Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Years and years later, after two false starts I'm finally playing through Final Fantasy VIII. I absolutely love everything about this game except the setting, story and characters. I'm almost to the end of Disc 3 and I feel like...I mean, I guess there's a story, but it still feels like it hasn't actually started, yet. The "revelations" that are revealed are bizarre because the characters all seemed to unfazed by the mysteries that I wasn't sure if these were actually mysteries or if I just missed something. The characters are also so unfazed by the revelations that it feels like...everything in this game feels so subdued. Squall is a miserable emo kid for no real reason that I can understand...the dynamic of having a teacher on your squad is mitigated by the fact that she's actually like the same age and was just an instructor because she was especially good at that subject...the being caught between two timelines never felt impactful and especially once the timelines are unified, it seems even less important. We were told that the Garden was created to destroy the Sorceress but she's the Headmaster's wife and also she helped build it so that didn't make any sense until about twenty hours of gameplay later, which should have been a momentous event with grand realizations of hidden motivations and plot twists but instead felt like, "Oh, yeah, did we forget to mention this little bit of information that fills in this massive plot hole? Well, here it is." Inconsequential, really. And the setting...where the Hell is this place? Is it a post-apocalyptic future? Why did nobody know the Garden could fly? What are these Jabba the Hutt people? Why are there only a few towns? Is it because we're supposed to interpolate the world map as actually being very populated but it's only important for us to see the major city locations? Normally I'd say that's the case, since more Final Fantasy games are like that, but combined with the bizarre nature of the Garden, the Sorceress, the time compression, it feels like post-apocalyptic. But who knows!

This game is a train wreck but has my favorite RPG mechanics I think out of any console RPG I've ever played. I mean, it's pretty broken but it saddens me that they never did anything more with it, or used it in a game that made any loving sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

You even like the Magic Draw mechanic?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

FF8 is a bad game

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jho-peCAKs

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Lurdiak posted:

You even like the Magic Draw mechanic?

Yeah, I really do. I mean, I feel like it could be expanded. Maybe I just like the idea of it. I like magic being used in this capacity, this kind of limited resource that you have to extract from enemies and you have a limited supply. I like how you junction it to stats, and how you can use the magic against enemies but it might mean weakening your character. I like the idea of hunting specific monsters for specific magics. I like the concept of keeping your party alive so you can draw the magic, and the risk involved there. I like also how the limit breaks work, which means using different strategies in battle like keeping your party at a low health so you can use them but risking getting them killed.

Like, it's all not quite great, but the foundation is there for some really interesting things.

The GFs are cool, too. I like assigning them to characters and getting different skills and stat bonuses from them. I like how they double as summons. Really, I like all the mechanics of this game. They're all rusty and the game itself kinda sucks but I'm having more fun wandering around hunting Cactuars and getting GFs and siphoning Ultimas than I have in a console in years and years.

credburn fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Feb 17, 2017

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

There was or maybe still is an LP that showed off the crazy amounts of optional NPC dialogue you can find if you return to out-of-way screens that you have no real reason to return to, but it ends up being very charming.

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

A monthly reminder that the Funko POP Titanfall 2 figures are actually really cool. OK thanks.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Apparently they added The Saboteur to Origin Access and you could totally get the free 7 day trial and finish it within that time limit. It's worth it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Jay Rust posted:

There was or maybe still is an LP that showed off the crazy amounts of optional NPC dialogue you can find if you return to out-of-way screens that you have no real reason to return to, but it ends up being very charming.

I like when games do that, it keeps the world from feeling like a glorified corridor. For example the Mario and Luigi games are very bad at not feeling that way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The Trails games are kings of NPC dialogue.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Sakurazuka posted:

The Trails games are kings of NPC dialogue.

The games where you ride a bike along courses?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

The games where you ride a bike along courses?

Welcome to the future!

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I would play Trials in the Sky.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
MAN

MACHINE

THE FUSION

Edit: YOU FUCKER

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:mad:

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Where's the motorcycle?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Andrast posted:

Where's the motorcycle?

In Trails of Cold Steel

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Sakurazuka posted:

FF8 is a bad game

FF8 is a great game, I am willing to die on this hill.

