Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Hedrigall posted:

Now I want to see Barry as Scar/Ursula/Gaston/Cruella De Vil/Yzma/Jafar/Frollo/Hades/Dr Facilier

and by want to see I mean claw my eyes out

I don't know if I have the stomach to do more

edit: gently caress on the other hand, this is incredible:

Hedrigall posted:

I've Got Friends In The Other Hive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Hedrigall posted:

Btw, live action Mulan is getting a female director:

http://www.slashfilm.com/mulan-director-niki-caro/

I'm really excited for this movie, I haven't enjoyed most of the Disney live action movies but I'm really looking forward to this one.

Also: No one stings like Gasthoney

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Haledjian posted:

I don't think it's an unfounded criticism, but it's a little overstated--Pixar has 13 feature films, not counting sequels. Disney has well over 30 2D-animated movies (many of which look super similar to each other) so it's easy to pick out the outliers. The "samey" 3D Disney movies number maybe 6 or 7. So there's going to be plenty of time and opportunity for them to diversify their art direction.

Also the issue of samey "appealing" female leads is somewhat distinct from the house style issue, I would say. Frozen is pretty egregious on that point, haha.

The other factor is that Disney is pushing the Disney Princess brand pretty hard so all their new princesses are going to get crammed together with their older characters on merchandise forever and ever so they need to be stylistically compatible with Sleeping Beauty and Snow White and all the rest.

Of course the non-Princess movies don't have that excuse ...

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Pixar's adherence to screensaver-esque visual realism gets in the way of overt whimsy.

Good point keep talkin
Sep 14, 2011

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pixar's adherence to screensaver-esque visual realism gets in the way of overt whimsy.

Yeah you get a knobby looking dorkosaur looking like Roger Rabbit next to some beautiful waterfall. Looks weird.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Pixar's All of the bigger animation studio's adherence to screensaver-esque visual realism gets in the way of overt whimsy.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Less whimsy more quinsy

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Well, yes. Though I was really impressed by Trolls's overall aesthetic. They were basically cribbing from Little Big Planet and Aardman but it was refreshingly idiosyncratic.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, yes. Though I was really impressed by Trolls's overall aesthetic. They were basically cribbing from Little Big Planet and Aardman but it was refreshingly idiosyncratic.

I think it helped that they stuck to that aesthetic for drat near everything. The only things I can think of that didn't have some kind of fabric/scrapbook look to them were a few liquids you see in the movie (the green belly acid, the garbage one Bergen pours out a window) and some of the Bergen environments, especially the castle and the big Troll pot. Which I'm pretty sure is intentional, because every single bit of the forest has the fabric look. They really committed to the LOOK of the movie, and it super pays off. Like even the trolls that are made of glitter end up not looking out of place at all because the whole movie is designed around that style. Even when there's fire it's stylized to look very scrapbooky

Oh and the teeth. The teeth weren't fabric, I guess that would've been a little weird.

edit: oh and the eyeballs I guess

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 16, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Googly eyes aren't felt so it's ok.

Even the Bergen goo that went out the window looked like some sort of scrabbooky kind of thing, like a trick moms trade on Pinterest for the Halloween pages.

The pizza did look real though.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Ccs posted:

This is again because Pixar usually picks a different designer for each movie. Whereas Disney has the much of the same people (Jin Kim, and before him Glenn Keane) doing the final animation-ready designs. So their drawings get translated to 3d and the movies look very similar to each other.

If you were a designer with years of feature experience you could probably pick out a ton of differences between each movie based on what the main artist decided to change about their style to fit the movie, but for those of us without that developed an eye, they look the same.

Eh, I'm not exactly a layperson but you're right that I don't have years of feature experience. Any designer will be able to discern the the unique qualities and flaws and magnify them tenfold, but at the end of the day you're dealing with a near boundless medium and there's no real reason it should take a professional to tell the difference between your projects when you have that kind of breadth. But as for designers being translated, Nico Marlet's designs communicate with their sources and surroundings very nicely and while not an entirely different ballpark, they wouldn't jive in each other's worlds. (BEES IN KUNG FU PANDA THEY ARE ALL BEES.)

My criticism of the Disney catalogue is that the characters themselves are often cohesive enough to drop the model in a different movie. I mean hell, Rapunzel and Flynn walked into Frozen, no prob. It's just cool when someone pushes the boundaries on the medium least restricted by them.

Golly, I hate phone typing.

Nerdietalk
Dec 23, 2014

Finally watched Kubo and The Last Unicorn, on frequent recommendation.

