Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

dissss posted:

Well it's dying later in the year.

The model range that really baffles me is Hyundai - I can't possibly see how there can be room for the i20/30/40 in the same market as the Accent/Elantra/Sonata

International markets :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

dissss posted:

Well it's dying later in the year.

The model range that really baffles me is Hyundai - I can't possibly see how there can be room for the i20/30/40 in the same market as the Accent/Elantra/Sonata

For regions that sell both, it usually breaks down like this:

i20 = Supermini
Accent = Subcompact
Elantra = Cheaper Compact
i30 = Compact
Sonata = Cheaper Midsize
i40 = Midsize

In the Korean market, most taxis are Elantras or Sonatas, so people will naturally buy the i30 / i40 to not look like a taxi.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Proud Christian Mom posted:

and theyll still be special ordered in either white or silver I bet :smithicide:

It's volvo's fault for offering 7 different shades of white/black/grey

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Volvo's Seven Shades of Grey

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

International markets :science:

In Europe they only sell the iXX line at this point

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

FuturePastNow posted:

Volvo's Seven Shades of Grey

Well after all it's the swedes choice of colour because "The dirt doesn't show as much :downs:".

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I seriously can't figure this out, so somebody please tell me, why the hell PSA is trying to buy Opel/Vauxhall?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Q_res posted:

I seriously can't figure this out, so somebody please tell me, why the hell PSA is trying to buy Opel/Vauxhall?

They're making money again and something must be done about it.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Q_res posted:

Makes them the second largest car maker in the EU market, gives them tons of government contracts for things like police cars and rental cars. Other than that not entirely sure since if you offered me a Peugeot or a Vauxhall as the only things available to drive I would walk.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Q_res posted:

A non-french badge in non-french markets.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Q_res posted:

PSA needs to do something because alone they are too small to have the scale needed for long term viability, and likely has some backing in terms of capital from the French state, since they are a national champion of sorts in France.

GM already tried to get rid of Opel Vauxhall in 2009 but failed, they're trying harder this time and making it more attractive presumably. Opel Vauxhall is a perennial money loser because there just aren't any profits to be had in small cheap cars in Europe and GM get's a better return on its investment from more tape and stripe special edition 3/4t Silverados.

http://www.autonews.com/article/20170214/OEM02/170219914/barras-move-to-sell-opel-signals-deeper-change-at-gm

All future GM small cars will likely come from China.

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

This is terrible what will happen to the opel gt concept?!?!

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

LOL GM is gonna screw Holden yet again if this happens.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

BigPaddy posted:

Makes them the second largest car maker in the EU market, gives them tons of government contracts for things like police cars and rental cars. Other than that not entirely sure since if you offered me a Peugeot or a Vauxhall as the only things available to drive I would walk.

Have you driven any of the newer Peugeots?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

Deteriorata posted:

They're making money again and something must be done about it.

Mazda has this same problem sometimes, and when they do they poo poo out another apex seal side seal Wankel engine.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

KozmoNaut posted:

Have you driven any of the newer Peugeots?

Fair question, last one I drove was a 208 and a C5 a few years back.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
I daily drive a Fiesta and I'd take a 208 over a Fiesta 7 days a week, if it wasn't for the completely retarded instrument pod/steering wheel combo in the Pug making it impossible for me to see anything of the gauges at all if I want to sit somewhat comfortable.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
What's wrong with the current Opels? I thought the Astra was a pretty good little car

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
Much like Peugeot(sorry kozmonaut), they don't really stand out in any way, and are mostly associated with fleet sales IMO. KIA/Hyundai has better warranties and has probably stolen a lot of potential Opel customers. VAG has more and possibly more modern driveline and engine options. Fords have been more fun to drive. The Japanese has their reputation for reliability. Its not like they are significantly cheaper than their midfield competition either. The Astra may be good, but its segment is extremely competitive

I guess a loss of customers have forced them to commit heavily to fleet sales, and people only experiencing them as rentals isn't helping their stodgy image, further leading them to unprofitable fleet sales.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

I saw an S90 in person today, they look even better in person than in photos.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Disgruntled Bovine posted:

I saw an S90 in person today, they look even better in person than in photos.
Yeah dude I saw one on my street a month or so ago and gently caress brand reputations, if driving one makes me an Old at 24 then i'm cool with that. Also if anyone has 50k they aren't using and wanna slide my way i really wouldn't mind

I thought Chevy dropped out of Europистан, so if Peugeot buys Opel/Vauxhall then is GM just hightailin outta the place or what?

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Feb 18, 2017

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I saw one of the new Continentals yesterday; looks very much what it is.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

BloodBag posted:

Mazda has this same problem sometimes, and when they do they poo poo out another apex seal side seal Wankel engine.

I feel like they've almost gone too conservative now - can't even drop AWD and the 2.5t in the 3? It all would fit, and it'd shred.

That said, they're knocking their normal models out of the park, are bringing the diesel over, and the RF at least was a surprise so here's hoping for some Mazdaspeed jams soon.

Oh, and loving Carplay.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Wistful of Dollars posted:

This can go both good and bad (probably meant to). Do we finally have a new luxo-yacht that isn't an SUV?

BloodBag
Sep 20, 2008

WITNESS ME!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I feel like they've almost gone too conservative now - can't even drop AWD and the 2.5t in the 3? It all would fit, and it'd shred.

