Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
during which ancient egyptian month will blackberry die?
thout
paopi
hathor
koiak
tobi
meshir
paremhat
paremoude
pashons
paoni
epip
mesori
gasthred
banop
RIM'S GONNA KEEP GOING BABY!!!
View Results

• Locked thread
The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

fishmech posted:

you're aware uber's "research" program mostly consists of saying "boy self driving cars sure would be great for us" right

they bought otto, a legitimate self driving company.

also they are brazenly driving their cars in California even though they have been expressly forbidden to do so by the DMV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

all they need is to invent the first robot to qualify for a car loan

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

prefect posted:

which egyptian month is it, anyway?

it is the fourth month of akhet, ka-hr-ka, the 23rd day, in the 2063rd year of the reign of the immortal cleopatra vii

oh i looked up the wrong calendar gently caress i dunno

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
every action blackberry takes is to increase their hopes of someone outright purchasing them, they have no actual capacity for shipping anything

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope
Posting on the sex number page

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
blackberry - or the chinese manufacturer wearing their skin - are in a hotel room near ces showing off the new thing.

CNET - BlackBerry is back! Will anyone care?

quote:

While the BlackBerry brand is wounded, it is still a recognizable name. That's more than can be said for TCL or Alcatel, which have quietly drawn customers by offering more bang for their buck. The BlackBerry name will be independent from Alcatel, which has separate sales and marketing teams, Steve Cistulli, head of Alcatel's North American business, said in an interview Tuesday. Both sit under the TCL umbrella.

TCL's deal with BlackBerry also makes it the exclusive partner to build and distribute BlackBerrys worldwide, except in India, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Nepal and Bangladesh.

Cistulli has ambitious goals for BlackBerry. He expects to stabilize the BlackBerry business by the end of this year and get it back to a growth trajectory by 2018. He plans to tap into business customers who are coming up for their 24-month phone upgrades.

That sounds great, right? But it's also what BlackBerry has said in the past.

Where TCL plans to differ is the breadth of products. The company expects to come out with two BlackBerry devices at different prices this year, and more in 2018. BlackBerry misfired with the high-priced Priv and apparently introduced a low-cost version of its Android BlackBerry too late.

"We need to bring confidence back in the handsets themselves," Cistulli said.

TCL plans to lean on the relationships with carriers that it has fostered over the last three years -- a problem BlackBerry struggled with as it faced limited distribution.

For the next year, consumers aren't likely to see the BlackBerry name on any billboards. TCL will focus on getting carriers to sell the phones to business customers. But Cistulli believes there is an opportunity to get it back into the consumer market once TCL stabilizes the core corporate segment.

"Given the overall trajectory BlackBerry has had in recent years, don't count on this being an overnight success," said Ramon Llamas, an analyst at IDC. "There are a lot of moving parts to this, and it could take months or even into 2018 to see some results."

DigitalTrends - BLACKBERRY MERCURY: OUR FIRST TAKE

quote:

The same applies for the Mercury — though instead of targeting the budget and mid-range line, the new device will pit itself against flagship devices like Apple’s iPhone 7, the Samsung Galaxy S7, and Google’s Pixel. But BlackBerry has not released hardware specifications for the device, its price, or its release date — all we know is that official details will be announced around the time of Mobile World Congress in February.

Regardless, we managed to get some hands-on time with the Mercury, and we can talk about how it feels. The software was far from being finalized, so we can’t comment on it yet other than the fact that it runs Android 7.0 Nougat.

For all you hardcore BlackBerry fans — the Mercury has a QWERTY keyboard with capacitive gesture capabilities, akin to the physical keyboard on the Priv. That means you can swipe up and down, left and right on the keyboard to move through your home screen, or even scroll through apps.

What’s unique is the fingerprint sensor, which is embedded into the space bar on the front of the device. We couldn’t test it out yet, but it’s a unique way of adding the sensor onto the front panel — rather than extending the bezel to accommodate it. Above the keyboard are capacitive navigation buttons that offer strong haptic feedback.

The device carries a rectangular shape that’s quite elongated due to the physical keyboard — it’s smaller than a 5.5-inch phone such as the Google Pixel, and the screen is even smaller. BlackBerry hasn’t offered specific details yet, but the Mercury felt fairly chunky. It has a soft-touch back that seems a little cheap for a flagship phone.

