Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I have just had it pointed out to me that I used the wrong picture for my preferred battle deployment. Is there any point in me posting what I actually meant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Hunt11 posted:

I have just had it pointed out to me that I used the wrong picture for my preferred battle deployment. Is there any point in me posting what I actually meant?

For the observer thread, yes.

For the battle, no.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

This doesn't look good for the 98th but that is not going to stop me from running in there trying to stab everyone in town.

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So this was my intended set up.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Well, it will be frustrating if they slip out of our grasp, but we still have three brigades advancing on Baguette, there will be sharp fighting there soon enough. While the fighting is going on there, an order can be sent to the reserves to advance on Pasteur ridge. The 54th is going to be in for a world of hurt, though.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Good Job!

Also I'm so proud of myself for nagging the logistics staffs about the tells for three of the four possible deployment zones the enemy could have and totally forgetting to account for the fourth!

I'm just hoping that I drop into artillerizing position right then and there, we could use some ranged support fires right about now. May as well cover my opposite number in some glory.

Just to be sure, glory is to soldiers what preserves and jam are to fruit, right?

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 17, 2017

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!

my dad posted:

Predictions:

6th Division mostly just sits there and does nothing because of overcaution, primarily to be blamed on me. Causes a lot of panic among the German team because of what could have been, but is a huge wasted opportunity. The Germans will redeploy into combat stance in safety, unless they're specifically ordered to march into Croissant from the East, no matter what happens. Maybe they'll bayonet charge into our defensive formations, but I doubt it. Hilarious for the observer thread, no doubt, either way.

22nd Division shells the crap out of anyone trying to to enter Croissant from the East, but fails to capitalize on the West because of a deployment error and incomplete orders.

We are at serious risk of losing the game if the enemy objective is Quatreprouts because we've got nothing on Dejeneur ridge. The cavalry debacle may prove to be a saving grace since it may be possible to send them to secure it.

We are in an advantageous position to move in NE, :sever: their telegraph, and block their roads.

Some of this is me looking at the entire board and thinking what to do, but I can send the reserves to flank them as soon as I'm notified of the sighting to the North. I'll have to wait for notification to arrive from the cavalry runner in order to tell them what to do because *don't know* what's going on there until they do.

I am open to suggestions about what is to be done. Please take into account 8-10 turns of delay plus orders-related clusterfuck between input and output here.

I think (based on how some orders are interpreted) 6th is going to be in a really strong position to dictate german behavior. They can't ignore a division strength formation on their southern flank. the trick will be to make sure we don't overcompensate for our perfectly reasonable caution and charge onto german lines, especially with their superiority in machine guns. if 22nd is able to re-orient and bring their attacking brigades into a line between the boche and the SW corner that should ease your concern in that regard.

the boldest move would be to rush 6e cav to Faibleimpot along the W edge and win the game that way, but I don't like the associated risks.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

sullat posted:

Well, it will be frustrating if they slip out of our grasp, but we still have three brigades advancing on Baguette, there will be sharp fighting there soon enough. While the fighting is going on there, an order can be sent to the reserves to advance on Pasteur ridge. The 54th is going to be in for a world of hurt, though.

Not Pasteur Ridge. Enemy communication lines. Hug the edges of the map and cut that poo poo up.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

the boldest move would be to rush 6e cav to Faibleimpot along the W edge and win the game that way, but I don't like the associated risks.

Where's the combo of :mil101: and :eng99: when you need it?

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

For those watching at home, I made some chits to move around the roll20 map for planning purposes of our commanders.

I had to make a new one for bicycles because I honestly did not expect bicycles for some reason.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

xthetenth posted:

Where's the combo of :mil101: and :eng99: when you need it?

Once we hear back from the plane, we can send the cav that way.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

no-one expects bicycles

also the roll 20 is currently playing ambient ww1 noises

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

there's a lovely continuous series of reactions as people come online and realize exactly how hosed the cluster is

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

thatbastardken posted:

there's a lovely continuous series of reactions as people come online and realize exactly how hosed the cluster is

Oh, also.

Bottles of Chardonnay Purple to the Staff

Loel fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Feb 17, 2017

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

thatbastardken posted:

And I'm the only one who lost stuff so far!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

I was rereading the thread, and I want to point out that we had this prepped for on page 5 :D

You can see the broad strokes even here.

