Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm... uh... I'm the futuristic single person mining space ships with separate taps for hot and cold water in the lavatory?

Why are those light switches so big?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
Can't wait for the plumber career option to go with janitor and drink mixer.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sappo569 posted:

I bet if you strip the walls down they run everything in pipes.

Probably copper because everyone associated with cig is a buffoon

Nah, this is based off Roman as well, we are talking lead pipeing baby. (New machcanic, lead poisoning) (+3 to development debt)

Kosumo fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Feb 17, 2017

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

The only profession currently working is Space Jehovah's Witness

VealCutlet
Dec 21, 2015

I am a marketing god, shave that shit

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

The only profession currently working is Space Jehovah's Witness

Those poor Mormons in the expanse :ohdear:

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Wiz posted:

Honestly, I've never known a game studio to hold past work on doomed pie in the sky projects against people when hiring. Hell, in my experience the majority of game developers have worked on such projects at least once. I mean, sure, if you were directly responsible for the mess it's one thing but Bob the 3D artist doesn't exactly set the production schedule. Even causing the mess is forgivable if you can show you've learned from it. We've all been there.

What about your opinion on art theft?

Would you show the same leniency towards people who downloaded stock imagery and photoshopped the copy protection logos off?

What about taking characters like the Halo guy and editing it?

I'm curious because you mentioned that everybody is involved in something like this, which I can see, and no doubt corners are being cut at this point because of it all. At what point do you stop and rub your chin and say that these actions have gone a little too far?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Also, as to the AI company mentioned, that would be Behavior Interactive. I wrote about this specifically a few days ago.

It's very believable that Behavior is no longer involved but Moon Collider were responsible for the AI (Kythera), the story was they got cut ages ago and the AI went in house to Frankfurt who obviously hosed it all up or couldn't fix it.

Maybe it went to Behavior after that, but if so I don't recall hearing about it before.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

The Titanic posted:

Would you show the same leniency towards people who downloaded stock imagery and photoshopped the copy protection logos off?

I'm curious because you mentioned that everybody is involved in something like this, which I can see, and no doubt corners are being cut at this point because of it all. At what point do you stop and rub your chin and say that these actions have gone a little too far?

+42

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

I wonder if he sees another element that we don't have here? Are there viciously crazy people out ready to get physical if CIG succeeds?

I don't even think Derek would suddenly turn all Hulk smash if that happened.

For every CIG apparel donning guy all in black with a black mask and an assault rifle, I haven't seen any anti-backers in a similar getup.

For every Derek Smart hate sub, I don't think I've seen the same for any of the mega backers.

But again maybe that element isn't here, though I imagine most of the "worst kind" of anti-CIG people are in this thread. Maybe I'm overlooking these success hostile comments in rose tinted glasses. :tinfoil:

I like to consider myself kind of moderate though. I'd play SC if it actually came out and was good. Heck, of it had everything they say and got great reviews I'd buy it full price.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Beet Wagon posted:

I'm... uh... I'm the futuristic single person mining space ships with separate taps for hot and cold water in the lavatory?

Feel honored that you're not the huge rivets/bolts holding the top part of the sink to the bottom part of the sink, which in our current time is only a single piece of metal that's usually not bolted together.

But outside of being hugely over-engineered, it looks good! I can't wait until I get 6FPS while dog fighting because somebody's sink on the other four ships I'm fighting has 4K textures that absolutely must be rendered.

This game is literally Skyrim Modding: Space Edition.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Roflan posted:

'Sunk cost fallacy' can apply to virtually all human endeavors. For example, have you ever kept playing a game you hated or weren't having fun with because you were near the end or a major mile-stone?

This made me stop and think back over all the video games I've played over the years. And I realized no, not really. Even Imperium: The Bane of My Existence, for the Atari ST, a game which made me feel physical revulsion at the thought of playing it again, has a certain evil charm to it. Otherwise I would have stopped playing it after a couple minutes, not after many hours of showing it off to others like a video game freak show.

Generally though, if I hate someting, I avoid it like the plague.

Edit:

:stonk: Oh gently caress, I just realized why I still have this thread bookmarked: At this point, Star Citizen is as vile and freaky as that other game to me. I've somehow roped myself into watching yet another video game freak show! I'm not really sure what that says about my taste.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

AlbieQuirky posted:

First they forgot the Roomba technology of the early 21st century, now they forget the hot-and-cold-water-mixing technology of the early 20th century. Do these motherfuckers start fires by rubbing two sticks together?

