Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Oh, what's a 217°C difference between friends?
Interesting Cyclops LED headlight failure mode. Anyone else ever see this?

In case you can't tell what happened, the little mount broke off. The little metal 3 pronged dingus broke off the plastic part of the headlight.

I'm looking at getting another one, or something similar. Anyone use the 7000 lumen vs 3800 lumen one? I got the 3800 lumen one and i liked it fine, but looks like they've gone through additional hardware revs since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Try contacting them, as far as I remember they're good with warrantys/ replacements.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Supradog posted:

Try contacting them, as far as I remember they're good with warrantys/ replacements.

I did, my bulb is 1.5 years old, their warranty is 1yr. They have parts, but the new Mark VI bulb looks like a big enough improvement i just went for it.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Report back on the 7000 lum bulb, please. I've been tempted by it, especially since it supposedly works better in certain reflectors. Hopefully, that includes the awful 690 reflector.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Compare and contrast the way your pants fit to this:

Thanks for this post, it was super helpful! It actually answered a lot of questions I had, like the pants feeling dumpy/saggy in the rear end. I tried harder and realized I can get my boots to zip over my pants, so I'm keeping the A* pants. They're not the most comfortable thing to wear, but they do feel thick.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

nitrogen posted:

I did, my bulb is 1.5 years old, their warranty is 1yr. They have parts, but the new Mark VI bulb looks like a big enough improvement i just went for it.

Coydog posted:

Report back on the 7000 lum bulb, please. I've been tempted by it, especially since it supposedly works better in certain reflectors. Hopefully, that includes the awful 690 reflector.

They tossed one of these bulbs in a 690 reflector and said it worked well, so I caved and picked one up, too. Fingers crossed...

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

TRIP REPORT:
tl;dr: This thing is wonderfully, insanely bright.

Here's how bright it is with the sun over my shoulder:

Here's low beams at night:

High beams:

The Mark VI bulb is a lot better drop-in replacement for a regular light. The old light had a weird beam pattern that was kind of nice, but very weird:

This bulb has a much more normal beam pattern, without the extreme "horns" at the edge.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
TRIP REPORT (Nitrogen's cam takes better night shots than mine, I think.):

Summary: The Cyclops 7000lum led bulb is everything the 3800 lum should have been. It works flawlessly with my 690 SMC reflector, where the last one was almost useless. I swapped the low/high wires back to stock, because the low is now amazingly useful.

The Low beam is what got the new brighter LEDs. Even better, it got a slightly warmer color temperature LED, which helps a lot. Cutoff is flawless

Just the 2017 Cyclops LOW:

Just the 2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH:

NO CYCLOPS BULB. JUST 2x 2800Lum LED pods. I didn't mess with camera settings. They really are that much brighter. Lookin' at you, JAZZZZZ.

2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH plus 2x 2800Lum LED pods:
If you're having darkness problems I feel bad for you son
I got ninety nine problems but light ain't one

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I ended up picking up some of the VisionX Optimus round LEDs with euro beam covers. I really hate getting blinded by assholes with HID bulbs in non-projector housings blowing light all over the road. There's a d-bag who rolls around near here in his Jeep with an LED light bar doing the same thing. I'm hoping these will have good cutoff and still throw good light, wiring hassles be damned.

If they suck, the whole lot goes back to Amazon and I'll hit you up for your Run-Ds.

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Feb 17, 2017

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
No worries man. Sounds like you wanted to try for something different. Mine are slaved to the high beam switch because I know I'm very responsible with cutting them off before other cars come in line. I WILL light those blinding assholes up in a heartbeat, though. :getin:

I want beamshots when yours come in, please.

nitrogen
May 21, 2004

Coydog posted:

TRIP REPORT (Nitrogen's cam takes better night shots than mine, I think.):

Summary: The Cyclops 7000lum led bulb is everything the 3800 lum should have been. It works flawlessly with my 690 SMC reflector, where the last one was almost useless. I swapped the low/high wires back to stock, because the low is now amazingly useful.