Aww yiss look at that prep work.

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Mutiny!?! More like "reinterpreted orders"

Trin Tragula posted:

That's a full-size image for y'all to chew over while I get some sleep. To be continued! edit: just noticed that a bunch of stuff is turned off, I'll fix it, LATER

PS: Division headquarters arrived without mishap and are now connected by telephone to Corps HQ. Neither is eligible to send any runners yet.

I assume the 75mm and 155mm guns in 97th and 99th Brigades, the Engineers in 99th, and the Cav in 97th are one of the things that got switched off?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Marching formation doesn't show attached units. Works for both sides.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

my dad posted:

Predictions:

6th Division mostly just sits there and does nothing because of overcaution, primarily to be blamed on me. Causes a lot of panic among the German team because of what could have been, but is a huge wasted opportunity. The Germans will redeploy into combat stance in safety, unless they're specifically ordered to march into Croissant from the East, no matter what happens. Maybe they'll bayonet charge into our defensive formations, but I doubt it. Hilarious for the observer thread, no doubt, either way.

22nd Division shells the crap out of anyone trying to to enter Croissant from the East, but fails to capitalize on the West because of a deployment error and incomplete orders.

We are at serious risk of losing the game if the enemy objective is Quatreprouts because we've got nothing on Dejeneur ridge. The cavalry debacle may prove to be a saving grace since it may be possible to send them to secure it.

We are in an advantageous position to move in NE, :sever: their telegraph, and block their roads.

I am tremendously concerned.

thatbastardken posted:

I think (based on how some orders are interpreted) 6th is going to be in a really strong position to dictate german behavior. They can't ignore a division strength formation on their southern flank. the trick will be to make sure we don't overcompensate for our perfectly reasonable caution and charge onto german lines, especially with their superiority in machine guns. if 22nd is able to re-orient and bring their attacking brigades into a line between the boche and the SW corner that should ease your concern in that regard.

6th division is largely unable to actually hurt the boche, save for 55e Brigade. The good news is that I'm pretty sure they are on "march onto ST.C at all costs orders, and they won't be able to stop sullat's brigade from setting up artillery and hitting them with 9 guns at once.

Additionally, 99th is going to be ready to hit the Eastern road into St. C very soon, and that's another 9 guns hitting marching soldiers.

At the same time, or orders are pretty weird too, and I'm pretty sure 98th Brigade are the deadest brigade.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

Cas Pourpe, An official French history of the battle of Saint Croissant posted:

Much has been made of the acrimonious staff college meetings between General Mon Pere and his subordinates Bacarette and Tebeka prior to the battle, with each preferring differing degrees of offensive action and lines of attack. While Mon Pere's insistence on putting forces on La Cote was clearly key to the position the 4th Corp found themselves in in the early hours of the battle, arguments still rage about the deployment of the cavalry brigade, or whether the 6th division should have been prepared to immediately pursue the forces they unexpectedly encountered.

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

quote:

At the same time, or orders are pretty weird too, and I'm pretty sure 98th Brigade are the deadest brigade.

What are you talking about? The 98th will march into St. Croissants as artillery destroys everything around us, and we will emerge unscathed with the blood of a thousand enemies dripping from our bayonets.

That is what I told my men anyway.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

The bigger problem was that the cavalry simply wasn't looking east of Croissant. The deployment would've skipped to Merde otherwise.

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

I am tremendously concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GeEMiW1vMvU&t=122s

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

So, it occurs to me that the Germans have continued marching despite unquestionably sighting us on La Cote. This can only mean good things for Loel and his brigade of bloodthirsty artillerymen, who are poised to bombard an entire German division as they rush into St. Croissant.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

So, it occurs to me that the Germans have continued marching despite unquestionably sighting us on La Cote. This can only mean good things for Loel and his brigade of bloodthirsty artillerymen, who are poised to bombard an entire German division as they rush into St. Croissant.

This is the best day of my life :3:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I would like the record to show that Loel is on the Clemenceau highlands instead of wandering over to La Oeuf because I pointed out how quickly the enemy could reach St Croissant and the dangers of them entrenching there :colbert:

Bacarruda, in reply to my post posted:

Then we need a brigade with artillery on the hill covering things. As soon as the Boche open fire -- our overwatch will be able to hit anyone in the village.