They would try, but the sticks would just clip together and eventually one would fly off into space. It's like the angry monkey scene from 2001: A Space Odyssey, except instead of seeing a culture advance it's all going backwards. And the black texture on the monolith is a 8k single color HDR PBR photorealistic wrap the likes of which none have witnessed before!

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

Spatial posted:

The worm really has turned on the reddit, huh?
For the last few weeks I've been able to post in /r/starcitizen without getting negative downvotes. So, something has definitely changed.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

AlbieQuirky posted:

First they forgot the Roomba technology of the early 21st century, now they forget the hot-and-cold-water-mixing technology of the early 20th century. Do these motherfuckers start fires by rubbing two sticks together?
Hopefully someone from CIG development is reading and you have given them the key to starting fires. Before, CIG just overheated the video card until it burst into flames.

Enot
Feb 18, 2016

Is it normal to be more obsessed about the politics than the game? Derek?

Star Citizen: It runs like a fined-tuned machine

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

I am surprised that it is not a toilet/sink combo on those cramped ships.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

The Titanic posted:

I wonder if he sees another element that we don't have here? Are there viciously crazy people out ready to get physical if CIG succeeds?

I don't even think Derek would suddenly turn all Hulk smash if that happened.

For every CIG apparel donning guy all in black with a black mask and an assault rifle, I haven't seen any anti-backers in a similar getup.

For every Derek Smart hate sub, I don't think I've seen the same for any of the mega backers.

But again maybe that element isn't here, though I imagine most of the "worst kind" of anti-CIG people are in this thread. Maybe I'm overlooking these success hostile comments in rose tinted glasses. :tinfoil:

I like to consider myself kind of moderate though. I'd play SC if it actually came out and was good. Heck, of it had everything they say and got great reviews I'd buy it full price.
From my casual reading--the consensus seems to be among folks in this thread--if Star Citizen or SQ42 is actually released and isn't bad, we'll all be playing. Personally, I like playing great games. Heck I even like playing good games. But everything tells me we will always be waiting for "next year".

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

The Titanic posted:

Or downloading stock imagery and leaving the copy protection logo on.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

aleksendr posted:

The 3 crew ships are effectively costly, but you can have a gunner as soon as you have a 3rd hardooints and a second seat so most mid class ships (Cobra MK3 and above) should qualify. Even the small Adder is a 2 seater, and it cost nearly nothing. It would make sense most future ships release to allow for snub fighters or mutli crew now that its possible.
The snub fighter in E:D is a module. Depending on the class of ship you can have X number of modules which have a sizing from 1 to 7 (so far for me, might go higher, but gently caress it if I'm going to read documentation...). The fighter bays come in one or two bay options that hold between 6 to 15 fighters. When a fighter has to live for a minute and half or so before another fighter can be launched. The Cobra MK3, a relatively cheap, do anything ship can hold a class 5 fighter bay which is one bay with 6 fighters.

Just for those wondering how snub fighters work in E:D. You don't need to buy a specialized carrier class ship--just buy a 500K module from an outfitter. 500K is pretty easy to make--less than an hour of truckin'.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

I am surprised that it is not a toilet/sink combo on those cramped ships.

when living in a wankpod you take whatever luxury you can

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Also, whichever one of you is Dzunner, quit being an insane weirdo at /r/ds posters over reddit pms. It's an extremely bad look.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Wiz posted:

Crunch is incredibly inefficient after a certain point in a creative business like game development. It works for a few weeks, then you're basically just burning people out for what amounts to a lower/worse output compared to letting them have a healthy work/life balance. It's evil AND stupid.
Can this be a mechanic in Stellaris? Where you can "crunch" your ship/army production for a time period, then have it suck for a period after?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

HycoCam posted:

From my casual reading--the consensus seems to be among folks in this thread--if Star Citizen or SQ42 is actually released and isn't bad, we'll all be playing. Personally, I like playing great games. Heck I even like playing good games. But everything tells me we will always be waiting for "next year".

Nah, the concensus has changed here too. It's now more like "lol, when this comes out -as a MVP- it will be complete poo poo"

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

The latest AtV is amazing: people in chairs, no "game" footage.

