Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

CLAM DOWN posted:

Yup, it genuinely sucks :(

:same:

I will never raid and I played GW1 regularly, almost obsessively, for three years and I'd love to be part of the story.

Just the one human origin choice where the White Mantle comes in to play was cool enough. I can't believe there is more and I won't get to see it. And it digs deeper into Caudecus, one of the first dungeons you get access to in GW2.

Oh, well. I guess I'll read the wiki about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

Kessel posted:

i wholeheartedly agree that this sucks and find anet's response so far to people asking for an "experience the story" mode (basically "just join a cleared instance and tour the place") to be a copout.

Well when the released bloodstone fen, they included the captain you saved after raid wings 1 and 2. The dude gave you a rundown on what happened in those wings, so maybe next living story expansion we'll get something similar?

I mean I'm not holding my breath for it, but still.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Aleph Null posted:

:same:

I will never raid and I played GW1 regularly, almost obsessively, for three years and I'd love to be part of the story

Yeah, I will never get to raid and thus never get to see this. I know I get my back up about this stuff but a lot of you do get to see this content, and I'm excluded along with other casual players solely because we can't/won't plan our life around group content. It's just really disheartening :(

I'm so disappointed in Anet for taking this route, especially after how in the years leading up to gw2 and the marketing at release is nonstop casual friendly accessible content.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Sprite141 posted:

Well when the released bloodstone fen, they included the captain you saved after raid wings 1 and 2. The dude gave you a rundown on what happened in those wings, so maybe next living story expansion we'll get something similar?

I mean I'm not holding my breath for it, but still.

This is kinda the audiobook version of

Aleph Null posted:

Oh, well. I guess I'll read the wiki about it.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.
Here's a summary of the deeply enriching Saul D'Alessio story:

Rememeber when he disappeared in a retcon shockwave at the end of a GW1 paid DLC mission to serve as a minor sequel hook in their developing GW2 story?

Well he came back after doing nothing for 250 years and oh look that's over.

where the red fern gropes posted:

i enjoy watching your engi show up to raids because its a huge gently caress you to the pug meta mentality and mirror comp is something that i don't enjoy seeing, so having that lone engineer/scrapper icon combo breaker lets me know that everything is ok

"When you only saw one engineer icon, that is when I carried you."

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

I've been leveling my guardian and it is fun as gently caress, hammer and gs feel so good to use. I also like all the other buffs and utility I can throw around.

It has also caused me to realize Sigils of Speed exist and they are amazing.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tsurupettan posted:

I've been leveling my guardian and it is fun as gently caress, hammer and gs feel so good to use. I also like all the other buffs and utility I can throw around.

It has also caused me to realize Sigils of Speed exist and they are amazing.

Just wait til you try Dragonhunter, it's the most fun I've had out of any gw2 class

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.
You know, I stopped using longbow on my DH when I realized how long range scepter was. I finished the specialization late after HoT released, and after the balance patch that fixed guardian weapons to have symbols. It completely changed scepter and I love it now, but I should go back and try longbow for once.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I would use scepter but I'm honour-bound to always have Moot equipped so I'm out of weapon slots.

Illuyankas
Oct 22, 2010

Scepter's still 900 range to Longbow's 1200, I don't even remember when it changed to 900 at all

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS

CLAM DOWN posted:

Just wait til you try Dragonhunter, it's the most fun I've had out of any gw2 class

gimme your setup and build for dh, pls. I wanted to give it a shot, but I ended up focusing on gearing everyone else out and kind of forgot about DH

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nickhimself posted:

gimme your setup and build for dh, pls. I wanted to give it a shot, but I ended up focusing on gearing everyone else out and kind of forgot about DH

I will tonight. Disclaimer that my build/gear is not minmax at all and I am not a serious hardcore player but I really like it and have a lot of fun with it.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I don't care about the min/max stuff. If you're having fun with it, so should I

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Kessel posted:

it's causing no end of trouble with regard to class comp, though. I actually felt so bad after today that I'm kitting out and trying to learn a hammer guard. it's a completely new experience for me because I have literally thousands of hours invested into engineer and like a total of 60 hours invested into all other classes combined.

