Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Stale Saltines posted:

the pcmasterrace people may be obnoxious assholes, but they ain't wrong.

Obsessing over the machine playing the games and not the actual games is terrible and pcmr nerds are the worst of all nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
"Horror" games have always been bad and seems like they will always be bad.

RE4 and STALKER being the only exceptions

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.

basic hitler posted:

you are a loving pox on anyone who understands the value of their money/doesn't have enough of it.

lol

The Skeleton King
Jul 16, 2011

Right now undead are at the top of my shit list. Undead are complete fuckers. Those geists are fuckers. Necromancers are fuckers. Necrosavants are big time fuckers. Skeletons aren't too bad except when they bleed everyone in the company. Zombos are at least not too bad.

Metroid should not have any kind of plot connecting the games or any kind of story to begin with. The only good thing about metroid is the atmosphere, exploration, and creature design. Nothing else about metroid has any value. Samus is lame, and nobody should care about her lame backstory or thoughts and feelings.

It is good that metroid is dead. Prime 1 and 2 were the last good games and they had bad controls.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Star Citizen is a good game and will see a full release in the future.

Star Citizen is not game and will never be released.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

San Andreas was a step down from Vice City. Too ambitious for the hardware and most missions were "go into a warehouse and shoot everyone." Vice City had much more interesting missions, music, and voice acting, and soaring around in a helicopter and leaping off buildings with a motorcycle was amazing.

Being a Mac gamer in the 90s was a cold wasteland, but Escape Velocity exclusivity almost made it worthwhile. Blizzard gets a pass forever for making their game discs compatible with iMacs, when most companies were sane enough to ignore that 1% of the market.

Fallout: NV complete for $5 on Steam with a decent PC is a fine bargain. Fallout: NV for full price when it was released was a clunky broken game with horrible load times and unfinishable quests. This should be taken into account before considering NV for "best of all time" lists.

Arkham City is the best superhero game, then Freedom Force.

The Simpsons Arcade is an interesting relic for fans of the show, but as a game is a below-average button masher. Especially when beat-em-up gems like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Punisher, or Aliens v. Predator exist.

Peddle2thaMetal
Apr 17, 2012

ooooooooo yeaaaahhh
Video games should be FUN instead of tedious/boring/spergy... I'm looking at you, "crafting". Also, more games should have multiplayer for one screen/copy... I like/miss being able to all sit on the couch and play some games.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Okay here goes:

In terms of a self-contained plot the Witcher 2 has a better written and more interesting story than Witcher 3. Now, while 3 has a very good story, and some of the best NPCs I have ever seen in a game with very realistic portrayals of people in general, the story unfolds a little too slowly and feels a little hampered at times. Witcher 2 is a worse game in every other respect because it's not very expansive and they hadn't quite perfected the combat system etc yet, but the story was very direct and interesting I didn't feel like I was taking a million detours.

That being said I'll probably never ever play the Witcher 2 again because lol Witcher 3.

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

witcher more like bitcher

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The Simpsons Arcade is an interesting relic for fans of the show, but as a game is a below-average button masher. Especially when beat-em-up gems like Cadillacs and Dinosaurs, Punisher, or Aliens v. Predator exist.

Yeah but the trippy dream level and Smithers as a goddamn suicide bomber were both really funny.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Calling the combat in any witcher game "perfected" is a pretty long reach.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Yeah I'm a fan of the Witcher 3 but wow they cannot make the combat satisfying at all.

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Well there aren't gonna be any more Witcher games so it's as perfected as it's gonna get.

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib
Fun and realism is not mutually exclusive, you don't remove realism to make a game more fun and you don't remove the fun from a game to make it more realistic.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

It's leagues better than pretty much every other gacha game I've played though (DBZ Dokkan, that Shadow Wars thing some idiot in PYF was going on about, etc).

that's just the honeymoon period people experience when they find a new F2P game they like

"Honestly guys, __________ isn't like the rest. This one is way better than _________ "

That guy that dropped $200 to get 16 five star units hasn't yet realized there is no real game. That feeling causing you to defend it is exactly what the companies are aiming for when marketing their games and the goons salivating over little golden fightmans and spending their disposable income is the game.

It's a contest to see who has the least amount of self control because there is no point in getting gold fightmans other than that risk reward tingling in your brain since it doesn't matter if you have 1 or 20 of them because you can run all of the games content with free units in maybe two days.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I Said No posted:

dagoth ur did nothing wrong
Righto

quote:

spore wasn't that bad
Wrongus

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Spore is similar to Starbound where nerds built their own fantasy dream game and played imaginary GI Joes with it, putting the blame for them falling for marketing and hype on the people hyping the project instead of them believing it because they wanted to believe. The evil publisher said this game would be the second coming of Digital Jesus, he is a liar! And an rear end in a top hat! The game sucks!

Having known nothing about Spore it was a pretty good game and most of the people that constantly poo poo on it, to this day are either opinion groupies that want to poo poo on something because other people poo poo on it or are nerds that can't face their child like imaginations being the problem with them constantly being disappointed in life.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Space Crabs posted:

Spore is similar to Starbound where nerds built their own fantasy dream game and played imaginary GI Joes with it, putting the blame for them falling for marketing and hype on the people hyping the project instead of them believing it because they wanted to believe. The evil publisher said this game would be the second coming of Digital Jesus, he is a liar! And an rear end in a top hat! The game sucks!

