Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Seems a bit risky to send just two lances for such an important mission.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Oh man the day I have been looking forward to and dreading has arrived. I get to take part. I'm excited and terrified at the same time.

Edit: Also Poptarts if you sent me a PM could you resend it. This moron has had PMs since he upgraded but never actually turned them on.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 16, 2017

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Perestroika posted:

Positive Quirk: Hidden Torso Cockpit :v:

That would certainly explain why ejection would be difficult...

RA Rx posted:

Seems a bit risky to send just two lances for such an important mission.

Considering that Skye has massive cause to see the Lyrians fail here, two lances might have been the most that could be sent without tipping off the hundreds of spies that must be lurking in the Lyrian military.

thetruegentleman fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Feb 16, 2017

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011

koolkevz666 posted:

Oh man the day I have been looking forward to and dreading has arrived. I get to take part. I'm excited and terrified at the same time.

Edit: Also Poptarts if you sent me a PM could you resend it. This moron has had PMs since he upgraded but never actually turned them on.

Doesn't seem he's been sending PMs yet, since I know I can receive PMs from him from last scenario and I haven't seen anything yet.

Should be forthcoming soon though.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
The time has come! Time to reinstall megamek and get some practice in...

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?
Something doesn't quite smell right here.

If this communication node does indeed hold the 'golden ticket' for the entire invasion, why just send 2 lances? In fact, why send 'mechs at all?

Primaries are to secure the comm data and extract the VIPs; wouldn't both objectives be better served by a more 'covert' approach, as opposed to guns blazin' by army regulars?

And having a 'Company Adviser' in SLDF gear as liaison, with all combatants being expendable assets? Yikes.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Deniable assets :v:

Will Herr Brackhaus be making an appearance?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Oh god I'm on the pilots list I didn't think it would actually happen and I don't know how to play stompy robots tabletop and I don't know what I'm doing what do I do WHAT DO I DOOOO??? :gonk:

Fellow players please gently guide me over this mission.

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Volmarias posted:

Oh god I'm on the pilots list I didn't think it would actually happen and I don't know how to play stompy robots tabletop and I don't know what I'm doing what do I do WHAT DO I DOOOO??? :gonk:

This for me.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

get on irc - synirc, #megamek. your robot buddies will guide you through the process.

the main thing i learnt from my successful but not particularly effective game back in Air Raid is that you need to balance defense bonuses from moving and offensive penalties from moving, and think a turn or two ahead in positioning. Also set up a move spreadsheet right away so you don't run into each other.

Your robot will likely have been built by poptarts in a way to encourage a particular playstyle, so work out what that is then do it where possible.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Yah, in Nergal Reactor I was doing fine until I decided to walk. There's a fine line between being hard to hit and getting decent shots, and that line is smaller when you walk.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

vorebane posted:

Yah, in Nergal Reactor I was doing fine until I decided to walk. There's a fine line between being hard to hit and getting decent shots, and that line is smaller when you walk.

Luckily* for the players in this mission, none of their mechs really have the ability to effectively do that! :v:

*Perhaps not actually lucky

That's why the 5/8 heavy is such a great sweet spot- It can walk 5 for +2 def mod but only +1 shooting penalty, or run 7+ for a +3/+2.
All the machines here are either 3/5 or 4/6es, so their main goal is to just flat out either stay in partial cover standing still, or always move 5 hexes to get a +2 defensive mod. If you're moving with either of those movement profiles, at best your defensive mod matches the shooting penalty.

thetruegentleman
Feb 5, 2011

You call that potato a Trump avatar?

THIS is a Trump Avatar!

Volmarias posted:

Read the Quick-Start Guide, and you'll learn most of what you need: most of these mechs don't even have jump, so movement should be pretty simple. Sarna (http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Design_Quirks) will tell you what the quirks do; if it doesn't, ask PTN (along with any other similar questions about what stuff does if you don't know; I really should have done this more).

The most fancy stuff that I see should act like this:

---
Narc launchers shoot beacons that, if they hit a mech location, give all Narc missiles a +2 hit on contact (An LRM-10 on a roll of 11 to 12 hits with all ten missiles; a roll of 9-10 would hit with eight, but a Narc would ensure the full ten hit instead). Narc missiles can also then fire without LOS, but lose the +2 bonus.