The Low beam is what got the new brighter LEDs. Even better, it got a slightly warmer color temperature LED, which helps a lot. Cutoff is flawless

Just the 2017 Cyclops LOW:

Just the 2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH:

NO CYCLOPS BULB. JUST 2x 2800Lum LED pods. I didn't mess with camera settings. They really are that much brighter. Lookin' at you, JAZZZZZ.

2017 Cyclops 7000lum HIGH plus 2x 2800Lum LED pods:
If you're having darkness problems I feel bad for you son
I got ninety nine problems but light ain't one

Jesus loving christ that's some really good lighting. You'd really piss off a coven of vampires with that setup. How many amps do those aux lights require? I currently just have a cheap chinese 12v set bolted onto my crashbars just that I can flicker at people instead of honking.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00T9GNAYE/ref=psdc_15736511_t1_B019X7HRDS

It looks like they are 5.83 Amps, since the pair pulls 70 watts. Exploring at night is really fun, because no place is spooky with them on, and you can see any hazards as clear as daylight. When I blip the "flash to pass" to let people know they can cut in, or whatever, it looks like a traffic camera going off :lol:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Just picked up an Arai XD4. It was between that and the Shoei Hornet X2. The Arai seemed to fit the shape of my head better. I felt like I was between sizes on the Shoei or it just didn't work as well with my head shape.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Opinions on riding jeans? I've heard good things about RHOK and Draggin' Jeans, and I was also looking at Icons line but I thought I'd ask the thread for a recommendation for my grueling new 2 mile commute.

KillaZilla
Jan 30, 2003
Gents,

So whats the preferred helmet for a naked bike these days? I'm intermediate oval so I've been looking at the Shoei RF1200/NXR but it seems like there is a lot of newer models around which may be on par. Price isn't an issue.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

KillaZilla posted:

Gents,

So whats the preferred helmet for a naked bike these days? I'm intermediate oval so I've been looking at the Shoei RF1200/NXR but it seems like there is a lot of newer models around which may be on par. Price isn't an issue.

If price is no issue, Bell Custom Fit program for the Star.

https://www.bellhelmets.com/bell-custom-fit#star-carbon

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
I contacted Bell about the custom fit program, and the rep they referred me to never responded. I couldn't make it to any of the CycleWorld IMS shows this year, so I'm not sure how I'm gonna get my noggin scanned.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'd just be persistent - I hope they don't defund the program cause it makes amazing helmets.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

TWO HUNDRED AND FIFTY CUBIC CENTIMETERS

Keket posted:

Opinions on riding jeans? I've heard good things about RHOK and Draggin' Jeans, and I was also looking at Icons line but I thought I'd ask the thread for a recommendation for my grueling new 2 mile commute.
There are enough great jeans on the market these days that it honestly comes down to the cut of jean you want to wear. Are you looking for a straight cut, slim fit, bootcut, or? If you have a Levi style reference, I can throw some recommendations.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

I was looking into jeans and liked Knox buxton and Klims K fifty 1 also looks good from a safety perspektive at least.

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

I like the Klim 51's in that they're one of - if not the only - jeans with coccyx protection. However, they are extremely generously cut. I normally wear around a 32W slim-cut jean, and the 51's in a size 30 could literally wrap around my waist almost 1.5 times.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

-Inu- posted:

There are enough great jeans on the market these days that it honestly comes down to the cut of jean you want to wear. Are you looking for a straight cut, slim fit, bootcut, or? If you have a Levi style reference, I can throw some recommendations.

Levi 513 :)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

spouse posted:

Levi 513 :)
Try Dainese Bonneville Regulars. Alternatively, A/S Coppers.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

-Inu- posted:

I like the Klim 51's in that they're one of - if not the only - jeans with coccyx protection. However, they are extremely generously cut. I normally wear around a 32W slim-cut jean, and the 51's in a size 30 could literally wrap around my waist almost 1.5 times.

