Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
been looking around twitter for amusing stupid poo poo.
found a bunch from this "culture critique"
https://twitter.com/imransiddiquee/status/832310965995765762

https://twitter.com/imransiddiquee/status/831163849793482752

https://twitter.com/hausmuva/status/831661882041856001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

turning beyonce into this goddess like figure annoys the hell out of me.

I really wish some of the motown/rn'b types were getting the sort of worship back in the day...seriously people like Aretha, Laballe, Summers, and Ross were loving amazing. I'm sure I'm just scratching the surface of awesome women in that genre too.
'

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

not a single thing that bad_dominicana has ever tweeted, said, or shat out can be described as "accurate." also i hate the mealy-mouthed criticism that the word "mediocre" entails. just say it sucks, don't beat around the bush

breaklaw
May 12, 2008
I would actually pay a decent amount of money to know what Melania really thinks.

https://twitter.com/mmpadellan/status/832420485874978816

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

get that OUT of my face posted:

not a single thing that bad_dominicana has ever tweeted, said, or shat out can be described as "accurate." also i hate the mealy-mouthed criticism that the word "mediocre" entails. just say it sucks, don't beat around the bush

https://twitter.com/bad_dominicana/status/832415579659173892

https://twitter.com/bad_dominicana/status/832412109292072969

Some of this reads like a parody.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

"say it loud, i'm 300 lbs and i'm proud"

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

breaklaw posted:

I would actually pay a decent amount of money to know what Melania really thinks.

its not like she married him because she genuinely loves him

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Office Surprise Store posted:

a devastating opening salvo: Actually, I Am Calm, And You Are Melting Down

*backs away from ring, throws some more salt and stomps around*

I think you will find, that You're Mad, Bro

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
So is the Beyonce thing any more complicated than "she didn't win, and that's inherently racist"

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

call to action posted:

So is the Beyonce thing any more complicated than "she didn't win, and that's inherently racist"

I think the issue of african american, asian american, LGBT, etc not getting recognition at various awards shows is a valid criticism. There's more than likely a lot of minority performers that are very talented and don't get the recognition they deserve.

At the same time? The Grammy's themselves are trivial and dumb. Along with the Emmy's, Oscar's, etc. I'm trying not to sound like someone dropping a "hot take " here , but why does this bother people ? Beyonce has been universally praised by the media (mainstream, social) and any sort of criticism for her has been from the Tomi Lahren's of the world who people do not take seriously.

I think about the last time I saw a music critic rip her music was when Todd in the Shadows ripped apart "Single Ladies", Diva", and "Naughty Girl" back like 3-4 years ago. Since then it's been radio silent.

FuzzySkinner has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Feb 17, 2017

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

breaklaw posted:

Proud papa. political junkie, #StillWithHer, #Feminist. #TheResistance, movie/music lover, comic book nerd. Follow4follow. #NotMyPresident. EVER.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

I think the issue of african american, asian american, LGBT, etc not getting recognition at various awards shows is a valid criticism. There's more than likely a lot of minority performers that are very talented and don't get the recognition they deserve.

At the same time? The Grammy's themselves are trivial and dumb. Along with the Emmy's, Oscar's, etc. I'm trying not to sound like someone dropping a "hot take " here , but why does this bother people ? Beyonce has been universally praised by the media (mainstream, social) and any sort of criticism for her has been from the Tomi Lahren's of the world who people do not take seriously.

I think about the last time I saw a music critic rip her music was when Todd in the Shadows ripped apart "Single Ladies", Diva", and "Naughty Girl" back like 3-4 years ago. Since then it's been radio silent.

yeah lol at everyone mad at the grammies. surely beyonce, one of the biggest popstars in the world who sells out concerts whenever they are held, is torn up about not recieving an useless award that gets made fun of by other useless awards.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

DoctorGonzo posted:

Proud papa. political junkie, #StillWithHer, #Feminist. #TheResistance, movie/music lover, comic book nerd. Follow4follow. #NotMyPresident. EVER.

I think we all assumed all of that based on "BrooklynDad"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

more than 20 years ago The Simpsons made a joke saying that the Grammys are garbage. we were a more enlightened society back then

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

more than 20 years ago The Simpsons made a joke saying that the Grammys are garbage. we were a more enlightened society back then

1988 they gave out the first "hard rock/heavy metal album of the year" award.

The choices were:
-Blow Up Your Video by AC/DC
-Cold Metal by Iggy Pop
-Nothing's Shocking by Jane's Addiction,
- ...And Justice for All by Metallica

And "Crest of a Knave" by Jethro Tull.

Guns N' Roses's album "Appetite for Destruction" was NOT nominated. Nor were records by "Megadeth", "Suicidal Tendencies", "Living Colour", "Ozzy Osbourne" and others. Now any idiot would have been able to just stumble upon a great record out of that mix (I personally would go with Jane's Addiction). The Grammy's went with Jethro loving Tull.

