Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Batfleck is legit the best onscreen Bruce Wayne / Batman in movie history.

If they actually explained why he killed people it would be great, but they didn't so it came out of loving nowhere, literally caused me to bust out laughing in the theater during that first car chase scene in BvS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
I will not hear this slander against Clooney and West.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

a bone to pick posted:

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

:yikes:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

a bone to pick posted:

You've never seen the movie with Adam West then :colbert:

The Archaic
Jul 6, 2003

Are you a consultant archaeologist in North America?

Unionize today!

PM me and ask me how your future can be history!

monster on a stick posted:

The movie is funny for like 20 minutes because its so campy and whacky but holy god is it a chore to finish.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

The Archaic posted:

The movie is funny for like 20 minutes because its so campy and whacky but holy god is it a chore to finish.

Two words: Shark Repellent.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

JediTalentAgent posted:

I think part of the DC problem is that they don't have a good game plan for scaling up their universe, either. They started too big and didn't have any room to grow as easily.
To counter the Marvel method they should look at a movie like John Wick 1 & 2 where the world building is given to you with no real exposition and it asks you to accept it. Pretty neat concept and John Wick 2 is a great movie and can't wait for the HITB for it.

monster on a stick posted:

I wish Adam West did more stuff like The Grey Ghost episode of BTAS

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
There was a recent DC animated movie I saw with Adam west voicing Batman from the 60s/70s, that poo poo was hilarious.

DC's animated universe is so good I don't understand why they don't focus all their efforts on big-budget animated movies. Obviously Lego Batman is a huge success so maybe that will encourage them to do more.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Lego already has Ninjago coming out in September so please don't encourage flooding the market, thx.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nobody over seven (or their parents) is going to see that though.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
How many more years of box office dominance do you think comic book movies have? Specifically the MCU? How many more years can this trend continue?

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

a bone to pick posted:

There was a recent DC animated movie I saw with Adam west voicing Batman from the 60s/70s, that poo poo was hilarious.

DC's animated universe is so good I don't understand why they don't focus all their efforts on big-budget animated movies. Obviously Lego Batman is a huge success so maybe that will encourage them to do more.

They're too stupid to do this even as far back as Mask of the Phantasm. Coming hot off BTAS and iirc it was still direct to video. Honestly the DC stuff on netflix is alright, you just have to forgive the limited budget animation since they clearly spend like $100k on them, tops. But they tell weird side stories no exec would ever dedicate an entire live action film to.

idk they're cool but I don't really think that sort of storytelling works for the current Hollywood model even if you inflated the animation budgets 20x. They want singular billion dollar tentpoles not a dozen pretty well recieved films

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Blue Star posted:

How many more years of box office dominance do you think comic book movies have? Specifically the MCU? How many more years can this trend continue?

Probably indefinitely? they're fun and varied, and comic book movies have been popular for like 20-30 years. If we're talking marvel specifically I'm gonna go with at least a decade until the current actors really can't play the same character anymore.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Phantasm got a theatrical release. Siskel and ebert did a review of it back in the 90s

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
With Hugh Jackman bowing out (due to health?) and the last few X-Men being merely passable I think that franchise might have to slow down

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

hemale in pain posted:

Probably indefinitely? they're fun and varied, and comic book movies have been popular for like 20-30 years. If we're talking marvel specifically I'm gonna go with at least a decade until the current actors really can't play the same character anymore.

They weren't as popular 20-30 years ago as they are now, though. From 1989 to 1999, it was basically just Batman movies that were popular. There wasn't a glut of superhero movies every year. Studios werent competeing to make the biggest superhero cinematic universe ever. Last year alone we had Deadpool, Batman v Superman, XMen Apocalypse, Suicide Squad, Captain America 3, and Doctor Strange, all in the same year. Thats about the same amount of big budget superhero flicks that came out in the entire decade of the 1990s (Batman Returns, Batman Forever, Batman and Robin, Spawn, Steel, and Blade). How sustainable is that?

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
In the first 45 minutes of John Wick 2, no female characters have any lines. And the first woman to speak in this movie promptly gets naked and kills herself. Just an interesting thing about this movie.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Paladinus posted:

In the first 45 minutes of John Wick 2, no female characters have any lines. And the first woman to speak in this movie promptly gets naked and kills herself. Just an interesting thing about this movie.

S.o what it's
J.ohn
W.ick

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Ruby Rose is pretty great though.

naem
May 29, 2011

Paladinus posted:

You know what? There are hardly any romantic comedies with men shooting each other! So prejudiced!!

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

Aside from all the objective reasons to hate Josh, Somethingawful.com hates Josh because he's exactly as funny and interesting as your average goon. It's like projection, and it's so close it clashes. He's the giggly, red-faced, overserious mirror held up to us all.