i can't recommend engineer to someone relatively new to high-end content. this has been true since the beginning of gw2 but it's doubly so now. while it's true that only scrapper has eaten the nerf bat in the past few balance patches (and even then mostly for pvp), and it's also true that condi engi has a very high theoretical dps, it's important to note that 1) that dps is on small, stationary targets and 2) you won't hit anywhere near that theoretical because it's a ridiculous execution check.

what you are /supposed/ to do is keep every cd timer in your head and always use the most damaging skill out of all your weapons/kits combined. in reality all you can do as a human being is to make sure you have the fire-based cooldowns (incen ammo, blowtorch, fire bomb, the fire field from flamethrower + airblast) in your head and just flow through on everything else. you also have to pull a lot of bullshit tricks on non-ideal bosses (e.g. if you know that a boss is going to be dragged around a little by the tank, even if it's just a little, you have to do some positioning gymnastics to make sure the boss is going to walk along the long axis of your FT fire field - otherwise you risk losing out on damage.)

can you keep pace in high-end content? yeah. should you start on it now? no. it's more trouble than it's worth.

(this is a post specifically about engineer's role in raiding and if anyone uses it to start a dumpster fire about casual play i will cut them)

I'm in very much the same mind there. I tried switching to some other classes (Necro, Warrior, Mesmer and Guardian) and I found myself looking for more to do because I was so accustomed to keeping a mental tally of 3-4 different toolbars and half a dozen invisible timers. I was effective on those classes, but I was also thinking "this is...it?" because I'm so used to having to work harder for it. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the design philosophy behind Engineer skills was to take something from another class and split its effect across 2 skills plus (sometimes) a trait. I'd be okay with the extra work if it enabled me to be more effective that the other classes one skill but it generally is equal or worse. That's not even going into the traits that seem like traps or work against themselves (Juggernaut, Streamlined Kits et al.).

It just creates this quagmire of situational triggers that serve no purpose than to make the class more unintuitive and cumbersome to both play and design for. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know or that we've talked about. It's just frustrating that after nearly a year of not being able to play because of technical issues that even had Anet scratching their heads, I'm finally able to get back to find that not much has changed.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Ghostpilot posted:

I'm in very much the same mind there. I tried switching to some other classes (Necro, Warrior, Mesmer and Guardian) and I found myself looking for more to do because I was so accustomed to keeping a mental tally of 3-4 different toolbars and half a dozen invisible timers. I was effective on those classes, but I was also thinking "this is...it?" because I'm so used to having to work harder for it. I came to the conclusion a long time ago that the design philosophy behind Engineer skills was to take something from another class and split its effect across 2 skills plus (sometimes) a trait. I'd be okay with the extra work if it enabled me to be more effective that the other classes one skill but it generally is equal or worse. That's not even going into the traits that seem like traps or work against themselves (Juggernaut, Streamlined Kits et al.).

It just creates this quagmire of situational triggers that serve no purpose than to make the class more unintuitive and cumbersome to both play and design for. But I'm not telling you anything you don't already know or that we've talked about. It's just frustrating that after nearly a year of not being able to play because of technical issues that even had Anet scratching their heads, I'm finally able to get back to find that not much has changed.

Juggernaut, a flamethrower, and mecha legs are pretty good for zerging. Other than that, the flamethrower is fun but not optimal.
Note, I use flamethrower, elixir gun, and mortar kit almost exclusively as my weapons. The hammer is just for show.

Lonk
Jan 26, 2012

LET'S FUCKING GOOOOOOOO

nickhimself posted:

I don't care about the min/max stuff. If you're having fun with it, so should I

Arus just runs into zergs, tries to put down traps, dies horribly, goes afk for a few minutes then repeats. I certainly have fun watching it.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!
gently caress raids
Raids are poison
Next xpac should get rid of raiding

Blasphemeral
Jul 26, 2012

Three mongrel men in exchange for a party member? I found that one in the Faustian Bargain Bin.

Erdricks posted:

gently caress raids
Raids are poison
Next xpac should get rid of raiding

The next xpac should turn the raids into standard 5-man dungeons. Or 1-10 person scaleable dungeons, able to be tackled by any number of people from 1 to 10. They scale everything else in the game, why not dungeons? Let everyone who's either pretty good or that can drum up even a single buddy experience them.

