Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Dr. Stab posted:

That's not quite how it works. March of the Machines doesn't create a paradox. You just apply the effect once, in the appropriate layer, and that's it.

When The Dark was printed, words such as "apply", "layer", "effect", and "appropriate" weren't a thing in Magic :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
Vintage Rotisserie Draft should be a pro-tour format.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Serperoth posted:

When The Dark was printed, words such as "apply", "layer", "effect", and "appropriate" weren't a thing in Magic :v:

Who cares? I'm cracking packs for motherfucking Uncle Istvan

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

suicidesteve posted:

Has anyone bought one of those cub3 box things? Are they any good? The holiday boxes kinda suck and I'm not super in love with the idea of having my $14k cube sitting in a cheap piece of cardboard.

For a $14k cube I would go right for a pelican case with the removable / customizable foam. I think the 1500 would probably work but it depends on the card count for the cube.

This option from the broken token looks promising for a less expensive cube - http://www.thebrokentoken.com/standard-sized-card-organizer-for-wooden-artist-case/

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Bring Pack Wars to the PT

Procrastinator
Aug 16, 2009

what?

Since I'm not playing the main event this weekend I'm soliciting opinions for what I should do on Sunday:

https://www.strawpoll.me/12350734

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Soul Glo posted:

Bring Pack Wars to the PT

Encourages people to buy packs AND play with the contents? This can only be a good thing.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

En Fuego posted:

Vintage Rotisserie Draft should be a pro-tour format.

Vintage Rotisserie Draft should be the top 8 of the world championship. Done live, with real power, etc. I think it could be really cool.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Eela6 posted:

Vintage Rotisserie Draft should be the top 8 of the world championship. Done live, with real power, etc. I think it could be really cool.

Unfortunately it takes forever, but it's one of my favorite things to play.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

I don't know about any errata Blood Moon may or may not have gotten, but the original The Dark printing says:

Which creates a paradox as the nonbasic lands become basic, and thus no longer affected by Blood Moon, which returns them to being nonbasic, which makes Blood Moon work again, which makes them basic, so on and so forth.

That sort of paradox still exists in the game today:

Layers take care of it so that it works the way it's clearly meant to.

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

Someone reckons that format diversity is bad, but doesn't have a comments section for me to explain why i think he's wrong.

http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/02/diverse-formats-suck/

My main point would be that if individual card choices matter less, and one deck doesn't have an advantage over another that being a better player rather than just a better builder matters more, and in terms of fun games and good matches to watch, better players is better to watch than a better matchup.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

He seems to think that for every matchup to be even, decks would have to play the same, which is terrible lazy thinking and also the opposite of diversity.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Dr. Stab posted:

That's not quite how it works. March of the Machines doesn't create a paradox. You just apply the effect once, in the appropriate layer, and that's it.

The word "basic" in the Dark printing had no actual meaning (its word surplusage) and isn't in the Oracle text. It's a nonbasic land which is a mountain.

Turning Tolarian Academy into a mountain with Blood Moon results in a land named Tolarian Academy which is a Legendary Land - Mountain.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Feb 16, 2017

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I have been dabbling the new cheeri0s build in modern leagues.

It's pretty freaking fun

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

mehall posted:

Someone reckons that format diversity is bad, but doesn't have a comments section for me to explain why i think he's wrong.

http://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2017/02/diverse-formats-suck/

My main point would be that if individual card choices matter less, and one deck doesn't have an advantage over another that being a better player rather than just a better builder matters more, and in terms of fun games and good matches to watch, better players is better to watch than a better matchup.

quote:

In a format where everything is good, nothing is good. Let’s say you have a Hearthstone format where there are 6 good decks, but none of them actually have an edge over another. This means that most meaningful card choices, tech choices, or in extreme cases, gameplay choices, don’t actually wind up mattering. No edge is easily obtained over anything. A diverse format does not mean anything could happen. It just means the same things will happen.

A dumb assertion that isn't even true. There's a variety of tier 1 decks, but some things are better in certain metas or at one tournament. lol @ the idea that somehow Jund, Affinity, Ad Nauseum, Goryo's Vengeance, Toolbox, or URx Snapcaster decks are doing the same thing or match up 50/50. They all attack the game at different angles and if one becomes too prominent you get tier 2 brews like Spirits that eats fair decks like Jund alive or WR Prison that owns unfair decks.

quote:

Another oft forgotten about flaw to this type of format is the fact that there isn’t anything to try and beat.

The existence of tier 2 brews and the fact that they top 8 and win GPs disproves this. You can easily play a deck that targets the more popular decks you're likely to see.

quote:

Coming off of the last point; these kinds of diverse formats result in a major lack of evolution.