Any idiot knows to not bother with this crap. But here we are.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

FuzzySkinner posted:

The choices were:
-Cold Metal by Iggy Pop

Guns N' Roses's album "Appetite for Destruction" was NOT nominated. Nor were records by "Megadeth", "Suicidal Tendencies", "Living Colour", "Ozzy Osbourne" and others. Now any idiot would have been able to just stumble upon a great record out of that mix (I personally would go with Jane's Addiction). The Grammy's went with Jethro loving Tull.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

democrats whine about bernie calling them out for killing the drug reimportation amendment
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hta3t8k1aQ

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

http://thehill.com/homenews/senate/319345-schumer-tries-to-keep-the-peace-as-sanders-speaks-out

quote:

Schumer tries to keep the peace as Sanders speaks out

Sen. Charles Schumer (D-N.Y.) is trying to keep the peace in the Senate Democratic Caucus, as Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) aggressive effort to push the party left is giving some colleagues heartburn.

The Senate minority leader convened a meeting last month between Sanders, a liberal stalwart, and a group of Democrats Sanders criticized for voting against an amendment he co-wrote to lower the cost of prescription drugs by allowing their importation from Canada.

One lawmaker described the atmosphere in the room as “frustrated.”
Sanders’s colleagues complained about an interview he gave to USA Today, a newspaper with the nation’s third-highest circulation, in which he said some Democrats lacked “guts” because they were unwilling to stand up to the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America, one of the most influential associations in the nation’s capital.

He said it was “disappointing” that 13 Senate Democrats didn’t “stand up to powerful special interests like the pharmaceutical industry.” His public comments were especially offensive because Schumer tapped Sanders to serve on his leadership team in November, appointing him to serve as chairman of outreach.

Reaching out to rile up activists against fellow Democratic senators, however, is not what the leader had in mind.

“You cannot do that if you’re in the leadership,” said one senator who did not approve of Sanders’s tactics and requested anonymity to speak frankly.

Democrats who voted against the amendment said it would not have imposed adequate safety standards for imported drugs. The group of 13 Democrats included Joe Donnelly (Ind.), Heidi Heitkamp (N.D.), Jon Tester (Mont.) and Mark Warner (Va.).

Meanwhile, a dozen Republicans backed Sanders’s measure, including Sens. Ted Cruz (Texas), Chuck Grassley (Iowa) and John McCain (Ariz.).

Sanders told colleagues at the meeting that he did not intend to inflict any political damage but declined to apologize for his policy positions, according to a source familiar with the meeting.

New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (D), who hails from a state that includes many drug companies, suffered the biggest backlash. That immediately prompted speculation that Sanders and the amendment’s lead co-sponsor, Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-Minn.), might have been motivated by future presidential political considerations.

Booker and Klobuchar are viewed as two possible presidential candidates in 2020, and Sanders, who is 75 years old, hasn’t ruled out another run after losing the 2016 nomination to Hillary Clinton.

Democratic sources say Schumer convened the meeting not only to salve rankled feelings but also to send a message to the Vermont senator: Play nice with others.

Sanders declined to comment on the meeting when asked about it by The Hill but noted that he is working with colleagues on new legislation intended to reduce drug costs, and he plans to introduce it soon. However, sources say he seemed chastened afterward. One Democratic senator said Sanders kept relatively quiet at the next two caucus meetings, where he is usually a voluble presence.

Democratic aides say Sanders is trying to fit into his new role as a powerful influence on Capitol Hill who has the ability to mobilize millions of supporters of his 2016 presidential campaign.

Schumer was careful not to create the impression that Democrats were ganging up on Sanders. He invited fellow liberal Sen. Jeff Merkley (D-Ore.) to sit in on the session, even though Merkley really had no part in the tiff.

The situation was made more awkward by the fact that Sanders is not a member of the Democratic Party, even though he caucuses with Democratic senators.

Schumer has had to walk a fine line this year, as Democrats are running for reelection in 10 states that President Trump carried in last year’s election — five of them by double digits.

Schumer wants to give lawmakers in those states flexibility to vote their conscience without upsetting the party’s liberal base, which wants to see Democrats in Washington fight Trump over just about everything.

There are early signs that liberal activists are prepared to pummel lawmakers who cooperate with Trump and that those who do could face primary challenges. Protesters drowned out liberal Sen. Sheldon Whitehouse (D-R.I.) at a town hall meeting two weeks ago, yelling “Just say no!” and “Obstruct!” after he voted to confirm Mike Pompeo, Trump’s pick for CIA director, The Associated Press reported.

