Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Are there any good HOI4 LPs? Video or text is fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Wiz posted:

Short answer: It doesn't. Any semblance of it doing so is the result of endless hours of balancing resources and techs so that the world economy wouldn't crash when a dozen Irish artisans switch away from producing clippers.

If you ever did take a crack at Vicky 3, how would you handle this? I mean resources being in limited quantity/availability is pretty key to Vicky's economy (as opposed to say HoI4 where resources are limited but not consumed, so you never actually "run out" unless you lose access somehow or increase your production beyond your supply), but it must be a hell of a balancing act to ensure that like, the world is capable of producing enough food to sustain the global population as it grows over time let alone all the other production chains going on.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Has anyone figured out how war works in Realpolitiks.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Stairmaster posted:

Has anyone figured out how war works in Realpolitiks.

shove dudes into the front, pick operations based on how many dudes you have (ie use armor if you have more than your opponent) i think

i found a time machine while playing as africola in the 2200 scenario. the dude i sent back got a sega genisis with a copy of sonic the hedgehog this game is bonkers in a good way

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

The Cheshire Cat posted:

If you ever did take a crack at Vicky 3, how would you handle this? I mean resources being in limited quantity/availability is pretty key to Vicky's economy (as opposed to say HoI4 where resources are limited but not consumed, so you never actually "run out" unless you lose access somehow or increase your production beyond your supply), but it must be a hell of a balancing act to ensure that like, the world is capable of producing enough food to sustain the global population as it grows over time let alone all the other production chains going on.

I recall someone at paradox saying they wanted to look at making markets regional instead of global, which reduces the problem down to balancing a dozen markets instead of one.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
So I purchased Realpolitiks today. I'll do a write up later, but I wanted to share a loading screen that I hadn't seen spread around yet:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Cantorsdust posted:

So I purchased Realpolitiks today. I'll do a write up later, but I wanted to share a loading screen that I hadn't seen spread around yet:

oh gently caress these loading screens are on loving point

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
Paradox, please just buy the Realpolitiks team out so you can make more of those loading screens.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Where's Kim Jong-un playing Realpolitik on his Starcraft rig.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Agean90 posted:

shove dudes into the front, pick operations based on how many dudes you have (ie use armor if you have more than your opponent) i think

i found a time machine while playing as africola in the 2200 scenario. the dude i sent back got a sega genisis with a copy of sonic the hedgehog this game is bonkers in a good way

Build loads of planes, spam air superiority until there are no more planes on the enemy side, then bomb their tanks (forgot the name of the op), and then just win in ops where they can't fulfill the requirements because they have no tanks. Pretty easy if you can afford the airforce and I suppose kind of how it's been working out since the Gulf Wars?

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

V for Vegas posted:

I recall someone at paradox saying they wanted to look at making markets regional instead of global, which reduces the problem down to balancing a dozen markets instead of one.

It would make since for local raw materials but in the spirit of the times luxury goods like chocolate would need to be global. Some finished goods like guns to probably.

Also thanks for the lp suggestion. Starting to get a grasp of the game. The mad dash for Africa is wild.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Regional markets might make sense as a stepping stone between the local and global markets, so if you're pre-westernization Japan Great Britain doesn't get to keep buying up all of China's goods before you get a chance at them. It would help the nations lower down in the rankings at least meet their basic needs without having to produce everything themselves.

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won
I wonder if there would be some useful stuff to do with regional markets and embargoing as a diplomatic action - specifically wondering about systems that could replicate the King Cotton strategy and force either diplomatic or gunboat reaction.

edit: though in my mind I'd also love to see trading/supply routes that can be blockaded and which make places like Singapore, the Suez and Panama canals, etc., desirable to hold.

The Narrator fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Feb 17, 2017

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

One of the central issues with V2's economy is China, from what I remember. If it does any better than it did in real life it basically becomes a resource black hole that starves everybody of lower rank of everything, forever.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Nothing says "perfect execution" like "7/10"
They perfectly executed a 7/10 concept.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I managed to form Italy as Sardinia-Piedmont in 1846 because the Garibaldi event just handed it to me - what's my next goal? I figure I need to expand my military and prepare to attack Austria to retake my cores, as well as try to form alliances that would help me in such a war.

Anything else I should be aiming for? Colonialism? Other European shenanigans?

