Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Kibayasu posted:

A dialogue wheel counts as game play right?

Yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Drifter posted:

Doesn't matter, my hope is that everyone who preordered will share all of that with us once the game is released.

Also, it sounds like they're kicking into gear with the publicity train in a week or two.

says increasingly nervous ME fan for the seventh time this development cycle

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
The ME series' plot was always on the fluffier "space opera" side anyway, with a light side of hard-ish sci-fi where they tried to establish a few reasonably consistent and predictable-ish rules for the magical technology in the world.

ME3's endings were wank but the real reason why ME3 sucked in my mind was the fact that they swerved off into that call of duty grimdark death and sacrifice freedom ain't free bullcrap, and it just doesn't really gel with the whole blue skinned alien space babes universe that didn't take itself entirely seriously. And even then ME1 pulled off its serious moments far better, with the Sovereign reveal and the Citadel invasion. ME2 worked much better because it was much more character-centric, although Shepard dying and getting resurrected was some really heavy existentialist poo poo that just got completely sidestepped for some reason.

e: your mission is to go to some lovely rear end moon where space mans are shooting space monsters and you have to go running around between space mans to help them figure out who the new chief of the space mans is because war who loving cares. ME1 starts off throwing you right into a planet getting attacked by some enormous loving black hand crackling with red lightning that just appears out of nowhere and everybody's like "jesus christ what the gently caress is THAT thing", puts you through a quick combat tutorial and then builds the world by taking you to this bomb-rear end capital city space station where you're given a mission to figure out what is going on, now that's the way to start a story.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Feb 16, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Sapozhnik posted:

The ME series' plot was always on the fluffier "space opera" side anyway, with a light side of hard-ish sci-fi where they tried to establish a few reasonably consistent and predictable-ish rules for the magical technology in the world.

ME3's endings were wank but the real reason why ME3 sucked in my mind was the fact that they swerved off into that call of duty grimdark death and sacrifice freedom ain't free bullcrap, and it just doesn't really gel with the whole blue skinned alien space babes universe that didn't take itself entirely seriously. And even then ME1 pulled off its serious moments far better, with the Sovereign reveal and the Citadel invasion. ME2 worked much better because it was much more character-centric, although Shepard dying and getting resurrected was some really heavy existentialist poo poo that just got completely sidestepped for some reason.

e: your mission is to go to some lovely rear end moon where space mans are shooting space monsters and you have to go running around between space mans to help them figure out who the new chief of the space mans is because war who loving cares. ME1 starts off throwing you right into a planet getting attacked by some enormous loving black hand crackling with red lightning that just appears out of nowhere and everybody's like "jesus christ what the gently caress is THAT thing", puts you through a quick combat tutorial and then builds the world by taking you to this bomb-rear end capital city space station where you're given a mission to figure out what is going on, now that's the way to start a story.
:agreed:

While there are good story bits in ME3, like Rannoch, the storytelling of the game as a whole, not just the endings, really suffer from the writing veering off course, and becoming much more simplistic. The perfect example of which is EDI and the Geth who were both interesting in ME2 suddenly just becoming Pinocchio in space.

At least with Andromeda they don't have to account for having to keep tone with previous parts of the same story.

E: VVVV You do know that there is an ignore function, don't you?

Groetgaffel fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Feb 16, 2017

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

exquisite tea posted:

says increasingly nervous ME fan for the seventh time this development cycle

i wish joining origin access meant i never had to see your posts again. i'd pay $5 for that

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
where did the 'quarian sweat' thing come from anyway?

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
the bioware forums

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

MadBimber posted:

where did the 'quarian sweat' thing come from anyway?

they live their whole life in cleansuits so they wouldn't have any bacteria on their skin and skin bacteria is the main factor in what sweat smells like.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

they live their whole life in cleansuits so they wouldn't have any bacteria on their skin and skin bacteria is the main factor in what sweat smells like.
I believe taste was the subject of the post, not smell.

Isn't there anyone who have saved that terrible post?

