Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

the mean lunch lady posted:

Also, it'll always be St. Louis Bread Company to me :colbert:

Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
News: https://twitter.com/mcmurphyespn/status/832339043966910464

Views: I hope they lose every game 82-0

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
They'll never do anything of note. The Venn diagram of football players needed to make up a quality team plus those who want to experience Jerry Falwell's vision of "humans riding dinosaurs and no queers but curfew is at 8 PM" is not what you'd call a good one.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mike_V posted:

lmfao that you think 'hipsters' are Panera's clientele and not suburban families

Yeah Panera is there for rich white soccer moms who don't have an issue with paying $15 for half a sandwich, an apple, and whatever the gently caress a 'broth bowl' is, because it's "100% clean"

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Crotch Bat posted:

They'll never do anything of note. The Venn diagram of football players needed to make up a quality team plus those who want to experience Jerry Falwell's vision of "humans riding dinosaurs and no queers but curfew is at 8 PM" is not what you'd call a good one.

BYU manages to be half-decent despite largely the same recruiting disadvantages.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!
Turner Gill is going to be an FBS coach again?

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Every single time I've eaten at Panera I've gotten sick so it's garbage trash

pretty conclusive if you ask me

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Grittybeard posted:

Turner Gill is going to be an FBS coach again?

I wish he wouldn't have taken the drat Liberty gig but I'd like to think we can all give him a pass on two lovely years at KU given what little his successors have done :unsmith:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Real Name Grover posted:

I wish he wouldn't have taken the drat Liberty gig but I'd like to think we can all give him a pass on two lovely years at KU given what little his successors have done :unsmith:
What was Mangino's secret? Is abusing your players to victory the only thing that can work there?

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

Pakled posted:

BYU manages to be half-decent despite largely the same recruiting disadvantages.

BYU is also attached to a much more unique set of circumstances, especially with how they're able to recruit entire groups of people based off their connection to the religion. There's no "hardcore Southern Baptist" counterpart to that and the restrictions and limitations set in at Liberty aren't naturalized parts of Baptist life as much as connections between rules in Mormon culture and rules at BYU. BYU is a natural moving point for young Mormons, Liberty isn't necessarily so for even Southern Baptists.

Let me be clear: Liberty is moving up because of a fanbase and money not because their team is actually capable of doing so. They are well behind VT, UVA, ODU, JMU, and Richmond in football. ODU only recently moved up for a similar reason but they're also located in the heart of the 757 and ODU is an easy school to get into which makes for an easy football program to build. JMU and Richmond would be similarly competitive in FBS play but both realistically belong in FCS where they truly thrive.

Liberty is going to get eaten alive in the FBS. They were a good not great team in recent years under better coaching than they deserved but are historically average at best and have barely made even the slightest noise in FCS play (one playoff appearance ever). Jerry Falwell had delusions of grandeur and built that ridiculous stadium and then turned into an online haven school and built a fanbase from it, not an actual football program.

Crotch Bat fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Feb 16, 2017

single-mode fiber
Dec 30, 2012

the mean lunch lady posted:

Also, it'll always be St. Louis Bread Company to me :colbert:

If I ever see Imo's everywhere in the country like that, I won't know what to think

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What was Mangino's secret? Is abusing your players to victory the only thing that can work there?

Mack Brown loving up recruiting from Texas and Kansas getting enough decent breadcrumbs to put up a halfway respectable team. Then that well dried up for whatever reason, possibly because of Baylor's ascent, who knows.

Mangino is an overrated factor in their success. Near the end, he was making incredibly boneheaded calls and didn't have a fully healthy Reesing to bail him out on it. There's a reason he failed at Iowa State too. The fandom for him needs to die.

The trick at this point is to recruit Missouri as well as possible, but with TCU now in the conference and Texas eventually picking back up, it's always going to be an uphill battle. My main hope is for KU to get Klingsbury-era TTU levels of mediocre. Anything more is going to take a massive foul up like mass transfers out of Baylor to Lawrence or some other miracle.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Probably Magic posted:

Mangino is an overrated factor in their success. Near the end, he was making incredibly boneheaded calls and didn't have a fully healthy Reesing to bail him out on it. There's a reason he failed at Iowa State too. The fandom for him needs to die.

Yeah I pretty much agree and not just out of a once rival team's perspective. Mangino recruited better than Kansas normally did (and much better than they have since he left) but was overall pretty mediocre with what he did with that talent. The 12-1 season was helped quite a bit by missing out on (at the time) the three best teams in the Big 12 south, it still would have been a good season but more like a 9-4, 10-3 year--still great by Kansas standards obviously but not a BCS bowl year. Outside of that Mangino had an 8-5 season the next year and a bunch of flirting with or just over .500 seasons before. Mediocrity at Kansas is still impressive of course, but some revisionists think of him going on a Bill Snyder type run and that was never happening.

The W/L record doesn't really back me up but I kinda think Glen Mason was the better Kansas coach between the two over the last 30 years or however long it's been.

quote:

The trick at this point is to recruit Missouri as well as possible, but with TCU now in the conference and Texas eventually picking back up, it's always going to be an uphill battle. My main hope is for KU to get Klingsbury-era TTU levels of mediocre. Anything more is going to take a massive foul up like mass transfers out of Baylor to Lawrence or some other miracle.