Anti-Missile Systems work by reducing any hit result by -4 (LRM on a 12 roll would hit with six missiles, not ten). A single missile launched at has a 50% chance of hitting or missing instead. A Narc beacon launcher is an example of something that fires one missile. Anti-Missile Systems are always active, but I think they need to be facing the right direction to work. Also, they only block one missile weapon per turn.

Steak missiles always hit with the full number if they manage to hit at all; Anti-Missile Systems reduce the number of hits by -4. Anti-Radiation Missiles work as Narc missiles, but both ignore any ECM and are slightly more effective against mechs that use it (along with Active Probes and Com equipment).
---

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

thetruegentleman posted:

Steak missiles always hit with the full number if they manage to hit at all;

They're tasty too

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Mmm, steak missiles.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Green Intern posted:

Mmm, steak missiles.

Given their launchers, wouldn't that make them tube steak?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Zaodai posted:

Given their launchers, wouldn't that make them tube steak?

Exploding sauce packets cause them to aerodynamically unfurl after leaving the tubes.

Sparq
Feb 10, 2014

If you're using an AC/20, you only need to hit the target once. If the target's still standing, you oughta be somewhere else anyway.

pun pundit posted:

This for me.

Same.

Let's hope my limited experience with Megamek makes me more than dead weight.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

habituallyred posted:

The time has come! Time to reinstall megamek and get some practice in...

Sparq posted:

Same.

Let's hope my limited experience with Megamek makes me more than dead weight.

If you all are mostly familiar with Megamek I will happily make you a copy of the scenario that works there, if it helps you fiddle out your moves and judge line of sight.

(Well, once we see what the opposing force looks like, that is).

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
pfffft, Megamek. Actually "knowing TT rules" ... nonsense! Just ask all your questions in the thread, it worked for me!

also, when it's time to go big, go big. Don't hang back and let PTN focus fire your teammates one by one.

Remmon
Dec 9, 2011
So let's see... Thunder hawk, Zeus and Ceasar will want to hang back, ideally staying far enough from each other that an enemy mech trying to get in the face of one of them will face fire from the other two at their optimum range. The Archer's I'm not so sure, it seems like it could do pretty well either sniping at range with its missiles or closing in and shooting people in the face with the pulses.

The Banshee and Penetrator can both do okay at range, but they hurt a lot more up close. The Sunder has to get close to anything and the Cestus, well, at least it's not either of the single heatsink variants that just plain suck. I guess it would do best at exactly 3 hexes from a target, so it should close in with the others.

Edit: Nevermind about the Archer, it's got 2 of those pulses facing rear so it should definitely be sniping as well. Split up neatly into two groups, one centered around the Thunder Hawk with its triple gauss to discourage people from getting in your face and the other group centered around the Sunder Prime and its AC/20?

Remmon fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Feb 17, 2017

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Gwaihir posted:

Luckily* for the players in this mission, none of their mechs really have the ability to effectively do that! :v:

*Perhaps not actually lucky

That's why the 5/8 heavy is such a great sweet spot- It can walk 5 for +2 def mod but only +1 shooting penalty, or run 7+ for a +3/+2.
All the machines here are either 3/5 or 4/6es, so their main goal is to just flat out either stay in partial cover standing still, or always move 5 hexes to get a +2 defensive mod. If you're moving with either of those movement profiles, at best your defensive mod matches the shooting penalty.

Remember that since they're facing Clans, the enemy pilots will be:
1. Equipped with more accurate weapons.
2. More skilled.

As a +TN modifier matters more and more the higher the original TN was, this means that it'll often be to the player's advantage to stand still and trade shots, moving only when necessary to get into a better position to do that.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Volmarias posted:

I bookmarked this particular post titled How to Kill Mechs and Make Friends from way back in the thread when I signed up for pilot duty. This plus the quick start guide made getting into the swing of things easy.

Everyone else has kind of covered the gist of it but another thing to think about is trying to think one or two moves ahead of what you're doing this turn, so you can maximize your movement mods.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

I learned from my mission to ask questions a lot (and spend 80%+ of my time working out everyone's LoS), but go with what your gut tells you after the answers.

Also, that jumpers are inherently superior.