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
huh.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

It just seems really bizzare that humanity has usurped so many other races for a shot at the council, specterhood, and mass colonazation of the stars in an astoundingly short time. Humanity's complete integration into society and technology is so, so fast, especially considering some of the aliens live for over a thousand years. It seems like humanity should still be on probationary access to the citadel, not vying for top dog in the known intergalactic community.

Edit: poo poo, the volus drat near control the intergalactic economy and humanity has rushed passed them.

Turians went from zero to hero in a real rush too. They go from discovering the Citadel to fighting the Krogan to a stalemate.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I can't imagine why Bioware would ever shot down their forums. Nope. Can't understand that decision at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

When I last read the forums, all I remember seeing were people either role playing loving, or writing (bad) erotica. Never went back after that.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zore posted:

Basically yeah. Krogan can give birth to 1000 infants a year, and the Genophage made it so only 1/1000 births were live which theoretically placed their survival rate at the pre-industrial Krogan survival rate.

The issue was the Krogan still kept killing each other because they're all afflicted with the blood rage and Krogan culture is all kinds of hosed up so without their insane birthrate and all the stillborns they shattered. Remember at one point they had a functioning society then nuked themselves to oblivion, all the Krogan who survived have a medical condition called the blood rage that would have had them locked in a mental institution during their peak and then the Salarians rolled in and uplifted them to space.

the genophage was good

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Sapozhnik posted:

Groetgaffel posted:

:agreed:

While there are good story bits in ME3, like Rannoch, the storytelling of the game as a whole, not just the endings, really suffer from the writing veering off course, and becoming much more simplistic. The perfect example of which is EDI and the Geth who were both interesting in ME2 suddenly just becoming Pinocchio in space.

At least with Andromeda they don't have to account for having to keep tone with previous parts of the same story.

E: VVVV You do know that there is an ignore function, don't you?

So Mass Effect 1 (and possibly 2) is a "blue skinned alien space babes universe that doesn't take itself too seriously" which nonetheless is actually relatively complex compared to the "simplistic" "call of duty grimdark death and sacrifice freedom ain't free bullcrap" Mass Effect 3, two examples of whose writing are the big-titted robot space babe that has a romantic relationship with the ship's pilot and the socially awkward flashlight-headed space robots who just want to be friends with everyone and can be reconciled with their creators if Shepard yells at Simon Templeman a bunch?

Have you guys tried playing the Mass Effect games? I hear they're quite good.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
my favorite part of the whole thing is how he, totally not for fetish reasons, decided Tali's sweat must smell good, be a drug, and be a performance enhancer

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ME is good

ME3 didn't really feel like a mass effect game to me, but it was set in the universe and I actually think its a pretty cool universe

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kurtofan posted:

why is liara hitting on the good doctor

is the new salarian a boy or a girl

boy unless they wanna turn salarian culture around and say "hey here's a rebellious lady frog!"

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule
https://twitter.com/masseffect/status/832273373547872257

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006

oh cool the avenger and carnifex are back plus a 'plasma gun'

thanks bioware for all the new stuff!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
and here's Drack

https://www.masseffect.com/news/nakmor-drack

Same clan as the female krogan who designed the Ark. Also here's his clan in ME2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVFXQLO4uo

Pattonesque fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Lt. Danger posted:

Mass Effect 3, two examples of whose writing are the big-titted robot space babe that has a romantic relationship with the ship's pilot and the socially awkward flashlight-headed space robots who just want to be friends with everyone and can be reconciled with their creators if Shepard yells at Simon Templeman a bunch?
Point being that these things clash horribly with how the respective characters were presented in ME2.

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)
With all of the series discussion it seems like a good time to recommend Shamus Young's Mass Effect Retrospective. It covers the whole trilogy, and it has a compelling thesis: Bioware as a studio changed significantly between 2007 (ME1) and 2012 (ME3), and the most significant change (and source of problems) was that the lead creative staff no longer cared about details.

