Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://github.com/glmcdona/Process-Dump

anybody know of anything like that that works in-process instead of relying on debug apis

i wrote a rudimentary in-process version of this thing a while back but i was wondering if there's an existing solution

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Sapozhnik posted:

anybody know of anything like that that works in-process instead of relying on debug apis

i wrote a rudimentary in-process version of this thing a while back but i was wondering if there's an existing solution

sort of reminds me of ollydbg's method but you can just dump processes from the task manager

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
actually a friend linked me to this

https://github.com/volatilityfoundation/volatility

looks like just what i need

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Sapozhnik posted:

breakpad can dump from within the process I believe. depends on how much you trust your environment.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Sapozhnik posted:

actually a friend linked me to this

https://github.com/volatilityfoundation/volatility

looks like just what i need

are you sure?

quote:

Volatility does not provide memory sample acquisition capabilities. For acquisition, there are both free and commercial solutions available.

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007
All the discussion in media of file-less malware has got me interested in how this is actually accomplished. Does anyone have any links to decent write ups for how you can actually inject malicious code into memory without touching the filesystem at all? I'm not sure what the techniques for this are.

e: i found this: https://securelist.com/blog/research/77403/fileless-attacks-against-enterprise-networks/ which is a decent primer, so far.

Winkle-Daddy fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Feb 16, 2017

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
if you're doing any sort of dfir work at your org, having software that can allow you to remotely dump memory, pull artifacts and whole disk images, and a ledger of activity over N days is super useful

Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

Winkle-Daddy posted:

All the discussion in media of file-less malware has got me interested in how this is actually accomplished. Does anyone have any links to decent write ups for how you can actually inject malicious code into memory without touching the filesystem at all? I'm not sure what the techniques for this are.

e: i found this: https://securelist.com/blog/research/77403/fileless-attacks-against-enterprise-networks/ which is a decent primer, so far.

pretty much all modern malware which is spread via drive-by infects clients entirely in memory before ever touching the file system, usually through arbitrary code execution using buffer overflow exploits and then chained with a privilege escalation exploit to run as system. after that they'll usually touch the file system in some way to root the machine thus ensuring that they remain resident.

however after i wrote the above i saw the link you posted which clarifies "file-less" malware as simply malware which covers its tracks when interacting with the file system. so yeah, same stuff applies i guess?

edit: ive been making a lot of dumb posts recently so someone please call me out if im an idiot

Pile Of Garbage fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Feb 16, 2017

Winkle-Daddy
Mar 10, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

pretty much all modern malware which is spread via drive-by infects clients entirely in memory before ever touching the file system, usually through arbitrary code execution using buffer overflow exploits and then chained with a privilege escalation exploit to run as system. after that they'll usually touch the file system in some way to root the machine thus ensuring that they remain resident.

however after i wrote the above i saw the link you posted which clarifies "file-less" malware as simply malware which covers its tracks when interacting with the file system. so yeah, same stuff applies i guess?

edit: ive been making a lot of dumb posts recently so someone please call me out if im an idiot

yeah, I heard a bunch of news articles talking about this new fileless malware and was trying to understand if this was some "new" technique. seems like a whole lotta nothin' new.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

hackbunny posted:

are you sure?

yeah i'm running the target process under qemu, using the emulator to set an undetectable breakpoint, then dumping a system memory image when it gets hit.

unfortunately idk how to do import and relocation reconstruction and all that fun crap so i can either shovel through russian warez forums or i could just sit down and rewrite the old and lovely tool i did for this. can throw the results up on github if there is any interest in it.

once that's done i can use qemu to make a spontaneous LoadLibrary function call from the start of the target code. from there the imploder dll can do the rest.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Lutha Mahtin posted:

nah but shaggz is talking about ones that don't chain to an authority. so the browser would then need zillions of certs for it to be useful, right?

think of it like whitelisting javascript in something like noscript but instead of whitelisting a url you're whitelisting specific signers or files. The whitelists would be maintained by your organization to prevent unknown code from running. This might not be useful to most users but for companies looking to protect their users/data it would be.

My original point was that there is no option to do this with javascript because javascript is bad and its proponents are/were bad.

also lol @ using a browser that has its own internal trust list instead of the system trust list.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah i'm running the target process under qemu, using the emulator to set an undetectable breakpoint, then dumping a system memory image when it gets hit.

unfortunately idk how to do import and relocation reconstruction and all that fun crap so i can either shovel through russian warez forums or i could just sit down and rewrite the old and lovely tool i did for this. can throw the results up on github if there is any interest in it.

once that's done i can use qemu to make a spontaneous LoadLibrary function call from the start of the target code. from there the imploder dll can do the rest.

okay, your original post sounded like you needed to get the memory capture itself not parse one you got through qemu

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shaggar posted:

also lol @ using a browser that has its own internal trust list instead of the system trust list.

