Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

ImpAtom posted:

Blue Magic, I assume, would have something context-sensitive to different enemy types rather than having permanent access to all monster spells or whatever.

No, just this:

Fister Roboto posted:

All the job quests are "go out and fight this enemy that uses this skill" and then you're awarded the ability for completing the quest.
With some filler baseline spells (or weaponskills) you learn just by leveling up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Renegret posted:

I want the moogle dance, but I don't want to touch crafting.

What's the best way of getting a crafter to 50 so I can do the moogle quests? Just unlock one and buy leve turn ins off the AH?

I know the "proper" way of doing it is to level all the crafters simultaneously for the cross class skills, but I don't give a poo poo about actually crafting stuff so I'm not sure if it matters.

edit:

and yes I already have the moogle best tribe quests unlocked, I just happened to do the quest chain while leveling an alt.

If you don't care about money, buying turn-ins off vendors or AH is the quickest way to do it without ever opening the crafting menu or looking at a recipe

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mymla posted:

No, just this:

With some filler baseline spells (or weaponskills) you learn just by leveling up.

Yeah I imagine the class would be a mix of sword skills you learn from leveling and Blue Magic you get from quests.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zweihander01 posted:

My insane predictions:

Samurai will be a STR based melee DD. It'll share gear with DRG.

This part isn't insane at all and at about 99% likelihood.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Thundarr posted:

The only real way to do BLU would be with class quests to learn your monster skills, which would still feel unsatisfying because what you learn is just as static as with every class. And even if they did it that way you'd either need to start from level 1 so you can learn them all from quests (never going to happen) or start at a later level with most of the monster skills already known (boring).

Blue Mage is never going to happen guys. Unless they do something really wacky like add in skill trees.

Give me SAMba Dancer though. Right now. :(

I mean, considering the way they were willing to make Summoner a class that doesn't summon big splashy explosion monsters, I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to make a Blue Mage class that fits the theme of "monster spells" without actually making you do the "go get punched in the face until you learn how to do X" mechanic.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Glagha posted:

I mean, considering the way they were willing to make Summoner a class that doesn't summon big splashy explosion monsters, I don't see why they wouldn't be willing to make a Blue Mage class that fits the theme of "monster spells" without actually making you do the "go get punched in the face until you learn how to do X" mechanic.

At least they finally put in dreadwyrm trance and the LB3 for some flavor.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

I'm hoping to get my wife interested in MMOs. Is Final Fantasy the best one for a new player to learn the ropes in?

How fiddly is inventory management? I've been trying out ESO the last few days and my inventory being constantly full is driving me nuts.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There's a button you press to equip the best gear you have, and unless you get super into it and running multiple crafters/gatherers/combat jobs, you can just sell everything in your inventory when it gets near full.

It's super easy to learn as well. It assumes it's your first MMO.

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Glagha posted:

Couldn't they just modify the "quest every 5 levels" system they use for all the classes and maybe tie your skill set to a hunting log variant? Something like killing a certain number of X monster gets you Y ability. Go collect them all!

It would probably be boring, but I think there's ways to make the class work

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Flash was a Blue Mage skill in 5, so it makes sense.

Thundarr posted:

The only real way to do BLU would be with class quests to learn your monster skills, which would still feel unsatisfying because what you learn is just as static as with every class. And even if they did it that way you'd either need to start from level 1 so you can learn them all from quests (never going to happen) or start at a later level with most of the monster skills already known (boring).

They'd probably have the key skills behind the quests and put bonus ones on world and dungeon mobs. Run Keeper to get Gunship's Flamethrower, fight Greg to get Frog Song and Tiny Song, and so on for iconic gimmick and support skills.

Phayray
Feb 16, 2004
Been considering picking this up, having played the original beta and not since, and discovered a sale on Steam - FFXIV with A Realm Reborn and Heavensward for just under $20, so if you were on the fence like I was, the deal ends February 20.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

LLSix posted:

I'm hoping to get my wife interested in MMOs. Is Final Fantasy the best one for a new player to learn the ropes in?

How fiddly is inventory management? I've been trying out ESO the last few days and my inventory being constantly full is driving me nuts.

I literally didn't open my inventory until it was nearly full when I started this game. Incidentally, just as your inventory is about to be full, you unlock the bank and selling things on the market, around the time you hit level 20 or so.

e: And I dunno about the best, but ffxiv is basically a tutorial for the first 30-40 levels.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Assuming they didn't want to do some sort of Blue Magic hunt log for finding and checking off abilities to go and learn, I'm pretty confident that the lore team could come up with reasons why random morbols breathing on you didn't teach you the skill before but Job Quest Morbol did. It's not really a big ask.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

what do you mean that hotkey disappeared
If there ends up being a Dancer job, all I ask is that it's a Tank class and I get to wear my fuckhuge armor for it. Having this gigantic eyebleed monster prancing around the bosses is too amazing to pass up.

