Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I just discovered you can option select feints/parries, making it even safer.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Oh poo poo really? That's pretty drat fancy

How do you do it in For Honor? Don't you end up throwing a heavy if you parry wrong or whatever?

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Why are you making GBS threads up this thread when you don't even have the game (you're refunding it). Just do everyone a favour and refund it and stop trying to push your own agenda, winning internet fights aren't everything. Also, as an Orochi player, that bot really didn't do us justice, so standing there devoting 100% of your brain power to just blocking is pretty lame. He has no unblockable attacks (you weren't attacking to give him the chance) so it's poo poo-tier propaganda that makes you seem better than you are.

I could put my mentally defunct toddler cousin in my seat and have him just block Orochi bot attacks. I could train a pigeon to peck the joystick the correct direction to block those attacks. Especially when you're playing as a class that has permanent guard up. It was easy game, man. I dunno why you're flaunting it as if you're god's gift to earth and have cat-like reflexes when it was really not that big a deal.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Donnerberg posted:

Yes, the pounce attack is a guarantied hit after a sweep. And pounce works as the starter for a combo so you can keep going.

top heavy also guaranteed after sweep for a bit more damage.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
gently caress yall's, there's an announcement:

https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5uihyo/upcoming_gameplay_improvements/

quote:

We are excited to see that our game is finally out there and that players are enjoying their time on the battlefield. Our team is also actively listening to the community and we would like to update you on a list of improvements that will be deployed in upcoming updates:  

Bots Replacing Players in Duel / Brawl / Elimination Game Modes:

In response to player feedback from Beta, we will address your concerns regarding Bots with full health replacing leaving players. We will now replace the leaving player with a dead Bot in Duel, Brawl, and Elimination game modes. This will effectively make you win the current round if it was the only opponent left alive. For the rounds that follow, the Bot will stay in place of the player.

Conqueror and Berserker:

Currently if your opponent blocks a light attack from these two characters, they can combo into a free Guard Break. This will no longer happen. <--edited to clarify!

Peacekeeper:

We will address the bug where the second and third stabs from a guardbreak do not apply bleed.

Valkyrie:

Light Attacks: reduced recovery time
Light Chains: reduced time between attacks
Pouncing Thrust & Hunter’s Strike: Increased damage and link options after those moves
Shield Crush: add link to Light Attack chains
Hunter’s Rush: reduced recovery time

Guardbreak Counter (All Heroes):

Currently you can’t counter a guardbreak during a guardbreak attempt. This will be return to the previous behavior seen in the Beta.

&nbsp;

Stay tuned for more information regarding future gameplay updates.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

What an "option select"?

Edit: VALKYRIE BUFFS YEEEEEEAH!

Soft Shell Crab
Apr 12, 2006

Loopoo posted:

Why are you making GBS threads up this thread when you don't even have the game (you're refunding it). Just do everyone a favour and refund it and stop trying to push your own agenda, winning internet fights aren't everything. Also, as an Orochi player, that bot really didn't do us justice, so standing there devoting 100% of your brain power to just blocking is pretty lame. He has no unblockable attacks (you weren't attacking to give him the chance) so it's poo poo-tier propaganda that makes you seem better than you are.

I could put my mentally defunct toddler cousin in my seat and have him just block Orochi bot attacks. I could train a pigeon to peck the joystick the correct direction to block those attacks. Especially when you're playing as a class that has permanent guard up. It was easy game, man. I dunno why you're flaunting it as if you're god's gift to earth and have cat-like reflexes when it was really not that big a deal.

He edited his latest post to not to continue this discussion. Maybe just let it go.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

I'm not sure why they're making guardbreaks easier again :psypop:, all you have to do is spam the drat break key as soon as you see it going out.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Big buffs to valk

Exmond posted:

What an "option select"?

Option select is when you can do something and if it isn't necessary its safe.

So like, you parry, but if you didn't need to parry you end up doing nothing instead of throwing out a missed parry that can be punished. Its a fighting game term.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Evil Canadian posted:

top heavy also guaranteed after sweep for a bit more damage.

Awesome, that'll help a lot! I've only been getting a heavy off after a guardbreak.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Det_no posted:

gently caress yall's, there's an announcement:

Valkyrie:

Light Attacks: reduced recovery time
Light Chains: reduced time between attacks
Pouncing Thrust & Hunter’s Strike: Increased damage and link options after those moves
Shield Crush: add link to Light Attack chains
Hunter’s Rush: reduced recovery time

Well thank christ, that fixes a lot of issues I have with the class. Still stam heavy and still low damage, but faster moves and the fact you can plink with a light after a shield crush(as long as 1 light is guaranted...) goes a long way.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

panda clue posted:

I'm not sure why they're making guardbreaks easier again :psypop:, all you have to do is spam the drat break key as soon as you see it going out.

