Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Luna Was Here posted:

I think I want to make the case of Battle for Everyone's Souls as the Best Atlus Song

it is to good for this world
The first 1:40 of it is amazing but it loses me a bit once it gets to the Velvet room singing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
My favourite music in P4 is pretty much every overworld theme. Your affection, heartbeat heartbreak, signs of love, new days... I don't know what it is about them, but that J-pop vibe always gives me some serious nostalgia. I found the actual dungeon themes to be rather mediocre, with the exception of Heaven.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Nate RFB posted:

The first 1:40 of it is amazing but it loses me a bit once it gets to the Velvet room singing.

Are you crazy, the vocals are what makes the song

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

HGH posted:

Might as well post the other obvious choice I guess:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Wi1Y8cmjyM

I used to mention this when mentioning the DDS2 final boss, they're kinda similarly structured and I liked it because of that, but I have to admit I forget it often as well.

Yep, there's just too much buildup for too little payoff. The same melody keeps repeating a lot compared to how short the "Reach Out to the Truth" segment is so it just ends up feeling like the same 20 second loop for 5 minutes.

Also since we're mentioning The Answer and you skipped it, I'm curious if you saw the plot developments it added?

I read a summary of events. I suppose I should just cave and watch the cutscenes on YT or something. I mainly just looked up the summary because I was told I wouldn't understand some stuff in Arena unless I knew about the events in The Answer. I haven't played much of Arena yet besides Yosuke's Story Mode and Mitsuru in Arcade Mode but I have no idea how Aigis and the others exploring another dungeon with keys and maybe reviving the protagonist and fighting his Shadow has anything to do with what's going on here.

Deltasquid posted:

My favourite music in P4 is pretty much every overworld theme. Your affection, heartbeat heartbreak, signs of love, new days... I don't know what it is about them, but that J-pop vibe always gives me some serious nostalgia. I found the actual dungeon themes to be rather mediocre, with the exception of Heaven.

Don't forget Snowflakes. It really is the perfect song for when you know the game is soon coming to an end and you will be seing goodbye to everything and everyone you loved.

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)

Captain Baal posted:

Darkness is a very good theme from FES no one talks about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xO_IX50ruQ

I agree I loving love clapping in my music

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I just beat Shemyaza in Soul Hackers by spamming media with Nemissa and normal attacks. I had one demon that had mind barrier to prevent his confusion, but all the other demons I kept summoning kept dying. There seems to be a dearth of demons with buffs in this game. Is there any way to deal with that?

hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
Also, other than the monkey lab, is there a good place to farm for MAG?

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I have 1 guardian left in Tartarus, I'm like Level 8 in the Nyx Murder Friends social link. Is there much left in the game other than this last guardian, getting through January and beating Nyx?

Also how much is Nyx going to push my poo poo in compared to everything else in the game? I'm currently Level 71.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It probably depends on whether or not one of your allies gets charmed and casts Diarahan on Nyx.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Ugh. That poo poo is painful.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Don't worry, it's only a possibility AFTER Nyx has lost 12,000HP because that's when the actual fight starts.

And in a mercy, the first 12000 HP cannot be healed anyway.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

On the other hand, it's only after the fight finally 'starts' when you're actually in any danger of getting a game over.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Nyx isn't very hard but she's an incredibly long fight and has a lot of random status effect gimmicks. bring a ton of status curing items and whatever the cleanse spell is.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I suppose it's a kind of no brainer to say "it depends on the difficulty level" but I played on Normal and still had some hard fights. But when I watched a video of someone else fighting Nyx on YT, it was completely different from when I did it. I recall Nyx spamming low level magic and I was never in any danger of dying. In the fight I saw on YouTube, he spammed an Almighty physical attack and used high level magic + both Charges a lot. Characters got KO'ed quite often.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So does P5 have Bad, Good and True Endings? How obtuse or obvious are the requirements?

GoneRampant
Aug 19, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

NikkolasKing posted:

So does P5 have Bad, Good and True Endings? How obtuse or obvious are the requirements?

Like with P4, there are individual Bad Endings for failing to acquire party members.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

GoneRampant posted:

Like with P4, there are individual Bad Endings for failing to acquire party members.

That sounds more like a different flavor of game over than a bad ending.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

NikkolasKing posted:

P5 has bad endings for failing to hit deadlines and other bad endings for endgame choices like P4 where stuff will happen should you say the wrong things. They aren't anywhere as remotely bad as P4's stupid choices where you have to talk down Yosuke being a huge fuckin baby about everything.

There is only one actual ending to the story, there is no true ending or anything like that

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Captain Baal posted:

P5 has bad endings for failing to hit deadlines and other bad endings for endgame choices like P4 where stuff will happen should you say the wrong things. They aren't anywhere as remotely bad as P4's stupid choices where you have to talk down Yosuke being a huge fuckin baby about everything.