*awaits hardcore rage reactions*

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

how about

get this

they just add an easier mode to raids with reduced rewards

like how they had hard mode in gw1

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
E: Johnny put it better than me

seriously just give an easymode raid setting that doesn't drop skins or whatever and let people go ham

bosses deal 25% their current damage, have 25% of their current health, and all instakill/instawipe mechanics are removed

voila

at that point I think a tryhard could solo most (all?) of the raids, which would make them about on par with the existing dungeons

Magres fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 16, 2017

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Shh don't say that to loud in this thread.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Actually related to raidchat and difficulty, if anyone wants to try raiding but is put off by having to learn rotations, run the perfect newbie build: HAMMERGUARD!

Hammerguard is, in my opinion, the absolute best setup for newbies to get into raids on. It's incredibly simple, it has a slew of "OH gently caress OH gently caress OH gently caress" buttons, some of which are basically Get Out Of Jail Free cards, and, best of all, it's actually really good! Pubbies ignore it because it has about 85% the theoretical damage of top DPS builds, but in practice almost no one in the game actually executes top DPS builds in fights at any better than about half their potential, and it's easy to play Hammerguard to near perfection.

Hammerguard is as follows:

Ascended Berserker Hammer (yes, you need an ascended weapon, it's an enormous loss of your character's potential to not use one)
Force and Accuracy Sigils
Full Berserker's Armor with Scholar Runes
Full Berserker trinkets (technically Assassins amulet is optimal), preferably Ascended
For food, run wiggle food or truffle steak if you can't wiggle worth a drat
For utility, run a potent master maintenance oil

Traits:
Zeal 233, Honor 232, Dragonhunter 123

Heal:
Take your pick, I prefer Litany of Wrath but my fiance swears by Shelter

Utilities:
Bane Signet, Procession of Blades, and either Fragments of Faith, Stand Your Ground, or Retreat

Fragments of of Faith - most damage of the 3, hands out Aegis (but kind of awkwardly)
SYG - Stability and group Stunbreak on a button is great in some fights
Retreat - instant Aegis is love and can save you and friends

Elite:
Dragon's Maw or Feel my Wrath - Maw if you really want Breaks, Wrath if you want to help smooth out Quickness and Fury

Your rotation:

Lay Traps / Yell Shouts
Press F1
Press 1
Press 1
Press 1
Repeat until Traps/Shouts/F1 come up
Apply F1/Traps/Shouts as needed (save Maw, Retreat, and SYG for appropriate situations, but pop Wrath, Fragments, and Procession on cooldown)
Keep Pressing 1 (no seriously your DPS rotation is "Mash 1 until your keyboard breaks")

If you need breaks:
Drop Maw
Press 2
Resume Pressing 1

If you get in trouble:
F2 and F3 are both amazing
SYG/Retreat/Shelter are all great defensive tech

Literally, by mashing 1, you will out DPS something like 60% of the DPS players in the game and comfortably clear every DPS check I can think of offhand. If you incorporate traps and F1 you'll push that 60% to more like 80%. Honestly, if I have to recruit someone from LFG I'd take a Hammerguard over an Ele literally any day of the week - recruiting Eles you're at something like 3 to 1 odds of getting someone who has no idea how to play the rotation and will spend the entire fight dead because they're too distracted trying to play the rotation they don't know well enough to dodge mechanics. Meanwhile, a Hammerguard can mash 1 and pass while focusing on mechanics and handing out Prot and heals and helping smooth out Quickness, Fury, and Might. I will never trust a pub Ele to not be terrible, but with Hammerguard it's reasonably likely a pub will play it just fine.

Of course, if you hate Guard play what you want, but if you're just looking to get your toes wet and aren't particularly attached to any class, Hammerguard is a great way to get into things.

Magres fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 16, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

how about

get this

This would resolve 90% of my issues with this crap :(

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

It's actually better to run Superior Rune of the Flame Legion as Guardian as a beginner raider because you will be doing way more damage with them and it's a nice 18 gold saved for your pocket. (Scholar uptime has to be around 80-85% to start making Scholar better).

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I use traveler runes still because that speed bonus is really nice on guardian for the majority of my playtime.

Tsurupettan
Mar 26, 2011

My many CoX, always poised, always ready, always willing to thrust.

that thing above is what i am doing, my guard is 60 now and it owns bones.

AnacondaHL posted:

It's actually better to run Superior Rune of the Flame Legion as Guardian as a beginner raider because you will be doing way more damage with them and it's a nice 18 gold saved for your pocket. (Scholar uptime has to be around 80-85% to start making Scholar better).

what are some other good discount sets for new/clueless players like myself? I was trying to hunt down some of the optimal runes in the various guides and the amount of gold was staggering.

Adhesive Gamin
Sep 29, 2010

Meatoberfest is in full swing.

Johnny Joestar posted:

how about

get this

How could they possibly reduce the rewards further?

Tsurupettan posted:

what are some other good discount sets for new/clueless players like myself? I was trying to hunt down some of the optimal runes in the various guides and the amount of gold was staggering.

Rage also works for power builds that don't really source their own burning but can keep up Fury, Water runes for Chronomancer (and maybe a couple more platinum doubloons in exotics) if you don't want to grind ore for Leadership.

Adhesive Gamin fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Feb 16, 2017

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

Magres posted:

Hammer Guardian stuff

This is pretty cool, Magres. Thanks for the spec and rundown.

I'll have to check my gear but I believe all of my stuff, minus one trinket or something, is zerk, and full ascended otherwise

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Adhesive Gamin posted:

How could they possibly reduce the rewards further?

No direct ascended drops (including skins) and no mag shards. Even with drops restricted to Exos and no mag shards, it's still like a gold per boss and an exo or rare that's worth 30s+. Blitzing four wings of easymode bosses could probably be done in like two hours and would pay out like 20g or so, which is pretty respectable gold income.

nickhimself posted:

This is pretty cool, Magres. Thanks for the spec and rundown.

I'll have to check my gear but I believe all of my stuff, minus one trinket or something, is zerk, and full ascended otherwise

No problem! I like helping people get into raiding, and one of the biggest barriers is just tackling the obstacle of where the hell to start learning.

Once you're comfortable with Hammerguard, give Scepter/Torch Guard a look as well. It's a little harder to play but is higher DPS if played well, and is 900 range which is pretty nice (and invaluable on some fights where some ranged damage is a requirement of the raid composition). It's also a really good build and, other than the weapons, is identical in gear to the Hammerguard build I wrote up (traits change some though).

As a general resource for anyone interested in raiding, the qT website is a great place to start. qT is a very high end raiding guild that puts out a lot of content about builds and rotations and their website in general is just a really helpful place to look for guidance when it comes to finding your footing in raids.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Feb 17, 2017

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"

Via the Guild Wars 2 Official Tumblr

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

that hammerguard guide is really good and i was already like 95% set up for it anyways, so i might see about jumping into some kiddie raids soon just cuz i'd like to be able to do stuff like that occasionally

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Johnny Joestar posted:

that hammerguard guide is really good and i was already like 95% set up for it anyways, so i might see about jumping into some kiddie raids soon just cuz i'd like to be able to do stuff like that occasionally

:hellyeah:

Raids aren't all sunshine and roses by any means, but they're really fun once you get the lay of the land, get a couple bosses under your belt, and find your groove. If you guys ever have questions about raidstuff feel free to fire me questions in game (Magres.2518). If you want a partner for pugging or to try and spin up a spontaneous group to go whack bosses and I'm online, hit me up and if I'm not busy/tired I'll come hit things for an hour and can help teach you new fights.

E: Oh one warning for build stuff, a huge balance patch is supposed to be coming out soon-ish, so don't go spending shitloads of gold kitting things out if you folks (or anyone else) were thinking of doing so. Most gear is fairly transferable from build to build, but you never know what's around the corner and it's very likely that the game's general raid meta will shift after the patch. Hammer Guard will probably be fine, but nothing is certain. Zerkers with Scholar Runes in it is very unlikely to go out of fashion any time soon, but if anyone drops 100g on a set of Exo Zerkers with Scholars on a class that then gets catastrophically murdered out of the DPS meta (*cough* Rev), they're poo poo out of luck.

Magres fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Feb 17, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres, my issue isn't knowing how/what to play or anything like that, it's more the time and scheduling commitment. You know the goon raiding groups way more than me, do you think it would ever be possible to do a late evening weeknight raid? Like, a Thursday at 9-11pm Pacific? Is that a pipe dream? I have no expectation that Anet will ever make the content accessible to the average player but I just want to see things once, not even regularly farm it or anything.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
Most of the people I know who raid frequently are the people who are in static groups already in BURD. That said, where there's a will there's a way. If you pick a time and advertise for it and pick some people up, ask for fills while you build a roster, and maybe play some pubbie roulette you can definitely put together a raid group that fits your schedule. My group is only like half goons, the rest were people who were friends of friends, I just grabbed fills by any means necessary while I was filling out the roster. Offhand I think I know of something like 2-4 people who might be looking for a group, though. As far as time, if you do literally any evenings but Thursday/Sunday I'll probably be game for helping out some - those are the nights I run with my crew and I'm generally exhausted after raid and not interested in hitting bosses anymore.

Also if you don't mind going later (probably like 1am-4am PST) there's definitely Australian raiding groups out there, and ime Australians are the absolute chillest gw2 players alive.

All of that said, agreed wholeheartedly that the logistics of raiding sucks, having to have exactly 10 people to have the best shot at clearing content completely sucks. Flex raiding or bust

Magres fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Feb 17, 2017

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Magres posted:

Most of the people I know who raid frequently are the people who are in static groups already in BURD. That said, where there's a will there's a way. If you pick a time and advertise for it and pick some people up, ask for fills while you build a roster, and maybe play some pubbie roulette you can definitely put together a raid group that fits your schedule. My group is only like half goons, the rest were people who were friends of friends, I just grabbed fills by any means necessary while I was filling out the roster. Offhand I think I know of something like 2-4 people who might be looking for a group, though. As far as time, if you do literally any evenings but Thursday/Sunday I'll probably be game for helping out some - those are the nights I run with my crew and I'm generally exhausted after raid and not interested in hitting bosses anymore.

Also if you don't mind going later (probably like 1am-4am PST) there's definitely Australian raiding groups out there, and ime Australians are the absolute chillest gw2 players alive.

All of that said, agreed wholeheartedly that the logistics of raiding sucks, having to have exactly 10 people to have the best shot at clearing content completely sucks. Flex raiding or bust

Yeah I get it. That effort and time of having to advertise, organize, etc, that's exactly the part I don't have the time nor desire to do. I might be able to do the occasional weekend afternoon, but I would feel guilty taking someone elses spot.

It's not a big deal, I just want to see the content, being locked out of it sucks.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010
Do you trust the ArenaNet esports match making to not lock you into a terrible team composition?

Yes / No / Don't count my vote

https://feedback.guildwars2.com/en/results

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Tsurupettan posted:

try rune of the thief, it is 10% damage from behind - you lose the power and ferocity from scholar runes, but gain precision and some condi damage, plus you should be hitting a boss in the rear end anyway and it doesn't rely on being max health (which, for a raid boss, is not 100% of the time)

though flame legion runes are like 4 silver so you can't get much lower honestly, the top end super clear groups use flame legion runes for their low man clears - they're extremely cheap, and extremely solid.

for the raid story: saul has some dialogue during the fight which explains his actions leading up to becoming the white mantle founder (being a thief, gambler and drunkard) while the cutscene you can view in a cleared instance is saul explaining what happened to him afterwards (imprisonment), i currently have a cleared instance if anybody wants to see that cutscene. his voice actor is pretty cool and you will definitely miss out on some stuff not doing the fight, but the cutscene is quite nice

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

where the red fern gropes posted:

for the raid story: saul has some dialogue during the fight which explains his actions leading up to becoming the white mantle founder (being a thief, gambler and drunkard) while the cutscene you can view in a cleared instance is saul explaining what happened to him afterwards (imprisonment), i currently have a cleared instance if anybody wants to see that cutscene. his voice actor is pretty cool and you will definitely miss out on some stuff not doing the fight, but the cutscene is quite nice

You around tonight? I'll be home 9pm my time or 3pm AEST

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

CLAM DOWN posted:

You around tonight? I'll be home 9pm my time or 3pm AEST

yeah poke me on steam if i'm not on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Its simple to fix raids really.

Double or even triple the rewards for the raid as it is.

Offer an easy mode for the rest of us, you can still get titles and rewards and poo poo, remove the enrage timers to.

Voila, now more people will be raiding with less pressure on them and those that spend the time to learn the raid will get even more poo poo for their troubles.

• Locked thread