Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

'Sunk cost fallacy' can apply to virtually all human endeavors. For example, have you ever kept playing a game you hated or weren't having fun with because you were near the end or a major mile-stone?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Roflan posted:

have you ever kept playing a game you hated or weren't having fun with because you were near the end or a major mile-stone?

thanks to trophies and achievements, now i can do this with every game!

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Spatial posted:

The worm really has turned on the reddit, huh?
The reply:

Star Citizen: Too Big to Fail

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Thoatse posted:

goons visiting r/starcitizen today

I'm glad of it
Very subtle. Haha

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Spatial posted:

The reply:

just like the hindenberg and the titanic* before it

*not the goon

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Wiz posted:

Clearly, CIG are just doing new things that nobody has ever done before, like crunching for a whole year.

... I wish the first part of that statement was true.

I had a job move from 5 10 hours to 5 12s. Then 6 12s. Then optional 7 day straight work weeks.

When people complained at a company meeting about the possibility of mandatory 7 day weeks the lead managers response was "OH YEAH?!? Well at our (other state) facility they've been working like that for NINE MONTHS. You guys can't handle two months of 72 hour weeks?!? (employee name) has been working 84 hour weeks every week!"

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

:perfect:

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit
I only trust pre-alphas with a release number > 1.0

I trust star citizen.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

aleksendr posted:

Also take into account Japanese corporate culture in the equation. 60h week is nearly the norm for them and business owners are expected to be married with the business and spend nearly all avaiable time there. Japanese wife and girfriends dont bitch when you have to work late or have to come in on a saturday.
Yup. Japan does this so severely it's literally endangering their whole society. Birth rates fell off a cliff because nobody has time for a relationship. A frightening number of Japanese people are sexless workaholics with no plans or no hope for a family.

Japan is so bad right now, a common problem that crops up is when the husband retires and he's actually around the house for a change. Because the husband and wife now have to get to know each other after years of effectively being strangers. They find themselves wanting a divorce.

Added bonus: productivity isn't any higher than a normal environment, and a whole lot of people just sleep at their desk to fill time.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Crunch has already been over a full year at this point, with zero chance of it stopping.

Chris Roberts makes the crunchiest of Crunch, it's the best dam space game crunch ever (since it was a little girl)

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

This latest update from TheAgent is surely good news for star citizen and proof they are on the right track

I myself just sold my car and all worldly possessions so I could help fund the dream further

Once the game releases I will simply live IN the game world , my mortal body will no longer be required *

* there is at least one backer who believes this , and possibly one employee of CIG

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Spatial posted:

The reply:

What would kill the project is if a company with decades of industry experience and is among the most successful game companies in existence looked at the game and said it was loving impossible to do with current technology. But this startup that's spent 4 1/2 years just building up a company and 6 months making a game can do it!

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Sappo569 posted:

This latest update from TheAgent is surely good news for star citizen and proof they are on the right track

I myself just sold my car and all worldly possessions so I could help fund the dream further

Once the game releases I will simply live IN the game world , my mortal body will no longer be required *

* there is at least one backer who believes this , and possibly one employee of CIG

it really is good news if you are still a backer, since it will be an indeterminate amount of progress toward the dream that technically isn't zero.

buying ships when there is no indication of anything at all requires pure faith, but buying ships when something comes out is much much easier to justify to yourself.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Neurotic Corncob posted:

so basically a "planet module" is being made with no real connection to crusader, and CIG just plans to continue putting out incomplete modules while praying that the backers imagination will continue to fill in the gaps. :allears:

If you don't believe any of it; believe one thing: the part about the planet being #justanothermodule because I have written extensively about this in the past, even sparred with one of their devs Ben Parry over this very notion of it being a level, rather than a seamless transition like what they have shown in their tech demos.

Also, as to the AI company mentioned, that would be Behavior Interactive. I wrote about this specifically a few days ago.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Behavior Interactive - famous for making Fallout Shelter, Rango: The Game, and buggy mess/infinite salt generator Dead By Daylight. :thumbsup:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Dire times over in Citizen-land: you can now get upvotes for openly making GBS threads on AtV

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

stdh.txt or :shrek:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

:saddowns:

Real question: Will the planet be an actual planet or just a flat map?

It's going to be a flat map (aka level) due to the engine they're using. Basically, what I have in LoD :grin:

ps: Only my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games modeled a full spherical planet

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

D_Smart posted:

It's going to be a flat map (aka level) due to the engine they're using. Basically, what I have in LoD :grin:

ps: Only my Battlecruiser/Universal Combat games modeled a full spherical planet

Maybe you can set up a licence deal with Croberts

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me Me

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Beet Wagon posted:

Dire times over in Citizen-land: you can now get upvotes for openly making GBS threads on AtV

Yeah seriously. :stare: Many of the most upvoted comments in the "Where do you see..." thread wouldn't be out of place here.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Star Citizen: "Beyond Hopeful"

Also, it is starting to sound always sounded like working a CIG is like living in the STIMPIRE

You can work there and live the dream to commando! 07

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Countdown till sandi posts an office photo with some of the programming drones smiling at their desks

