Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009

kastein posted:

Yep, that's the big six bolt pattern from 2.5 ton rockwells not the little one from yota and half ton chevy/FSJ axles. He probably snapped the kingpins or knuckles, that happens when you abuse those axles too much.

As for ripping off the chassis... time to find a YouTube video :banjo:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlS7OPkTkU

Description and video are both premium sister-fucker content. I will never understand mud bogging in big hackjob trucks with hackjob lifts a foot taller than they need to be.

It's the meth. Then the kinfolk fuckin. Then the sun an 30 pack o busch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

It's like reading a transcript of conversation at a family reunion somewhere in the middle of Nowhere, Louisiana, and all the commenters are inexplicably 1st degree relatives to each other :stare:

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
I feel like the proper solution to the getting stuck in mud problem probably doesn't lie in the moah powaaah but they've all decided gently caress it, let's go full Clarkson.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Yeah, you just hammer down till you've buried it to the axles 20 feet from where you started, then put it in reverse and do the same thing, back and fill while sawing the wheel until you are either broken 'cause your fab skills suck, or sank in mud.

I just don't see where the challenge is. Rock crawling, offroad racing, rally racing, etc there are skills you have to hone, meanwhile that shallow end of the gene pool doofy motherfucker is trundling around in a mudpuddle trying to bury his truck without actually being able to see what he's up against or caring. It's like NASCAR levels of boring but without the cool tech to spend years developing or hair trigger reaction time driving.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
On The Grand Tour, they send James to a winching tournament. That was actually interesting because they drive around, get stuck, winch out, and keep going. They aren't just driving into a mud pit shouting "YEEEHAAAAW" until their truck falls apart.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

kastein posted:

I will never understand mud bogging in big hackjob trucks with hackjob lifts a foot taller than they need to be.

It's big loud trucks going fast and blasting mud everywhere and at the start and end of the night they pull out the massive ones so loud you can hear them through the soles of your feet and you can watch them zip through the bog in 15s when every other truck took three or four times as long if they didn't get stuck.

Y'all reading too much into it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

kastein posted:

Yeah, you just hammer down till you've buried it to the axles 20 feet from where you started, then put it in reverse and do the same thing, back and fill while sawing the wheel until you are either broken 'cause your fab skills suck, or sank in mud.

I just don't see where the challenge is. Rock crawling, offroad racing, rally racing, etc there are skills you have to hone, meanwhile that shallow end of the gene pool doofy motherfucker is trundling around in a mudpuddle trying to bury his truck without actually being able to see what he's up against or caring. It's like NASCAR levels of boring but without the cool tech to spend years developing or hair trigger reaction time driving.

They're working with what they have available. Louisiana is pretty short on rocks and hills, but they do have a lot of mud!

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Just remember to clean in between the treads after you go muddin'.

Urinary tract infections are no joke.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Especially on a cat. 10 days of getting antibiotics down their throat with a syringe? Yes I do enjoy the agony of having my arms cut to ribbons so please let us perform this activity.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Cojawfee posted:

On The Grand Tour, they send James to a winching tournament. That was actually interesting because they drive around, get stuck, winch out, and keep going. They aren't just driving into a mud pit shouting "YEEEHAAAAW" until their truck falls apart.
Yeah, they're normally known as winch challenges, they're basically an offshoot of the trials scene. The scoring is like orienteering challenges: You have a punchcard attached to a set length of string inside the cabin, and each gate has a specific patterned punch on a bit of string attached to the pole/tree/farmer's wife at that location, all you have to do is get the truck close enough to reach one with the other. Like trials, it's a proper competition, not just loving about.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Just remember to clean in between the treads after you go muddin'.

Urinary tract infections are no joke.

xzzy posted:

Especially on a cat.
Please don't sodomise your cat.

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Feb 15, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

kastein posted:

I think it's less about any skill at the challenge, and more about loud trucks, mud flying everywhere, bikinis, and watching poo poo break.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

It's big loud trucks going fast and blasting mud everywhere and at the start and end of the night they pull out the massive ones so loud you can hear them through the soles of your feet and you can watch them zip through the bog in 15s when every other truck took three or four times as long if they didn't get stuck.