There is a headphone jack, and what looks to be down-firing speakers. Sitting in between the speakers is a USB Type-C charging port.

The Mercury carries the same “Convenience Key” that’s available on the DTEK60 and the DTEK50 — it’s basically a customizable hotkey to specific apps or tools, such as the camera. The power button was on the left, and the volume rocker sat above the Convenience Key on the right.

To be clear, the Mercury is a joint venture from BlackBerry and TCL and the hardware and software aren’t final.

The user-interface is almost exactly stock Android, but BlackBerry has a few of its own tweaks to the OS. For example, the overview button shows previous apps in a grid-like layout. You’ll also find pre-installed BlackBerry apps, such as BBM, BlackBerry Hub, and DTEK by BlackBerry.

#BlackberryMobile

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

aaaaaahahhahahahahahahahahahaaaaaahahhahahahahahahahahahahhahahah

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
thats loving more pathetic than ouya setting up a loving tent in whatever game conventions loving parking lot lmao

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

The Kins posted:

blackberry - or the chinese manufacturer wearing their skin - are in a hotel room near ces showing off the new thing.

CNET - BlackBerry is back! Will anyone care?

DigitalTrends - BLACKBERRY MERCURY: OUR FIRST TAKE

#BlackberryMobile

sadness isnt new to blackberry

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

Waterloo, couldn't escape if you wanted to

I was defeated you won the war

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

isn't QNX an actually legit OS? it'd be funny if BBY actually had a comeback thanks to one lucky purchase

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

QNX used to be king poo poo of RTOS. I dunno if it's kept up, since I now realize that it's been 20 years since I used it seriously.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
it's still used in embedded systems. iirc ford moved their sync platform to it after wince poo poo the bed

why that made it a good fit for a mobile os re-imagining of a platform built on java and bailing wire, i'm unclear. but i'm not a visionary like the twin headed dragon of balsille/lazaridis

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
they had a nifty gui web enabled desktop os variant that fit on a floppy disk too

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

i was referring to QNX being a good OS in automative systems, both Google and Apple are using it for car integrations, maybe the latter will buy Blackberry for it b/c Project Titan failing lol

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
qnx is a decent os when your number one criteria is "doesn't crash" and number two is "kind of unixy". my car runs it with a Linux user land in the entertainment system. it was not a bad choice for a phone OS. the problem was in no way the kernel and base OS frameworks, it was the junk on top of that written by blackberry and also that they were way late to market and their hardware sucked.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Management posted:

qnx is a decent os when your number one criteria is "doesn't crash"

this would have been a massive improvement for rim. sadly that dream was not realized

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

infernal machines posted:

this would have been a massive improvement for rim. sadly that dream was not realized

*extremely zany clown voice*
doesn't matter how stable the OS is if the apps just can't stop slipping on banana peels hyuk hyuk hyuk

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
getting a tour of the plant on philip street was cool but even back in '07 you knew they couldn't compete with chinese mass manufacturing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
My fondest memories of working at rim are:

actually seeing management, including a director, getting purged during a round of layoffs.

playing 10 person office games of dota v 0.1 before anyone had really heard of it

getting so annoyed with the shittier and shittier requests from ux that we completely reskinned the product in plaid and had it autoplay some bagpipe midi.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

getting a tour of the plant on philip street was cool but even back in '07 you knew they couldn't compete with chinese mass manufacturing.

This is what it is now.

http://factorysquare.ca/

jony neuemonic
Nov 13, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

getting so annoyed with the shittier and shittier requests from ux that we completely reskinned the product in plaid and had it autoplay some bagpipe midi.

incredible.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Wheany posted:

Posting on the sex number page

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

The Management posted:

qnx is a decent os when your number one criteria is "doesn't crash" and number two is "kind of unixy". my car runs it with a Linux user land in the entertainment system. it was not a bad choice for a phone OS. the problem was in no way the kernel and base OS frameworks, it was the junk on top of that written by blackberry and also that they were way late to market and their hardware sucked.

yeah wasn't blackberry os "classic" basically their hellfucked pager os that grew up to become a really bad smartphone os? I remember articles about how they realized that improving bbyos wasn't going anywhere, they couldn't hire any talent good enough to take on cleaning the augean stables because those people would not want that job, and really they just couldn't attract good talent period. so they bought qnx and it was the right move

but they should have made it years earlier and by then they were so far behind iphone and android it was doomed to be too little too late