What.. well, this is why I never buy motorcycle pants/jackets online.

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm

-Inu- posted:

Something on the cheap (not quality, its just I don't have allot to spend at the moment) side for my amazingly long 2 mile 5 minute commute to work and back.

I'd go with regular jeans and knee pads but the last time I wore regular jeans riding I ended up with road rash up my leg :( so now I wear my waterproof textile motorbike pants religiously, I just don't want to have to faff around as much getting changed at work etc.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Supradog posted:

What.. well, this is why I never buy motorcycle pants/jackets online.

Klim - designed in 'Murica, for 'Muricans

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

KillaZilla posted:

It's not SNELL rated but the GT-Air is still a fantastic helmet two years in and you might be able to catch one on sale. I'm riding a Monster sans-air screen so I'm basically getting uninterrupted straight air flow, and it is eerily quiet sometimes with your earplugs in. Some folks consider the internal sunscreen visor as nerdy looking, but with the weird as hell tree lines and me riding around sunrise/sunset it's a godsend.

Edit: I was going to ask if anyone knows of any good riding shoes for the street as I'm sick and tired of wearing huge boots and lugging shoes to work in a backpack when I commute, but after the Not-Mind-Safe foot stories above I'm second guessing myself. It sucks because I want to also be able to use the bike for small errands without looking like a power ranger on meth that got halfway dressed before going to the store to steal Nyquil.

funeral home DJ fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Feb 21, 2017

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Ripoff posted:

It's not SNELL rated but the GT-Air is still a fantastic helmet two years in and you might be able to catch one on sale. I'm riding a Monster sans-air screen so I'm basically getting uninterrupted straight air flow, and it is eerily quiet sometimes with your earplugs in. Some folks consider the internal sunscreen visor as nerdy looking, but with the weird as hell tree lines and me riding around sunrise/sunset it's a godsend.

Edit: I was going to ask if anyone knows of any good riding shoes for the street as I'm sick and tired of wearing huge boots and lugging shoes to work in a backpack when I commute, but after the Not-Mind-Safe foot stories above I'm second guessing myself. It sucks because I want to also be able to use the bike for small errands without looking like a power ranger on meth that got halfway dressed before going to the store to steal Nyquil.

Revit and A* have some boots that look like reasonably nice fashion boots but have at least a modicum of internal protection like heel and toe counters, malleolus protection and semi rigid soles. They won't be as protective as true moto boots but they'll be better than sneakers or hiking boots. I'm partial to the Revit Royales.

If you get something in plain black without toe sliders you can probably get away with wearing them under riding jeans and not looking like an astronaut. Something like the Daytona Roadstars, for instance.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

You gotta get something that at least goes far enough up your ankle to keep them on in a crash. All the armor in the the world won't make a difference if the moment you hit the ground the shoes go *spoit* and fly away to their Shoe Planet.

See:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgKoXzbw13E

(yeah they're crocs in this case but you can see this phenomenon all over No Prisoners)

-Inu-
Nov 11, 2008

Keket posted:

Something on the cheap (not quality, its just I don't have allot to spend at the moment) side for my amazingly long 2 mile 5 minute commute to work and back.
Scorpion Covert, in that case :)

edit: Also Rev'it Hercules are worth a gander as well. They're discontinued, so you may not be able to find your size, but if you can, they're a water-resistant full overpant (so full zip up the side). Super, super simple no-frills, but they'd do you well for such a short commute.

-Inu- fucked around with this message at 11:09 on Feb 21, 2017

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Keket posted:

I have a pair of Draggins which I wear when "city" riding because I don't feel like wearing my power ranger suit just to pick up some things at the shops. I've never crashed in them but I always wear them with the insert knee and hip padding which you can buy additional. I've seen the aftermath of crashing in them at about 50kph though, both denim and kevlar had worn through at the knee and the protector took a couple scratches. However the guy who crashed just picked up his bike and kept riding for the whole day A second crash in jeans I've seen had a similar result. I've heard very good things about Hood kevlar jeans, apparently they are fully lined rather than Draggins which are lined at the impact points.