Everyone's talked about Kubo to death and my thoughts come down to this: Visually stunning, overall plot is good with some pacing and fine line issues. Not sure if I'd call the ending good or bad, but its certainly weird.

The Last Unicorn, shocker, is really loving good. Everyone's got pretty clear character motivations that helps keep things consistent. Last Unicorn wants to find more unicorns, Molly wants to hang with unicorns, Schmendrick wants to look cool, and Haggard just wants a happy life. I hate that Butterfly and some songs are dumb, but all in all its good.

30 year old spoilers That "into a human" transformation" is a much rougher deal than I expected. "Almathea" is constantly forgetting poo poo, from what she's doing in the castle to Lir's existence entirely, a weird back and forth between unicorn and human. Her romance with Lir even seems more like a need for something to keep her stable.

I knew about the ending and wondered "why not just stay human if you're gonna be a miserable unicorn" but by the time the need to become a unicorn comes back, Almathea has basically completely forgotten everything about herself. She begs to stay human! It kind of leaves me wondering what's the worse fate: being a little different from your species for eternity or losing your entire identity and memories, living as an amnesiac woman with no past? There's no good option there.

All in all, its obviously a classic for a reason and I enjoyed it.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
I've now seen LEGO Batman twice (always good to see the background gags and etc). Both times there were some uncomfortable-looking older guys who were there alone, but they seemed to all have a really good time. :buddy:

I do think they were a little over-worried that people wouldn't be able to follow the plot, though admittedly there is a lot of plot.

Also, it is super, super gay. I'm not a "shipper" but I thought that was enjoyable and really funny and an amusing way to go.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

LEGO Batman was really really good, I especially liked how the plot basically slapped the dark and brooding Batman persona over the face and screams HAVE FUN for once, especially after the edgy batman vs superman movie and gritty nolan trilogy.

And yea the plot was also super gay.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Batman learns the importance of his relationship to his foster dad, his foster son, his best friend, and his boyfriend

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

Had some time to burn in between renders and put this together real quick because I loving love that tagline. Re-worked it slightly though, and made a change to the title as per Waffleman's suggestion. I laughed.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Amazing.

Now do the knock-off animal version sold at shady stalls in Zootopia back alleys: Haunched

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

teagone posted:

Had some time to burn in between renders and put this together real quick because I loving love that tagline. Re-worked it slightly though, and made a change to the title as per Waffleman's suggestion. I laughed.

Now I'm even more sad that this isn't real.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Please put that out into the real world.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Drifter posted:

"Most Disney princesses wear a ring. This Princess dominates one."

- Punch -
coming 2019

I posted my poster comp in the r/movies subreddit, and now the concept you came up with is blowing up. :golfclap:

[edit] As of this edit, it's the #1 post on the front page of reddit. We did it goons! Maybe some eyes at Pixar or Disney will see it now and be inspired, haha. How awesome would that be.

teagone fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Feb 16, 2017

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Haha, holy poo poo! That's cool as hell.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I started typing about how unlikely I think it would be that they would make a show about teenagers beating each other up, but I guess Karate Kid is a thing, huh. How come that gets away with it?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

teagone posted:

:eyepop: :perfect:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Here's the post on reddit featuring the poster that has currently notched roughly 17k upvotes. So cool! Everyone seems to be really keen on the concept. Although, I think the mods there might have been removed my post from public view or maybe marked it as spam because I can't actually see the post when browsing the r/movies subreddit anymore :(

[edit] Lmao, the imgur stats show the poster has been viewed almost 400,000 times.

teagone fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Feb 16, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

teagone posted:

I can't press 5 any harder.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Good to see a good idea is resonating outside of our little bubble.

Oh, and since nobody followed through on the "every page" threat from a page ago, I'll take one for the team this time:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

is he wearing a sweater?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Aces High posted:

is he wearing a sweater?

yes. the detail is supreme.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Oh, that looks fantastic. :allears:
Even the tagline text looks great.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
*watches LEGO Batman*

Merry Christmas, tumblr :shobon:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

quote:

Earlier today, a group of actors playing various villains in The LEGO Batman Movie were announced, as were the characters they voice in the film. But a few of the bad guys were already known. Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover) as The Joker and Jenny Slate (Obvious Child) as Harley Quinn have been seen in the trailers. Another villain has not been talked about as much, even though the casting allowed for the actor to play a role they were supposed to play decades ago: Billy Dee Williams (Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back) as Two-Face.