Blue Mage would also be something I'm willing to try if it's a Tank. It makes sense since it'd be eating tank busters and thus have no shortage of painful boss attacks to return to sender.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

LLSix posted:

The inventory in ff14 is pretty good. Equipment is kept in an entirely separate inventory called the armory chest, so it doesn't really take up any space in your main (100-slot) inventory. Each gear slot has its own 25-slot inventory to accommodate it.

It only really gets dicey in two situations I can think of:

1) if you do lots of crafting/gathering, mats can start to pile up. But you really shouldn't invest too much in that early on.

2) if you play a lot of different classes at once, the armory chest can get cluttered. Especially since the game's outfit designer system requires you to physically have an item in your possession if you want to change your appearance to it. So that leads to a lot of "I can't sell that level 25 archer chest piece, I might want to glamour into it later!!" Which can get clunky.

They're expanding the armory chest with the next expansion I think, so even that will be less of a problem though.

SL the Pyro posted:

If there ends up being a Dancer job, all I ask is that it's a Tank class and I get to wear my fuckhuge armor for it. Having this gigantic eyebleed monster prancing around the bosses is too amazing to pass up.

Blue Mage would also be something I'm willing to try if it's a Tank. It makes sense since it'd be eating tank busters and thus have no shortage of painful boss attacks to return to sender.

Blue tank could be interesting actually. Like if you designed it so that a larger-than usual % of its damage came from abilities that reflected back on the attacker or something.

Ainsley McTree fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Note Block
May 14, 2007

nothing could fit so perfectly inside

Fun Shoe

Ainsley McTree posted:

The inventory in ff14 is pretty good. Equipment is kept in an entirely separate inventory called the armory chest, so it doesn't really take up any space in your main (100-slot) inventory. Each gear slot has its own 25-slot inventory to accommodate it.

It only really gets dicey in two situations I can think of:

1) if you do lots of crafting/gathering, mats can start to pile up. But you really shouldn't invest too much in that early on.

2) if you play a lot of different classes at once, the armory chest can get cluttered. Especially since the game's outfit designer system requires you to physically have an item in your possession if you want to change your appearance to it. So that leads to a lot of "I can't sell that level 25 archer chest piece, I might want to glamour into it later!!" Which can get clunky.

They're expanding the armory chest with the next expansion I think, so even that will be less of a problem though.

I have 5 retainers: 1 with most crafting mats, another with food/alchemy mats and materia, 1 assorted house/misc items, and 2 with just armor. And I feel I need another retainer for more glamour space. Not enough armor can go into the storage chest and that is one of my only gripes with FFXIV.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Note Block posted:

I have 5 retainers: 1 with most crafting mats, another with food/alchemy mats and materia, 1 assorted house/misc items, and 2 with just armor. And I feel I need another retainer for more glamour space. Not enough armor can go into the storage chest and that is one of my only gripes with FFXIV.

If they just reformed the system so that instead of needing to physically hold on to glamour gear, new pieces you pick up just went into a glamour library, I would have no inventory issues ever. I don't really craft much, so I only have the two free retainers, but their inventories are full to bursting mostly with dungeon drop gear that I might want to use for a costume some day, how dare you suggest I sell it

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Ainsley McTree posted:

If they just reformed the system so that instead of needing to physically hold on to glamour gear, new pieces you pick up just went into a glamour library, I would have no inventory issues ever. I don't really craft much, so I only have the two free retainers, but their inventories are full to bursting mostly with dungeon drop gear that I might want to use for a costume some day, how dare you suggest I sell it

If they could just expand the sets you can put into the armoire and let us glamour from things in the armoire it'd be enough to solve that issue.

Also I wish they could let you scale down crafting gear so if I have generic level 55 or 60 crafting gear, I can just wear that on all my crafters and the stats scale down so I don't need so much garbage in my inventory while leveling them all.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

So I got my code which means codes are being handed out now. Just a heads-up.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

I know it's dependant on servers and class etc but for people who levelled crafting from 1-50 /50-60 through the GC turn ins how much did it cost? I'm not sure if I'd want to creep into the millions for it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SL the Pyro posted:

So I got my code which means codes are being handed out now. Just a heads-up.

Where'd you order from?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
They really should just copy WoW's glamour system. There's no reason not to unless they think crafters would riot if prisms were removed.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Gally posted:

If they'd make it so you could at least start at 101 i think a lot more people would do the upper floors of POTD. 51 is just so punishing
I haven't even bothered trying to get a group together or anything myself.

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

Countblanc posted:

They really should just copy WoW's glamour system. There's no reason not to unless they think crafters would riot if prisms were removed.

You could keep prisms and still have a glamour *library* to choose from.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Countblanc posted:

PS3 limitations

also thank god that's going away.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

God drat they need to send me an email when major patches release. Grumble mutter resubscribe after work grargh.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

How does wow's system work for those who never touched it? Would love to not be stuck with one outfit at a time, especially now that I've gotten a lot more pvp gear to choose from.

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Brainamp posted:

How does wow's system work for those who never touched it? Would love to not be stuck with one outfit at a time, especially now that I've gotten a lot more pvp gear to choose from.

