Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Lightning Lord posted:

Why do you think he likes Kushner so much? It isn't because he's loving his daughter, that's for drat sure.

That's exactly what it is, he sees Kushner as a younger version of himself. He's a dullard real estate investor with a rich dad who also wants to gently caress Ivanka, so he's not wrong!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Oh wow look the Conservatives are being poo poo again:

https://twitter.com/davebeninger/status/832068972153409537

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

One thing people need to understand about extreme far right Jews is that when they look at a modern white supremacist, they don't see someone who would have put them in the loving ovens in Germany. They see someone who will help them oppress and kill Muslims. Levant isn't lying when he says there were Jews at his event. He's loving one of them after all.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

PT6A posted:

The most surprising part of this article is not the conservatives laughing at him, it's this:

quote:

"I take pride in my background," Sohi said.

"I think it does demonstrate a streak of elitist attitude in the Conservative party, where maybe they don't appreciate we have working-class people in Parliament in the Liberal government who are making a difference in the lives of Canadians."

I think what he meant to say was "they don't appreciate we have people striving to join the middle class in Parliament"

vyelkin fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Feb 16, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

PT6A posted:

loving :murder:

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

vyelkin posted:

The most surprising part of this article is not the conservatives laughing at him, it's this:

I think what he meant to say was "they don't appreciate we have people striving to join the middle class in Parliament"

I thought the term "w*rking cl*ss" was banned in Canadian political thought. This is shocking language to hear from an MP.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I am also a working class person who makes six figures a year

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

Is this a thing we needed to stand against in this country?

My, I have been out of the loop a while.

Sometimes I declare to my wife that we have just converted to hardcore Islamism and we are now abiding by sharia law so she needs to do what I say without arguing any further and then she usually tells me to gently caress off and I explain that she can't say that and is property now which seems to only inflame the situation to the point of ridiculousness and we laugh and make up and then I declare we are back to atheism for now.

Verdict: Not a national cultural threat/trump card for all domestic arguments. Yet. :ninja:

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Lightning Lord posted:

One thing people need to understand about extreme far right Jews is that when they look at a modern white supremacist, they don't see someone who would have put them in the loving ovens in Germany. They see someone who will help them oppress and kill Muslims. Levant isn't lying when he says there were Jews at his event. He's loving one of them after all.

To be fair, far-right Israelis/Jews are basically 99% on board with the white supremacist movement, with the notable disagreement as to "are Jews white?" I mean, Israel was literally sterilizing Ethiopian Jews without their consent for a time. Zionism itself bears the unfortunate marks of, shall we say in this context, European supremacy -- even Modern Hebrew bears the marks of European influence, if you look at phonetics and vocabulary -- so it should be no surprise that the result of the Zionist movement has itself incorporated a great deal of the racism that was present in the society from whence it came.

The good news is that there are lots of Jewish people, and lots of Israelis, who recognize what's happening and realize that Islamophobia is no different in essence than the anti-Semitism that lead to the Holocaust. They don't hold political power right now, sadly, but I don't think all hope is lost.

Baronjutter posted:

I thought the term "w*rking cl*ss" was banned in Canadian political thought. This is shocking language to hear from an MP.

I was hoping you'd star out the "r" so I could make a joke on the "wanking class." Sad!

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
Just found out about Stuart Mclean, I used to listen to the Vinyl cafe back when I was a kid :(

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

I'm actually kind of shocked so many people listened to/listen to radio. I think the last time I listened to the radio as more than background noise was to hear Flames games before I was allowed to have a TV in my bedroom.

RIP dude I've never heard of, but apparently a lot of people cared about :smith:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

PT6A posted:

I'm actually kind of shocked so many people listened to/listen to radio. I think the last time I listened to the radio as more than background noise was to hear Flames games before I was allowed to have a TV in my bedroom.

RIP dude I've never heard of, but apparently a lot of people cared about :smith:

His most popular story is midway down the CBC's obit page: http://www.cbc.ca/news/entertainment/stuart-mclean-dead-obit-1.3984826 Listen to "Dave Cooks the Turkey" to understand why we're all sad.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

PT6A posted:

I mean, Israel was literally sterilizing Ethiopian Jews without their consent for a time.

While hormonal birth control can technically be accurately referred to as sterilization doing so in this context is misleading.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

That seems like a great hair to split.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug
The difference between birth control injections that last several months and lifetime sterilization is a pretty loving big hair.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

That's still hosed up as hell dude

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I really don't understand why out of all the horrible poo poo Israel does, people feel the need to straight up lie about that. Sterilization is a real word with a real meaning, and pretending that birth control is the same thing as sterilization just makes you look like a lying rear end in a top hat.

Nine of Eight
Apr 28, 2011

LICK IT OFF, AND PUT IT BACK IN
Dinosaur Gum
Yeah yeah, giving depo provera that has pretty lovely side effects to people without telling them for decades is "not that bad" because they're black and will breed like rabbits (conveniently ignores the Haredim breeding like rabbits) :jerkbag:
Edit: though it is true it isn't sterilization, which we Canadians are more familiar with when native women go in for surgery in the prairies

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
If it's actually bad then why do people have to lie about it?

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

Pillbug

ChairMaster posted:

I really don't understand why out of all the horrible poo poo Israel does, people feel the need to straight up lie about that. Sterilization is a real word with a real meaning, and pretending that birth control is the same thing as sterilization just makes you look like a lying rear end in a top hat.

I don't know, but I think it ties in with how some people get really upset when you distinguish between different levels of bad.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Oh my bad it was only temporary sterilization instead of permanent. gently caress me, right?

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dude nobody even likes Israel in this thread, you don't have to lie about how awful they are.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Patrick Spens posted:

While hormonal birth control can technically be accurately referred to as sterilization doing so in this context is misleading.