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

BobHoward posted:

yeah wasn't blackberry os "classic" basically their hellfucked pager os that grew up to become a really bad smartphone os? I remember articles about how they realized that improving bbyos wasn't going anywhere, they couldn't hire any talent good enough to take on cleaning the augean stables because those people would not want that job, and really they just couldn't attract good talent period. so they bought qnx and it was the right move

but they should have made it years earlier and by then they were so far behind iphone and android it was doomed to be too little too late

yeah, it was garbage in the same way palmos and s40 were. shared memory cooperative multitasking systems (more or less) that aren't designed to run apps as we know them. qnx gave them a modern kernel. buying it was actually a smart move because it saved them a lot of effort. but the outcome would have been exactly the same whether they used linux or any other modern kernel.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

remember when the playbook came out and you couldn't use bbm without logging out of your phone becasue they never envisioned a world where people have multiple blackberrys?

see also: google allo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Endless Mike posted:

remember when the playbook came out and you couldn't use bbm without logging out of your phone becasue they never envisioned a world where people have multiple blackberrys?

and it couldn't do email without being tethered to a blackberry

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

The Management posted:

but the outcome would have been exactly the same whether they used linux or any other modern kernel.

at the time, wasn't Linux too non-real-time enough to do their low power radio trickery? I remember arguing about that with my mom of all people

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

BobHoward posted:

blackberry os was originally meant to run on a portable revision of the 80386 and just handle displaying and sending email over a low speed wireless data network - not even interfacing with SMS services or traditional pager systems. this was gradually adapted into doing telephony and then actually running other applications.

you had to buy different devices if you wanted to use email on a microsoft exchange system or if you wanted to use email with a more typical pop3/imap system. needed to connect to both? gotta carry two of them

Only registered members can see post attachments!

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Endless Mike posted:

1to1 sql relationship buried deep, deep to the point of unfixable, lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

and it couldn't do email without being tethered to a blackberry

oh yeah lol

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

and then a truck full of those pieces of poo poo got "stolen"

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

i carried around one of these and still got laid. 2003 was a wonderful time.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

i carried around one of these and still got laid. 2003 was a wonderful time.

:hf:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

BobHoward posted:

that book "losing the signal" about the rise and fall of rim made this very clear - they literally had no roadmap going forward. every year was just a race to cram new features onto new hardware and get it out the door and try to manufacture enough to meet demand. no control, no refactoring, no architecture - just a giant sprawling unfixable mass of java spaghetti code. bbos is pretty much should be example one anytime someone talks about technical debt

buying qnx as a replacement for their shitass core was a good idea it was just years and years too late as you point out

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Subjunctive posted:

at the time, wasn't Linux too non-real-time enough to do their low power radio trickery? I remember arguing about that with my mom of all people

if you make your radio code an in-kernel driver, lock all the ram (or just don't have a swap device, which is likely in this context), and tweak the scheduler a bit (or use one of the existing realtime linux projects which have already done that), there's no reaosn why linux wouldn't work. most of the time, hard realtime systems only need a tiny bit of driver-ish code to actually be given hard realtime guarantees, and the rest of the system can deal with unpredictable delays, and everyone's happy because this is comparatively little work to get right

poo poo doesn't get real (time) until you decide "hey my entire gui stack needs to be hard realtime because it's the control panel for a nuclear power plant and we need to know that without fail every indicator on the virtual instrumentation panel updates in lockstep with the display refresh and also every operator button press during that interval has been fully processed and properly responded to"

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Endless Mike posted:

google ballo

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
according to research firm Gartner, blackberry's share of the global smartphone market has fallen to a rounded-off 0.0% after shipping just 207,000 phones last quarter.

entirely coincidentally, blackberry is suing nokia over patent infringement claims, specifically seeking payment instead of blocking nokia's usage of the technologies.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Why the Turnaround of BlackBerry Ltd. Is Finally Complete

quote:

If I were to leave the BlackBerry name out of this article, it would sound like a screaming buy as an up-and-coming tech startup which has shown a resilience to succeed and expand into new areas where it has a competitive advantage.

Unfortunately, this is BlackBerry we’re looking at, and this is where part of the problem lies. Investors and experts still see BlackBerry as a device manufacturer, and the market share figures paint a very bleak picture. Until that changes and we begin to see BlackBerry for what the company really is, it will still be viewed as risky investment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

lmao crackberry is still around

• Locked thread