Y'all reading too much into it.

Yeah that.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

InitialDave posted:

Please don't sodomise your cat.

Protip.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

nm posted:

Protip.

Interesting, I'll have to research this.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

nm posted:

Protip.
No, not even the tip. WTF is wrong with you people?

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

kastein posted:

Yep, that's the big six bolt pattern from 2.5 ton rockwells not the little one from yota and half ton chevy/FSJ axles. He probably snapped the kingpins or knuckles, that happens when you abuse those axles too much.

As for ripping off the chassis... time to find a YouTube video :banjo:

E:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlS7OPkTkU

Description and video are both premium sister-fucker content. I will never understand mud bogging in big hackjob trucks with hackjob lifts a foot taller than they need to be.

OK, dumb question: in all this retarded 'mud bogging', those trucks are so high up that I don't see how the motive power gets from the engine to the axles / wheels. Someone clue me in? I don't see (or maybe don't recognize) the usual drivetrain in the video.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

OK, dumb question: in all this retarded 'mud bogging', those trucks are so high up that I don't see how the motive power gets from the engine to the axles / wheels. Someone clue me in? I don't see (or maybe don't recognize) the usual drivetrain in the video.

You can see a U‐joint flapping around starting at 5:43. Follow that.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
They just need a hero like Jayne.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

InitialDave posted:

No, not even the tip. WTF is wrong with you people?
:confused: How else am I supposed to find out what it feels like?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

nmfree posted:

:confused: How else am I supposed to find out what it feels like?

:catstare:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Horrible Mechanical Failures: Please Don't Sodomize Your Cat

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Horrible Mechanical Failures: Please Don't Sodomize Your Cat

How else would I get a stock looking test pipe?

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011
Horrible manufacture failure?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe they thought they were doing Fuel/Air ratio.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

the spyder posted:

Horrible manufacture failure?

Haha what is that from?

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cojawfee posted:

Maybe they thought they were doing Fuel/Air ratio.

I dunno how well an engine runs with a 14.7:1 fuel/air ratio :p

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Pomp and Circumcized posted:

I was going to say maybe a dragster, but I guess they only run around 1:1.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.

Cojawfee posted:

I was going to say maybe a dragster, but I guess they only run around 1:1.

Maybe a rotary? :downsrim:

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Rotaries run on a highly technical F:A:AS ratio.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

Memento posted:

Rotaries run on a highly technical
code:

F:A:AS
------
Coolant

Equation

FatCow
Apr 22, 2002
I MAP THE FUCK OUT OF PEOPLE

Briefly.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Memento posted:

Rotaries run on a highly technical F:A:AS ratio.

Rotaries are actually a multifuel engine: they run on hubris and money.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
And oil.

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
((boost+seals)^money) / time?

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No, no.

((Money * Seals) ^ boost) / time

boost = ((money + rockauto) * BAC) * internet connection speed

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Feb 17, 2017

honda whisperer
Mar 29, 2009

Fuel:air air:seal?

It's not a flaw it's a feature. They automatically lower compression under high boost.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Good thing small planes tend to glide pretty well I guess.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Collateral Damage posted:

Good thing small planes tend to glide pretty well I guess.

That appears to be a twin, so still one good engine. Bet it was still interesting in the Chinese proverb meaning.
Despite the peril, it would have to be hilarious to see the piston and or rod just firing right out of the cowling. "Fly, be free!"

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

Darchangel posted:

That appears to be a twin, so still one good engine. Bet it was still interesting in the Chinese proverb meaning.
Despite the peril, it would have to be hilarious to see the piston and or rod just firing right out of the cowling. "Fly, be free!"

TONIGHTS HEADLINE
Family killed by falling piston and rod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

TONIGHTS HEADLINE
Family killed by falling piston and rod.
If you look online, you'll easily find pictures of when a diesel locomotive literally threw a piston through someone's house.