Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point I'm totally baffled about what the complaints over Zelda DLC even ARE

IT EXISTS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Escobarbarian posted:

At this point I'm totally baffled about what the complaints over Zelda DLC even ARE

DLC bad

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Escobarbarian posted:

There are many more complaints about people complaining than there are complaints about the DLC.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Do you think Mario will have a cameo in this game? What about Luigi? I think salesman dressed up as Bowser would be cool, he could sell fire wands and fire arrows.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Escobarbarian posted:

They didn't show every single piece of content in a six hour video each 7 to 9 months in advance.
It made people disagree with the notion that DLC is inherently evil and ruining the leet gamerr life.

Gorgolflox posted:

Do you think Mario will have a cameo in this game? What about Luigi? I think salesman dressed up as Bowser would be cool, he could sell fire wands and fire arrows.

Straight up, no goof: I'm kinda hoping the DLC story and dungeon is Mario arriving to BotW via his adventures in Odyssey and having a crossover.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Escobarbarian posted:

Literally my only complaint is that Nintendo is so new to DLC that they don't do an Ultimate Edition (or whatever the hell they're called when they aren't GOTY edition) later, which is a pretty minor one.

I do think DLC is better when it's released a little bit after the base game comes out, though. That way, it's sort of exactly what video game sequels used to be, but at more affordable prices: more content in the same engine, often made by the same team but with a bit less effort, a lot more experience, and fewer constraints. DLC can often be the best part of a game, but it does sort of depend on the economic model, and that Nintendo is so focused on taking extra time to work on games make early DLC feel like money-grubbing to a lot of people. Everyone is more used to unpolished releases getting content with lessons learned based on working on the base game, whereas with Nintendo, it feels more like "We were working on this forever and we didn't want to delay things any further, so we pushed some of the content to early DLC."

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

It kinda sucks that you can't buy them separately since I'm only interested in the second pack.

I think that's a pretty reasonable complaint.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

It kinda sucks that you can't buy them separately since I'm only interested in the second pack.

I think that's a pretty reasonable complaint.

I definitely get this complaint but $20 for an expansion pack feels pretty worth it, and the rest is just side stuff. Like when I bought Witcher 3's DLC all together, I definitely didn't are about the stupid new outfits and never interacted with them, but I literally forget that they were part of what I paid for in comparison to what I got. If the new dungeons and map features and stuff are a wet fart, then we can say it's overpriced, but until then, it feels like an expansion pack that could be adequately price with a bunch of "But wait! You also get..." cosmetic poo poo that nobody cares about.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

I definitely get this complaint but $20 for an expansion pack feels pretty worth it, and the rest is just side stuff. Like when I bought Witcher 3's DLC all together, I definitely didn't are about the stupid new outfits and never interacted with them, but I literally forget that they were part of what I paid for in comparison to what I got. If the new dungeons and map features and stuff are a wet fart, then we can say it's overpriced, but until then, it feels like an expansion pack that could be adequately price with a bunch of "But wait! You also get..." cosmetic poo poo that nobody cares about.

Yeah if the second pack is sufficiently meaty I'll probably have no problem paying $20 when it comes out and fooling around a bit with the other stuff as well. I just think it's silly to only sell 'em as a bundle and that is different than what they've done in the past.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008
https://gfycat.com/PessimisticNeighboringDalmatian

:popeye:

I can't wait to roleplay as a B-52 bomber

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lemming posted:

:aaaaa:

The paraglider is going to end up one of the greatest additions to any video game ever. All the fun tricks, physics exploits, boundary breaks, speed running assists... the possibilities are endless

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can shoot fire arrows to create your own thermals? Holy poo poo. This is going to be the best game. I'll probably never beat it because I'm just loving up bokoblins all day.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I suspect even in BotW ends up disappointing it is at least going to lead to a lot of hilarious Youtube tricks.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Escobarbarian posted:

Autism

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

The fact that fires create updrafts is still insanely cool.

please don't sign your posts thank you

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ImpAtom posted:

Saying that they have 'no mental model' and are actually angry about it? Yes, it is. There are no valid points there that do not apply to the idea of DLC in general and mysteriously this poo poo isn't popping up in every other thread about games with DLC. People getting angry that they handled in in an way they're treating as offensive when "announce the DLC pack a few weeks before release with fairly loose ideas of what is involved" is literally industry standard.

You want to complain about DLC then fine, but making Zelda the game you're taking a stand on seems really weird when it isn't even the first Zelda game to have a huge chunk of DLC. (Insert "Well, that's Zelda WARRIORS, it's different!!!") Acting offended over it and how it's so cruel they announced it before release and coming an inch away from saying that Nintendo betrayed you just is silly.

