Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

spincube posted:

Something I found out today: Google's own Clock app can reliably and reproducibly crash the system UI. 6P.

Start a countdown timer, or stopwatch, then hit Home. It'll leave a notification in the shade to let you know it's still going. If you long-press the notification (where you'd ordinarily find the notification options for that app), it'll point out that its 'Notifications cannot be silenced or blocked'. Hitting 'Done' pops up the 'System UI has crashed' error, reloads the UI, and kicks you back to the lockscreen.

Does it on my 6P too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Clearly this is Google trying to tell you to upgrade to a Pixel

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

ilkhan posted:

You know the answer you'll receive is 20 posts of "get the Pixel", right?

I mean yes, but curious if anybody has had similar problems with the S7 as "just get the Pixel" is another $649 before anything else.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Crashed my pixel xl too

Well, crashes the system UI which starts back up in about 3 seconds

nimper
Jun 19, 2003

livin' in a hopium den

XIII posted:

The Duggler posted:

Crashed my pixel xl too

Well, crashes the system UI which starts back up in about 3 seconds

Checkmate :smugdroid:

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

So, are any of you hitting submit feedback when that crashes?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Considering how obscure an issue it is, is it something that they could have just missed in the last update of the clock app?

Also, is there an app that can do what the dev for Pure Nexus did to get one handed mode?

You swipe left or right on the bottom button bar to shrink the screen for use with one hand via thumb.
Works really well on the big screen of the 6P and I figure the PixelXL would be great for it as well.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I can't reproduce that clock bug on my Samsung Galaxy S7. Y'all have been Googled. Never settle for Pixel.

Any thoughts on this network error that's plaguing me on my Samsung Galaxy S7?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

XIII posted:

I thought that was the 'shuts off at 15% battery' thing

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

dissss posted:

I thought that was the 'shuts off at 15% 60% battery' thing

Fixed. At least in my experience

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

spincube posted:

Something I found out today: Google's own Clock app can reliably and reproducibly crash the system UI. 6P.

Start a countdown timer, or stopwatch, then hit Home. It'll leave a notification in the shade to let you know it's still going. If you long-press the notification (where you'd ordinarily find the notification options for that app), it'll point out that its 'Notifications cannot be silenced or blocked'. Hitting 'Done' pops up the 'System UI has crashed' error, reloads the UI, and kicks you back to the lockscreen.

Yup, happens on my Pixel XL.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
I've got a moto x 2013 (bought end 2014, so I've only had it 2.5 years), and was looking at the moto g5 plus, and comparing the processors in both (when I thought it was the qualcomm 817, but apparnetly it's the 825, which nobody knows anything about?). It looks like yeah, it is an improvement, but the 817 at least is not anything special. I was looking at the qualcomm 835 though and that looks like it would be a massive improvement. So I suppose I'm waiting for the pixel 2.

I want to get the same phone for my wife and I so that we can have the same problems/fixes. Also gently caress rooting phones, I don't want to do it any more. It took my pokemon go away from me. Also, my phone can't use the new Fire Emblem app for some reason. Those aren't really big enough reasons to upgrade. I don't watch movies on my phone, and normally sit at a computer. It's good for waze, phone calls, messaging while in work meetings, and facebook. I suppose for now I'll just wait and see what's announced.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

bull3964 posted:

So, are any of you hitting submit feedback when that crashes?

And give Google all my sensitive information? Yeah right

*Logs into Gmail*

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

I had to crash it a few times before the feedback screen would come up but eventually I got it sent off.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

redreader posted:

I've got a moto x 2013 (bought end 2014, so I've only had it 2.5 years), and was looking at the moto g5 plus, and comparing the processors in both (when I thought it was the qualcomm 817, but apparnetly it's the 825, which nobody knows anything about?). It looks like yeah, it is an improvement, but the 817 at least is not anything special. I was looking at the qualcomm 835 though and that looks like it would be a massive improvement. So I suppose I'm waiting for the pixel 2.

I want to get the same phone for my wife and I so that we can have the same problems/fixes. Also gently caress rooting phones, I don't want to do it any more. It took my pokemon go away from me. Also, my phone can't use the new Fire Emblem app for some reason. Those aren't really big enough reasons to upgrade. I don't watch movies on my phone, and normally sit at a computer. It's good for waze, phone calls, messaging while in work meetings, and facebook. I suppose for now I'll just wait and see what's announced.