Each set over the last 2 years has impacted modern in some capacity and probably before that too (I just wasn't around then). Rhino was the last straw that got Pod banned, Collected Company created entirely new decks (that to be fair were based on Pod), Eldrazi completely ruined the format and even made Legacy/Vintage decks, Grim Flayer and Fatal Push have both changed up BGx and Grixis builds, and Cheerios might be a real thing now with Sram.

He gives one example of a past standard format being bad, the rest of the examples are from Hearthstone, and none from modern. Sounds like he doesn't even play modern or at the very least doesn't understand it and hasn't realized that the bad game is actually Hearthstone.

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Feb 16, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

If you read his past articles you'll find that he quit Magic for HS. :v:

Siivola fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Feb 16, 2017

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Hearthstone is the worse game but it's also so much cheaper than Magic and that can be all that matters.

uninverted
Nov 10, 2011

Siivola posted:

Good choice, they're both terribly designed but the monsters in hearthstone say puns when you smash them into each other.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

TheKingofSprings posted:

Hearthstone is the worse game but it's also so much cheaper than Magic and that can be all that matters.

Yeah that was really just meant as a joke. The only reason I brought Hearthstone up was because that article didn't sound like any complaints people actually have about modern diversity. I get that some people really dislike how certain matchups can be unwinnable in modern if you match up poorly against a deck and didn't bring a sideboard that can deal with it.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
why would anyone read an article from a website called 'hipstersofthecoast'

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ThePeavstenator posted:

The existence of tier 2 brews and the fact that they top 8 and win GPs disproves this. You can easily play a deck that targets the more popular decks you're likely to see.

....and then play them zero times in the entire tournament.

Which is kinda his point.

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
Diverse formats aren't guaranteed bad but boy howdy they sure aren't guaranteed good.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

Establish the Buns

suicidesteve posted:

....and then play them zero times in the entire tournament.

Which is kinda his point.

His point was that everything in modern is equally good and doing the same thing and that's really boring. In that paragraph he argues that having the best decks, decks that beat the best decks, and lesser-played decks that beat both of those decks is a good rock/paper/scissors paradigm to have. Modern has the rock/paper/scissors thing going on.

I'll concede that it's fair to dislike the matchup roulette in modern but his argument wasn't about that, it was that diversity at the top actually leads to homogenization. His example was Thragtusk and Thundermaw Hellkite being a card every deck had to play, except that's a lot more like last standard was with Emrakul. Modern isn't perfect but its problem isn't that all the best decks are doing the same thing and the only way to beat them is to do that same thing.

e:

Also I wasn't playing when Dark Ascension came out, but isn't Innistrad considered one of the better standards?

ThePeavstenator fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Feb 16, 2017

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Siivola posted:

If it is the same Anthony Lowry that wrote for SCG, it doesn't surprise me he's writing content with a negative view of the game. The guy was getting a lot of poo poo from folks in the MTG community about how he wrote big ("I will win event _____") and then never really put up any results. At one point people were just trolling the comments of his articles just saying "Why are you writing for SCG? Where are your results?"

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ThePeavstenator posted:

Also I wasn't playing when Dark Ascension came out, but isn't Innistrad considered one of the better standards?

All Standards with Heartless Summoning were by default the best ones, as no other standards come close to Heartless Summoning.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

All Standards with Heartless Summoning were by default the best ones, as no other standards come close to Heartless Summoning.

Got an example list? Was it a good deck(s)?

black potus
Jul 13, 2006
It was not but it was neat. That standard also had delver, WRR, pod, and zombies all of which were super cool imo.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

black potus posted:

Diverse formats aren't guaranteed bad but boy howdy they sure aren't guaranteed good.

the only perfect format is an empty format, with no one to sin or play magic

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

It was not but it was neat. That standard also had delver, WRR, pod, and zombies all of which were super cool imo.

I wasn't able to really test it but I honestly think Heartless Summoning would've had a good matchup against Delver.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

black potus posted:

Wolf Run Ramp is still my beautiful baby and it's the only time I've done well in a competitive Magic Tournament

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

TheKingofSprings posted:

Wolf Run Ramp is still my beautiful baby and it's the only time I've done well in a competitive Magic Tournament

SOI's lands were perhaps the most disappointing thing about the return to Innistrad.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Rinkles posted:

Got an example list? Was it a good deck(s)?

It was something like this. Tier 1 or 1.5, definitely a top contender because Massacre Wurm as a 4-mana 5/4 is still, somehow, really good, and black's removal was rugged then. There were also [url=http://www.mtgtop8.com/event?e=2556&d=216609&f=ST]Perilous Myr/Havengul Lich[url] lists that besides dropping U/B game-enders as midrange cards, paying 1 mana per shock repeatedly is also good generally.

Other things it did were Rune-Scarred Demon searches for Phyrexian Metamorph and Phantasmal Image, so it'd loop 5/5 fliers for cheap. And just dropping Frost Titan and Sphinx of Uthuun and Solemn Simulacrum for cheap piles up.