The Narrator
Aug 11, 2011

bernie would have won

gradenko_2000 posted:

I managed to form Italy as Sardinia-Piedmont in 1846 because the Garibaldi event just handed it to me - what's my next goal? I figure I need to expand my military and prepare to attack Austria to retake my cores, as well as try to form alliances that would help me in such a war.

Anything else I should be aiming for? Colonialism? Other European shenanigans?

The historical answer is try and eat Africa. Everyone's going to be doing it. Build yourself up into a great power (if you're not one already) and gently caress around with spheres of influence, too.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Make poo poo tonnes of commerce raiders and ironclads. Always be building naval bases and save up all your research points from 1868 until 1870.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

Jazerus posted:

One of the central issues with V2's economy is China, from what I remember. If it does any better than it did in real life it basically becomes a resource black hole that starves everybody of lower rank of everything, forever.

Part of the problem I think is the whole "first dibs" system. It'd be better if it were proportional to prestige or something along those lines.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Initial trip report on Realpolitiks: it's good. It feels like a modern day bare bones version of a cross between EU and Victoria. I've been playing for the past 6 hours or so. Will write a full post later after I get some sleep. Crow, you'd like it. It feels like a streamlined Power and Revolution without the bugs. Game is surprisingly stable, although I suspect it has a memory leak somewhere because after about 10 save-scumming cycles or so it will crash on load. Otherwise no obvious bugs or non load screen crashes for the past 6 hours.

If you like EU or Victoria and want to play a modern day streamlined and more gamey/less complex version, it's worth your money.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

Make poo poo tonnes of commerce raiders and ironclads. Always be building naval bases and save up all your research points from 1868 until 1870.

The commerce raiders and ironclads are for maximized military score, right?

And then the naval bases are to max-out my colonial points?

And then saving research points is so that I can finish Machine Guns as early as possible?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
Commerce raiders and ironclads are the best value for money for colonial points. You need the naval bases to allow you to keep building more and more of them. And yeah, it's for machine guns or whatever the other techs are that get you the +25% chance towards colonial negotiations.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR
Machine Guns enables the Colonial Negotiations innovation that gives you the needed life rating for the more harsh environments to colonize.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
And what's the difference between 2% and 4% clergymen again? After I got all my states to 2% Clergymen, I then worked on promoting Bureaucrats until I got to 100% admin efficiency for promotion and tax revenue purposes.

What comes after that as far as National Focuses?

(I'm sorry for all the questions - I used to know all this, but most of it leaked out in more than a year of not playing. During yesterday's reinstall and short 10-year playthrough, the only thing I remembered was to set Craftsmen and Soldiers to state_capital_only)

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
2% nationally is what you need for the highest research point output, ~4% is the max clergy in a state. You get better literacy increases with 4%.

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

gradenko_2000 posted:

And what's the difference between 2% and 4% clergymen again? After I got all my states to 2% Clergymen, I then worked on promoting Bureaucrats until I got to 100% admin efficiency for promotion and tax revenue purposes.

What comes after that as far as National Focuses?

(I'm sorry for all the questions - I used to know all this, but most of it leaked out in more than a year of not playing. During yesterday's reinstall and short 10-year playthrough, the only thing I remembered was to set Craftsmen and Soldiers to state_capital_only)

I wanna say admin efficiency makes pop promotion go faster, so I get bureaucrats in every state before boosting clergymen, but it probably doesn't matter too much.

Once you've got enough clergymen and bureaucrats, use national focuses for soldiers if you need a bigger army or clerks if you've got space in your factories, otherwise whatever you feel like/unset them and forget they exist.

Chickpea Roar
Jan 11, 2006

Merdre!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I think you can only save up 1 years worth of research points.

Ironclads are much better than raiders for colonial points, so if you're getting close to the supply limit you should focus on them. Monitors are also better than raiders, but you may not be able to research then before it's too late.

It's also a good idea to conquer all or parts of Sokoto and one of Oman's colonies to get access to the best parts of Africa early.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Chickpea Roar posted:

I think you can only save up 1 years worth of research points.

This is true, but even a year lets you make a mockery of the time ahead penalty when you want to.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Cantorsdust posted:

Initial trip report on Realpolitiks: it's good. It feels like a modern day bare bones version of a cross between EU and Victoria. I've been playing for the past 6 hours or so. Will write a full post later after I get some sleep. Crow, you'd like it. It feels like a streamlined Power and Revolution without the bugs. Game is surprisingly stable, although I suspect it has a memory leak somewhere because after about 10 save-scumming cycles or so it will crash on load. Otherwise no obvious bugs or non load screen crashes for the past 6 hours.

