Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

I'm in the mood for dumb questions to ask the thread.

Considering the fact that a.) it still exists, and b.) it's actually providing drivers for Indy Lights again (Ryan Norman)..do you think we'll ever see the Atlantics become a feeder series for IMSA/ICS again?

Also how come it DIDN'T become those things past 2008 or so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

FuzzySkinner posted:

Considering the fact that a.) it still exists, and b.) it's actually providing drivers for Indy Lights again (Ryan Norman)..do you think we'll ever see the Atlantics become a feeder series for IMSA/ICS again?
:aaa: they're even racing at Indy :aaa:

http://atlanticchampionshipseries.com/schedule.html

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

FuzzySkinner posted:

I'm in the mood for dumb questions to ask the thread.

Also how come it DIDN'T become those things past 2008 or so?

The split, as always.

Lights continued with CART after the split because they owned the trademark to the name, but the field dwindled because the cars were expensive to run and Atlantics was getting faster and more expensive itself. So they just canned Lights completely after 01 and used Atlantics as the top feeder series. ChampCar then updated them in 06 and made them faster/bigger to better fit the role.

Meanwhile in 02, the IRL decided they needed a feeder series (partially because USAC was imploding), so they started the "Infiniti Pro Series" because they didnt have the Lights trademark.

In merger talks, it was pretty obvious that Atlantics and IPS were broadly similar so there was no real reason to keep both. Atlantics had a huge field in 2007, but most of the field was using ChampCar subsidized leases on the chassis, and the cars would need new suspension and gearbox updates to run on ovals. Tony George was subsidizing most of the IPS field too, but he was the one buying the ChampCar assets afterall. Since IndyCar now had the Indy Lights trademark back, IPS was rebranded as Lights and Atlantics was sold off to go be a IMSA support series.

Atlantics only survived like 1 year of independence before folding completely in 2010 because there was unironically going to be a 1 car field at the first race (Zach Veach, funny enough). Some guys bought the ashes to join the SCCA pro-am series, like F1600 and stuff. Thats where Atlantics came from in the first place, and guys have been running them at the SCCA run-offs for years even with the pro series running. I think it folded again after that but apparently came back.

Its not a "pro" series, so thats why its not in the ladder and wont be. Although I would totally support IndyCar buying the name and rebranding Pro Mazda.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
Speaking of USAC how come they've come back to running pavement? F1600/2000/Atlantics all list USAC instead of SCCA on their website.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Peanut President posted:

Speaking of USAC how come they've come back to running pavement? F1600/2000/Atlantics all list USAC instead of SCCA on their website.

I had seen that. I believe that they are their new sanctioning body oddly enough.

USAC is very weird as an organization because their HQ is a.) the size of small town bank building b.) literally across the street from the Speedway Yet their relationship with VICS seems visibly strained after TG cut them out of the picture in 1997 after they continued to gently caress up the scoring.

It's even more bizarre considering the Hulmans founded USAC, own IMS...and by proxy (with TG) created the IRL...yet only two are relatively close terms with each other.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Well we found out who was buying some of KV's stuff: Juncos apparently bought 2 of KV's cars and wants to run the 500 this year and more next year.

... by the way, there are rumors linking them to Pastor Maldonado.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138182-juncos-racing-readying-indycar-program

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AJ's in the news! :woop:

For stem cells.

quote:

Foyt has survived it all but not without a struggle. He now is looking for a “fountain of youth” and told the Verizon INDYCAR Mobile App that he will undergo stem cell therapy in Cancun, Mexico.

“They have to cut away some of the tissue from my stomach and it takes 8-10 weeks for it to grow back to produce the stem cells,” Foyt said in an exclusive interview. “I'll probably have it done soon so that we can begin the treatment within the next two to three months.”

