Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Given how strong parries are right now, Shugoki is probably one of the weaker heroes once people figure out how to work around your passive. Berserker is probably the weakest assassin. Incidentally they're both my favorite classes. Not bad in terms of raw killing power, but once you figure out how to deal with them they have a rough time getting anything done.

You should play them both because they're cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
incidentally Berserker is really good in dominion simply because he can crowd control people effortlessly with his carry AND his unblockable works wonders when you're gangbanging someone so they cant autoblock you from behind

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I can't wait until I get to play normal hours so I stop getting matched up with prestiged players with like 4X the gear score as me.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

The weakest class is obviously whichever one I am playing because I got killed in a honoraburu gangbang.

Badly Jester
Apr 9, 2010

Bitches!

Zzulu posted:

incidentally Berserker is really good in dominion simply because he can crowd control people effortlessly with his carry AND his unblockable works wonders when you're gangbanging someone so they cant autoblock you from behind

Are you talking about the raider? Berserker doesn't have either of the things you mentioned. And yeah, that's what vanguards are for.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm close to buying this but there's something I keep thinking about that holds me back. You guys let me know before that it's not some sort of super twitchy warp speed chess match fighting game kind of thing, but I keep noticing when someone does badly they're greeted with a 10+ second respawn rate. Even the respawn time in Overwatch really bothers me sometime. Will I have to take this 100% serious and get real good to not be completely frustrated? I'm thinking Dominion is going to be my main focus, as the directness and intensity of 1v1/2v2 turns me off. I want to run around, smack on AI, get in fights with other players, and at least not feel like every battle is the equivalent of FGs online.

I don't know why I'm so indecisive about this game. It sounds cool as poo poo but also a little scary!

You can compete without being a big twitch guy. I like fighting games, but I'm slow and bad at them. I'm holding my own in For Honor. There's enough variety in the characters that some of them lend themselves to people with poor reflexes.

The respawn rate and the run back is roughly the same length as in Overwatch.

It might not be for you if 1v1 and 2v2s are a turn off. Dominion is still about dueling, only with map control wrapped around it.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Badly Jester posted:

Are you talking about the raider? Berserker doesn't have either of the things you mentioned. And yeah, that's what vanguards are for.

oh yeah sorry, i always mix them up for some reason

Large Axe Man vs Many Small Axe Man

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Kilometers Davis posted:

I'm close to buying this but there's something I keep thinking about that holds me back. You guys let me know before that it's not some sort of super twitchy warp speed chess match fighting game kind of thing, but I keep noticing when someone does badly they're greeted with a 10+ second respawn rate. Even the respawn time in Overwatch really bothers me sometime. Will I have to take this 100% serious and get real good to not be completely frustrated?

Yes, if you seriously find 13 seconds of downtime to be impossible to sit through then you are probably going to have a bad time.

If I wait out the death timer in the hopes of getting revived I could actually spend an entire 2 minutes throughout the course of the match not actively playing and I generally have a positive kdr.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

breaks posted:

The assassin classes have a timed guard, you need to move it again after 2 seconds or whatever it is exactly in order to be able to guard. The other ones you can just leave it there.

Are there any other gotcha's like this? Or any way to get a feel for these kind of tips?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I don't think some people know how Dominion works. Even though the other team had two guys with like 15 kills, they still lost by like 500 points because they were too busy playing call of duty rules with k/d ratio as the primary aspect. then once they were breaking we devoured them and pushed them all off a cliff.

How the gently caress do I fight Shugoki, his super armor shakes off all my poo poo. Also what's the best way to kill those loving Nobushis because their combos are way too fast. I've resorted to just hoping I picked a character like Lawbringer and infinitely use charge moves on a Nobushi to corral her all day into walls.

belt
May 12, 2001

by Nyc_Tattoo
I really like conqueror. I'm pretty poo poo with him but whenever I do make a play with him it's sooooo satisfying.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

MinibarMatchman posted:

I don't think some people know how Dominion works. Even though the other team had two guys with like 15 kills, they still lost by like 500 points because they were too busy playing call of duty rules with k/d ratio as the primary aspect. then once they were breaking we devoured them and pushed them all off a cliff.