IE doesn't have a way for users to add roots to their keychains?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Subjunctive posted:

windows update does that

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Sapozhnik posted:

sounds like volatility is your best bet. you can use malfind to find injected code and dump the binaries to disk (maybe even an intact PE if the headers aren't hosed) or use procdump to dump a PID to disk, depending on what you're analyzing. impscan will give you a list of imports. it's a pretty flexible framework though I'm still getting used to it myself.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

cheese-cube posted:

ok, you're an idiot! :)

modern "file-less" malware drive-by infects the machine and then never writes anything to disk at all, it relies on long uptimes and multiple machines on the network being infected to re-infect individual machines after they're rebooted and the malware instance is lost

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
when kaspersky got owned, they couldn't fix it until all of their machines were turned off

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

A good example to look into is dridex.

Interesting note: Dridex has a very low footprint in countries like for example Pakistan, because frequent power outages means it can't stay active and it doesn't persist so it needs to be reinfected

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

power companies should start making inroads in infosec by triggering random power outages and charging customers for it

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
power spike protection plan

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
local secfuck: went to a local rogers reseller today to swap my cable modem, all their demo androids are signed in using the store's gmail account. google drive shows all the store's files, presumably backed up to the cloud, including store security, accounting, employee, and customer information.

somehow no one seems to have noticed this.

gg guys.

i poop fire
Feb 21, 2011

Pendragon posted:

my wife's hr department got phished and sent the entire company's W2s to someone.

lol same

Theris
Oct 9, 2007

It's incredibly common this year. I know of a double digit number of small business it's happened to in my area.

Daman
Oct 28, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

modern "file-less" malware drive-by infects the machine and then never writes anything to disk at all, it relies on long uptimes and multiple machines on the network being infected to re-infect individual machines after they're rebooted and the malware instance is lost

uhhhh there's also families being called fileless because they persist entirely in registry keys, using powershell. this is what the recent wave of news spam using the term has been about...

scottch
Oct 18, 2003
"It appears my wee-wee's been stricken with rigor mortis."

Daman posted:

uhhhh there's also families being called fileless because they persist entirely in registry keys, using powershell. this is what the recent wave of news spam using the term has been about...

yep. even kovter/poweliks had a similar method of writing shellcode to registry for persistence. it dropped a loader or smth along the way so not 100% fileless tho

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

infernal machines posted:

local secfuck: went to a local rogers reseller today to swap my cable modem, all their demo androids are signed in using the store's gmail account. google drive shows all the store's files, presumably backed up to the cloud, including store security, accounting, employee, and customer information.

somehow no one seems to have noticed this.

gg guys.

good morning privacy commissioner, no i'd rather not hold thanks

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Subjunctive posted:

IE has one but it just pops the windows trust store. Edge does not, but it also uses the windows trust store. failfox I think is smart enough to use the windows trust store for some things, but idk about chome.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

anthonypants posted:

windows update does that

also AD which is why anything on windows should use the windows trust store.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

pseudorandom name posted:

and this is why you configure the firewall at every endpoint and not just trust the zone to do the work

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
https://twitter.com/wendynather/status/832284839789228032

Cron PERLman
Jan 18, 2005

20 4 * * /bin/smokeweed
I smoke the weed at 4:20am

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

and this is why you configure the firewall at every endpoint and not just trust the zone to do the work

This. Deploying firewall rules at every endpoint as well as app whitelisting is two of the best things you can do in your organisation.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

Taco Defender
https://twitter.com/taviso/status/832744397800214528

:siren:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
lol https://twitter.com/taviso/status/832745012408381445

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano

reminder that nick sullivan told tavis that going after AV was a waste of his talents and that he should instead be looking at the security of critical internet infrastructure

https://twitter.com/grittygrease/status/832746036149882880

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Rufus Ping posted:

reminder that nick sullivan told tavis that going after AV was a waste of his talents and that he should instead be looking at the security of critical internet infrastructure

https://twitter.com/grittygrease/status/832746036149882880

:five:

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

the suspense is killing me :f5:

lord of the files
Sep 4, 2012

Well, this is certainly a securifuck.

lol cryptocurrencies.

https://zcoin.io/language/en/important-announcement-zerocoin-implementation-bug/

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

bad coin posted:

We estimate the attacker has created about 370,000 Zcoins which has been almost completely sold except for about 20,000+ Zcoin and absorbed on the market with a profit of around 410 BTC.

loving lomarf

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
backed hacked by math

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'