Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
We have that lady krogan whose chief engineer, but she can't be a party member because she has a real job I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dude can get the Geth Armory license.

Morlan knows how to conduct a deal.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Caidin posted:

We have that lady krogan whose chief engineer, but she can't be a party member because she has a real job I guess.

They could've made Drax a lady Krogan, which might have allowed for a unique character, but Bioware has this thing where you need to want to gently caress every female in the primary cast.

ub
Feb 9, 2003

no dont
Pillbug

chiasaur11 posted:

Dude can get the Geth Armory license.

Morlan knows how to conduct a deal.

I liked the way they had Morlan talk

"You want many good supplies, yes?"

"... this is not right, human!"

Made it feel like he was unused to dealing with humans, which the games probably could have used more of

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Milky Moor posted:

They could've made Drax a lady Krogan, which might have allowed for a unique character, but Bioware has this thing where you need to want to gently caress every female in the primary cast.

yeah they'd likely make the lady krogan a weird mutant that looked suspiciously human with tits and stuff.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

steakmancer posted:

I wish there was a stupid Salarian companion, every Salarian is basically hyper competent and I just want to play with a failson whose only good at shooting things

The defining trait of Kumail Nanjiani's character seems to be "nobody respects him", at least.

Zakmonster
Apr 15, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

Well then people ITT will start unfavorably comparing her to Eve (lady-Krogan in ME3).

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME
My only beef with Vega is that he shows up all of a sudden in the third game, and everyone acts like we should already know and love the mystery gorilla-man.

Neurophage posted:

hosed up opinion time: Benezia is a worse villain than Kai Leng.

Well, Kai Leng usually didn't knock your character off the map, so yeah.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

What's so interesting about a lady krogan? She gonna tell you tales about years spent in a hut, not going outside? That time she saw a bird out of the window?

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

jfood posted:

What's so interesting about a lady krogan? She gonna tell you tales about years spent in a hut, not going outside? That time she saw a bird out of the window?

I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a Krogan engineer fullstop.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Ehn... they probably excel at weirdo shut-in skills.

Lady krogans love trains... hmm... naw, gonna leave it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Phrosphor posted:

I am not sure how comfortable I would be with a Krogan engineer fullstop.

Probably a lot like the scientist on Tuchanka in ME2: "Goddamn I hate Wrex. Asking me to come up with new radiation-resistant crop seeds and functioning sewer systems and more efficient medi-gel for krogan biology. I already miss the good old days of 'Make me the biggest bomb ya got' and 'I want to make this gun shoot better.' Suck all the joy out of my life, will ya?"

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

jfood posted:

The codex had mentions of lady Krogan Warlords before the genophage. I think Grunt says some of his genetic memories or base dna comes from one of them.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

They're not gonna be cool warlords though, they're gonna be some asocial weirdie who's life experience consists of posting on space-reddit.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

jfood posted:

They're not gonna be cool warlords though, they're gonna be some asocial weirdie who's life experience consists of posting on space-reddit.

So they are going to be extremely easy to relate to.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

DancingShade posted:

Sounds like you're still in the bargaining part of the five stages.

I put it behind me then I decided to replay the series this last month... that was a bad idea I relapsed.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Robot Style posted:

The defining trait of Kumail Nanjiani's character seems to be "nobody respects him", at least.

"Wait. Did you just say you were the cool member of your clutch?"

"Yeah."

"Please explain."

"Well, when we were kids, I was the one getting good reports from the secret police, I was the one who was planning for my future. I would bring gifts for my teachers, 'cause they worked so hard. You know, cool stuff. He was always getting in trouble, he got caught smoking red sand in the tool shed, he crashed my uncle's hovercar."

"And you think you're the cool one?"

"Yeah, it's different on Sur'Kesh."

"I've never been, but I know it isn't."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Neurophage posted:

hosed up opinion time: Benezia is a worse villain than Kai Leng.
Well, here's another hosed up opinion: Kai Leng is not a bad character in concept, it's just the way he's used in cutscenes that drives everyone crazy, me included.

That ME Retrospective is absurdly long and tediously nitpicks every loving thing, which makes it stand out when they nitpick something unjustly. So, for example, "Why did Kai Leng join Cerberus" is a dumb question to ask. He's psychopath with a deep hypercompetitive streak, who did well in the military until his obvious issues got him booted. He's the Illusive Man's pawn and a foil for Shepard because he's like if Shepard was a cheap thug. Nothing wrong with his characterization unless you read novels about piss and cereal.

ME2 has some boring characters and some sidequests that don't do much to further illustrate the setting, but ME2 doesn't have ME3's burden of being the conclusion to the series. Everything in ME3 that's a misstep, or even just underwhelming, really sticks out. Like, Vega's alright, but all the work that went into him is time that a lot of people had been spent on Thane or Wrex instead.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

SgtSteel91 posted:

Even Wrex can be reduced to "Canderous Ordo, but a T-Rex."