It didn't survive into INN/RTR that well, part because it lost so many of its value guys with M12 and Scars block, part was losing Ponder, and mostly because the format was slow enough that getting the discount didn't help in the long run.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

TheKingofSprings posted:

For all the complaints about the health of high level Magic, the level of complaints about Hearthstone right now are even louder because its even more absurdly imbalanced than MTG is right now.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Angry Grimace posted:

For all the complaints about the health of high level Magic, the level of complaints about Hearthstone right now are even louder because its even more absurdly imbalanced than MTG is right now.

Literally every control deck is running Reno Jackson. For the record, that's a 6 mana 4/6 with "if your deck has no duplicates, restore your health to full." Literally every control deck, spread through about 4-5 classes, is a Reno deck.

It's not fun, it's also nearly impossible to prevent happening.
Unless you run Dirty Rat, and even then that's not a guarantee.

Every Midrange deck is a Jade Golem deck, which is a collection of Rogue/Druid/Shaman decks that make Jade Golems. These are 1/1s that get +X/+X, where X is the total number of Jade Golems you've summoned before this one.

You eventually just get ground to a pulp by them.

Every aggro deck is Pirates. Or rather, every aggro deck is running 2 Southsea Deckhand, 2 Small-Time Buccaneer, and Patches the Pirate.

Patches is a legendary 1/1 with charge (haste) that is summoned from your deck if you play a pirate.

Every non-hunter aggro deck runs those 5 cards because they're strong 1 drops.

Edit: Game's still fun though, and I hope the removal of Reno Jackson from the Standard format really livens up the game come whenever they add the newest expansion.

They're also removing a bunch of classic neutral cards that get played in every midrange/control deck because of how strong they are in comparison for similarly costed cards.

Would you rather run a 6 mana 7/5 that makes 2/1s everytime you play a card, or a 6 mana 5/5 with "when this dies, take control of a random minion on your opponent's side"

The 5 Mana slot is also so starved for good quality cards that Azure Drake (4/4 for 5, has spell power +1, is a dragon) is the literal only card worth playing.

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 17, 2017

clamiam45
Sep 10, 2005

HIGH FIVE! I'M GAY TOO!!!!!!

Count Bleck posted:

Literally every control deck is running Reno Jackson. For the record, that's a 6 mana 4/6 with "if your deck has no duplicates, restore your health to full." Literally every control deck, spread through about 4-5 classes, is a Reno deck.

It's not fun, it's also nearly impossible to prevent happening.
Unless you run Dirty Rat, and even then that's not a guarantee.

Every Midrange deck is a Jade Golem deck, which is a collection of Rogue/Druid/Shaman decks that make Jade Golems. These are 1/1s that get +X/+X, where X is the total number of Jade Golems you've summoned before this one.

You eventually just get ground to a pulp by them.

Every aggro deck is Pirates. Or rather, every aggro deck is running 2 Southsea Deckhand, 2 Small-Time Buccaneer, and Patches the Pirate.

Patches is a legendary 1/1 with charge (haste) that is summoned from your deck if you play a pirate.

Every non-hunter aggro deck runs those 5 cards because they're strong 1 drops.

Edit: Game's still fun though, and I hope the removal of Reno Jackson from the Standard format really livens up the game come whenever they add the newest expansion.

They're also removing a bunch of classic neutral cards that get played in every midrange/control deck because of how strong they are in comparison for similarly costed cards.

Would you rather run a 6 mana 7/5 that makes 2/1s everytime you play a card, or a 6 mana 5/5 with "when this dies, take control of a random minion on your opponent's side"

The 5 Mana slot is also so starved for good quality cards that Azure Drake (4/4 for 5, has spell power +1, is a dragon) is the literal only card worth playing.

Is that in the Standard format? If what you're saying is that aggro, control, and midrange are all viable then that sounds awesome really. One of the reasons I'm not digging Standard right now is that I can't play a control deck with inevitability (e.g. Elixir control).

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

clamiam45 posted:

Is that in the Standard format? If what you're saying is that aggro, control, and midrange are all viable then that sounds awesome really. One of the reasons I'm not digging Standard right now is that I can't play a control deck with inevitability (e.g. Elixir control).

I really like playing Jeskai Control with Nahriri and Chandra, Flamecaller as a finisher. Has alot of inevitability. It was better last season being able to find an Emmy yourself (the Jeskai decks were pretty good at getting 5-6 types in the GY anyway,) but running four gearhulks is great too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Btw scg balt is sold out already today and it's also modern. Shocking.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Sickening posted:

Seriously? gently caress I wanted to go to that

Major Operation
Jan 1, 2006

Sickening posted:

Where did you see that? Everything I see is saying this weekend in Baltimore is sold out, which is Team Constructed. Granted that has modern in it, but also standard and legacy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

It's not just modern. It's team split format and it's gonna be awesome.

• Locked thread