That said, they're knocking their normal models out of the park, are bringing the diesel over, and the RF at least was a surprise so here's hoping for some Mazdaspeed jams soon.

Oh, and loving Carplay.

Man, I've been moaning on that they couldn't be bothered to drop the 2.5T into the miata since 2006. They didn't want to unseat the halo car that was the shitwad RX-8 :rolleyes: I will say the RF is pretty loving cool looking in person.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

davebo posted:

Volvo V90 pricing is out:
"Prices for the entry-level T5 FWD R-Design V90 will start from $49,950, with a destination fee bumping that price by another $995. For that price of entry buyers will get front-wheel drive and a turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder engine developing 250 horsepower and 258 lb-ft of torque. Other standard features include Volvo's City Safety technology suite, Blind Spot Information System and Apple CarPlay and Android Auto.

For those that prefer a more understated wagon, the T5 FWD Inscription V90 can be had from $51,950. Both trims can be upgraded with Volvo's T6 AWD package, which includes a 316 horsepower supercharged and turbocharged 2.0L four-cylinder and all-wheel drive. Prices for the T6 AWD R-Design V90 start from $$55,950 while the T6 AWD Inscription V90 commands $57,950."

Sure looks nice but for someone who doesn't care about luxury interiors that's well over what I'd pay for those specs. Hope it sells well though.

People should care, because that Volvo interior is one of the very best on the market, certainly at that price.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Yeah a V90 is seriously on my list of cars to consider next go around.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

As Nero Danced posted:

This can go both good and bad (probably meant to). Do we finally have a new luxo-yacht that isn't an SUV?

Looks, comfy, composed and not at all "sporty".

I'd love one for commuting and highway cruising. :v:

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...

As Nero Danced posted:

It's easily the most swanky and plush interior I've ever seen short of a Maybach, Rolls Royce, or Bentley. The one that I sat in had the 30 way adjustable drivers seat and the Revel 19 speaker stereo system. I'll say this, the seat was like sitting on a cloud that hugged you and whispered sweet nothings into your ear; and the stereo easily rivaled my $10k home theater setup in terms of imaging and fidelity. It was a good thing my wife wasn't with me when I was looking at it or I have a feeling she would have been driving it home.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I was at the autoshow yesterday and all the people looking at the Lincolns were 60+ years old.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
Is the Chicago auto show worth going to?

Michael Scott
Jan 3, 2010

by zen death robot
I'll say no, doesn't seem like any of the automakers save any announcements or products of note for the CAS. Feels like being paid to be advertised to. I could be wrong though!

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Residency Evil posted:

I haven't gone for a few years. It's advertised as "THE COUNTRY'S BIGGEST!" and it is big as hell, but all the fun reveals and poo poo usually happen in Detroit so there's not really a lot of fun stuff. The Viper was unlocked one year a few years back and that was pretty cool, but it's just not special enough for me to make the trip downtown anymore.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Residency Evil posted:

CAS is the truck and SUV show. This year has the Durango SRT, new Expedition and mildly refreshed Sequoia.

got fired from Snopes
Aug 28, 2014

Residency Evil posted:

If you want to ogle some halo cars, or hoping to catch a reveal. Meh, I'd pass.

If you're looking for a new ride in the near future, than definitely.

CAS is very consumer focused, most automakers will bring drat near their entire range, making it easy to compare vehicles without bouncing between tens of different dealerships.

triple clutcher
Jul 3, 2012
I went to my local "auto expo" today and the Continental seemed like the nicest thing they had in their luxury section by far. The BMW / Mercedes / Audi stuff was alright, but the leather in most of it felt cheap and stiff.

Then again, I sat in a Chevy Sonic and found it to be not unpleasant, so I may not be the best arbiter of high-end cars.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

triple clutcher posted:

Then again, I sat in a Chevy Sonic and found it to be not unpleasant, so I may not be the best arbiter of high-end cars.

I bleed GM blue, but the Sonic is a hateful little piece of poo poo that should have never left the third world. Get a Fiesta instead.

Get a Fiesta ST instead. :black101:

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

I recently did someone else a favor and dropped their Nissan off at the dealers for them. I felt a mixture of surprise and disappointment when I looked around the place and realized that there was nothing there I would want to spend my own money on.

I suppose I'd hardly say "no" if someone gave me a free Maxima or GTR, but my own money? No way.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I recently did someone else a favor and dropped their Nissan off at the dealers for them. I felt a mixture of surprise and disappointment when I looked around the place and realized that there was nothing there I would want to spend my own money on.

That was me today at the Pittsburgh auto show. The singular car I was interested in, the Focus RS, was a no show. Hundreds of cars and, hold a gun to my head and told I had to buy one with my own money, I would have to have a hard long think.

The most exciting thing I saw was that the BRZ got audio controls on the steering wheel now which makes me want to trade mine in.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Feb 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

bull3964 posted:

That was me today at the Pittsburgh auto show. The singular car I was interested in, the Focus RS, was a no show. Hundreds of cars and, hold a gun to my head and told I had to buy one with my own money, I would have to have a hard long think.

The most exciting thing I saw was that the BRZ got audio controls on the steering wheel now which makes me want to trade mine in.

It seriously didn't come with that before?? Wow... that's.. weird.