This introduced problems from ME2 onwards. (Why is all of the first game's setup thrown out the window in the opening scene? Why is the council denying the Reapers exist when ME1 was spent proving their existence, and one crashed into the Citadel? Why is there a giant three-eyed Terminator boss fight?) Players ignored or dismissed those issues because the character work was so strong. But the ending of ME3 strips the character work away and you have no choice but to accept all of the nonsense that's been building up for two games.

This isn't a "scientific accuracy" thing: the Mass Effect universe lost all value once it stopped playing by its own rules, and that loss of value is why players felt robbed.

**Not that the characters weren't also inconsistent. Here's the Kai Leng chapter!

Cheston fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Feb 16, 2017

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Pattonesque posted:

and here's Drack

https://www.masseffect.com/news/nakmor-drack

Same clan as the female krogan who designed the Ark. Also here's his clan in ME2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRVFXQLO4uo

"Do you have any idea how many humans I've watched die? You're meat. You spoil."

This dude is 1,400 years old and still sounds like an edgelord teenager.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

MadBimber posted:

oh cool the avenger and carnifex are back plus a 'plasma gun'

thanks bioware for all the new stuff!

The avenger is iconic to the series and the carnifex owns bones. Besides they left with the same tech we had in ME2/3 so it's fine that those weapons are there.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

AngryBooch posted:

"Do you have any idea how many humans I've watched die? You're meat. You spoil."

:bioware:

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
A really old dude being made at younger people about things sounds natural to me.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

AngryBooch posted:

Nicknames:
Old Man, Drack the Nak

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Trast posted:

A really old dude being made at younger people about things sounds natural to me.

Guess it depend on much you trust Bioware to be able to write "I'm getting to old for this poo poo" without coming off repetitive.

Wrex was the old man of the group the first time around so hopefully it works out again.

Neurophage
Oct 11, 2012

Cheston posted:

With all of the series discussion it seems like a good time to recommend Shamus Young's Mass Effect Retrospective. It covers the whole trilogy, and it has a compelling thesis: Bioware as a studio changed significantly between 2007 (ME1) and 2012 (ME3), and the most significant change (and source of problems) was that the lead creative staff no longer cared about details.

This introduced problems from ME2 onwards. (Why is all of the first game's setup thrown out the window in the opening scene? Why is the council denying the Reapers exist when ME1 was spent proving their existence, and one crashed into the Citadel? Why is there a giant three-eyed Terminator boss fight?) Players ignored or dismissed those issues because the character work was so strong. But the ending of ME3 strips the character work away and you have no choice but to accept all of the nonsense that's been building up for two games.

This isn't a "scientific accuracy" thing: the Mass Effect universe lost all value once it stopped playing by its own rules, and that loss of value is why players felt robbed.

**Not that the characters weren't also inconsistent. Here's the Kai Leng chapter!

This retrospective is insanely shallow and way too long.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Trast posted:

The avenger is iconic to the series

And I hate it. Ugliest dang thing ever.

I was kind of hoping Drack would be a different take on the Krogan, but it seems he's basically the kind of guy that Wrex was reacting against; the kind of krogan Wrex's father might have been, who remembers the time before the genophage. The genophage was released in 710 CE, so he may be just old enough to remember what things were like back then, though it's more likely he's one of the earliest post-genophage generations.

I'm noticing a lot of our guys seem to be pretty...scrappy? Cora is explicitly a vanguard, focusing on a shotgun and charge. Drack is a berserker, focusing on shotgun and melee. Liam's primary tools are dual omniblades, so he's also going to be up front tanking and brawling. Vetra has an assault rifle for mid-range combat, but her special ability is also tank-focused. That's four companions with a front line emphasis. Peebee uses that pistol, so she's not a major gunfighter and probably meant for a "caster" role, and Jaal is the designated sniper, given what we've seen of him, so that's two. But it still seems like we're pretty front-line heavy in terms of companion combat composition.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

marshmallow creep posted:

I'm noticing a lot of our guys seem to be pretty...scrappy? Cora is explicitly a vanguard, focusing on a shotgun and charge. Drack is a berserker, focusing on shotgun and melee. Liam's primary tools are dual omniblades, so he's also going to be up front tanking and brawling. Vetra has an assault rifle for mid-range combat, but her special ability is also tank-focused. That's four companions with a front line emphasis. Peebee uses that pistol, so she's not a major gunfighter and probably meant for a "caster" role, and Jaal is the designated sniper, given what we've seen of him, so that's two. But it still seems like we're pretty front-line heavy in terms of companion combat composition.