Williams played Two-Face’s alter-ego, Harvey Dent, in Batman back in 1989. The original plan was for Dent to become Two-Face and be a villain in the sequel, Batman Returns. However, the character was written out of the film. When Dent/Two-Face was written into the next film, Batman Forever, the role was recast with Tommy Lee Jones. Williams – who voiced his famous Star Wars character Lando Calrissian in The LEGO Movie – was finally given the chance to play Two-Face by voicing the character in the spinoff, The LEGO Batman Movie.

This was a really neat thing to do for Billy Dee Williams. Also, as a complete aside, I love Jenny Slate and am glad she's getting work.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

"Fear always works, mistah J!"

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Shadow Hog posted:

"Fear always works, mistah J!"

I liked Joker's more respectful tone to her in this film. "Girl buddy!" :3:

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015

A sad Professor Plum
sitting on a toilet.

teagone posted:

Okay but what natural element does she control?

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Does Disney already have any mixed race princesses? If not, I think Punched should feature the first!

Unmature
May 9, 2008
Goddammit that poster is amazing.

I can't decide if I'd want her to be a kick-rear end tomboy who loves to rumble, or a straight up stereotypical "girly" princess who also kick tons of rear end to have the message that you can in fact like "girly" girl things and still be rad as gently caress and kick rear end. Most media tends to go one way or the other, they're either all tomboy or all girly. And there's so much stuff that has a girl liking pink things and the message is "DON'T LIKE PINK THINGS."

Unmature fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Feb 16, 2017

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Phylodox posted:

Does Disney already have any mixed race princesses? If not, I think Punched should feature the first!

Cuban/Ethiopian

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Moana blu-ray features!

quote:

Theatrical Short Film: "Inner Workings" – With introduction by the filmmakers, is the story of the internal struggle between a man's pragmatic, logical side and his free-spirited, adventurous half. Created by a small team at Walt Disney Animation Studios in a unique, fast-paced style that blends CG and traditional hand-drawn animation, the short explores the importance of finding balance in daily life.
Maui Mini-Movie: "Gone Fishing" – When Maui decides it's time to take charge of the ocean and catch his next meal, Moana must show him the error of his ways … with a little help from her friends!
Voice of the Islands – An in-depth look at how Pacific Island people and cultures inspired the filmmakers to create the story of "Moana."
Things You Didn't Know About …
• Meet the stars of "Moana" in this dynamic Q&A featuring Dwayne Johnson, newcomer Auli'i Cravalho, and famed animation directors Ron and John.
• Meet the musical team behind "Moana" in this fascinating Q&A featuring Opetaia Foa'i, Mark Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Island Fashion – Find out how costume designer Neysa Bové took on the unique challenge of creating costumes using materials and techniques native to the islands of Oceania.
They Know the Way: Making the Music of "Moana" – Musicians Opetaia Foa'I, Marc Mancina and Lin-Manuel Miranda take us on a personal journey through their involvement in the movie and how it changed their lives.
Fishing for Easter Eggs – Dive deep into the ocean and fish for the Easter Eggs hidden by the animators at Walt Disney Animation Studios.
The Elements of … – This series of four mini-docs explores the technical achievements behind some of the ground-breaking effects used in the film.
Mini Maui – Meet "Mini Maui," Maui's tattoo sidekick. Animated by legendary hand-drawn animator Eric Goldberg, we explore how the 2D world collides with CG animation to bring the demigod's tattoos to life.
Water – In the movie, the ocean is a character. This piece explores how the water is given a personality, along with the technical feats of creating a believable ocean landscape farther than the eye can see.
Lava – Te Kā is a creature made of lava, smoke and fire. This piece dives into the challenges of making an animated creature of massive scale brought to fiery life by character, technical and effects animators.
Hair – One of the greatest technical achievements of the film was the animation of the beautiful, curly hair on Moana and Maui. Take a look at the hair-raising detail that goes into animating each strand, adding performance to the movie that has never been seen before.
Deleted Song: "Warrior Face" – With introduction by songwriter Lin-Manuel Miranda.
Deleted Scenes – Ron and John introduce the following deleted scenes: Race the Wind/Ties that Bind; Discussing Moana's Future; Under the Sea; Grandmother's Warning/Legend of Maui; Education of Moana; Father, Daughter, Boat; and Canoe Race.
Music Video: "How Far I'll Go" – Performed by Alessia Cara.
"How Far I'll Go Around the World" – Multi-language reel of the song "How Far I'll Go."
Audio Commentary – With directors Ron and John.

Holy crap they went all out! Including an audio commentary!!! :swoon:

But now I'm wondering why Zootopia didn't have a documentary on the source culture for that film :raise:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Hedrigall posted:

But now I'm wondering why Zootopia didn't have a documentary on the source culture for that film :raise:

:allbuttons: