Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kfroog
Nov 9, 2012

RagnarokAngel posted:

The "tougher crimes" part seems like a common sense compromise but it's inherently admitting that Trans people are probably rapists SOMETIMES and perpuates the bullshit that made HB2 a thing to start with.

I meant, how is it unfortunate that the democrats are in power in the states where they're not worthless?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Kfroog posted:

I meant, how is it unfortunate that the democrats are in power in the states where they're not worthless?

Oh I'm dumb. The point I was trying to make but didn't articulate well was that the states where they're needed the most they're not as strong at pushing the right agendas.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I don't know, maybe I'm overly optimistic but it seems like the Democrats are doing this to back Republicans into a corner.

Republicans want to maintain the public fiction that they're just trying to protect against crime and why no we're not discriminating against trans people here how dare you, while privately keeping the religious fundies voting for them. The fiction is necessary because the broader public doesn't support nutball fundy poo poo.

By acting like the public fiction is true and offering Republicans tougher bathroom crime laws without the anti-trans stuff, Republicans either have to go along with repeal because their alleged concerns are being addressed, or come right out and say that's not good enough we want to punish trans people and lose public support.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

VitalSigns posted:

I don't know, maybe I'm overly optimistic but it seems like the Democrats are doing this to back Republicans into a corner.

Republicans want to maintain the public fiction that they're just trying to protect against crime and why no we're not discriminating against trans people here how dare you, while privately keeping the religious fundies voting for them. The fiction is necessary because the broader public doesn't support nutball fundy poo poo.

By acting like the public fiction is true and offering Republicans tougher bathroom crime laws without the anti-trans stuff, Republicans either have to go along with repeal because their alleged concerns are being addressed, or come right out and say that's not good enough we want to punish trans people and lose public support.

Meanwhile when someone decides I'm definitely peeping because I'm 6'4" and they saw the top of my head over the stall harsher laws mean that I'm going to get hosed over harder until I can get a lawyer to sort it out in court.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Meanwhile when someone decides I'm definitely peeping because I'm 6'4" and they saw the top of my head over the stall harsher laws mean that I'm going to get hosed over harder until I can get a lawyer to sort it out in court.

Just another dog whistle. Like anti-"sodomy" laws magically only applying to homosexual men. It gives them a hammer to beat over the head of those they hate while providing plausible deniability when they choose to not use it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
In no surprise to anyone news

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...e-a7580201.html

quote:

The summons said: “Defendants-appellants hereby withdraw their pending November 23, 2016 motion for partial stay pending appeal.

“The parties jointly move to remove from the Court’s calendar the February 14, 2017 oral argument currently scheduled for that motion.

“The parties are currently considering how best to proceed in this appeal.”

Mr Sessions, who previously served as a senator for Alabama, has a long track record of opposing gay rights legislation having been an outspoken critic of equal marriage and has voted against federal laws banning LGBT hate crime and the repeal of Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I think we're going to actually be in the reverse position of the argument similar to how the State didn't want to defend PROP 8 . Sessions isn't going to allow the DOJ to argue against any new " criminalized homosexual" laws and transgender plaintiff laws etc.. All those protections are going out the window.

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are apparently pretty liberal in their social views so I don't think we're going to get any EO orders that are super detrimental to the LGBT community , but Sessions is going to gently caress the community anyway he can.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Hollismason posted:

Yeah I think we're going to actually be in the reverse position of the argument similar to how the State didn't want to defend PROP 8 . Sessions isn't going to allow the DOJ to argue against any new " criminalized homosexual" laws and transgender plaintiff laws etc.. All those protections are going out the window.

Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner are apparently pretty liberal in their social views so I don't think we're going to get any EO orders that are super detrimental to the LGBT community , but Sessions is going to gently caress the community anyway he can.

The title IX protections extended jointly by the DoE and DoJ were done simply in a policy statement that Sessions has voided. There are no more Title IX protections for trans students.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hollismason posted:

Ivanka and Kushner have no impact on policy and even if they did, they only care about finance. They're not gonna help us. We're ruled by Sessions and Bannon now.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pollyanna posted:

Ivanka and Kushner have no impact on policy and even if they did, they only care about finance. They're not gonna help us. We're ruled by Sessions and Bannon now.

Any LGBT friends they have are probably wealthy enough to weather the storm without explicit legal protections.

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Pollyanna posted:

Eh, I don't think that's true.

Kushner, at least, is a big(bigly?) Influence on 45,

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Thalantos posted:

Eh, I don't think that's true.

Kushner, at least, is a big(bigly?) Influence on 45,

Sessions already pulled title IX protection for trans students.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Aleph Null posted:

Any LGBT friends they have are probably wealthy enough to weather the storm without explicit legal protections.

"As I do not personally require these protections, obviously they are not really needed, thus no one should have them."

- Wealthy gay men and straight white women.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Gorilla Salad posted:

"As I do not personally require these protections, obviously they are not really needed, thus no one should have them."

- Wealthy gay men and straight white women.

More like "I do not personally experience any hardships, therefore nobody does and if they claim that they do they are lying and scheming."

Dwanyelle
Jan 13, 2008

ISRAEL DOESN'T HAVE CIVILIANS THEY'RE ALL VALID TARGETS
I'm a huge dickbag ignore me

Mr. Nice! posted:

Oh, I'm keeping up to date on this stuff, I'm well aware.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Hey, a person in the trans discussion thread was wondering if the title IX case before the Supreme Court currently is affected by this, or if they could independently still decide to rule that trans people are protected by title IX?

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Hey, a person in the trans discussion thread was wondering if the title IX case before the Supreme Court currently is affected by this, or if they could independently still decide to rule that trans people are protected by title IX?

The legal question (how much weight does an executive agency's interpretation of the law have) would not be affected, and the Supreme Court could not independently dictate that trans people are protected by Title IX.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I'm not familiar with the case so I can't speak to any specifics on it. I can say the court can absolutely still extend protections. It's kindof their job in civil rights cases. Sessions' actions could help or hurt the case depending on where it is at in the timeline. If they still haven't heard argument, then it could provide concrete examples of why these protections should be extended.

What's the case name and I'll look and give you a better answer.

e:f;b.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm not familiar with the case so I can't speak to any specifics on it. I can say the court can absolutely still extend protections. It's kindof their job in civil rights cases. Sessions' actions could help or hurt the case depending on where it is at in the timeline. If they still haven't heard argument, then it could provide concrete examples of why these protections should be extended.

What's the case name and I'll look and give you a better answer.

e:f;b.

Looks like it's 16-273 GLOUCESTER COUNTY SCHOOL BOARD V. G.G. according to the poster who asked.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Maher having Milo on was exactly as poo poo as everyone expected, and what a shock Bill agrees with him and all, but Larry Wilmore made some very good comments and thankfully the main takeaway has been mostly 'Milo looked like an idiot, Wilmore rules, and haha holy poo poo what's wrong with Bill Maher'

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/18/larry-wilmore-blasts-milo-yiannopoulos-on-real-time-go-f-ck-yourself.html

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Maher having Milo on was exactly as poo poo as everyone expected, and what a shock Bill agrees with him and all, but Larry Wilmore made some very good comments and thankfully the main takeaway has been mostly 'Milo looked like an idiot, Wilmore rules, and haha holy poo poo what's wrong with Bill Maher'

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2017/02/18/larry-wilmore-blasts-milo-yiannopoulos-on-real-time-go-f-ck-yourself.html

Unless you're a white transphobe, in which case the takeaway is 'hmm, this Milo guy has some good ideas, shame about the angry black man on the show'

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Venomous posted:

Unless you're a white transphobe, in which case the takeaway is 'hmm, this Milo guy has some good ideas, shame about the angry black man on the show'

well yea but gently caress those folk

DeathMuffin
May 25, 2004

Cake or Death

Tatum Girlparts posted:

well yea but gently caress those folk

But yeah, expect to see those made up numbers recycled in anti-trans propaganda, particularly if ballot initiatives get up. They're getting much more explicit about painting us as sex offenders.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
There go protections for trans kids :(

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Coffee And Pie posted:

There go protections for trans kids :(

let's start a new charity, guns for trans kids.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

cis autodrag posted:

let's start a new charity, guns for trans kids.

this is terrible, even as joke

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AriadneThread posted:

when you are well-armed, everywhere is your bathroom.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

AriadneThread posted:

empty quote, what the heck my dude

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

cis autodrag posted:

when you are well-armed, everywhere is your bathroom.

with this addendum, I agree, but man did it look like you were going in a different direction at first

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

with this addendum, I agree, but man did it look like you were going in a different direction at first

wait, did you think i was implying we should kill trans kids or something? i was making the standard "<x> wouldn't be a problem for <y> if they were armed". im trans my dude, i want to protect all the adorable trans kids.

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
other way around

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Senju Kannon posted:

other way around

i am not actually advocating that transgender children be armed and shoot their way into the bathroom. instead, i am playing upon the common theme of weapons being the solution to any problem someone might have. an absurd statement, if you will.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

i was more coming at it from the angle of population known to be prone to suicide + guns being an unfunny combination then some kind of trans child toilet liberation army
i'm not, like, upset, just really put off

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I read it more like an 'Arm The Homeless' thing. Like, I'm not sure that giving lots of guns to a population more likely to have undiagnosed mental health issues and less likely to have gun safes is a great idea, but that's not the sentiment behind the phrase.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

AriadneThread posted:

i was more coming at it from the angle of population known to be prone to suicide + guns being an unfunny combination then some kind of trans child toilet liberation army
i'm not, like, upset, just really put off

yeah, i didnt think of that angle but you're right that was kinda lovely. im sorry guys. this is why memes are bad i guess.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

cis autodrag posted:

yeah, i didnt think of that angle but you're right that was kinda lovely. im sorry guys. this is why memes are bad i guess.

can't speak for anyone else, but we're cool

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Why does the "woke" left have such a hateboner for white gay men? I don't see this level of vitriol from these people aimed at any other subset of any minority group, white or not.

https://twitter.com/elielcruz/status/834833893157195778

Senju Kannon
Apr 9, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
you can only see "no blacks no asians no latinos" so many times before you just assume all white gays are racist (the racist thing is because all white people are born in a white supremacist society and therefore we learn racism at an early age and need to learn how to not be racist, so it's a fair assumption to make; biphobic and transphobic idk tho seems kinda weird to pin that on gay dudes specifically, especially since historically speaking lesbian politics have been more about that poo poo)

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

MaxxBot posted:

Why does the "woke" left have such a hateboner for white gay men? I don't see this level of vitriol from these people aimed at any other subset of any minority group, white or not.

https://twitter.com/elielcruz/status/834833893157195778

Like all things online it gets echoed out of proportion, but white gay men still have white and male privilege. While they have some of the disadvantages that come with being queer in America, they are by far the most protected out of any of us both financially and socially, and this can frequently lead to them having blind spots about the struggles the rest of the community deal with. It can often feel like white gay men are strong allies right up until their issues are addressed and then they drop the rest of the community to sort their own poo poo out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
Yeah that's the part I find confusing, I recognize that racism is a serious issue that needs to be worked on and I've certainly meet white gays with terrible views but they're certainly not singularly bad in that regard. I don't see these same people attacking "white male Jews" or anything like that with such vitriol. I literally don't think I have ever seen one of these "woke" people go after white lesbians.

• Locked thread