Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Junkozeyne posted:

I miss the days when people called 'fake news' lies and propaganda instead of pretending that this is some new thing that only started like a year ago. Especially when the media complains about it and is just as happy to contrast some scientific report with the 'opinion' of some shithead and pretend like it's somehow equivalent.

I think it initially sprung up as a specific form of news-shaped lies-for-clicks with a profit rather than political motive. Then it's marketing strategies got adopted and weaponised by more traditional political propagandists. So it was (and sometimes still is) something unique that requires its own specific term, but it also overlaps with a lot of more familiar and established stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Depressingly revealing final question on Question Time tonight: 'Would you add Vitamin D to food?'

Despite being politicians not scientists, and clearly knowing gently caress-all about the health effects of Vitamin D or the practicalities of adding it to food, nearly all panellists had a punt at answering the question. Pretty much sums up why politics is so poo poo.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
What were their answers?

A lot of basic food like bread and milk and cereal used to be fortified with vitamins B and D as part of the drive to eliminate pellagra and rickets, which it did a good job at. Now those diseases are coming back, admittedly in small numbers, but it's still something to be avoided.

Possibly by, idk, ensuring people can afford a proper diet in the first place, but is there a case against fortifying white bread?

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

LemonDrizzle posted:

Well, they aren't legal tender so the wide-eyed starers aren't completely wrong...

Interestingly enough, English banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Northern Ireland, and shops don't have to accept legal tender in any case.

Cerv posted:

Remember even Diane Abbott sent her kids to private school. You're going to get awfully lonely up there on your high horse taking such a hardline against these things

I don't think it's come up yet, but the reason Diane Abbott got such flack for sending her son to private school was that she made a point of attacking other politicians for doing so.

I'd share opinions expressed earlier, that it's understandable for a politician to want the best for their child, but I have very little sympathy with one who scored political points attacking others for doing so.

Edit: On a completely random tangent, is there anyone familiar with Scots who knows what 'priens' are?

As in "I'll buy you a pennyworth o' priens" in this song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQPyEKlWNMs

Can't seem to google up a definition.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Feb 17, 2017

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Interestingly enough, English banknotes aren't legal tender in Scotland or Northern Ireland, and shops don't have to accept legal tender in any case.
I don't know about NI, but nothing is legal tender in Scotland, except some coins for small debts. The two main private banks don't have any greater weight behind their notes than a banker's draft, but everyone manages to function.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
I think we should have more atomic energized foods

Like pink grapefruit.

IIRC the whole "legal tender" thing is bullshit and no salesman is obligated to sell you anything, at anytime, for any price (in english or scottish sterling, or anything else for that matter). No one "has to" accept any note. There is no effect on the party's right of refusal of service.

No one in England has to accept Scottish money.

Rakosi fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 17, 2017

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Guavanaut posted:

What were their answers?

A lot of basic food like bread and milk and cereal used to be fortified with vitamins B and D as part of the drive to eliminate pellagra and rickets, which it did a good job at. Now those diseases are coming back, admittedly in small numbers, but it's still something to be avoided.

Possibly by, idk, ensuring people can afford a proper diet in the first place, but is there a case against fortifying white bread?

Various bullshit ranging from 'we should definitely do it (but I can't say why)' to 'people can buy supplements if they want it, don't put it in food'. They didn't say the clearly correct answer, which is that it depends on the evidence and politicians should do what scientists tell them on these matters.

Also Blair is going to make a speech about how we should stay in the EU. He also reveals what he would be doing about immigration if he was in charge:

Tony Blair posted:

There is, in some parts of the country, a genuine concern about numbers from Europe – real pressures on services and wages. But for many people, the core of the immigration question – and one which I fully accept is a substantial issue – is immigration from non-European countries especially when from different cultures in which assimilation and potential security threats can be an issue.

Yep, shift all the blame onto immigrants from non-EU countries!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Tony Blair in 'hates brown people' shocker.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Fair play to Tony, most racists just shout abuse or beat someone up, he helped blow up the middle east.

Rakosi
May 5, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
NO-QUARTERMASTER

From the river (of Palestinian blood) to the sea (of Palestinian tears)
It's not really a shocker in that he is right that people across the country find that an issue.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Rakosi posted:

IIRC the whole "legal tender" thing is bullshit and no salesman is obligated to sell you anything, at anytime, for any price (in english or scottish sterling, or anything else for that matter). No one "has to" accept any note.
Google is, like, magic:

http://edu.bankofengland.co.uk/knowledgebank/what-is-legal-tender/

quote:

What is legal tender?
Legal tender has a very narrow and technical meaning, which relates to settling debts. It means that if you are in debt to someone then you can’t be sued for non-payment if you offer full payment of your debts in legal tender.
What is classed as legal tender varies throughout the UK. In England and Wales, legal tender is Royal Mint coins and Bank of England notes. In Scotland and Northern Ireland only Royal Mint coins are legal tender. Throughout the UK, there are some restrictions when using the lower value coins as legal tender. For example, 1p and 2p coins only count as legal tender for any amount up to 20p.