Part of the problem here is Missouri's in state recruiting problems have historically happened in St Louis instead of Kansas City (also I think St Louis generally creates more D1 prospects). It'd be a lot easier for KU to make inroads in KC but Mizzou's generally been pretty strong on that side of the state.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

Yeah I pretty much agree and not just out of a once rival team's perspective. Mangino recruited better than Kansas normally did (and much better than they have since he left) but was overall pretty mediocre with what he did with that talent. The 12-1 season was helped quite a bit by missing out on (at the time) the three best teams in the Big 12 south, it still would have been a good season but more like a 9-4, 10-3 year--still great by Kansas standards obviously but not a BCS bowl year. Outside of that Mangino had an 8-5 season the next year and a bunch of flirting with or just over .500 seasons before. Mediocrity at Kansas is still impressive of course, but some revisionists think of him going on a Bill Snyder type run and that was never happening.

The W/L record doesn't really back me up but I kinda think Glen Mason was the better Kansas coach between the two over the last 30 years or however long it's been.

Part of the problem here is Missouri's in state recruiting problems have historically happened in St Louis instead of Kansas City (also I think St Louis generally creates more D1 prospects). It'd be a lot easier for KU to make inroads in KC but Mizzou's generally been pretty strong on that side of the state.

Missouri has like 10 4* prospects for 2018, so that is the year to make a move in the state (7 of them are from St. Louis though). I hope to god Mizzou can pull at least 5 of them.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Mike_V posted:

Missouri has like 10 4* prospects for 2018, so that is the year to make a move in the state (7 of them are from St. Louis though). I hope to god Mizzou can pull at least 5 of them.

All moves in Missouri should be to ensure you're leaving the state.

e: going in to KC to get BBQ is OK, though.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

Crotch Bat posted:

All moves in Missouri should be to ensure you're leaving the state.

I mean I don't have a whole lot of argument here but this came up because of the idea of someone leaving Missouri to go to Kansas.

e: For an actual thought on all those 4 star guys I think there are actually 7? Maybe 8. I'd be pretty happy with 4, disappointed but ok with 3. Any less than that going to Mizzou is a disaster. 5 or more would make me buy into Odom's recruiting a lot more than I do right now.

Grittybeard fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Feb 17, 2017

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Possibly the best tweet of all time

https://twitter.com/CoachJim4UM/status/832417816489914368

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

football is good again

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I mean I don't have a whole lot of argument here but this came up because of the idea of someone leaving Missouri to go to Kansas.

e: For an actual thought on all those 4 star guys I think there are actually 7? Maybe 8. I'd be pretty happy with 4, disappointed but ok with 3. Any less than that going to Mizzou is a disaster. 5 or more would make me buy into Odom's recruiting a lot more than I do right now.

The thinking is that 3 more are going to get switched over to 4*s as there has been rising interest from the big boys with them (I forget who exactly--RockMNation has an article about them)

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT
Paul Finebaum and Jim Harbaugh have the same amount of FBS division championships.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Saban is going to do a football camp in michigan to send a message

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
I can't believe we're gonna have a more unlikable FBS independent than Notre Dame, huge news.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

Grittybeard posted:

I am terrified about recruiting them because they all have like 20 offers and several from blue bloods.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

AsInHowe posted:

I can't believe we're gonna have a more unlikable FBS independent than Notre Dame, huge news.

Jerry hated Catholics, too. He desperately wanted a game vs ND.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crotch Bat posted:

I hope he gets that game, and he gets embarrassed. And another against BYU too. And Michigan, obviously.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

swickles posted:

Yeah, one just opened here. In fact, they had a "training night" where you signed up and got a free meal in exchange for rating the service etc. The food was decent, its all soups, slads, and sandwiches. She probably just wants to participate in a business with the guise of "we are trying to make money" rather than "we are trying to make money but don't want you to know about it in anyway and this is kind of indentured servitude".

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Really disappointing to find out it's not Souper Crackers.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
WOOOOOOO GUESS WHO"S BACK

https://twitter.com/leighsteinberg/status/832310553712300032

Watch out, Edmonton! Saskatchewan is coming for you!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Oh God, Liberty's AD is the former Baylor AD who was in charge when all the rape + cover-ups were going on.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

WOOOOOOO GUESS WHO"S BACK

https://twitter.com/leighsteinberg/status/832310553712300032

Watch out, Edmonton! Saskatchewan is coming for you!

HOT drat

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Crotch Bat posted:

I should hope that all of us can root for the giant meteor in a hypothetical ND vs. Liberty game.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pakled posted:

Oh God, Liberty's AD is the former Baylor AD who was in charge when all the rape + cover-ups were going on.

Yea, between the creationism and homophobia and general all-around backwards outlook on life that guy was the cherry on top of a "hate us forever" sundae.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska got Kurt Warner's son Kade, a WR, to walk on. So we now have the sons of Warner, Les Miles, Keyshawn and Rick Spielman.

THIS MEANS SOMETHING!

Right?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I feel so betrayed

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

God I miss "Party Down". Super underrated show.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
Some hope for the future.

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foo..._source=twitter

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Pretty much echoes all I said. This was a move of pure ego and they're going to get embarrassed and have to slink back down to FCS like a beaten dog.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Crotch Bat posted:

Pretty much echoes all I said. This was a move of pure ego and they're going to get embarrassed and have to slink back down to FCS like a beaten dog.

I hope Michigan gets to play them, and puts up a triple-digit shutout.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

God I miss "Party Down". Super underrated show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

They should join the SEC so Vandy has some competition. Also, late to the party here but Sark going to the Falcons and Bama potentially getting DaBoll would be poetic on some level.

• Locked thread