I fail to see an issue with this.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Jack2142 posted:

yeah the only problem i had with canderous was that he was human shaped instead of being a living gun.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Jack2142 posted:

There isn't one. It just that some people have, just now with Andromeda, noticed that nearly every single Bioware character ever always conforms to some combination of the same broad character archetypes they have always used.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Kibayasu posted:

There isn't one. It just that some people have, just now with Andromeda, noticed that nearly every single Bioware character ever always conforms to some combination of the same broad character archetypes they have always used.

That's what happens when your writers are surrounded by an echo chamber and probably aren't willing/given time to go to workshops to improve their craft.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

SgtSteel91 posted:

Even Wrex can be reduced to "Canderous Ordo, but a T-Rex."

Right down to having the exact same character arc Canderous had in KOTOR 2!

Seriously it cannot be reiterated enough what a rehash of a character Wrex is.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Captain Oblivious posted:

Right down to having the exact same character arc Canderous had in KOTOR 2!

Seriously it cannot be reiterated enough what a rehash of a character Wrex is.

Holy poo poo is your username ever apt

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Serf posted:

Still not as metal as the Brutes from Halo, who nuked themselves into the stone age twice, and learned nothing from the experience.

What about the Thraddash, who nuked themselves into the stone age eighteen times?

Milky Moor posted:

...wait, you don't want to gently caress a Krogan?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
One of the party members should be a grody nerd who just sits at a console all day and types hateful things about women. He sometimes walks around the ship staring at female crewmembers but never speaking to them. When you try to romance him he breaks down and starts wailing about the size of his penis and runs away. Unless you jettison him after a certain point in the story, he will go on a killing spree on your ship and kill all your crew and then himself

Original character do not steal

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
I don't like Wrex. Or Krogans.

Didn't kill him, though. But that's because I'm a purebred Paragon.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PureRok posted:

I don't like Wrex. Or Krogans.

Didn't kill him, though. But that's because I'm a purebred Paragon.

Every part of this disgusts me.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

FronzelNeekburm posted:

My only beef with Vega is that he shows up all of a sudden in the third game, and everyone acts like we should already know and love the mystery gorilla-man.

Vega's introduction was some of the best writing in ME3, especially of the military characters.

"You're not supposed to call me that (commander) anymore James,"
"Not supposed to salute you either,"

That's actually really good, it straight away tells us that Vega respects Shepard, that he's a military man but he follows the spirit not the letter of the rules, that he's intelligent and that he and Shepard already know each other slightly. All that in 6 words. It's partly why even the mega-nerds like me think 'yeah, the Gears of War looking random soldier boy that abruptly joins in the third act was alright actually", it's the best character introduction in the series besides maybe Mordin.

It especially stands out because half the dialogue in ME3, especially from the military characters, is just pointless reductive repetition.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Release isn't that far away now, super excited.

Are there any concerns people have been having? Not been up to date with it recently

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
Some people are very concerned that this Bioware game is going to end up being a Bioware game.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

That is a big concern hahaha

The new combat system looks interesting though and the 'free roam' but I hope it doesn't turn into a gathering game.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Some of us are concerned they'll let the human characters, like, have lines and stuff.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Yeah gently caress the Inquisition gathering style. Of all the games It was Dragon Age 2 that got It right, you just discover a node and its available to you forever, only spending money for the available crafted products

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

I dropped Inquisition after a while, got like halfway through and spent 40 hours on it already, just collecting everything and doing all the dumb quests. I need to just do the main storyline since it's pointless collecting the garbage.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Pruney posted:

Release isn't that far away now, super excited.

Are there any concerns people have been having? Not been up to date with it recently

Beyond being concerned that the game won't be very good I'm concerned that I'm not going to have enough time to play three open-world-ish games on three different platforms just a few weeks apart (Zelda, Nier and Mass Effect).

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Forgot about Zelda. I might just leave it anyway, still not played through the original ones yet, just watched my girlfriend instead. Also what's Nier, just looked and seemed like some animoo stuff.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Sequel to a game that had a great story, characters and localisation but mediocre at best gameplay, but now it's being made by Platinum (but still written by the same guy and localised by the same team) so it has great gameplay now too (judging from the demo anyway).

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
Nier looks really great! Pretty hyped for it. On the other hand, I'm managing my expectations for Andromeda. None of the crewmates seem super interesting, and the disarm gif gets me every time. More substantially, combat seems too busy without being interesting. Maybe today's video will change that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Veotax posted:

Sequel to a game that had a great story, characters and localisation but mediocre at best gameplay, but now it's being made by Platinum (but still written by the same guy and localised by the same team) so it has great gameplay now too (judging from the demo anyway).

Mediocre but unique. There were a lot of ideas in Nier that used the medium in ways nobody else was really trying, at least not outside the indie pixel art scene. Combining that with Platinum at its best, we could see something really special.