Ok sounds good

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Sprint ran an hour and a half diagnostic on my Galaxy S7 and it even got to over 100 degrees and their conclusion was "Well that's normal." So I'm selling the fucker and just ordered a Pixel. It'll be here in March. Phones shouldn't be triple digits by just being on.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Tim Whatley posted:

Sprint ran an hour and a half diagnostic on my Galaxy S7 and it even got to over 100 degrees and their conclusion was "Well that's normal." So I'm selling the fucker and just ordered a Pixel. It'll be here in March. Phones shouldn't be triple digits by just being on.
Welcome to the good side of Android.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
My regular-sized Pixel is subject to the clock-caused System UI crash as well.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

My s6 used to get too hot to hold, Samsung just has issues with that device temperature I guess.

Welcome to the pixel life

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.

DaveSauce posted:

Also, what's the best backup option for texts/contacts/etc?

SB35 posted:

You should really factory reset it before you do lose data. Check contacts.Google.Com, as long as you're signed into your Google account all your contacts should be saved there. In the Google photos app you should also setup automatic photo backup to Google drive. As far as SMS, I don't bother with backups I know a couple options exist. Someone will post about it.

Anyone have any suggestions?

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.

DaveSauce posted:

SMS backup and restore for just dumping your SMS's into a file, then using that file to move them back to a new device. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore&hl=en

Once you're set up on a new phone though SMS backup+ is great for backing up your SMS messages as they come right to your gmail account. https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.zegoggles.smssync&hl=en

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Carbonite's SMS and call log backup has been pretty solid the couple times I've used it.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DaveSauce posted:

As SB35 said, go to contacts.google.com and verify your contacts are there. If so, there's nothing you need to do on that front. If they aren't, you need to sync your contacts to Google.

As THF13 and bull said, SMS Backup & Restore (now owned by Carbonite) is great for transferring SMS to a new device, but THF13 is right about SMS Backup+, it's a far better long term solution.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I dunno, I'm finding SMS Backup+ to be pretty sloppy now. It starts to have issues with threading and it doesn't handle MMS very well (can't restore.)

It is batshit insane that we have to have this conservation at all rather than just having our messages backed up and in a pretty searchable interface online that can be restored. But. Google.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

bull3964 posted:

I dunno, I'm finding SMS Backup+ to be pretty sloppy now. It starts to have issues with threading and it doesn't handle MMS very well (can't restore.)

I think the point is that once they're in GMail there's no point in restoring. Just keep the last 25 or so messages in a thread for context and truncate as you go.

bull3964 posted:

It is batshit insane that we have to have this conservation at all rather than just having our messages backed up and in a pretty searchable interface online that can be restored. But. Google.

You can't even search Hangouts unless you do it in GMail (unsearchable in Inbox and on hangouts.google.com). At least SMS Backup+ solves that problem elegantly, though I've never seen the threading issues to which you refer and I never receive MMSs so that might be part of it .

I know everyone sees IM/SMS as ephemeral nowadays but I'd say 95%+ of my searches in GMail are for chatlogs to surface information I needed from a chat. It's so convenient to just be able to tell someone something knowing I'll be able to find it later and I'd consider it a huge loss of utility if whatever chat platform I was on didn't have searchable logs (like, say, Allo).

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

LastInLine posted:

I know everyone sees IM/SMS as ephemeral nowadays but I'd say 95%+ of my searches in GMail are for chatlogs to surface information I needed from a chat. It's so convenient to just be able to tell someone something knowing I'll be able to find it later and I'd consider it a huge loss of utility if whatever chat platform I was on didn't have searchable logs (like, say, Allo).

Counterpoint, I realized that I had meticulously backed up every text and WhatsApp chat for years and almost never used them. So, I deleted all of them. I'd rather have definite ephemerality. I still have chat logs on my phone, but no longer in Gmail or backed up on Google drive. If I lose my phone THEN SO BE IT.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

LastInLine posted:

though I've never seen the threading issues to which you refer and I never receive MMSs so that might be part of it .

MMS is the issue.

My part of any MMS conversation, whether it be group MMS or me sending a picture or something gets its own thread.

So, any normal text I send, it shows up in gmail properly as from me threaded with the other side of the conversation.

For normal SMS, the email gets delivered to gmail as from my email address to the other side of the conversations (email address if they are in my contacts, phonenumber@unkown.email otherwise).

However, any MMS message I send gets delivered to gmail as FROM myphonenumber@unknown.email to my email address. So, the other side of the conversation isn't included at all.

So, I have a long thread of just my MMS responses that are mixed across multiple conversations.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm sorry, but if you care about having your SMS/MMS backed up you're a crazy person.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Oh, hey, it's the time of year when HTC claims they are only going to make a handful of phones. I think it was only like 3 weeks ago when they said they would immediately release another flagship when the snapdragon 835 was available in quantity.

http://www.androidcentral.com/htc-leaving-ultra-competetive-entry-level-smartphone-market-focus-churning-profit

quote:

Chang responded in part by saying "We are going to get out of the entry level part, which I think is ultra competitive and we're not necessarily going to benefit from a profitability perspective here. To us, profitability on the smartphone is going to be quite important."