What is not legal tender?
There are many acceptable payment methods which aren’t technically legal tender. This is why the term ‘legal tender’ has little use in ordinary everyday transactions.
Most shops accept payment by debit or credit card, and some accept cheques and contactless payments. These are safe and convenient ways to pay, despite not being classed as legal tender.
The same is true for Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes. Seven banks in Scotland and Northern Ireland are authorised to issue banknotes. These notes make up the majority of banknotes in Scotland and Northern Ireland and legislation is in place to ensure that noteholders have a similar level of protection as they would for Bank of England notes. Despite this, Scottish and Northern Ireland banknotes are not classified as legal tender anywhere in the UK. Equally, Bank of England notes are not legal tender in Scotland and Northern Ireland.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

legal tender fraud: its illegal to use to legal tender

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

Rakosi posted:

It's not really a shocker in that he is right that people across the country find that an issue.

He's so desperate to try and keep us in the EU he's fallen back on saying immigration from non-EU countries represents a security risk. There's no doubt were he actually in a position of power he would say/do anything to get what he wants, including actually parroting Trump talking points.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
blair has some gall saying that people were misled into brexit.

pot kettle black and all that

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
What if the only way to stop the Tories from destroying the NHS is to turn against immigrants?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

hakimashou posted:

What if the only way to stop the Tories from destroying the NHS is to turn against immigrants?

What if you got out of the thread forever?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Paxman posted:

People who think about ethics and morality have generally tended to accept that human beings tend not to act in a moral or ethical way. It's not a strange argument that destroys morality, it's often the starting point for a debate about morality.

If we could see what was moral simply by looking at how people actually behave already, there wouldn't be thousands of years of debate about it.

So for example, you might say that to see what a moral or just or ethical society should look like, you have to imagine what an impartial observer would think was just. Or, a variation on the theme, you might imagine a person who knows that they will be part of a society but does not know what their place will be - who does not know "his class position or social status; nor does he know his fortune in the distribution of natural assets and abilities, his intelligence and strength, and the like" - and ask what they would consider to be a just society (the approach taken by John Rawls). Now, you may think these are dumb ideas but they're certainly not ideas that destroys morality or ethics. They're ideas people who think about morality and ethics have found extremely useful.

What does this mean for your example of a person who sees two people drowning, one of whom is a relative, and can only save one? It means that we cannot expect moral behaviour in that situation. They would probably save their relative - you would do that, I would do that - and this is why I said "we might understand and forgive someone who did that in an extreme situation, but their behaviour would still be morally wrong."

But the fact that many of us would behave in an immoral way when given the chance to prioritise our family over other people doesn't somehow destroy morality. It just means that the way to get a moral outcome is to avoid giving people a chance to prioritise their family over other people.

And I think this is actually an idea that we tend to accept. We don't think a doctor should be able to ensure their relative gets treatment first. We would call that a "conflict of interest", and demand that someone else - an impartial person - make the decision instead. We wouldn't blame a doctor for putting their relative first, as that would indeed be "only human". But we wouldn't think it was moral behaviour, which is why we'd try to prevent it happening.

There isnt always a duty to be impartial, and that's how we actually deal with it, is by taking into account duties of impartiality in some cases but not in others. A doctor might have a special duty to be impartial as part of his duty to care for people that he undertakes by becoming a doctor and practicing medicine.

If you know that next week many people will celebrate their birthdays, and that many of them would really enjoy and appreciate a birthday gift from you, but you only give one to you son and not to any strangers, I don't think you've violated any duty to be impartial, and therefore you have not acted immorally.

Rawls' veil of ignorance isn't meant to be applied in every situation no matter how miniscule, his work is about how to order society. It's an ingenious framework for creating a perversely 'enlightened' self-interest that leads to be people not just being selfish.

Its especially egregious to call on Rawls in defense of moral standards you admit are impossible to live up to because his thinking is meant to describe a plausible theory of justice that people can and therefore should live up to.

I believe that 'ought' implies 'can' and since people cannot always be impartial toward their kids or loved ones vs. strangers, it's wrong to say that they always should be.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

hakimashou posted:

Isn't this just the ticking time bomb fallacy only you've replaced 'bomb explode' with 'NHS dismantled'?