That's not what they're doing. They're not adjusting the window or letting you spam it. They're making it so if you throw guard break and somebody lands a guard break on you first, you can still get a chance to counter it.

Its purely for a situation where both players throw guardbreaks simultaneously.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Donnerberg posted:

Awesome, that'll help a lot! I've only been getting a heavy off after a guardbreak.

If you sweep em in the corner or near a wall also keep in mind that you can then cancel that top heavy into a shield crush and go for another sweep and get another hit, although unless you were basically at full stam you will be stam broken at that point.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Exmond posted:

What an "option select"?

Option select is effectively in any given situational multiple things can happen, and the best one always comes out. Its mostly a fighting game term but guess what for honor is a fighting game in disguise, welcome to the fgc you fucks!

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003
Kind of surprised there's no Lawbringer buffs considering how much people complained about that. I guess Valk must be in dire need of love first.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
Option select is when you input 2 different commands at the same time and depending on what the enemy does, it'll do one or the other.

I'm concerned that there wasn't even a mention of Lawbringer :ohdear:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If you aren't blasting power metal while you play this game I don't know what you're doing with your life :black101:

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not what they're doing. They're not adjusting the window or letting you spam it. They're making it so if you throw guard break and somebody lands a guard break on you first, you can still get a chance to counter it.

Its purely for a situation where both players throw guardbreaks simultaneously.

There was also this weird issue where faster heroes could land an uncounterable guardbreak on slower heroes, even if they hit the guardbreak button second.

Ex: Lawbringer presses guardbreak. A split second later (almost simultaneously) Orachi presses guardbreak. Orachi's guardbreak touches Lawbringer first so his guardbreak is the one that "counts", even though he pressed the button second. Lawbringer doesn't get a counter guardbreak window.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Evil Canadian posted:

Option select is effectively in any given situational multiple things can happen, and the best one always comes out. Its mostly a fighting game term but guess what for honor is a fighting game in disguise, welcome to the fgc you fucks!

So if you try and parry and press E, you will either parry or feint? Nice!

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Exmond posted:

Sort of, it's not a true option select in the sense that you don't parry at the exact same time. If you hit heavy attack and cancel as quickly as possible you will actually eat the attack. But as long as you leave the slightest pause after your parry attempt then you're still well within the feint window. So basically always attempt the feint ever so slightly after your parry attempt, that way any time your opponent feints you will as well and you will essentially be back to square one.

I'll have to test this with more characters, but it works for Warden and Valk at the very least based on my testing.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Exmond posted:

Yep if you attempt the parry then feint, if they feinted you will instead feint your attempted parry and not throw out your attack. Its not all gold and sunshine however as not all attacks connect at the same time/have the same animation length and you can absolutely miss a window start your heavy attack for parry feint it, then get smacked. For example a friend of mine in the beta was really big on going for it and got bopped pretty bad by the raiders heavy feint into axe pommel move.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

gently caress yea those valk changes sound awesome, now I feel better about all the time I've been dumping into her and ignoring other classes (still not nearly as much as other people, only level 14)

Also for PvE scrublords like me, theres a 100% observeables guide (video) out now, it's not perfect but if you got nothing better to do enjoy: https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5ud3bl/100_observables/

Reward (besides the achievement) is a new emblem customization piece for each level completed, so like 18 in total.

Indecisive fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Feb 17, 2017

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Evil Canadian posted:

Yep if you attempt the parry then feint, if they feinted you will instead feint your attempted parry and not throw out your attack. Its not all gold and sunshine however as not all attacks connect at the same time/have the same animation length and you can absolutely miss a window start your heavy attack for parry feint it, then get smacked. For example a friend of mine in the beta was really big on going for it and got bopped pretty bad by the raiders heavy feint into axe pommel move.

Here's an example of parry/feint game taken to it's logical conclusion.

Trillhouse posted:

(What's happening here is Player 2 throws out a top heavy and in response Player 1 throws a top heavy to parry but P2 then feints his top heavy and so in response P1 feints his but P2 didn't catch P1's feint quick enough and instead attempted to do the Crushing counter and instead P2 gets caught in P1s Crushing Counter.)

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Trillhouse posted:

I suddenly feel really bad at the game after watching that gif

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I was playing the Warlord and having a hell of a time trying to counter guard break.

Also hooray some pretty cool Valk buffs. Gonna dump some more time in her.

I also think they should make buffs in Elimination spawn in 30-1 minute later. I don't mind the double teaming that happens in that game mode, but someone spawning closer to a buff and running to it is really dumb.

Obstacle2
Dec 21, 2004
feels good man
This game has a significant learning curve that I think puts a lot of people off. It put me off, glad I stuck with it though. It can't be stressed that this is far more like Soul Caliber than Mount and Blade, which I feel like a lot of people I know going in thinking its going to be like.