While being removed from reserves, aboriginal children who are forced to live with white foster parents are not exactly giving up their ethnicity but instead just adopting a new culture.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

ChairMaster posted:

Dude nobody even likes Israel in this thread, you don't have to lie about how awful they are.

Good thing I didn't, then.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Dave Hemstad on Stuart McLean. Starts at 13:35.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

Marijuana Nihilist posted:

This is a pretty good essay though and I don't really see the author having a problem with political correctness so much as being concerned over whether or not transsexuality actually upholds gender norms rather than subverting them? For example:

In a sea of terrible arguments, this one made my jaw drop. "It's the trans activists who are enforcing an unnecessary binary! Also, you had better not ask me to use your made up pronouns like they!"

e: speaking of trans issues, I wonder if there's any new about why the second reading on C-16 hasn't wrapped up...

it's the goddamn tories posted:

“Adjourning bills can be used as a mechanism of delay, and such practice does not do our institution credit,” [Representative of the Government in the Senate Peter Harder] pointed out. “Our chamber must deliberate … but we must also decide,” he added. “We must remember that each day a bill like this is adjourned, justice is denied.” Although Harder stopped short of formally serving notice that he’s prepared to attempt to force an end to the debate by invoking closure, he made it clear that he hasn’t ruled it out. “In situations where the critic of a bill does not speak within a reasonable time frame, the rules ultimately afford this chamber remedies to move forward the people’s business, and ought to be used.”

For her part, deputy Conservative Senate leader Yonah Martin, in whose name the bill has been repeatedly adjourned, rose to “assure” the chamber that her intent is not simply to stall the vote, but to ensure that senators “who do wish to speak to it” have the opportunity to do so. She didn’t mention any names, but one Conservative senator who is expected to rise on the bill is Sen. Don Plett, although the timing of his intervention remains a mystery.

[...]

During the last parliament, Plett successfully stonewalled a similar New Democrat private members’ bill through the strategic use of adjournment requests.

The Dark One fucked around with this message at 12:48 on Feb 16, 2017

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Don Plett got upset that another senator called him a bigot for the poo poo he's been pulling on the trans bills. He even whined about it on Twitter. I took the opportunity to call him a transphobic bigot to his face on there.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

PT6A posted:

This infuriates me to no end.

what the gently caress is wrong with those people? I hope they are outed. Name and shame these assholes.

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Vintersorg posted:

This infuriates me to no end.

what the gently caress is wrong with those people? I hope they are outed. Name and shame these assholes.

Look at the question he was about to answer. It's just the usual question period performance art, cons were expecting some long winded middle class non-answer and got loving smashed with the 4D chess. Beautiful.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Entropic posted:

I've been a regular CBC1 listener most of my life.

Entropic posted:

I think I've noted here before, that when the subject of CBC funding comes up, the CBC-haters tend to be the people for whom "CBC" = "CBC Television" while the people who view it as sacrosanct are the people who think of "The CBC" as being Radio 1.

R1 is cool and good

The Butcher posted:

Sometimes I declare to my wife that we have just converted to hardcore Islamism and we are now abiding by sharia law so she needs to do what I say without arguing any further and then she usually tells me to gently caress off and I explain that she can't say that and is property now which seems to only inflame the situation to the point of ridiculousness and we laugh and make up and then I declare we are back to atheism for now.

Verdict: Not a national cultural threat/trump card for all domestic arguments. Yet. :ninja:

Don't rock the boat of your marriage

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

PT6A posted:

God drat it's time to pull out the guillotines

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Transit drivers are one of the few professions left where a high-school education can earn you a middle class wage. Yes, middle class. Bus drivers are not working class.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
They make like 70-100k depending on overtime, comparable to autoworkers. Compare this to school bus drivers for a second.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

sitchensis posted:

Transit drivers are one of the few professions left where a high-school education can earn you a middle class wage. Yes, middle class. Bus drivers are not working class.

Yeah, so gently caress em, right? Rich bastards driving around all day, they deserve the scorn.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

murked by dragon posted:

God drat it's time to pull out the guillotines

Gravity is just a theory.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Skippy Granola posted:

Yeah, so gently caress em, right? Rich bastards driving around all day, they deserve the scorn.

Yeah, I don't understand these posts. I guess bus drivers are the bourgeois elite and need to be knocked down a few pegs to poverty wages

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

Skippy Granola posted:

I guess the tone of my post comes off like that. Didn't mean to. I have mad respect for transit drivers. They deserve every cent, if not more. It's a lovely job and their union gets all the blame whenever funding woes come up at <insert transit agency here>. But I think it goes to show how out-of-touch the Liberals are when a bus driver, to them, is what defines working class. It isn't.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Risky Bisquick posted:

They make like 70-100k depending on overtime, comparable to autoworkers. Compare this to school bus drivers for a second.

They regularly work split shifts and have a heightened risk of physical assault on the job.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Eh factory workers used to make good money. They were still working class. Working refers to the job type more than to the salary.

As long as you're not the 1% or the homeless, you're still also middle class.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

sitchensis posted:

I guess the tone of my post comes off like that. Didn't mean to. I have mad respect for transit drivers. They deserve every cent, if not more. It's a lovely job and their union gets all the blame whenever funding woes come up at <insert transit agency here>. But I think it goes to show how out-of-touch the Liberals are when a bus driver, to them, is what defines working class. It isn't.

They're pretty meaningless terms anyway. All it means when they say "working class" is "I want you to view me as a champion of regular people, not at all as an out of touch politician."

"Middle class" means "tax cuts for business at the cost of poor people!"

Just two different pitches of dog whistle