I don't think anyone is actually angry though? Well, not on here anyway, probably the rest of the internet yeah. All I'm saying is they should have had some specifics about it, DLC tends to be pretty descriptive as to what you're getting: characters, story arcs, cosmetic poo poo, new areas. Hyrule Warriors was pretty clear-cut about what it was going to offer before DLC came out (though Nintendo didn't make it or the DLC). BOTW doesn't seem to offer a "huge chunk" of DLC, the biggest things it seems to offer is a new dungeon and Cave of Ordeals thing, neither of which tend to be long in any Zelda game. What's an "Additional Map Feature" anyway? Something that shows up on the 2D map you can pull up? Something on the physical map you run around on? A way to interact with either map?

Again, no one's upset or feels betrayed about Nintendo doing DLC and no one gives a poo poo about it being announced before the game is out. I hope info on the DLC comes quick and that what we're getting is pretty substantial and worth the price of admission.

Lemming posted:

If there isn't a Deku Scrub outfit to wear while doing this I'll be sad.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Lemming posted:

God drat this is the coolest poo poo. FIFTEEN DAYS

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Grand Theft Hyrule

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
Down thrust is back baby

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t
I hope the Fire Rod remains just like it was shown (unlimited fireballs but shatters if it deflects a hit) because oh my gosh magic rod and Bible magic book is old school as gently caress :shopkeeper:

Even 20 bux for some good DLC sounds fine to me, I'll pack my own lunch for a week. New content is cool. That's assuming I'll ever get tired of chilling the gently caress out with the rad old man at campfires while cooking up stuff I scrounged from the woods or hunted with a woodcutter's axe :black101:

Gorgolflox posted:

Down thrust is back baby

Zelda 2 is back and it's been putting points into Attack :black101:

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Escobarbarian posted:

since people don't know the game yet and they don't want to spoil it, they're left with vague wording like "map feature" which i cant even tell if that means like a new rock formation or like a button on the gui

also giving people an special bonus for preordering dlc before the game is out is kinda weird and does not register well

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

Lemming posted:

Current Mood: intensifying.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:

s.i.r.e. posted:

What's an "Additional Map Feature" anyway? Something that shows up on the 2D map you can pull up? Something on the physical map you run around on? A way to interact with either map?
It's the Tingle Tuner

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

My problem with the dlc is that you can only buy both packs, and the first pack is (or at least sounds like) stuff that would ordinarily be part of the base game. Really hoping that hard mode is a Master Quest-style reworking of the game because that's the only way to justify charging extra for a difficulty mode

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
OK guys, I just got some secret info. That infrared camera is also an ir blaster. If you own a Gameboy color and links awakening, you can sync it with the right joycon. This is what that map feature thing is. You get a random dungeon from the Gameboy game.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Lemming posted:

Rock. loving. Hard.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

OK guys, I just got some secret info. That infrared camera is also an ir blaster. If you own a Gameboy color and links awakening, you can sync it with the right joycon. This is what that map feature thing is. You get a random dungeon from the Gameboy game.

Your uncle works for Nintendo too?

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Cojawfee posted:

I only have an original grey brick GameBoy. Goddamn these hidden costs keep piling up, wtf Nintendo :argh:

Geomancing
Jan 8, 2004

I am not an egghead. I am well-read.
I'd like to be excited, but at this point it seems unlikely that I'm going to be able to preorder a Switch before launch.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I could not possibly get any more hyper for this game. Holy poo poo.

Lobstertainment
Jun 10, 2004

I got a hunch that the story dlc will be playing as zelda.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
It's going to be a hardcore survival sim where you play as Groose, who canonically has no special powers.

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

Instead of restoring the master sword, he journies to reconstruct THE GROOSENATOR to destroy ganon with instead.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Is the DLC coming to WiiU or is it Switch-exclusive?

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

The real question about the DLC: Does it include horse armor?

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

PerrineClostermann posted:

Playing Gachapon for cosmetics is not a lovely DLC practice.

And I haven't played Overwatch in ages, bastards need to support my monitor correctly :argh:

Overwatch's loot boxes are a far, far grosser practice than DLC.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I remember seeing Overwatch had these new cool Christmas costumes and being excited only to find out that they were limited time only and tied to the random loot system and designed to make me throw 100 bucks at the game in praying that I get a costume I like so then I didn't do that and played another game instead

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Augus posted:

I remember seeing Overwatch had these new cool Christmas costumes and being excited only to find out that they were limited time only and tied to the random loot system and designed to make me throw 100 bucks at the game in praying that I get a costume I like so then I didn't do that and played another game instead

Literally what I did.

Except for the Summer collection.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Yeah, when people are ok with bullshit like that it's hard to get upset over DLC.

Overwatch is a good game with terrible practices that makes me avoid the gently caress out of it, but clearly some people are OK with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

My dream "New Game Plus" style feature would have been if in Wind Waker they totally rearranged the grid so all the islands were in different spots.

Although I guess some major plot ones would stay locked in place, but still.