If you like EU or Victoria and want to play a modern day streamlined and more gamey/less complex version, it's worth your money.

It does look like something I would enjoy, but I tried the demo and it chugs like crazy for me. Maybe if they had made it in something besides Unity it would work better...

Well, there's always NWO, I guess

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

legendary splits

wukkar
Nov 27, 2009

V for Vegas posted:

As poo poo as Ageod's Pride of Nations was at many things, this is one thing that is actually worth Paradox stealing from it.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

This is pretty good.

Edit: Wait, is PDX stock splitting? That would be rad.

ExtraNoise fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Feb 17, 2017

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

wukkar posted:

As poo poo as Ageod's Pride of Nations was at many things, this is one thing that is actually worth Paradox stealing from it.

Yeah, I liked the economic model in PoN. The split between private and public money was a brilliant mechanic.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I had never heard of realpolitiks until today, in this thread, but it looks extremely my poo poo so thanks for posting about it even though it isn't a paradox game

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Victoria III confirmed

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

EU4 question for y'all. Am I really supposed to fabricate claims on all the goddamn new world countries? If I'm playing Spain and have Religious, Exploration, and Expansion Ideas, I would have thought I could just go ham on the Aztecs and conquer them unreasonably quickly. But apparently the religious CB doesn't work over there because I have so many stupid colonial nations, and the Exploration/Expansion CBs don't let me take all their stuff without fabricating on every piddly province.

Or is there a way to give my CN's the authority to war in the new world as much as they want?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Yup, you have to fabricate on everything. You used to be able to just conquer them at will, but they took that out last patch.

Hopefully there'll be a good replacement someday, but given what's happening to protectorates in 1.20, it'll probably be a little while.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Arcturas posted:

EU4 question for y'all. Am I really supposed to fabricate claims on all the goddamn new world countries? If I'm playing Spain and have Religious, Exploration, and Expansion Ideas, I would have thought I could just go ham on the Aztecs and conquer them unreasonably quickly. But apparently the religious CB doesn't work over there because I have so many stupid colonial nations, and the Exploration/Expansion CBs don't let me take all their stuff without fabricating on every piddly province.

Or is there a way to give my CN's the authority to war in the new world as much as they want?

You only need to fabricate on 1 province to declare war (if you lack any other CBs) and then just take their stuff at full AE since it should only apply to people near them, ie other native Americans whom you don't care about

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Koramei posted:

Yup, you have to fabricate on everything. You used to be able to just conquer them at will, but they took that out last patch.

Hopefully there'll be a good replacement someday, but given what's happening to protectorates in 1.20, it'll probably be a little while.

I'm thinking it should be based off religion. Free CB against all New World nations in the 'pagan' group. If they convert to Christianity then you lose the CB, but otherwise...

Reminds me, I hope they tweak how institution spread works as we go forward too. Just played a game where 98% of the entire world ended 1820 at tech level ~30-32, including mega-Ming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
AI allies being goddamn stupid combined with not being able to take unoccupied provinces in peace during coalition wars has resulted in a very unsatisfactory situation in my most recent game. I'm fighting a coalition of basically me (malay peninsula + Thailand + Cambodia) allied with Lang Xang and Majapahit vs. the entire rest of Indochina (except Pegu which is basically my next target) + Sumatra. Since I have naval supremacy I blockade Sumatra off so I don't have to deal with those armies until later, unfortunately my allies insist on all landing their troops there and getting completely rocked, losing me like 15 warscore. Then later when the war in the north is basically wrapped up I start getting Call for Peace even though the enemy alliance has at least parity in troops with me and just insists on sitting on mountains in annoying spots forcing me to do every siege with a good stack in reserve so they don't swoop in like assholes. Between all the guys up there I have to siege down like 10 forts and it takes loving forever and if I just move my troops back down south they'll start reoccupying everything.

I feel like basically every mechanic introduced to prevent some kind of 'country destroying MP exploit' produces extremely lovely gameplay, I just want to take some provinces since I've got a rediculous amount of warscore but nope, instead I guess I can vassal the warleader, which I don't really want, but it's better than taking nothing.