Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Hmmmm that gives me an idea: sous vide advocaat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I don't know that recipe but try 80 Celsius for at least an hour and make sure the number of egg yolks is correct, I tried several recipes and if the ratio of egg yolks to other ingredients is off it becomes runny in my experience.
Here is the short hand for the recipe.

83C @1hr
6 yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of kosher salt
In a bowl whisk egg yolk, sugar & salt until smooth and then whisk in the cream and add vanilla.

Cook for 1 hour. Remove bag when done & shake to redistribute. Evenly divide among 4oz ramekins. Tap each against the counter to smooth out and remove air bubbles. Chill for at least 3 hours.

Do the sugar & fire part.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

spankmeister posted:

Hmmmm that gives me an idea: sous vide advocaat.

Doesn't that require constant stirring?

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

sterster posted:

Here is the short hand for the recipe.

83C @1hr
6 yolks
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
Pinch of kosher salt
In a bowl whisk egg yolk, sugar & salt until smooth and then whisk in the cream and add vanilla.

Cook for 1 hour. Remove bag when done & shake to redistribute. Evenly divide among 4oz ramekins. Tap each against the counter to smooth out and remove air bubbles. Chill for at least 3 hours.

Do the sugar & fire part.

I used this recipe which others in the thread recommended. It worked great.

I have noticed the few jars that weren't eaten right away started to get a little liquefied in the fridge. I am not sure if that is from the sugar crackle on the top breaking down or the creme breaking down.

I like the way the glass jars worked too except one of them I had the top too loose and it got water in it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Trastion posted:

I used this recipe which others in the thread recommended. It worked great.

I have noticed the few jars that weren't eaten right away started to get a little liquefied in the fridge. I am not sure if that is from the sugar crackle on the top breaking down or the creme breaking down.

I like the way the glass jars worked too except one of them I had the top too loose and it got water in it.

Sugar is hygroscopic, so yeah you shouldn't put it on until it's time to serve. It will get gummy and then watery given enough time.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Jeoh posted:

could be for the same reason that sous vide might work - to prevent overheating at the edges of the pan

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Anybody try cooking in rezip reusable bags? Looking to pick up a couple to cut down on waste, curious how they hold up. Or alternate brands. These just caught my eye.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeoh posted:

It's basically a boozy custard so I think it should be fine.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Well, I got my replacement Anova PC today, and it appears to be a brand new Bluetooth unit (which is fine, my old unit was Bluetooth-only as well), but in black :( I wanted red, like my old one.

Oh well, can't complain about a brand new replacement after having the thing for a little over two years.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
Looks like our resident goon project sous vide machine "mellow" is vaporware

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Link?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CrazyLittle posted:

Looks like our resident goon project sous vide machine "mellow" is vaporware

Phooey, I backed that.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

https://www.facebook.com/cookmellow/

I haven't been following it, but from what I gather from their facebook a fall 2016 ship date came and went, and then they announced in December they were partnering with a new company to manufacture the product

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
looks like they are doing refunds on the preorders, if you nag them on that FB page

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

BraveUlysses posted:

looks like they are doing refunds on the preorders, if you nag them on that FB page

Man that's gotta suck-having an idea and almost bringing it to production, but then something happened and having to cancel/refund all the orders. drat.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

sex swing from IKEA posted:

Man that's gotta suck-having an idea and almost bringing it to production, but then something happened and having to cancel/refund all the orders. drat.

On the flip side it looks like you can still pre-order and it says shipping early 2017 so gently caress 'em

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Subjunctive posted:

Phooey, I backed that.

can i interest you in a jpg of a sous vide machine

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Why try to reinvent the wheel, at some point? Anova does their job well, it's not too much for a unit, they're decent about sending you a new one if the old one busts... I guess some people just want to be on the cutting edge no matter what. I can understand that, certainly.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Bogart posted:

Why try to reinvent the wheel, at some point?

Because it's not? Have you even read the feature list for the Mellow? They're considerably different products.

The short version of it is that it can both refrigerate and heat, so you can hold your water bath at cold/safe temperature until a scheduled time, so you can do shorter cooks and still get home to a ready sous vide meal.

On the other end, Anova had a more basic version of this where you could ice bath your water and autostart a cook if it warmed up beyond safe temperatures. Guess what happened? They stopped supporting that feature and dropped it for... "more recipes in app"! :downs:

By that standard, Elon Musk shouldn't have invented the Tesla because it's reinventing the wheel.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Tesla and Anova have shipped product though.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Steve Yun posted:

Tesla and Anova have shipped product though.

Oh, for sure. I didn't back the Mellow -- not available to Canada, and even though I like the idea, I wanted to wait and see how it turns out before investing that much. But you can't really argue that it's the same product as the Anova.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
The mellow looks like it would be a real bastard to clean

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I didn't know all that about the Mellow. :shobon:

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Jan posted:

On the other end, Anova had a more basic version of this where you could ice bath your water and autostart a cook if it warmed up beyond safe temperatures. Guess what happened? They stopped supporting that feature and dropped it for... "more recipes in app"! :downs:

They probably dropped it for liability reasons.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

VERTiG0 posted:

They probably dropped it for liability reasons.