The many faeces of Chris

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

D_Smart posted:

"Nyx Landing Zone Preview" (Aug 2015)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2YMlnn4Ngk
LOL the comments are months and months old and ever then people are giving CIG a hard time.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

SelenicMartian posted:

The latest AtV is amazing: people in chairs, no "game" footage.

The many faeces of Chris

TICKLER IN BLACK CONFRIMED!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Dr Derek Smart, your plan is working. I never watch your youtube videos and yet this happens.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

trucutru posted:

Nah, the concensus has changed here too. It's now more like "lol, when this comes out -as a MVP- it will be complete poo poo"

That's the consensus on what we expect will happen. But in the event that C-Rob finds a magical wish-granting genie and spends all three wishes on Star Citizen, I wouldn't be too proud to play the game just because we all said it was gonna be bad.

I mean, I'd be asking where the heck Roberts found a genie's lamp, and why isn't Shazam The All-Powerful on the credits list, etc. But I'd play it.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

i don't have a big rig gaming pc and honestly star citizen doesn't make me want to change that in the slightest

so unless it comes to consoles i probably won't play it

and even then it would be a mocking, gloatful play session

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Star Citizen: Take a loving break from this game for christ sake you loving mental patient

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

i don't have a big rig gaming pc and honestly star citizen doesn't make me want to change that in the slightest

That's the ultimate problem, if Star Citizen is to work as a good MMO, it needs a player base, yet the whole time Chris has said it would be bleeding edge game, which means that only a minority could run it, which is not enough to support a MMO type game. What is the point if it's an empty universe?

Just Whales?

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

That's ok--you can always watch WTFOSAURUS....

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

trucutru posted:

I think that is generally accepted as being the best outcome for the project. If we ran a pool, I'm thinking most would chose the "nothing will ever be released" option.

Plus it always fun to fantasize. I like to imagine the funding tracker is real and SQ42 has been ready since November 2014. But the VP of marketing being the genius she is won't let the toupee wearing thumb release anything. When idiots are giving you $35million a year--why ruin it with a game.

CitizenCon was the big showdown between Sandi and her Thumb. The Thumb wanted to show off SQ42. Sandi spent 15 minutes making the lamest Power Point she could. Sandi told him to show the lame PowerPoint and do wavy hands with lots of hemming and hawing for an hour. If funding dropped below $7M for the month, she'd let Crobbers release SQ42. Spergs never let Sandi down...

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

HycoCam posted:

That's ok--you can always watch WTFOSAURUS....

if i wanted to watch rape i'd just get hbo

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

Just want to say I called it (in my July blog).

I bet all of the newer features people see will be specific to land stuff and FPS gameplay and vehicles (not in space).

Again it's my belief that most of the talent pool is gone, but there are tons of FPS game tutorials and scripts available to them to utilize. So expect more FPS and significantly less space type development going from here. :)

Oh well, at least you'll get your game? FPS levels separated by choppy space flight instances. I hope backers will be ok with their panty clad little sister resting her chops on a planet in the not-Mako instead of on the bridge of their poo poo class battlecruiser flying through space.

If CIG keeps going it might get to the point where you just pick your next FPS level from a map and space-cutscene your way there! Can't wait!!! :allears:

Well, it depends. I can only really enjoy not Makoing with the little sister in her space nanopanties IF and this is a blocker IF they have the proper fidelity in jiggle physics. Otherwise, I completely lose my immersion, and will then be forced to immerse myself in my real life sister. (Yes, she is only 15, but CIG taught me that is JUST fine).

Christ, this thread makes me a terrible, horrible person.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

alf_pogs posted:

if i wanted to watch rape i'd just get hbo

When that whole awkwardness was going on--the one thing that never seemed to occur to people. Those two are in the same town, run in the same circles, and maybe, just maybe--have history outside of the show. I know it boggles the mind. But there is no accounting for taste. And it wouldn't be the strangest thing. gently caress, after the Trump presser today--nothing is strange.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Well, it depends. I can only really enjoy not Makoing with the little sister in her space nanopanties IF and this is a blocker IF they have the proper fidelity in jiggle physics. Otherwise, I completely lose my immersion, and will then be forced to immerse myself in my real life sister. (Yes, she is only 15, but CIG taught me that is JUST fine).

Christ, this thread makes me a terrible, horrible person.

Take a loving break from this gamethread for christ sake you loving mental patient