(look I'm about to do a glorious bayonet charge into a completely empty forest, I need to grab whatever glory I can)

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Tehan posted:

I would like the record to show that Loel is on the Clemenceau highlands instead of wandering over to La Oeuf because I pointed out how quickly the enemy could reach St Croissant and the dangers of them entrenching there :colbert:

(look I'm about to do a glorious bayonet charge into a completely empty forest, I need to grab whatever glory I can)

I assure you, you will get the finest footnotes postdocs can write o7

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

I will probably be the subject of many a postdoc's crack at a hot take.

"While his paranoia was certainly useful for the corps' consideration of their strategy it is also a likely factor in why on the fateful morning, he was too drunk and tired to look east of St. Croissant"

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarruda

I place a telephone call.

"General Mon Pere, everything continues as planned. I hear machine gun and rifle fire from Le Croissant. Probably the Boche engaging 6th CAVALRY BRIGADE. Unlikely that they will be able to take FRAISE-CHAMPS FARM as hoped. Cavalry likely falling back. Will give you updated information when their runners arrive.

22nd DIVISION infantry brigades are continuing their attack operations as planned.

Am considering sending 97th BRIGADE'S cavalry squadron to scout FAIBLEMPOT. Also would like 97th BRIGADE to rush to DEJUENNER RIDGE and set up its artillery faster than planed since it appears undefended. Your thoughts, sir?

If you agree to these changes and give me orders to make the alterations - I will send runners to my brigade commanders to carry them out."

Bacarruda fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Feb 17, 2017

AbortRetryFail
Jan 17, 2007

No more Mr. Nice Gaius

In case anyone didn't catch this, this enemy brigade's formation does not match what we know of the standard marching order, but I'm not sure why they would set their formation up like this with the command company directly behind the MGs if they entered battle order.

AbortRetryFail fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Feb 17, 2017

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Woah I did not expect to wake up to that. Will hang out in the roll20 when at work, but my dad the 119th stands absolutely ready to strike at the supply lines of the Hun!

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Hunt11 posted:

So this was my intended set up.

Post a new set of orders in the thread -- Trin should let you change formation at this point.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Bacarruda posted:

Post a new set of orders in the thread -- Trin should let you change formation at this point.

No.

Trin Tragula posted:

you may only issue a Change of Orders when a Runner arrives at BHQ from Divisional HQ.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

That counts as a Change of Orders, yes.

The adjudication resumes at some point this afternoon.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

when I can I change my hq orders? that ridge is looking a little shaky to trust my drinks cabinet to it

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

6th div standing orders by brigade:

52e posted:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Keep moving along original path
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Pursue the enemy
Break Off automatically when: 2/3 casualties are taken

53e posted:

When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation if the enemy is in artillery range
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire.
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Hold position

54e posted:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue
Break Off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

55e posted:

When sighting an enemy on attack stance, switch to defend.
When attacking an enemy use rifle fire.
When an enemy company breaks off, do not pursue.
Break off at 1/2 casualties.

119e posted:

Rifles:
Dig in, fire on any enemy target in range
Engineers:
Dig in, deploy barbed wire NE-SW along the infantry line. Free to restock when necessary.
75mms:
Fire on any enemy target on Pasteur ridge, or along the road line along the ridge. IF enemy is present in these positions, fire until enemy is no longer present. IF enemy is elsewhere, fire provisional on brigade HQ orders.
ALL: IF enemy targets are on Le Cote before we arrive, 75mm guns open fire, all ranks fix bayonets and charge.

120e posted:

When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break Off automatically when: Fight to the last man

Bacarruda
Mar 30, 2011

Général de Division Bacarrette

Standing Orders for 22nd Division
96th Brigade: Tehan
Break off automatically when: 3/4 casualties are taken

97th Brigade: Hunt11
Artillery when firing: Fire until there is nothing left in sight then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has support.: Fire at anything approaching the artillery then wait for further orders.
Infantry in artillery dual when enemy artillery has no support. Move forwards to finish of artillery before retreating back to the unit.
Cavalry sightin an enemy on Attack stance: Fall back to the Brigade and support further operations
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Do not pursue.
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken.