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.), who is beloved by the party’s base, has even taken some heat for supporting Ben Carson as secretary of Housing and Urban Development.

Liberal filmmaker and activist Michael Moore warned this month that Democrats who vote for Trump’s Supreme Court nominee, Neil Gorsuch, will likely face a “true progressive” primary challenger in the future. This has created a climate of anxiety in the Democratic caucus as some fear a wrong vote on Trump’s agenda could spur candidates to challenge them from the left in the midterms.

The key to avoiding internecine warfare is to keep Sanders, along with other prominent liberals such as Warren, happy — or at least persuade him not to attack Democrats as Republicans-lite, Senate Democratic sources say.

Schumer has adopted stronger rhetoric since the day after Trump’s Election Day victory, when he was talking about finding common ground with the incoming president.

The Democratic leader has also embraced Sanders’s calls to hold rallies around the country protesting the repeal of ObamaCare.

Schumer helped Sanders organize pro-ObamaCare rallies around the nation on Jan. 15, which a senior Democratic aide touted as a major success. On Saturday, the two called for another round of events nationwide.

One Democratic aide said there’s a feeling, however, that Sanders is roping Democrats into sponsoring legislation and attending events that may not be at the top of their priority lists. While polls show approval for ObamaCare increasing, holding a public rally to tout the controversial law may not make the best politics at this time.

Sanders argues that if Democrats take a strong stand behind proposals that help the working class, the politics will work out favorably.

But playing a little hardball with colleagues may help get Sanders what he wants. Booker is working with him on the new legislation to reduce drug costs by allowing for importation.
:qq:

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

hillary clinton is so jowly she might be played by a british actress

Judi Dench to be specific

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief

Darkman Fanpage posted:

its not like she married him because she genuinely loves him

right, but the deal is that she was supposed to at least pretend that she does, and she is currently so bad at that, it's pure comic gold

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

FuzzySkinner posted:

The choices were:
-Cold Metal by Iggy Pop

Lars thanking Jethro Tull for not releasing a new album in his acceptance speech in 1991 (or '92?) is still hilarious.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Bernie Sanders will root out the nonbelievers.

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Beyonce is think-piece factory and most people I know were/are fans. But even they feel like its dumb that an artist with 22 grammies needs the album of the year to be validated.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747

temple posted:

Beyonce is think-piece factory and most people I know were/are fans. But even they feel like its dumb that an artist with 22 grammies needs the album of the year to be validated.

what did you do for that avatar?

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet

spit on my clit posted:

what did you do for that avatar?

post blacklivesmatter

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Adele's album was better and the Grammy's are for retards anyway. If you care about industry award shows you should be put into a cage.

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/LukewSavage/status/833058852115472385

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

poor Huma :(

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

jesus, they still don't get it and i actually think mckinnon is funny.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Honestly they (i.e. democratic politicians) probably do get it. They just want to continue the same crony politics that have enriched themselves and their donors. Progressive politics undermines this, so what's even in it for them? They're basically crossing their fingers that the farcical pendulum of american politics will swing back their way to save them from their current corncobbing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

comedyblissoption posted:

Honestly they (i.e. democratic politicians) probably do get it. They just want to continue the same crony politics that have enriched themselves and their donors. Progressive politics undermines this, so what's even in it for them? They're basically crossing their fingers that the farcical pendulum of american politics will swing back their way to save them from their current corncobbing.

They are probably right tbqh, And yea they don't give a gently caress progressive policies.

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

Also if the democratic party ever starts embracing progressive politics, almost the entire wealthy donor class and their control of the media is going to be arrayed heavily against them. They would lose all their current patronage and would have to rely on crowdfunding.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

comedyblissoption posted:

Also if the democratic party ever starts embracing progressive politics, almost the entire wealthy donor class and their control of the media is going to be arrayed heavily against them. They would lose all their current patronage and would have to rely on crowdfunding.
it is absolutely perfect dramatic irony (the only kind of irony still alive) that the democrats are so afraid of actual democracy

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

losing with literally a 2:1 spend advantage against loving donald trump might lose them their patronage anyways

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

https://twitter.com/mekosoff/status/833320414382276608

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i thought "punching down" was a mortal sin in internet comedy. practice what you preach, maya

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i thought "punching down" was a mortal sin in internet comedy. practice what you preach, maya

steven miller is in the white house so now their fair game :getin:

passionate dongs
May 23, 2001

Snitchin' is Bitchin'

is it punching down if i say you are dumb rear end for thinking that this trump voting silicon valley dude is disenfranchised in some way

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
http://hewillnotdivide.us/

ITS BACK BOYS

currently there's a woman with a sharpie mustache talking to the camera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FuzzySkinner
May 23, 2012

https://twitter.com/nytimesbusiness/status/833379399483396097

Liberal media my rear end.

• Locked thread