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm... uh... I'm the futuristic single person mining space ships with separate taps for hot and cold water in the lavatory?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm... uh... I'm the futuristic single person mining space ships WWII planes with separate taps for hot and cold water in the lavatory?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm... uh... I'm the futuristic single person mining space ships with separate taps for hot and cold water in the lavatory?

they even put the lights on opposing sides on each tap... guys just use one tap like my non-futuristic lovely office

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Beet Wagon posted:

Mixer taps use proscribed AI technology.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Space Crabs posted:

I can relate believing in a project and putting your heart and soul into it but this isn't

2013 or "Hey our promises are kinda big and outlandish but we are getting to work"
2014 or "Okay our release is this year, big game, scope expanded though so okay it's pushed"
2015 or "Alright we are a year late but we expanded the scope. THATS the reason we aren't releasing. Yep. Buy ships though."
2016 or "Here is an obviously fake demo. Buy ships. Buy more ships. Here is another fake demo. BUY SHIPS. BUY SHIPS. BUY SHIPS."

it's almost six years in and they are still working for people that have taken advantage of thousands of people that have obvious mental deficiencies to the point where there will be marriages and families destroyed and a real world death toll from these people paying tens of thousands of dollars for obvious lies.

I still support the 99% of the company that aren't responsible but at a certain point you lose your plausible deniability since you are the ones enabling this scam to continue by designing the new artwork and being the middleman between a talentless hack and autistic peoples wallets.

"Well.. let's just see how far this can go"
-A crew member on 'The Island of Dr. Moreau (1996)'

Though, this is of course much worse as everyone's salary comes from disability checks.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

MeLKoR posted:

stdh.txt or :shrek:

How exactly does one proceed to attempt to send over 100 messages in the course of 2 hours? I still haven't figured that one out.

Wise Learned Man
Apr 22, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

DapperDon posted:

How exactly does one proceed to attempt to send over 100 messages in the course of 2 hours? I still haven't figured that one out.

Dreams. Dreams happen now.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
when was the pupil to planet bullshit shown? I will laugh heartily if they just release a open-world map with a load screen

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Beet Wagon posted:

This is a British thing.
Most our taps are like this since WW2 government house designs.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

alf_pogs posted:

they even put the lights on opposing sides on each tap... guys just use one tap like my non-futuristic lovely office

Right? A cartridge for my single-handle bathroom faucet costs $0.98 and is made out of plastic. Why would you build a sink this way?

e:

happyhippy posted:

This is a British thing.
Most our taps are like this since WW2 government house designs.

Okay well at least there's some context so I don't feel like a complete crazy person. I still maintain that 900 years in the future or whatever, old British home design quirks will probably have fallen by the wayside :colbert:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

starkebn posted:

when was the pupil to planet bullshit shown? I will laugh heartily if they just release a open-world map with a load screen

Stand back. I got this....

10 For The Chairman EP 78 (May 2016) in which the discussion about procedurally generated planets, takes center stage and an hilarious turn.

Still not here. And it's almost as if all of these were just R&D tech demos designed to show the non-existent progress on this front...

"Nyx Landing Zone Preview" (Aug 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk

"Pupil To Planet" (Dec 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

"Seamless procedural planetary landing gameplay" (Dec 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XSiww9ZO4

"Alpha 3.0 gamescom 2016 Gameplay" (Aug 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1wX1Kk3Ajg

"Procedural Planets v2" (Oct 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCFTF8j7yI

...and that sandworm on a planet (Oct 2016)

https://youtu.be/XuDj5v81Nd0?t=5120

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

Okay well at least there's some context so I don't feel like a complete crazy person. I still maintain that 900 years in the future or whatever, old British home design quirks will probably have fallen by the wayside :colbert:

CRoberts has final design sign-off on everything

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Beet Wagon posted:

First they forgot the Roomba technology of the early 21st century, now they forget the hot-and-cold-water-mixing technology of the early 20th century. Do these motherfuckers start fires by rubbing two sticks together?

starkebn
May 18, 2004

D_Smart posted:

Stand back. I got this....

10 For The Chairman EP 78 (May 2016) in which the discussion about procedurally generated planets, takes center stage and an hilarious turn.

Still not here. And it's almost as if all of these were just R&D tech demos designed to show the non-existent progress on this front...

"Nyx Landing Zone Preview" (Aug 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk

"Pupil To Planet" (Dec 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yLTm8DZ8s4

"Seamless procedural planetary landing gameplay" (Dec 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5XSiww9ZO4

"Alpha 3.0 gamescom 2016 Gameplay" (Aug 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1wX1Kk3Ajg

"Procedural Planets v2" (Oct 2016)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdCFTF8j7yI

...and that sandworm on a planet (Oct 2016)

https://youtu.be/XuDj5v81Nd0?t=5120

:wiggle:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

AlbieQuirky posted:

First they forgot the Roomba technology of the early 21st century, now they forget the hot-and-cold-water-mixing technology of the early 20th century. Do these motherfuckers start fires by rubbing two sticks together?

I bet if you strip the walls down they run everything in pipes.

Probably copper because everyone associated with cig is a buffoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Sappo569 posted:

I bet if you strip the walls down they run everything in pipes.

Probably copper because everyone associated with cig is a buffoon

Cropper.