What if there was a bomb right, and you had to shoot a kitten and then eat poop?///?

What now you leftist gently caress!

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

Regarde Aduck posted:

Isn't this just the ticking time bomb fallacy only you've replaced 'bomb explode' with 'NHS dismantled'?

What if there was a bomb right, and you had to shoot a kitten and then eat poop?///?

What now you leftist gently caress!

I give the bomb to you and leave with the kitten.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

The :ironicat: is now a bomb

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Yo comrades i dont normally post pre coffee but i glanced at the headlines and noted war criminal tony blair wants to lead a new remain campaign

Just flat out lol, what a figurehead

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Well he's got one follower on this thread already

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Imagine if blair saved us from brexit. :monocle:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

What if the only way to stop Brexit was to let Tony Blair invade a Middle Eastern country?

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
I'm interested to hear what Big Tone has to say.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Pissflaps posted:

I'm interested to hear what Big Tone has to say.

People should probably listen to him, he knows a thing or two about winning elections.

Especially corbyn, since he used to have corbyn's job and was really good at it.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Non-EU immigration to the UK is miniscule isn't it?

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Baron Corbyn posted:

What if the only way to stop Brexit was to let Tony Blair invade a Middle Eastern country?

Depends on which one it is. If he swerved us and attacked Israel, I think we'd all be down with that.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

Non-EU immigration to the UK is miniscule isn't it?

It's higher than EU immigration

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

awesome-express posted:

I wish there was a way that this could have been told in the debate, without being anti-immigrant to the people outside the EU.
The narrative was centred around how we can't control our immigration, but the immigration they can control was much larger, because they know we need the people coming in.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
Also I love it when you get people like Farage saying that we need to control immigration while simultaneously saying we need to have closer ties with The Empire The Commonwealth. I wonder which non-EU countries we receive the highest immigration from:

2. India 9.0% of immigrants
3. Pakistan 5.9% of immigrants
7. Nigeria 2.3% of immigrants
8. Bangladesh 2.3% of immigrants
9. South Africa 2.2 % of immigrants

oh

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pissflaps stop sending people sneaky PMs, it makes you look like the creepy old man you are.

Kokoro Wish
Jul 23, 2007

Post? What post? Oh wow.
I had nothing to do with THAT.

Dabir posted:

Pissflaps stop sending people sneaky PMs, it makes you look like the creepy old man you are.

poo poo like that is why I'm glad I never re-upped to Platinum.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

awesome-express posted:

Ah yes, I got my EU and non-EU figures mixed up in the depths of my memory.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Cross posting from the BR thread for those interested:

Red 43, produced by the RSSB regarding DOO emergency situations, revoked from several TOCs safety briefs, has leaked online:

https://d3lkew8zknjt1t.cloudfront.net/butotv/live/videos/ZVL33/1/Jjyw3/Jjyw3_1200.mp4?_=1460029662

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:

Jippa posted:

Imagine if blair saved us from brexit. :monocle:

Turns out Brexit is a good thing after all.

mehall posted:

I wish there was a way that this could have been told in the debate, without being anti-immigrant to the people outside the EU.
The narrative was centred around how we can't control our immigration, but the immigration they can control was much larger, because they know we need the people coming in.

People want less immigration all round, stopping EU immigration is what happened to turn up as a possibility.

Skinty McEdger
Mar 9, 2008

I have NEVER received the respect I deserve as the leader and founder of The Masterflock, the internet's largest and oldest Christopher Masterpiece fan group in all of history, and I DEMAND that changes. From now on, you will respect Skinty McEdger!

The irony being that pretty much all the countries that they've floated the idea of trade agreements have made noise about wanting the number of visa's granted for their citizens to be raised as part of a deal.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Blairs attitude, which does pretty much boil down to 'well we can keep all non-white people out, will that do?' and is at best permitted and at worst required by the EU is why I've always been skeptical of the arguments about the EUs approach to reducing internal borders; a vital component of doing that is setting harder and harder external border limits.

awesome-express
Dec 30, 2008

namesake posted:

Blairs attitude, which does pretty much boil down to 'well we can keep all non-white people out, will that do?' and is at best permitted and at worst required by the EU is why I've always been skeptical of the arguments about the EUs approach to reducing internal borders; a vital component of doing that is setting harder and harder external border limits.

External borders are necessary, tho. It's where you draw the line is kinda the sketchy part as you'll end up offending someone at some point.

awesome-express fucked around with this message at 11:12 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Lots of common sense from Tony, annoying Brexiters on both sides of the house.

Must be saying something right.

• Locked thread