How the gently caress do I fight Shugoki, his super armor shakes off all my poo poo. Also what's the best way to kill those loving Nobushis because their combos are way too fast. I've resorted to just hoping I picked a character like Lawbringer and infinitely use charge moves on a Nobushi to corral her all day into walls.

Play defensive vs Shugoki. Focus on parrying, always have counter-guardbreaking at the back of your mind and wait for him to be exhaust or near exhaustion before you do anything. He loses like 1/2 to 2/3 stamina from a parry, so it doesn't really take that much turtling.

I don't actually know all his moves or how to handle them. The few Shugoki I've fought kind of deflated after a few parries. He might have armored grapples that can't be guardbroke for all I know...

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Feb 16, 2017

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
I got this game yesterday. Played a couple of PvE domination matches and then watched legion. It was fun, the game that it, Legion is kind of odd. I'll play again today after work and during my wife's TV time

Anyways, I'm a Viking because they are the coolest and even Japanese swordsmiths say that their words suck compared to western stuff.

But I got this blade. It is literally just a blade and some Viking cufflinks. How does the sword blade thing work? Can I just equip it and I keep the same grip? Does everyone just trash most of their stuff or is it worth upgrading?

And how do I see how much gold I have?

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits
Steel (gold) is listed on the top left. Most weapons have multiple customization options, so you can switch out grips, cross guards and blades individually.

Upgrade the stuff that boosts the stats supporting your playstyle while decreasing the stats that you don't need, ignore the looks of the gear as you can change the look for something you prefer anyway for some steel and however the stuff is called you get for trashing items. Anyway, trash anything you don't like in terms of stats or looks, cause there is no reason to keep it.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

MinibarMatchman posted:

For Shugoki guard break him to drop his armor if you're finding it too hard to poke through. This works even if he counters so there's not really a reason not to. Then you can play more offensively and parry the gently caress out of him and be ready to sidestep his bear hug.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 15:26 on Feb 16, 2017

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Donnerberg posted:

You can compete without being a big twitch guy. I like fighting games, but I'm slow and bad at them. I'm holding my own in For Honor. There's enough variety in the characters that some of them lend themselves to people with poor reflexes.

The respawn rate and the run back is roughly the same length as in Overwatch.

It might not be for you if 1v1 and 2v2s are a turn off. Dominion is still about dueling, only with map control wrapped around it.

titties posted:

Yes, if you seriously find 13 seconds of downtime to be impossible to sit through then you are probably going to have a bad time.

If I wait out the death timer in the hopes of getting revived I could actually spend an entire 2 minutes throughout the course of the match not actively playing and I generally have a positive kdr.

gently caress it I'm feeling brave. Bought a copy on PSN and it should be downloaded in 3 hours. I just can't pass up a directional, tactical sword fighting game.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Kilometers Davis posted:

gently caress it I'm feeling brave. Bought a copy on PSN and it should be downloaded in 3 hours. I just can't pass up a directional, tactical sword fighting game.

you should be fine, like others have said there will always be uber-skilled people but also a load of people on the middle ground. The modes are diverse enough to cater to everyone i.e. Dominion giving you chances to do things other than 1v1, Elimination group matches giving you chances to team up and be a rotten scoundrel, straight up 1V1 stuff, and you can even match up against AI bots of varying difficulty which is still enjoyable.

Worst comes to worst you'll probably be with some ubergod person on your team half the time who can help carry your rear end. Even the lowest tier players can win against swordmasters with charge moves and good grabs. Also use the Vs AI modes and lvl 3 duels to practice things like parries, proper counters, etc because practicing for a day or two will make a big difference.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
I am so bad at Conq. But when nail that flying shield bash and drop a mofo off a ledge is just something incredible.