RA Rx fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Feb 17, 2017

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

My ugliest building made it in :unsmith:

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I enjoyed Officer Over-Enthusiastic Idiot from the update and am disappointed he will not be sharing the field in this critical, war-turning encounter. There's still a chance he'll contribute of course, when a wave of enemy reinforcements show up having dispatched easily with the force meant to distract them.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Dolash posted:

I enjoyed Officer Over-Enthusiastic Idiot from the update and am disappointed he will not be sharing the field in this critical, war-turning encounter. There's still a chance he'll contribute of course, when a wave of enemy reinforcements show up having dispatched easily with the force meant to distract them.

But he's piloting the Archer leading the second lance?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zaodai posted:

As someone who was bottom of the barrel at the Nagelring, his actual robot fight capabilities seem pretty on-point.

I guess he's just bad at everything else.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Xarbala posted:

As someone who was bottom of the barrel at the Nagelring, his actual robot fight capabilities seem pretty on-point.

Idiot savants come in all flavours.

Just look at the Clans :v:

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

So nobody recognized the ComStar admin building and HPG for what it was?

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Xarbala posted:

Ever made an RPG character and taken them through the Nagelring? You gotta learn unit tactics, get certified as an astech, figure out how to survive in the wild and learn military history, among other things. If all you want is to learn to get good at shooting you attend the MSMA on Bolan, they don't instruct you on anything else.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

paragon1 posted:

Deniable assets :v:

Will Herr Brackhaus be making an appearance?

Beat me to it. Would've figured that "Morgaine" be using that alias instead when I saw Saeder-Krupp mentioned. Are they actually a thing in Battletech or is it just throwing Catalyst flavor into the mix?

I guess there'll be Shadowrunners doing the actual extracting in the background, and you guys are just the distraction, which is why the extraction objective has a turn timer on it.

Picked a good time to get caught up with this thread, even if I missed the Political and Combat Theater votes. Still, very satisfied with what wound up winning the latter, if this mission preview is anything to go off of.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

They are not a thing.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Defiance Industries posted:

They are not a thing.

That's what I thought. Still like the reference though, since now Catalyst owns both SR and BT.

At least we won't be getting a Lowfyr interrupt outta nowhere, since it would never be good to make a deal with a dragon. For we are tasty and go good with ketchup.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!

GhostStalker posted:

That's what I thought. Still like the reference though, since now Catalyst owns both SR and BT.

At least we won't be getting a Lowfyr interrupt outta nowhere, since it would never be good to make a deal with a dragon. For we are tasty and go good with ketchup.

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/BattleRun:_Best_Ever

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

GhostStalker posted:

FASA also created both of them, which is why Unity City and the Seattle sprawl are like evil mirror versions of each other

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

I'm aware of the existence of this, looked it over a couple times online. Thought to mention it myself, but I couldn't fit in a reference that sounded natural.

Defiance Industries posted:

FASA also created both of them, which is why Unity City and the Seattle sprawl are like evil mirror versions of each other

I think someone mentioned this to me as well before.

I remember talking to both Shadowrun and BattleTech devs at the Catalyst booth at PAX East like 2 years ago, that was cool. Played my first actual dice rolling game of BT at a demo there too.

GhostStalker fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Feb 17, 2017

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Hyped to play. Never thought'd I get the the chance.

Bit nervous about the Green Knight. Don't accept any belts, kisses, or head blows folks.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Zaodai posted:

Oh wow, don't know how I missed that.

Also don't know what would possess his superior to put him on the single most critical part of the mission, when he could've been part of one of those other units and died quietly out of sight! That's what you're supposed to do with useless upper-class twit officers. Well, maybe he can make up for inept officer skills by racking up some kills. Worst-case scenario then he gets taken prisoner by the Clans and introduced to a way of life where you can be as incompetent as you like so long as you can also kill folks good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

To be fair, you might not want him to get too high of a rank but you also don't want to squander a talented MechWarrior just because you can't trust him to handle anything more complicated than a lance command.

He's inexperienced yet has the equivalent skills of a Veteran IS MechWarrior or a Clan Warrior. Give him a year or two and he'll probably be a 2/3 hotshot or even better, assuming he doesn't blunder face first into a CERPPC.

• Locked thread