You learn any appearance you can equip and is soul bound to you, allowing you to get gear for looks then dump it and can always choose to look like that if you want.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The biggest change I want is job-specific glamours. I like using the AF gear, but then my other jobs look like clownsuits.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Countblanc posted:

I'm sure it's not crafters rioting and more like it would be a giant pain in the dick because of what their foundation code is built on.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

Glagha posted:

BLU would probably have a greater backlash if it didn't 'stick to its roots' or whatever for some reason. People REALLY like Blue Mages.

Honestly I've never gotten the popularity of it myself, considering that it was only a real job class in three games, a few more if you add in the Tactics series. You don't see people frothing that Beastmaster isn't in the game yet.

ApplesandOranges fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Feb 16, 2017

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

God drat they need to send me an email when major patches release. Grumble mutter resubscribe after work grargh.

Check your spam settings, I get lots of emails about events and patches.

SL the Pyro
Jun 16, 2013

My soul cries out
with the desire to
FRACTURE
your puny spine.

ImpAtom posted:

Where'd you order from?

Green Man Gaming, I jumped on a sale where it was 17% off (plus an e-mail voucher that knocked off another 5%). I believe the sale is still up if you sign in, but I may be wrong.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Stormgale posted:

You learn any appearance you can equip and is soul bound to you, allowing you to get gear for looks then dump it and can always choose to look like that if you want.

Yeah, it's a straight ripoff of gw2's system, which is the best system. I like the glam prisms, it adds a bit of stupid charm to the system for me, but the requirement to always have various gear on hand is stupid.

e: What they need to do is just allow everything in the armoire and let people use the contents as their glamour library. That way you get an infinite storage and you can organize it and throw out poo poo you don't want cluttering your library.

Truga fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Feb 16, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

super sweet best pal posted:

Flash was a Blue Mage skill in 5, so it makes sense.

They'd probably have the key skills behind the quests and put bonus ones on world and dungeon mobs. Run Keeper to get Gunship's Flamethrower, fight Greg to get Frog Song and Tiny Song, and so on for iconic gimmick and support skills.

The main issue with this is that it works fine in a single player game but not for an MMO as tightly balanced as this one. If you think simply getting bad pubbies in DF is a problem now, wait until you get a BLU and have no idea which skills they have, or if they even have any at all. You can't really make content appropriate for a class if you have no idea whether they'll have everything, or just Goblin Punch.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

ApplesandOranges posted:

BLU would probably have a greater backlash if it didn't 'stick to its roots' or whatever for some reason. People REALLY like Blue Mages.

Honestly I've never gotten the popularity of it myself, considering that it was only a real job class in three games, a few more if you add in the Tactics series. You don't see people frothing that Beastmaster isn't in the game yet.

I doubt it, people are STILL mad about Summoner even though it's still the best job.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Corn Dog Fountain posted:

I know it's dependant on servers and class etc but for people who levelled crafting from 1-50 /50-60 through the GC turn ins how much did it cost? I'm not sure if I'd want to creep into the millions for it.

it's taken me a cool 2-3 million to get most of my classes to 30. But now that they're there and are mostly geared I can usually make the turn-ins myself (since I have gatherers at 60), but at the same time there are easier ways to do it then the turn ins. The turns let you do it the fastest, but Ixali are basically gold neutral, though you can only really get 1 level a day, and Leves are usually cheaper to craft then the turn-ins.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
I'm extremely wary about how beastmaster could even be pulled off in 14. Dedicated pet classes are kind of tough to balance a lot of the time, which is why it was a good idea to make egis ultimately be a minor part of what Summoner brings. I think an interesting way to do Beastmaster would honestly be to give them a few pet "classes" similar to Summoner, but instead they would effectively be stances. The pet influences their buffs or combos by contributing the second or third parts.

No auto attacks, no independent threat generation, and it's not an attackable enitity just like minions are. Just a completely baked in part of the player itself that has it's own animations. Allow glamouring from pools of fauna. Keeps it simple while the flavor of the job remains completely intact.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

PS3 limitations

also thank god that's going away.

That's more likely a server issue. During the alpha/beta it was suggested and they said that they couldn't do it and settled with the glamour system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2 SPOOKY
Sep 9, 2010

Always Be Alert!

Skaw posted:

I'm extremely wary about how beastmaster could even be pulled off in 14. Dedicated pet classes are kind of tough to balance a lot of the time, which is why it was a good idea to make egis ultimately be a minor part of what Summoner brings. I think an interesting way to do Beastmaster would honestly be to give them a few pet "classes" similar to Summoner, but instead they would effectively be stances. The pet influences their buffs or combos by contributing the second or third parts.

No auto attacks, no independent threat generation, and it's not an attackable enitity just like minions are. Just a completely baked in part of the player itself that has it's own animations. Allow glamouring from pools of fauna. Keeps it simple while the flavor of the job remains completely intact.

This is honestly how I wish SMN was inplemented as well. A clunky movement system, inconsistencies with what do and don't damage the pet, etc. The only thing it would really harm is Titan egi tanking which was never that great anyway.

• Locked thread