Chang continued by saying the company plans to focus on mid-range to high-end products moving forward, stating the company is planning to release only seven "key SKU" (stock-keeping units) in 2017.

Sorry HTC. The crowded and most dubious value segment is that "mid-range" you want to retreat into. And if 7 SKUs is cutting back, you have problems. It should be 3 MAYBE 4 SKUs max.

Take a page from Moto's book and release an analog to the G line. Then design your high end phone. Then release a version of it with a 1080p screen and a SD6xx processor and you have your midrange with little R&D needed so you can keep the price under $400 to make it more attractive.

Dumping the low end is a bad move from a branding perspective. If people have a good experience with a $200 simple, solid, HTC entry level phone, people will me more likely to move up the chain later.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

FunOne posted:

Counterpoint, I realized that I had meticulously backed up every text and WhatsApp chat for years and almost never used them. So, I deleted all of them. I'd rather have definite ephemerality. I still have chat logs on my phone, but no longer in Gmail or backed up on Google drive. If I lose my phone THEN SO BE IT.

That makes sense if you aren't using them. I do, often, so obviously I have reason to want to retain them. That being said, I don't know that I've ever looked at SMSs but it's so trivial to retain them that I feel like I should.

bull3964 posted:

MMS is the issue.

Yeah I just can't bring myself to care about MMS. I'm not certain I've ever received one.

bull3964 posted:

Oh, hey, it's the time of year when HTC claims they are only going to make a handful of phones.

HTC is hapless. It's difficult to imagine anyone taking a look at how they do things and decide to buy one.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Tim Whatley posted:

Remember how there was briefly a huuuuge market for Wii controller sleeves that looked like things? - tennis rackets and such? That, only with cooking implements instead of fishing rods; VR'll be toast with the new Toastr!...

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

spincube posted:

Remember how there was briefly a huuuuge market for Wii controller sleeves that looked like things? - tennis rackets and such? That, only with cooking implements instead of fishing rods; VR'll be toast with the new Toastr!...

Drop your waterproof Galaxy S7 into a pot of water to make a pasta dinner for the family!

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

So, my order for a replacement Nexus 6P on google says it has been "Shipped", but the tracking number provided for Fed Ex only says Label Created. Calling Fed-Ex They said they have not recieved my package. When contacting google support they said "They are confident you will recieve your phone today" So, who do I beileve?

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Ha. Yeah, I'd believe FedEx.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

Every time I yank a jawbone from a skull and ram it into an eyesocket, I know I'm building a better future.

Internet Explorer posted:

Ha. Yeah, I'd believe FedEx.

Yeah I'm feeling that way too.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Fat_Cow posted:

So, my order for a replacement Nexus 6P on google says it has been "Shipped", but the tracking number provided for Fed Ex only says Label Created. Calling Fed-Ex They said they have not recieved my package. When contacting google support they said "They are confident you will recieve your phone today" So, who do I beileve?
If it still says "Label Created" and it's past 7 or 8am local time, you're not getting that package today. If it was sent FedEx Home Delivery, there's still a chance for tomorrow, but if it's Express or Ground, it'll be next week.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
My Pixel arrived yesterday and it is *amazing*. Holy man this is such a huge upgrade from my Nexus 5 I don't even know how to describe it.

Also...my >$1000 phone was left by UPS wedged between my house's door and our storm door. My wife's $80 Amazon order? Have to pick it up from Canada Post.

Fat_Cow
Dec 12, 2009

datajosh posted:

If it still says "Label Created" and it's past 7 or 8am local time, you're not getting that package today. If it was sent FedEx Home Delivery, there's still a chance for tomorrow, but if it's Express or Ground, it'll be next week.

Dang it's been "Label Created" since Tuesday. So I just assumed it was an error :negative:

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Fat_Cow posted:

Dang it's been "Label Created" since Tuesday. So I just assumed it was an error :negative:

Since Tuesday? I doubt you're getting that phone at all. Either they missed the pickup scan and every subsequent checkpoint scan for three days running or it's still in the warehouse. FYI, Google says it's "Shipped" once they create the label, to them that's where they're done with it and FedEx starts with it. When I had Pixels shipped, both took their time in the Label Created state before actually departing the warehouse but I wouldn't expect that with a replacement.

Either way you aren't getting that phone today and if you don't see checkpoints by Monday you'll have to have Google file a claim and send you another one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Vasler posted:

My Pixel arrived yesterday and it is *amazing*. Holy man this is such a huge upgrade from my Nexus 5 I don't even know how to describe it.

Welcome to the club, we seriously were not lying about how good it is.