That's right, i shield bashed so good his teammate's connection failed

Psycho Society
Oct 21, 2010
I was kind of wondering lol

Kamikaze Raider
Sep 28, 2001

So, am I crazy, or do friendly attacks break an allied Shugoki's Unbreakable Stance? If so, that's hilarious.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I always kind of thought that the whole notion of "honorable" behavior in this game was more of a snide joke than a real issue, but I spent most of yesterday evening doing 4v4 with some people on the Discord and holy loving moley I guess a lot of people take it really seriously? The mind boggles.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Evil Canadian posted:

Ok I gotta stop doing this to myself where I find out new poo poo literally after I post, but the raider unblockable is actually completely guaranteed after a guard break. It takes like 70% of your stam to do so but its more than a light attack anyway(but still less than most other peoples heavy attacks, naturally).

I think there might be a super small window if you go GB -> ZA, but if you go GB -> Carry Ground Toss -> ZA it's completely safe. But yeah, unless I'm close to full stam I usually try to take em to the wall for a stun into light combo.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Here's to hoping they don't add ranked modes, because I don't want to deal with more spergs yelling about ehonor Everytime they lose.

shoplifter
May 23, 2001

bored before I even began
Bonus eHonor for throwing someone off a cliff

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

FunkMonkey posted:

I always kind of thought that the whole notion of "honorable" behavior in this game was more of a snide joke than a real issue, but I spent most of yesterday evening doing 4v4 with some people on the Discord and holy loving moley I guess a lot of people take it really seriously? The mind boggles.

LOL if anyone thinks there is honor beyond the ironic game title. 4V4 matches I was in usually had a 25% chance of the guy I was about to duel hightailing it away so he could help tripleteam another guy. Sometimes it's annoying to chase people but most of the time it results in teams splintering off or ignoring points in Dominion/revives in Elimination.

I almost wish I had the PC version to experience the salt that people have, though on PS4 the amount of angry fuckers leaving a match after getting immediately spitroasted by a double-team of Warlords is wide. It's pretty funny.

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Keegers posted:

Here's to hoping they don't add ranked modes, because I don't want to deal with more spergs yelling about ehonor Everytime they lose.

Ranked modes are pretty good containment zones though.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
This game is reminding me of Jedi Outcast MP.

"WTF U HAV 2 BOW B4 WE DUEL U FUKIN FAGET"

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Atoramos posted:

Are there any other gotcha's like this? Or any way to get a feel for these kind of tips?

Watch the "How to play" videos for each hero you want to play

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
On basically every 4v4 elimination there is a powerup directly behind where you spawn. I start every single round by turning around and booking it for the nearest one. And then I'll duel if the person chased me because I've now got bonus health or damage and they don't. A lot of the time I'll still lose because I'm really bad but damnit you have to try

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

UberJew posted:

On basically every 4v4 elimination there is a powerup directly behind where you spawn. I start every single round by turning around and booking it for the nearest one. And then I'll duel if the person chased me because I've now got bonus health or damage and they don't. A lot of the time I'll still lose because I'm really bad but damnit you have to try

Personally I love this because it gives me a good opportunity to get off a running stab or tackle as they stand in the powerup icon like a doofus. I had one guy running all over the map collecting powerups until 3 of us were sick of his poo poo and intercepted him

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Atoramos posted:

I'll just post these links again for you or anyone else that just got the game. They're a series of guides for every character and explain their unique mechanics and all their moves, as well as strategy. They even have nice little .gifs that show everything. They helped me a ton.

Guide to the Warden + Advanced Mechanics

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

MinibarMatchman posted:

Personally I love this because it gives me a good opportunity to get off a running stab or tackle as they stand in the powerup icon like a doofus. I had one guy running all over the map collecting powerups until 3 of us were sick of his poo poo and intercepted him

Usually people hesitate a moment and that's enough that I'll finish before they get there, at least with Warden. I've only got like 4 hours on the game (plus like 2 hours on the last day of the beta) though I'm very bad

Haroshia
Feb 27, 2011

You think this is a game?