:confuoot:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Good

https://twitter.com/RaceSonoma/status/831646233944920064

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind
I would like Sonoma a lot more than I do if it were than green and pretty all year round.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Peanut President posted:

Hmmm apparently USAC took control of sanctioning this past winter than I thought. They will be sanctioning Pirelli World Challenge now plus all of them. Maybe USAC wanting to get back into pavement sanctioning?

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Wherever you go, whatever you do, I will be right here waiting for you...

Yams Fan
I saw Pigot at Phoenix, but didn't get a chance to talk to him. He's a good, young driver and needs to stay around for awhile.

WindyMan posted:

I would like Sonoma a lot more than I do if it were than green and pretty all year round.

I'd like to go to Sonoma this year, but yeah it looks like a desert in September

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

BMB5150 posted:

Hmmm apparently USAC took control of sanctioning this past winter than I thought. They will be sanctioning Pirelli World Challenge now plus all of them. Maybe USAC wanting to get back into pavement sanctioning?

I wish USAC wasn't a joke sanctioning body for Indy during the 90's...because there was something cool about them sanctioning the Indy 500 independent from CART. Seemed like a lot of advancements were made in the sport because of that.

These actions do indeed seem puzzling considering USAC's commitment always seemed towards short track stuff, not so much road course things. In fact it feels like CART was partially created for that reason.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Is Aleshin still confirmed a ride with SMP? It seems like what may or may not happen with the president is contingent on that and highly doubtful now.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Sounds like Newgarden's car will be in Miller Lite colors for the 500, based on his twitter feed.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Also KV officially dead: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138216-kv-racing-technology-thanks-fans-team-members

Coyne becomes the only surviving team that ran in ChampCar in 07.

How about a picture a year for their tenure. Pretty sad to lose a fairly long term participant.

Mika Salo in 03:

Jimmy Vasser in 04:

Cristiano Damatta in 05:

Kat Legge in 06:

Neel Jani 07:

Will Power 08:

Paul Tracy 09:

Mario Moraes, Takuma Sato, EJ Viso, and PT '10:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9BmgSit9cA

Sato '11:

Rubens Barichello '12:

Tony Kanaan '13:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T8v-X6S4wlU&t=940s

Townsend Bell '14:

Bryan Clauson '15:

Sebastien Bourdais '16:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
I love that Lola even if it was in the Junk Formula.

Also, I hope Jimmy sticks around. He's a good guy.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Feb 16, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcL43RGNa64

His answer to "How many wins did Bryan Herta have as a driver"... loving :lol:

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Herta was the king of getting Pole Position/getting into the lead then having circumstances work against him or blowing it. In 1998 ESPN repeatedly showed a montage of Herta getting owned by Zanardi before races.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

Human Grand Prix posted:

Herta was the king of getting Pole Position/getting into the lead then having circumstances work against him or blowing it. In 1998 ESPN repeatedly showed a montage of Herta getting owned by Zanardi before races.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBthxGThBkc

Man Zanardi enjoyed punking him.

But at least he was able to pick up a few wins during his racing career at least...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9CiB_Rxvds

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUQfibRXLKU

Seriously he was insanely good at Laguna Seca.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
I really liked Rahal's Miller Lite scheme

dsriggs
May 28, 2012

MONEY FALLS...

...FROM THE SKY...

...WHENEVER HE POSTS!

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I really liked Rahal's Miller Lite scheme

Miller Lite, you say?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

If there's not 101 bottles in there I'm gonna be upset.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

"Get your drink on!" sounds so awesomely not-Penske. Josef is gonna be the next PT. :neckbeard:

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
No sponsor money is worth drinking 101 Miller beers

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

Proud Christian Mom posted:

No sponsor money is worth drinking 101 Miller beers

Only if it's 101 High Life's and I've already been drinking

EDIT: It should also be noted that Miller is the official sponsor of IndyCar as a whole, so just picture every driver in front of that cooler. Probably should be Hinch doing that promo

KingShibby fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Feb 20, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

wicka posted:

If there's not 101 bottles in there I'm gonna be upset.