98th Brigade: AbortRetryFail
When attacking the enemy: Use bayonet charge
Break off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken

99th Brigade: Loel
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle / MG / artillery fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Fire from dug in positions, artillery fire support

6th Cavalry Brigade(+): xthetenth
When sighting an enemy on Attack stance: Drop to Defensive stance and take up formation
When attacking the enemy: Use rifle/mg/arty fire
When an enemy company Breaks Off or Retreats Suppressed: Hold position
Break Off automatically when: 1/2 casualties are taken Should I raise the threshold to 2/3rds so I can regroup as I choose?

Auto-send runners in these situations:
If you take ˝ casualties
Opening fire
Break Off or Suppressed Retreat
Failed Morale check
Complete your orders
Kill or capture an enemy runner
(can/should I send them if I spot enemies in one of the positions that would confirm their start location?)

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
So can I at least assume that my artillery and/or infantry will move to such a position so that they can actually shoot?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

:siren: Turn 7 has ended. It is 1000. Update to come ASAP. Both divisions, stand by to give new orders pending final adjudication. :siren:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
Omigosh. It's like Christmas. Is there going to be a pile of dead Germans under the tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

Units with a red dot on them have been killed and are removed at the start of the next turn. Units with a white dot have been suppressed; they cannot move or fire unless they rally at the end of a turn. Unless, that is, they've been forced to retreat suppressed, in which case they run away for two turns and then are suppressed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9b9UhFe6Eg

Turn 5: 0900
German initiative

Your cavalry puts itself into Battle Order and rallies round its shaking heart for another wallop at Saint Croissant.

It seems pretty obvious what the Germans are going to do. The question is, how will your men react?

One of your 75s on La Cote unlimbers and takes a pot-shot at the rear of the large train marching on Baguende; it hits. (The loss will appear when the brigade goes to Battle Order.)

Turn 6: 0930
German initiative

So then this happens.

Your regular brigades on La Cote, their initial orders complete and La Cote well and truly taken, proceed to march on Baguette. Except there are other brigades in their way. So they have to go off to the north to avoid bumping their mates. And then march on Baguette. The Germans are not amused by this development, not one tiny bit.

Most of your units on the map have either moved too far, or are still unlimbering, or are MGs who moved, so it's almost entirely rifle fire in this corner; it's bloody enough, with kills and suppressions on both sides. You also now have two 75s firing on La Cote, and they combine to kill a German FK as it flails around trying to unlimber.

Over in the west, by the way, you have a brigade in Clemenceau that cannot get anywhere because the road is being comprehensively fouled by the units ahead of it. I flipped a coin to decide whether it would go into Battle Order and leave the road or wait for the jam to clear; it elects to wait.

Turn 7: 1000
German initiative

So then this happened.

I consult my orders and find a pleasing number of people have standing orders for a bayonet charge. Your western chargers did have trouble getting going on account of a German counter-charge, but a few of them made it in anyway; there's also duelling charges in the east.

Then the German machine guns start to fire, and that's the end of the western charge. The Eastern charge, however, succeeds; and while your own MGs do sterling work, it is clear that before the war the Germans have been investing far more resources into this technology.

The 55th benefits greatly from having switched to Defend as it attempts to repel the charge, but there are just too many enemies to shoot them all down.

The Eastern charges strike home; individual companies are forced to retreat suppressed on both sides. At the end of the turn...

Guess what? The Germans have now mostly finished unlimbering their guns. There's something to think on over the weekend.

OK, let's talk runners! At this precise moment 6th Division's HQ is about 3/4 of the way to Baguende, as ordered. One runner will arrive to meet it on Turn 8 and two more on Turn 9. 6th Division may send out up to two runners on Turn 8.

22nd Division's HQ remains at Clemenceau. It received three runners on Turn 7. It may send two runners out on Turn 8 and three more on Turn 9.

:siren: Soft deadline for fresh orders is 12 noon next Monday 20th February. Have fun! :siren:

Next Time: Boom Boom Boom Boom, Boom Boom Boom

Trin Tragula fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Feb 18, 2017

• Locked thread