Captain Lavender fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Feb 17, 2017

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Captain Lavender posted:

Aside from all the objective reasons to hate Josh, Somethingawful.com hates Josh because he's exactly as funny and interesting as your average goon. It's like projection, and it's so close it clashes. He's the giggly, red-faced, overserious mirror help up to us all.

shut up Josh

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Captain Lavender posted:

Aside from all the objective reasons to hate Josh, Somethingawful.com hates Josh because he's exactly as funny and interesting as your average goon. It's like projection, and it's so close it clashes. He's the giggly, red-faced, overserious mirror help up to us all.

gently caress off, Josh

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey, I just wanted to share an interesting fact about a movie, okay? No need to go all 'what about men?' here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inXkr9TV3Qo

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The Archaic posted:

There were some glaring oversights, with the Mayan empire having collapsed about 500 years before the Spanish arrived. That's not to say the Mayans completely disappeared, but they certainly wouldn't have been as numerous as the movie shown. One archaeologist I read about said they actually got the overall city and setup pretty accurately.

Some issues with the movie is that it perpetuates the myth of the Noble Savage: a romantically idealized portrait of non-industrial or "primitive" people. The movie shows the capital city is a day's walk but they act like they've never heard of it and are completely unfamiliar with their rituals. It was also considered a great honour to be chosen for sacrifice, they would have probably known about the eclipse since their astronomy was nearly as good as Europe's.

It always seemed to me that those priests knew perfectly well what an eclipse was in the movie, the commoners not knowing seems perfectly reasonable for a pre-modern society where the majority can't read or write and there is no organized system of universal schooling.

Also there wasn't really a Mayan empire, there were numerous Mayan city states which formed a Mayan civilization that faced a collapse some 500 years before the Spanish appeared that seems to have left most of the cities abandoned. There were still settlements going by the time the Spanish arrived, though likely not as large or powerful as those hundreds of years before, what we see in the movie is one city which seems to be raiding nearby settlements (like the one the protagonist is from) for captives.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Did you know that there only one female character in the first three Halo games? and she dies.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Paladinus posted:

Is she hot? Asking for.... a friend.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Trying to tear down John Wick 2 is the dumbest goddamn thing I've ever seen.

Where was all this when the first one came out?

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Sorry, Batman is the Iron Man character, Wonder Woman is the Captain America, and for some reason Superman is Batman.

Batfleck doesn't brood. He does science and quips.

Superman is more like the Thor character, because he's basically a god come to Earth to be its protector and is bad at civilian disguises.

Justin Credible
Aug 27, 2003

happy cat

Paladinus posted:

Hey, I just wanted to share an interesting fact about a movie, okay? No need to go all 'what about men?' here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=inXkr9TV3Qo

How does this guy in Hollywood who has/makes enough money to live in LA and constantly puts up random ramblings like that not have a better webcam. I mean for gently caress's sake.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Guy Goodbody posted:

Did you know that there only one female character in the first three Halo games? and she dies.

This is the RLM thread, I think you're lost.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
There are only two female squadmates in the first Mass Effect game, and one is crazy because you rescued near the end of the game.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
And here I thought I couldn't possibly hate Max Landis more.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
there's a race in mass effect that are all pretty blue bisexual women and they must breed outside their species :wmwink:

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

Lawrence of Arabia doesn't have a single female speaking part. Just Arab women shrieking.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
YOU KEEP KNOCKING IT OUT OF THE PARK BIOWARE!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
The last episode of Half in the Bag didn't have a single female speaking part.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

naem posted:

They could do a closer, more personal movie for BatFleck with some quality brooding and humanizing

And then just show lots of galga-doe's body parts while she chops people and don't let her talk too much (it's an origin movie just show exotic locals and action)

I know this is fanficky, but if not for the need to make Superman the central figure of their DCCU is that they could have followed the Marvel formula a bit more but with a twist: Do some smaller, personal Batman, GL, Martian Manhunter and even a WW movie as these completely stand alone movies. These are all characters who despite being heroes are still able to do what they do completely by operating outside the eye of the public.

The world at large is almost entirely blind to the idea of metahumans. 99.9999% of the planet has no idea of any of this stuff is really going on.

Then, boom, we get a Superman movie. Keep that angle of the Snyder flicks. Superman is the first of the superheroes to reveal themselves to the public in such a way that it can't be secret anymore. It's the bell that signals to every wannabe secret hero and villain out there that they no longer need to hide and play it safe, they can step up and step out into the world stage, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
What if they just didn't make any more dc comics movies and everyone stopped trying to make cinematic universes

• Locked thread