Nah, only 99

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

EDIT: It should also be noted that Miller is the official sponsor of IndyCar as a whole, so just picture every driver in front of that cooler. Probably should be Hinch doing that promo

I doubt Hinch can bring himself to openly endorse any beer other than:

KingShibby
Jan 30, 2004

Yams Fan

IOwnCalculus posted:

I doubt Hinch can bring himself to openly endorse any beer other than:

Sadly I've had Hammerdown and it's an average beer at best :saddowns:

George Zimmer
Jun 28, 2008
In my experience pilsner's are pretty homogeneous. Someone feel free to recommend something to prove me wrong.

Psyched about the Miller sponsorship though. Wish Tecate would come back too, I liked the livery.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

KingShibby posted:

I am the world's least qualified voice on anything alcohol-related. It all tastes foul to me.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

KingShibby posted:

IOwnCalculus posted:

I am the world's least qualified voice on anything alcohol-related. It all tastes foul to me.

It is just ok, as are most pilsners. Even the Flat 12 guys aren't interested in it, but it was one of those things that just needed to exist, so there it is. They do have some good to great beer (like the 12th, Lacto-Matic, and Cucumber Kolsch), though and the sandwich counter in their building makes great food for a decent price.

The real deal in beer in Indy right now is Central State. They distribute out of a bar called The Koelschip. A Well Polished Sword is their latest release and is an excellent imperial stout with orange. Their Lazer Raptor is the best sour I've ever had.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

As a person with the most basic-rear end taste in beer I feel like Hammerdown would suit me perfectly. I'm gonna have to grab some when I'm in town for the 400.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

kidcoelacanth posted:

As a person with the most basic-rear end taste in beer I feel like Hammerdown would suit me perfectly. I'm gonna have to grab some when I'm in town for the 400.

It probably will, but I'm not sure how it stacks up value-wise compared to the rest of the pilsner market. It likely isn't but I'm not going to discourage anyone from buying beer from a brewery as cool as Flat 12.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

lol Cucumber Kolsch is trash. I got some a few years ago and it foamed up as soon as you drank it.

Pour in mouth, all foam.

Full Collapse
Dec 4, 2002

Triton Brewing Company is where it's at.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Pvt. Public posted:

It probably will, but I'm not sure how it stacks up value-wise compared to the rest of the pilsner market. It likely isn't but I'm not going to discourage anyone from buying beer from a brewery as cool as Flat 12.

The can design alone is rad enough that it's worth it for that.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

Minto Took posted:

lol Cucumber Kolsch is trash. I got some a few years ago and it foamed up as soon as you drank it.

Pour in mouth, all foam.

It probably got shaken up in shipping or something. I just had a couple last weekend when I was in town visiting and didn't have any issues.

Minto Took posted:

Triton Brewing Company is where it's at.

I love their French Toast Saison and all of their sours are good to very good. Their regular lineup is a little boring for me, but I haven't ever had one that I would call bad.

As much as I love beer (a lot!), New Day is still my favorite place to visit in Indy. I cannot get enough Breakfast Magpie in my life. And their barrel-aged variants are always killer.

kidcoelacanth posted:

The can design alone is rad enough that it's worth it for that.

Agreed. They do have pretty good designs, all told.

Pvt. Public fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Feb 20, 2017

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Derani to test with SSM for their third car: http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138274-derani-set-for-sebring-indycar-test-with-spm

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

Well poo poo I didn't think he'd jump to Indycar. Thought he'd get a manufacture P1 drive but hey I'll take it. And probably an answer on that SMP money not coming in thanks to Flynn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Juncos story confirmed, will enter 2 cars in the 500. One very likely for Kyle Kaiser, other seat open for someone with money.

http://www.racer.com/indycar/item/138277-juncos-confirms-indycar-series-entry

• Locked thread