If you're not riding at speed any kevlar is probably better than denim, which is better than nothing.

tl;dr: I got my draggins cheap, wear them for city riding, recommend.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Actually, you're better off with nothing than denim, owing to the fact that they won't have to pick the imbedded denim out of your gravel rash.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

For a sort of combined feeling and look between riding and casual I really like the Furygan line of products. I own the Furygan Jeans DH which are pretty amazing but I only used them in fall/winter so far, spring should be perfect too, summer dunno but still better than pure leather ones anyways as regards breathability and mobility. They are reinforced with d3o pads (removable) and have all the kevlar anti-abrasion layering where it's needed. There are a bunch of other trousers too, from the pure textiles 'proper' jeans to the real leather ones. For the shoes too, get some Furygan Sympatex D3O and you can easily use them for walking around with no issue.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

You gotta get something that at least goes far enough up your ankle to keep them on in a crash. All the armor in the the world won't make a difference if the moment you hit the ground the shoes go *spoit* and fly away to their Shoe Planet.

That's 100% the plan. I like the Alpinestars Anaheim which seems to garner good reviews (that may all be from squids for all I know) but it doesn't look to be as armored as I'd prefer, although it is a hi-top. TCX makes a poo poo-ton of boots but I've never heard of them, but Revzilla seems to like 'em.

The rest of them appear to be hand-crafted and made of rhino dick skin so they cost as much as a tire, and I'd rather blow that money on a real boot. Blah. I love and hate gear at the same time.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If your main concern is walking around all day, well -- in fact you can walk around all day just fine in boots. I wore combat boots all through middle and high school because my school uniform called for polished black shoes but I wanted to be a badass, and putting the boots inside my pants no one noticed any difference. A highly race-oriented boot isn't going to be super comfortable for all day walking around, but there are plenty that are a little less hardcore that will be great.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

-Inu- posted:

Scorpion Covert, in that case :)

edit: Also Rev'it Hercules are worth a gander as well. They're discontinued, so you may not be able to find your size, but if you can, they're a water-resistant full overpant (so full zip up the side). Super, super simple no-frills, but they'd do you well for such a short commute.

+1 on Scorpion Coverts. The lower shin and ankle is a little skinnier than I like, but they fit well and I did a low-speed ground test on them that resulted in a tiny scuff. They run long, and if you want to put knee armor in, get something thin.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Keket posted:

I have some bull-it SR6 jeans that I quite liked when I was riding. I've actually sold my bike so I haven't worn them in a while, but here's what I had to say about them a while back.

They're gonna be great in the cold weather, the covec material almost feels like a quilted layer. They've been alright these last few weeks of summer, kind of hot but I didn't pass out. I got three pairs of SR6s, the vintage blue jeans, the straight black jeans, and the khaki cargo pants. First, the black jeans are really not jeans, they're more like cotton twill- you can wear them to work and not stick out. Sadly they fit slim, so you might want to be aware of that. If you have big legs you may want to try them out first. The regular vintage blue jeans seem to fit normal though, I haven't noticed it being too tight. The cargo pants are a lot baggier than the other two, and are really comfortable. They aren't really khaki, they're a bit darker and richer. I'd say they're camel colored, if that makes sense.

All three are noticeably heavy when you're holding them in your hand and you will want to wear a belt, but once you're wearing them you don't feel a lot of weight in any particular area. I wish they'd put a gusset in the crotch of these, they could use the extra room.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

-Inu- posted:

Rec for hipster Levi 511 cut?

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Z3n posted:

Rec for hipster Levi 511 cut?

The Dainese Bonneville slim and Revit Lombard are both a slim fit through the legs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keket
Apr 18, 2009

Mhmm
Ordered a pair of Rst jeans instead of the Rev'it ones I was going to by accident this morning.

But, I want to see RSTs build quality as a couple of friends have their leathers which I'm interested in. And the place I ordered them from offer no questions returns.