Trillhouse posted:

I'll just post these links again for you or anyone else that just got the game. They're a series of guides for every character and explain their unique mechanics and all their moves, as well as strategy. They even have nice little .gifs that show everything. They helped me a ton.

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

Where's the guide to Lawbringer :colbert:

Rainuwastaken
Oct 30, 2012

Another blue ribbon for Hecarim.

Haroshia posted:

Where's the guide to Lawbringer :colbert:

Step 1: Play a different class.
Seriously though, I want my giant armored man to be good but he's just so sloooooooow.

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe

Trillhouse posted:

Guide to the Conqueror

Guide to the Peacekeeper

Guide to the Kensei

Guide to the Orochi

Guide to the Nobushi

Guide to the Raider

Guide to the Warlord

Guide to the Berserker

Guide to Feints

Guide to Dominion

Thank you for these! Should probably be in the op. I'm excited to get home and try the warlord, been a bit bored with the warden since all I've played are the campaign stuff.

Feindfeuer
Jun 20, 2013

shoot men, receive credits

Rainuwastaken posted:

Step 1: Play a different class.
Seriously though, I want my giant armored man to be good but he's just so sloooooooow.

I enjoy the Lawbringer, I am a terrible person. :smith:

The trick is playing against people that are even worse.

Mr.Citrus
Jul 27, 2005

What can I do as a warlord against an aggressive rushdown orochi? It feels like none of my attacks are able to catch them when they dodge to the left or right.

It's pretty much the only class I feel I have trouble with as warlord

Mr.Citrus fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Feb 16, 2017

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Anybody have any info on Peacekeeper not working as intended? I've already searched on the first page/guide and google-fu'd a bit, but all I'm finding are glorious "nerf X" threads. For some reason, I've only heard the comment pop up on a few Twitch streams from both the streamers and viewers. Is this an actual problem or are people just making excuses for poor gameplay and losing?

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Darth Windu posted:

Thank you for these! Should probably be in the op. I'm excited to get home and try the warlord, been a bit bored with the warden since all I've played are the campaign stuff.

Warlord is my favorite class. He's super fun and maybe the second best class in the game behind Warden.

I can give a basic gameplan for a starting player. I'd recommend closing distance with the leaping heavy, the headbutt, or his zone attack. Mix it up so you're not predictable. Then try to land a light>heavy chain and go from there. Use the headbutt a lot, it helps keep their stamina down and has a guaranteed light attack after you land it. If they keep attacking a lot, remember you're heavy attacks are uninterruptable so Warlord comes out on top in a trading situation. Perfect defense (block down) is good against fast assassin classes that spam light attacks and dodge around. Then pop a headbutt out of nowhere.

If they're playing very defensively, headbutt into guardbreak into top heavy is very nice. Warlord can't land a side heavy after a guard break though. He has great parries too. Parry into guardbreak (timing here is very tight) throws out a shield bash move that usually saps all their stamina and gives you an opening for a guaranteed heavy attack. If they're out of stamina you can try throwing them again and they'll fall on their rear end on the ground. You can then land another heavy attack.

Warlord is strong because of all the options he has. Mix it up against good players.

d3lness posted:

Anybody have any info on Peacekeeper not working as intended? I've already searched on the first page/guide and google-fu'd a bit, but all I'm finding are glorious "nerf X" threads. For some reason, I've only heard the comment pop up on a few Twitch streams from both the streamers and viewers. Is this an actual problem or are people just making excuses for poor gameplay and losing?

I've heard the second and third attacks of the infamous triple stab don't do any damage anymore. I can't confirm though.

Trillhouse fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
From watching the pros I don't think lawbringer is particularly bad? IS it possible people are just bad with it..