I also kinda believe the idea that the game's story was changed halfway through development and they never went back and changed disc 1, which is why it's much more serious and interesting than 2-4.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I'm sorry Sakurazaka! I misread your post!

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhDL3Q86ofY

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
I want that t-shirt. Give me that goddamn t-shirt. I don't have a PS4 but I would buy the PS4 version for that t-shirt

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
I've just started listening to the VGMpire podcast. It is pretty neat!

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
I'm trying to watch Pewdiepie's response video to his racist shennigans or whatever, but the video is loving hard to watch. I've never actually seen any of his videos because whenever I tried I just saw a video game being played with an annoying guy screaming in the corner. But I guess that's what he does? Well, he has like a thousand videos on YouTube so I'm assuming there is more to him than just that, but this response video -- try watching it. It's here...well, I can't seem to actually copy and paste the link, but anyway, it's easy to find. But watch it, and see how every three or so seconds there's a cut. I mean, if he talks for ten seconds, there are at LEAST three cuts there. What the gently caress is going on here? Is it that he can't go more than a few words without stumbling over his words, or did he need to get rid of even more weird poo poo that could get him in trouble? This video has more quick cuts than a Bourne film.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That's the YouTube style man, like 90% of YouTube videos look like that

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
They don't have the time to pause. There is just too much information man!

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

If you don't have a cut every 3 seconds an ADHD riddled 11 year old might lose interest and watch one of the other 50000 screaming idiot youtubs

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpWL_roj9bI

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

credburn posted:

I'm trying to watch Pewdiepie's response video to his racist shennigans or whatever, but the video is loving hard to watch. I've never actually seen any of his videos because whenever I tried I just saw a video game being played with an annoying guy screaming in the corner. But I guess that's what he does? Well, he has like a thousand videos on YouTube so I'm assuming there is more to him than just that, but this response video -- try watching it. It's here...well, I can't seem to actually copy and paste the link, but anyway, it's easy to find. But watch it, and see how every three or so seconds there's a cut. I mean, if he talks for ten seconds, there are at LEAST three cuts there. What the gently caress is going on here? Is it that he can't go more than a few words without stumbling over his words, or did he need to get rid of even more weird poo poo that could get him in trouble? This video has more quick cuts than a Bourne film.

Youtube superstars are hellspawns and they're all exactly like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6seIQ8rLp8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwGaWw3fw7s

Cyron
Mar 10, 2014

by zen death robot
final fantasy 10 had awful art and the main character is bad and annoying but it have one of the best turn based combat systems and most of the charaters are good to bad rear end motherfuckers.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Too bad Final Fantasy 10 forgot to have dungeons or a world map.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Cyron posted:

final fantasy 10 had awful art and the main character is bad and annoying but it have one of the best turn based combat systems and most of the charaters are good to bad rear end motherfuckers.

That's why it's the best FF also Tidus is fine

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Sakurazuka posted:

That's why it's the best FF also Tidus is fine

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Sakurazuka posted:

the best FF
haha, good one

Everyone knows six is the best. Shame about that ios version and the resulting steam port though.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the only fantasies I've played are tactics, tactics a, and tactics a2. all pretty good

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

precision posted:

Oh I actually forgot about a good webcomic one of my ex's turned me onto: Templar, Arizona. I dunno if it's still any good but I remember liking it quite a bit

iirc that one is from former(?) goon Darth Versace. I don't really keep up with webcomics but I check in on her stuff once in a while and it's usually pretty good.

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

oddium posted:

the only fantasies I've played are tactics, tactics a, and tactics a2. all pretty good

You should join the Fiesta this year!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

oddium posted:

XIII is pretty aweosme.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NNSNTYR12M

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

:twisted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

plz dont pull out posted:

Speaking of humor not landing, I watched my roommate play the Conker's Bad Fur Day remake for the Xbox this afternoon and boy did that game not age well. Like it isn't funny and the platforming seemed terrible. Like top to bottom it just doesn't work.

Yeah, the game leans entirely on the edgy "this ain't your daddy's Nintendo game!" adult content, that's basically what all the ads were pushing at the time as well. I played it last in like 2002 and even then the actual gameplay was terrible. Even more so when you get to the already tired Matrix and Saving Private Ryan parodies that turn the game into a third person shooter.

• Locked thread