Also, what are events and when can we expect to see them?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
When are these changes going in? That's the one thing I didn't see in the post.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Obstacle2 posted:

This game has a significant learning curve that I think puts a lot of people off. It put me off, glad I stuck with it though. It can't be stressed that this is far more like Soul Caliber than Mount and Blade, which I feel like a lot of people I know going in thinking its going to be like.

Probably ranked modes or tournaments or something like that, i'd expect them in the coming months

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Did we ever settle the Valk's Shield Charge -> Cancel into Guard Break? I think I see what a few people meant about a slightly different animation although the result seems to be the same as just letting the shield charge go off.

Two Feet From Bread
Apr 20, 2009

I'm. A. Fucking. Nazi.

please punch me in the face
i love it
give it to me daddy
College Slice
Playing on the PS4. Ubi name is Kwosge

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Trillhouse posted:

Honestly I think that's cool as gently caress. You watch like a Kurosawa film and you get stuff just like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Obstacle2 posted:

Wandle Cax posted:

Probably ranked modes or tournaments or something like that, i'd expect them in the coming months

Nah, events are just daily contracts that are global progress. There was on the first night the game was released. It asked EVERYBODY to participate in a single game mode, and when EVERYBODY earned enough points, everybody got rewards, regardless of how much you participated (or if at all). The rewards were substantial; 2 free premium packs plus some steel and experience. By the time I had logged in it was already completed and I got rewards anyways.

I'd expect them every week or two. Something on the weekend to draw in lots of players, but not like every day because they want you to buy steel rather than just get constantly free poo poo. (But you really do get plenty of free steel)

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I've seen a lot of strange deaths in this game but this is a new one.

Smacked a guy into a fence and his body crumpled around it like some sort of cartoon character.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I understand he's playing with a controller but how did he get his guard indicators so large? Mine are slightly smaller although I guess it doesn't make too much of a difference.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Glukeose posted:

The worst the PS4 has is emote spam. The quick chat menu, amazingly, only has phrases with positive connotations like "Good fight!" "Wow!" Or "Thanks!" For the most part I've only encountered people who will humor a mid-battle gesture and respond with "good fight" when appropriate.

I only wish I could loving manage to time my guardbreak cancels correctly, then I'd have a 10/10 time with this game.

I cannot time basically anything in this god drat game right but holy poo poo everything is worth it when you get matched up with the cockiest orochi on your first duel:
http://i.imgur.com/YNY4qNu.gifv

And then you tie it up 2-2 and he quick chats the most honorabu taunt of all time

so you shove him off a bridge
http://i.imgur.com/SGC1zdC.gifv

this game is so expressive :3:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I really wanna know why they designed so many 1v1 maps to be enviornemental death traps.

I'm fine with environmental deaths when you have to work for them but there are so many maps where whoever gets the first guardbreak wins because there's zero space to move and death pits everywhere.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Loopoo posted:

C-c-c-check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzRq-3oYADQ

This fight looks really tame, but this is a rematch from a previous match where our fights were neck and neck (it was a Conqueror + Lawmaker, the Lawmaker was piss easy to fight, he never teched guard breaks) but ultimately the Conqueror beat my rear end in. He was insanely good at changing attack directions, which kept making me eat flail for the first few rounds as my pride kept making me try to parry them even though as Conqueror you can change attack direction mid-swing with your heavy attack.

So yeah, it got to the point where I was nailing him each round. Felt good. Once I dropped the "must parry everything" mentality, he was quite easy to beat, but still a very tough opponent. This clip doesn't do him justice. Will upload a better (with synced audio) clip tomorrow to show him at his best when he's beating my rear end in.

PS: Please applaud me on my Riptide Strike timings, they're really loving hard to pull off right as Orochi. Most of the time you end up eating the edge of your opponent's sword. So I'm really proud I managed to pull two perfectly timed ones off.

Orochi is easy versus Conqueror. Not impressed.

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Internet Kraken posted:

I really wanna know why they designed so many 1v1 maps to be enviornemental death traps.

I'm fine with environmental deaths when you have to work for them but there are so many maps where whoever gets the first guardbreak wins because there's zero space to move and death pits everywhere.

I feel the same way. Some matches, 2/3 of the rounds are death pit levels. I wish there were less of those and a few more "constrained' levels with tight walls that make it harder to dodge around.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The Japanese map with the tower is the worst offender.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

Agreed, like, the gysers being instant-kill seems a bit much.

And there's some duel spots that spawn you on a bridge and you can't run away to another part of the map.

Give me a nice square dojo please!

I don't mind a pit or some spikes at the edge but there should be some room to maneuver. Its a little bit too easy to kill somebody at full health just by baiting a knockoff.