Took them several weeks to stop advertising it as a feature after they patched it out.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I thought I recalled some goon doing the math and the mellow couldn't get the water & food down to safe temps quick enough with its power.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

I thought I recalled some goon doing the math and the mellow couldn't get the water & food down to safe temps quick enough with its power.

It was never intended to "get down". It's basically the same idea as the Anova's ice-bath start. You start cold, and the mellow is supposed to hold it at refrigerated temps until the cooking time is scheduled to start. Cold to hot is significantly easier to do than hot to cold, which not part of any of their claims.

CrazyLittle posted:

Samizdata posted:

Huh. I thought I saw something about it chilling it afterwards too. Oh, well, I can't afford any of these toys any way, so I am lucky I remembered it at all.

Nope, the goon involved specifically said that going from cold to hot was doable, but the reverse direction (hot to cold) not so much.

Drive By posted:

Cold to hot takes 10 minutes, hot to cold takes 2 hours or more, room temperature to cold takes an hour or so. The major benefit is keeping food safe while you're away fromthe kitchen, but the more we play with it, the more we find out you can do some funky things when you have full control of the temperature spectrum.

Drive By posted:

Sorry nwin, I thought that was the case you were originally referring to. I can't recommend you do cook-chill with our thing, for most foods the core temperature won't decrease fast enough to guarantee safety.

The general cooking curve our algorithm goes through is: chill for a while, cook just in time, decrease temperature slightly if necessary for some reason (when it's possible).

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Wasn't someone trying to recreate this ?
Starbucks eggs.
https://anovaculinary.com/easy-homemade-sous-vide-egg-bites/

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

I've been making egg bites for breakfast - they're super easy, keep well, and taste good. Definitely a winner if you like doing meal prep.

snyprmag
Oct 9, 2005

Do you keep them in the fridge or frozen? How are they best reheated?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
I made one as a tester this morning and it was pretty awesome. Just used three eggs, some mozzarella and cheddar cheese and caramelized onions and peppers. Threw that all in an 8oz jar and let it go for an hour at 172. Very pleased with the results.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

rockcity posted:

I made one as a tester this morning and it was pretty awesome. Just used three eggs, some mozzarella and cheddar cheese and caramelized onions and peppers. Threw that all in an 8oz jar and let it go for an hour at 172. Very pleased with the results.

Air at the top of the jar doesn't matter?

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

Bum the Sad posted:

Air at the top of the jar doesn't matter?

The jar was full.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I made them as well. Filled with random veggies, green chile sausage, pepperjack, and eggs to fill the cracks. They are very good, but they have a very uniform texture in the eggs that I find totally ok and my wife detests. They are much better with the sausage than without. As convenience breakfasts go in my house, they're pretty good and I will continue to make them for myself. Steamed broccoli does well, bell peppers are good, sauteed kale (couldn't find spinach) is good but you should chop it first or it becomes hard to cut through after they are prepared. I end up popping them out onto a plate, cutting them into quarters, and microwaving for a minute to bring them to a decent temperature for immediately shoveling into my face before I run out the door because I am always late.

Dice habaņero also does wonders for them if you enjoy spicy food, but be sure you aren't surprising someone with that.

I'm planning to make a few where I don't blend the eggs into a uniform mix to see if I can get some texture variety in there that my wife will enjoy.

sba
Jul 9, 2001

bae
I thought the texture was a bit odd too, but I never had the Starbucks ones to compare to.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Made a rump roast. 14 hours at 134, with a dry rub. Looks like my old-rear end Meh refurbished sealer isn't cutting the mustard anymore, let a bit of water leak in (but not out? idk. hypotronic solution, or something. science is hard!). The meat still looks fine. Is it safe to sear and serve?

turing_test
Feb 27, 2013

snyprmag posted:

Do you keep them in the fridge or frozen? How are they best reheated?

I keep them in the fridge and warm them up in the microwave because I'm super lazy. They do have a weird custardy texture, but it doesn't bother me because I'm a zombie before I have caffeine anyway.

I made mine with egg whites and cottage cheese and blended everything in my Vitamix. I then poured the mixture over cooked sausage and some leeks cooked in butter. I was actually pretty shocked at how well the finger-tightening worked - they didn't float at all!

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
I have a nice hangar steak rubbed with Meat Church Holy Cow in the bath at 125 right now. I will be searing it on my Arteflame grill insert in an hour or so. My first time puddle cooking a steak!

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

VERTiG0 posted:

I have a nice hangar steak rubbed with Meat Church Holy Cow in the bath at 125 right now. I will be searing it on my Arteflame grill insert in an hour or so. My first time puddle cooking a steak!

Gonna love it. Dry before searing IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Would just whisking your eggs in a bowl instead of hitting em with the food processor help the texture at all? Or is that more a function of the cooking method?