It does make me wonder who the adept is

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Pattonesque posted:

It does make me wonder who the adept is

It's us. It was us all along.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Drifter posted:

It's us. It was us all along.

It does seem like the "canonical" Ryder is probably a biotic, much like the "canonical" Inquisitor is probably an elf mage. They've said they've added new physic abilities so you can hit dudes with other dudes. How can you ignore that?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I enjoy Mass Effect 3 but overall less so than the other entries in the series. When the others were released, I would consider them both 10s, 3 I would consider a 7. Mass Effect 3 had more problems than the ending. The overall story was the worst of the series. Some missions were good, other parts of it felt rushed to get the game out the door. Those Shep dream sequences were all terrible. They dumbed down the dialogue wheel. Like having multiple options on what to say? Now you get half as many. The art direction was worse, the available party members were worse. The quest log system wasn't as good as 2, certain quests could get bugged as unfinished.

The gameplay and addition of multiplayer were about the only things better in 3 than 2. Normally gameplay being better in a sequel leads to an overall better game but in one where the story is a major factor, it didn't. A lot of the problems from 3 look like they might have been fixed in Andromeda, I hope so. At the very least this one wasn't rushed. That alone is a good sign.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Cheston posted:

Here's a list of all the people in the Milky Way Galaxy who need a 4,000 word essay to explain to them why Kai Leng sucks:

:butt:

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Groetgaffel posted:

Point being that these things clash horribly with how the respective characters were presented in ME2.

And my point is that you don't actually agree with Sapozhnik. I'd also be wary of writing off ME3 so cavalierly - EDI doesn't actually have much depth in ME2, but has several philosophical conversations with Shepard when trying to figure out her new unshackled existence in ME3. L'Etoile's work on Legion in ME2 is lovely, but it's also all surface fluff.

Cheston posted:

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I enjoy Mass Effect 3 but overall less so than the other entries in the series. When the others were released, I would consider them both 10s, 3 I would consider a 7. Mass Effect 3 had more problems than the ending. The overall story was the worst of the series. Some missions were good, other parts of it felt rushed to get the game out the door. Those Shep dream sequences were all terrible. They dumbed down the dialogue wheel. Like having multiple options on what to say? Now you get half as many. The art direction was worse, the available party members were worse. The quest log system wasn't as good as 2, certain quests could get bugged as unfinished.

The gameplay and addition of multiplayer were about the only things better in 3 than 2. Normally gameplay being better in a sequel leads to an overall better game but in one where the story is a major factor, it didn't. A lot of the problems from 3 look like they might have been fixed in Andromeda, I hope so. At the very least this one wasn't rushed. That alone is a good sign.

The thing about ME3 is I think the story is fine conceptually but bioware really failed to tell it effectively. I'm playing through it again right now and its interesting how disconnected the dialogue feels. Everyone is constantly telling you about how the war is inflicting massive suffering on the galaxy but it only occasionally shows that stuff off, and when it does it feels clumsy and manipulative. I feel like the structure of the game isolating you from the worst of the conflict does the game a significant disservice. Compare it to Velen in the Witcher 3, its so much more effective at conveying just how hosed everything is because it makes it pervasive. Everything you look at is touched by the ongoing conflict in some way.

After writing this I'm now thinking that one of the biggest problems of ME3 is that it is really hard to tell a story where the main thing the characters are reacting to is happening outside of the player's perspective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
mass effect 1 is still the best of the three

storywise obviously

the gameplay is dogshit