Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
As late as 1969 people would enter F2 cars in the German Grand Prix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

wicka posted:

How does everyone miss the fact that Can-Am is exactly the series you're proposing? It lasted like ten years under its original guise before they had to implement stricter rules due to spiraling costs. Just one time I'd like to hear a mythical solution to all of Formula One's problems that hasn't already been tried and resulted in abject failure.

Seriously, this. I love Can-Am, it spawned some unbelievably Cool And Good racecars, but the series itself was the sole reason that the series quickly became not a thing. That, and Porsche making literally the best Can-Am car ever.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I've never seen Can-am racing but from everything I've heard it was not remotely close and largely dominated by 1-2 marques.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

The racing series that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
The history of Can-Am was that McLaren won everything and then Porsche won everything. At some point Lola won a race.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I don't deny that a "absolutely no rules whatsoever" series can't sustain but christ it would be refreshing to have a series reset all the stupid rules that are now a give in for every series and make up its own mind on what's worth banning.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
Can-Am's ultimate undoing was their ugly cars. F1 has been flirting with that outcome lately.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester posted:

Can-Am's ultimate undoing was their ugly cars. F1 has been flirting with that outcome lately.

Can-Am's ultimate undoing was Porsche who was kicking everyone's arse at it

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I'm playing RR4 again and it turns out that one of the American Twin Fan cars in the game was actually a real Can-Am car. Cool beans.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Human Grand Prix posted:

I'm playing RR4 again and it turns out that one of the American Twin Fan cars in the game was actually a real Can-Am car. Cool beans.

The 2J owned. Had a shitload of speed but I don't think it ever finished a race, and it got banned really quickly.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I need to watch F5000 and Old US sportscar stuff. I'm embarrassed that I thought Jim Hall was just a successful CART guy. Which I guess isn't as bad as thinking Eddie Lawson was a random midfield Indycar driver.

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
There's a bunch of old IMSA races on YT that are great. The GTP/Group C era was the best.

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll

Can-Am's ultimate undoing was their ugly cars.

You shut your dirty whore mouth right this instant.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

George Zimmer posted:

There's a bunch of old IMSA races on YT that are great. The GTP/Group C era was the best.

Yeah the 80s IMSA Silhouettes and protos were cool. I was thinking more along the lines of 70s stuff though.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Speaking of old poo poo. Does the MotoGP video pass give you access to older seasons? If I can see some of the two stroke era I think I can probably convince myself this is worth it.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Pretty sure it has all races back to 1992. Don't know what else is in there.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
It's actually sad how hard it is to get old bike races in full. You get like clip together highlights at the best.

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

New McLaren
https://vimeo.com/204339860

:fap:

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Owns

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
New Williams: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFagk2lpseQ

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

=O

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

It's an artists' impression. Not the real thing.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Even Mahk Wibbah managed to do, what, 3 separate backflips at max speed in top level race cars?

His Le Mans backflip was my favourite but he didn't stick the landing as well as he did in F1.

Dubs
Mar 6, 2007

Stroll Own Zone.
Disregard Stroll outside zone.

Rhopunzel posted:

fffffuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Rhopunzel posted:

It has a step nose? We were told no step noses I think.

Someone at f1 has been reading the last few pages of this thread. (Probably not though). Teams are saying rules are bad and complicated and lets have active suspension back in 2018. FIA are currently working on clarifying existing rules before testing, which could leave Red Bull and Mercedes screwed (Probably not though)
http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-teams-back-active-suspension-return-874491/

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

I love the new Williams. Just those awful rear wings from the last 8 years being gone makes me inordinately happy.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

Rhopunzel posted:

Thank god, that was atrocious.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.
The Williams has a nice anus

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C42nBE0WAAAZmhj.jpg:large

Or, as the kids would sat "Datass"

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari
In regards to the fake McLaren video: literally the first frame is it saying it's an unofficial fan made interpretation. Are you people blind or just that lazy?

In regards to the Williams which is real: I'm extremely disappointed they kept the little nub nose bit but otherwise the car looks like a much sleeker version of the previous generation. Kind of disappointing as I was hoping for a bit more radical revolution.

Brainwrong
Mar 20, 2004

RIP Bobby K
Poland's Rose. Like a cabbage in the wind.

Wirth1000 posted:

In regards to the Williams which is real: I'm extremely disappointed they kept the little nub nose bit but otherwise the car looks like a much sleeker version of the previous generation. Kind of disappointing as I was hoping for a bit more radical revolution.

According to someone on reddit (so take from it what you will) " it is a render based on the 2016 car adapted for 2017 regulations, mostly used to introduce the livery and general impression of the car. Basically, for sponsors." So it's not the actual 2017 Williams

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So there's been what, three car reveals now, and all of them are fake

Wirth1000
May 12, 2010

#essereFerrari

Brainwrong posted:

According to someone on reddit (so take from it what you will) " it is a render based on the 2016 car adapted for 2017 regulations, mostly used to introduce the livery and general impression of the car. Basically, for sponsors." So it's not the actual 2017 Williams

Yeah, none of the F1 journos or Williams themselves have hinted at that whatsoever. They're treating this render as an unofficial launch of their official car. Now, naturally, poo poo can and probably will change once testing starts and parts start getting thrown on and off it but I'm not taking this is as a livery launch. Teams have always been very up front about a livery launch and the real deal and Williams' language is that this is the real deal so I'm gonna go off that.

And after looking at it on a proper monitor and not a phone I'm starting to like it a lot. The differences are really coming out now. I'm just disappointed that the snub nose is still there but hopefully a front wing revision will ditch it. Otherwise, slick.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

I think Williams did the digital render launch in 2014 and it was the same thing where the actual car bore little resemblance. It's probably way cheaper and it's easier to just not render details you don't want other teams to know about.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

God guys we are so dumb for saying #fakenews cars look nice.

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
That williams is sweet, that back end will create a nice vortex.

If you know what I mean fellas :smug:

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?

Human Grand Prix posted:

Hans Heyer starting the 1977 German GP despite not qualifying because the officials liked him ftw.

Germans ignoring any rules they don't like and getting away with it?? In my F1?????

aequalis
Aug 11, 2010

Fernando is smugger than you. Can you confirm you understand that message?

Wirth1000 posted:

Looks like Renault have the clit nose too, so maybe it is the true 2017 design, as you say, or maybe they're both being sneaky sneaky and not showing they're nose cone until the official relveals at the test track. Or even in Melbourne.

http://m.imgur.com/OdP4R4o

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit
Indian takeaway, wine and Formula-E, what a splendid evening this has turned out to be.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Myrddin_Emrys posted:

Indian takeaway, wine and Formula-E, what a splendid evening this has turned out to be.

Formula E is so loving bland, it's hard to watch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrddin_Emrys
Mar 27, 2007

by Hand Knit

djssniper posted:

Formula E is so loving bland, it's hard to watch

Just like your posts

• Locked thread