Having known nothing about Spore it was a pretty good game and most of the people that constantly poo poo on it, to this day are either opinion groupies that want to poo poo on something because other people poo poo on it or are nerds that can't face their child like imaginations being the problem with them constantly being disappointed in life.

see also: No Man's Sky, which is a pretty cool game for what it is

e: the multiplayer thing was kind of a drag though

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

The reason people poo poo on Spore that Will Wright had hyped it as a sciencey game about evolution which looked amazing, but when the game actually came out it was more of a cute game about playing evolution with plush toys. That, and the DRM.
It wasn't a terrible game, just not very good.

G-III
Mar 4, 2001

The witcher 3 is a boring game with lovely combat mechanics

With the exception of metal dear solid 1, xenogears, and soul blade, the Sega Saturn had better games than the PSX

XCOM 2 is by far a worse game than XCOM enemy unknown and the enemy within expansion

The industry should have standardized 6 button layouts for controllers instead of four.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

G-III posted:

With the exception of metal dear solid 1, xenogears, and soul blade, the Sega Saturn had better games than the PSX

Reported for trolling.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

G-III posted:

The industry should have standardized 6 button layouts for controllers instead of four.
Agreed

Wanna live in either one of these timelines tbh

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Obsessing over the machine playing the games and not the actual games is terrible and pcmr nerds are the worst of all nerds.

:agreed: there's no need to obsess over the machine playing the games because they are all PCs anyway. it's the games that matter, which is why the console makers need to die so they stop loving with the market by making games unnecessarily exclusive.

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

I'd play more console games if they weren't poorly optimized trash now.

End boss Of SGaG*
Aug 9, 2000
I REPORT EVERY POST I READ!

Space Crabs posted:

What's pretty good about it? The ability to make a lumpy, weird creature that animates like crap and slides around, with stats that barely matter? Or clicking on animals in an empty mmo field to either bite them or dance in front of them?

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I used to be PC master race but after a bunch of companies started outsourcing their ports to people who don't give a gently caress the games are just poo poo now, recent games that were horrible ports were Just Cause 3, Mortal Kombat X, Batman: Arkham knight, Disgaea, and Tales of Symphonia.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Games were far more interesting and unique when developers couldn't fall back on consoles/PCs having more computing power than a goddamn space station and had to work within stricter limitations. I'm not saying they were necessarily better, but it sure seemed like there was a lot more variety and weird stuff getting churned out there.

e: this is obviously the niche that indie games often try to fill, but so many indie games are soooo poorly programmed because the devs have no idea what's actually happening in memory

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Anime games are an abomination which should be purged.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

End boss Of SGaG* posted:

What's pretty good about it? The ability to make a lumpy, weird creature that animates like crap and slides around, with stats that barely matter? Or clicking on animals in an empty mmo field to either bite them or dance in front of them?

Yes

Also Super Metroid is one of the best executions of the video game medium to have ever been done, and the Metroid Prime games are objectively worse and when someone talks about their attributes and quality it speaks more to the negative qualities of the person than the positive qualities of the game.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

From the instant it started by dumping you in a bland tunnel of boring combat with hostile rats I knew Fallout 1 would not be that good, and indeed it was not very good.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Games were far more interesting and unique when developers couldn't fall back on consoles/PCs having more computing power than a goddamn space station and had to work within stricter limitations. I'm not saying they were necessarily better, but it sure seemed like there was a lot more variety and weird stuff getting churned out there.

e: this is obviously the niche that indie games often try to fill, but so many indie games are soooo poorly programmed because the devs have no idea what's actually happening in memory

It's also a lot harder to justify taking risks when the budgets are in the 10s, sometimes 100s, of millions.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
I like FFXV's concepts of a boys' road trip combined with a sort of weird southwestern America aesthetic but I wish the combat was less hosed up, like seriously just copy Kingdom Hearts dudes

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah I'm a fan of the Witcher 3 but wow they cannot make the combat satisfying at all.

I find it fun on the hardest difficulty level. :shrug:

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound

Squashing Machine posted:

I like FFXV's concepts of a boys' road trip combined with a sort of weird southwestern America aesthetic but I wish the combat was less hosed up, like seriously just copy Kingdom Hearts dudes

The camera in this game is unbearably bad.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I was about halfway through Fire Emblem: Conquest when I realized that it is not fun in absolutely any way and I couldn't believe I got suckered into trying to play a game again. My 3DS is going to continue gathering dust until the next Phoenix Wright; that, as far as I'm concerned, it what it's for.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I have a 3ds but I have literally no games for it, not one game was released that I'm interested in, it's all loving anime. got it for $50 tho

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

lazorexplosion posted:

From the instant it started by dumping you in a bland tunnel of boring combat with hostile rats I knew Fallout 1 would not be that good, and indeed it was not very good.

yeah, Fallout 1 is indefensible.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

I don't think this is an issue of computing power so much as it is conscious, deliberate homogenization of game design plus -- weird as it sounds -- better quality control. So many of the great games of the 90s and early 2000s, especially PvP games, are carried in large part by mechanics that happened by accident.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Of course plenty of them were buggy piles of poo poo that either never got fixed or got fixed only via a mountain of patches that half the playerbase weren't aware of or didn't have access to, and similarly the non-standardization of control schemes and mechanics leads to all kinds of jank and needless confusion, but there's a certain trade-off there and I'm actually glad that indie gaming is sorta-kinda replicating those conditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Quote-Unquote posted:

did you never play the third Discworld game? It was really, really good.

Noir doesn't count.