There is only one actual ending to the story, there is no true ending or anything like that

P5 is gonna be so much better than P4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
P5 also has the same problem P3 and P4 have where a lot of nothing just happens for a good while and the targets after the first one all kinda suck and aren't really compelling until you hit the sixth one and then the game finally decides it wants to have a good story again and it genuinely has good plot twists.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the nothing at least looks more stylized than p4/p3

and it doesn't seem to have as many terrible attempts at humor and just lets the characters interact naturally

might be wrong on that

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Nah you're p much right

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So is it true that Innocent Sin Online, the Protag being Tatsuya and Ms. Toriumi being "Maya" was an addition to the P3 localization? Because that's awesome. I've been really impressed by the dubs in the games so far so I have a lot of faith in P5.

Although it was odd in Arena running into that new character with the Brooklyn accent. Of course my mind instantly went to Joey from Yu-Gi-Oh and while I personally was okay with the dub, I understood it had some pretty lovely parts you wouldn't see in more "respectable" localizations.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I must be one of about five people who actually like that Labrys has that accent. (Even if she just sounds like Makoto from Blazblue doing an impression)

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

freshlybaked posted:

I must be one of about five people who actually like that Labrys has that accent.

I'm indifferent. It apparently serves a purpose beyond "what the hell let's give her an accent" so it's no big deal to me.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Yes, Maya and Tatsuya thing is a localization thing. The JP versions names were Y-Ko and N-Jima the names of the main characters of Megami Tensei, Yumiko and Nakajima.

freshlybaked posted:

I must be one of about five people who actually like that Labrys has that accent. (Even if she just sounds like Makoto from Blazblue doing an impression)

I'm also a fan of her accent.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Feb 18, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

freshlybaked posted:

The accent rules and everyone should appreciate it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

freshlybaked posted:

Labrys' accent owns. Joiseybot is the best.

eternaldough
Jan 16, 2017

I've clearly been hanging around the wrong non-accent appreciating crowd.

I'm curious as to how people feel about Labyrs as a character though. She probably had more of an impact on fans than Metis, but I still hardly ever see talk or fanart of the likes of her and Sho.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Labrys is a decent character, but she's pretty disjointed from the P4 or P3 casts, and a fighting game isn't exactly the best venue to give her memorable interactions with anyone.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Labrys as a character is half of the poo poo they were doing with Aigis, but in a more interesting way and also shedding more light on how lovely Kirijo was. Like she's a fun character and serves an actual purpose in the series mythos and while that wasn't necessary it was still better than half of the other poo poo the had been doing to expand THE LORE of Persona 3 & 4.

Sho is very much of the same ilk in that he is a better character than he has any right to be and both he and Labrys play well off each other and the Minazuki personality is a cool character in his own right too.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

freshlybaked posted:

Well, it is the same voice actress as Makoto, and Makoto does have kind of a similar accent. Cindy Robinson is great, though, yeah. She's the current voice of Amy Rose, Queen Beryl in the new Sailor Moon dub, and Kolin in Streets V.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cindy robinson gave the performance of her life as zero the third in virtue's last reward, anything after is just icing

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

freshlybaked posted:

I've clearly been hanging around the wrong non-accent appreciating crowd.

I'm curious as to how people feel about Labyrs as a character though. She probably had more of an impact on fans than Metis, but I still hardly ever see talk or fanart of the likes of her and Sho.

I would imagine it's because people play Persona 4 Arena for Persona 4 characters, not the OC. I have only played a bit of Yosuke's route though and she doesn't even remember her name last I heard in that so I can't really judge at the moment.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
What was it in the original Japanese version, Kansai-ben or something?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Yep.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

cindy robinson gave the performance of her life as zero the third in virtue's last reward, anything after is just icing

If Marvel ever makes a Squirrel Girl animated movie, Cindy Robinson is my choice to play her and she'd just be doing her Makoto voice and I'm fine with that.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

TurnipFritter posted:

Kazuma Kaneko's reanimated corpse was released briefly so he could draw the cover for some edutainment book about Nobunaga. It has since disappeared back into the night.

I never can understand why Japan is sort of Okay with making one of their most significant people in history look so goddamn sinister all the time. Especially when their history is chock full of warlords.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I mean, Labrys had a pretty specific accent in Japanese, right? So the onus was on the translation team to try and get that across to a non-JP audience. (And this is all me going off something Jeff Gerstmann said, but) I understand that it was an accent that usually gets coded into English as kinda southerner, hickish, and I can't imagine that anybody would rather that over BrooklynBot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Crabtree posted:

I never can understand why Japan is sort of Okay with making one of their most significant people in history look so goddamn sinister all the time. Especially when their history is chock full of warlords.

He is actually a cool dude in Nioh.

Nobunaga is just sort of a controversial person in Japan.

Like they were similarly split about his his killer Akechi Mitsuhide. Some viewing him as justified in his betrayal of Nobunaga while others see him as disgrace to samurai for backstabbing his lord and prolonging the war by halting Nobunaga's unification of the country.