Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, the lack of soft caps to worry about combined with the fact that every weapon scales decently with three stats means that, as long as you pay at least some attention to what stats do, you can't really screw up. And the game throws Books of Reincarnation at you, especially in the second half, so you doubly can't screw up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I absolutely loathe the loot system. At the same time, I realize DS loot wouldn't work here, since it's both mission based and only has one deep moveset per weapon type.

Maybe if there was just one of each that you get early on and you just unlocked perks and raised damage like in a Platinum title. Anything to get rid of the inventory management.

At least the blacksmith stuff wound up being utterly ignorable. Although now it's pretty much the only thing standing between me and a plat...

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

The set bonuses kind of throw things off though. Since you can reforge anything to be basically anything, there's no real reason not to go for an armor set bonus, or even two different ones.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I can never remember the scale of my poo poo. I was like, I have 90k amrita, is that enough to level up? Or right I need 375k.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E
Man I'm only one digit away from leveling up, let's see if I can use my hard currency to get there. That one digit is a million.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

your amrita count turns yelllow when you have enough to lvl up

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Snak posted:

Man, I can never remember the scale of my poo poo. I was like, I have 90k amrita, is that enough to level up? Or right I need 375k.

Your amrita counter turns gold when you have enough to level up

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Every once in a while I equip the best stuff in my inventory and dump everything else at a shrine or blacksmith (usually shrine). If it's not purple and better or maybe blue with a cool stat and also much stronger, then it's gone.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Holy poo poo. That's amazing information.

I'm gonna wear this kodama bowl on my head now.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Managing loot gets easier in NG+ when all you're looking for are greens and anything exotic and below can be trashed.

That reminds me of Diablo 3, when you get to the point where anything that isn't legendary or set gets trashed.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Beat Sekigahara. Actually kind of trivial boss, but I liked the level design.

Death count: 845. Amrita lost to deaths: 1,483,280

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just lost 500k to the dumbest poo poo.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Do we know how good the damage bonus is for Agility yet? Like if my Guardian Spirit provides an "A" bonus to damage for Agility and I have less than 30% of my weight equipped, how much does it affect my damage?

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

Finished Nioh tonight. The end game really seems to take a dive. Like I'm not sure if the game really did anything interesting with basic enemies, and most of the bosses made plot sense but weren't particularly interesting. gently caress the last non-boss encounter in the epilogue too.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

BlackFrost posted:

Do we know how good the damage bonus is for Agility yet? Like if my Guardian Spirit provides an "A" bonus to damage for Agility and I have less than 30% of my weight equipped, how much does it affect my damage?

Someone said a few pages back that with A agility that bonus is close to 15%.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
okay so to turn divine +0 into divine +1 i need to soul forge the +0 with a +1 to make a +1? Where do I get a +1 then?

Small and Blue
Apr 24, 2008
You can get +1 and higher divines as drops and mission rewards but you can also make a +1 divine by combining two +0:s, a +2 with two +1:s and so on.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
I'm thinking of grabbing this and actually playing my ps4 again. How long is the game generally speaking? I really enjoyed Witcher 3, not just because of the story and how well done the game is, but also because it lasted me a really long time with a ton of content and I really like having a game I can get really familiar with and enjoy for a while.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Any good lightweight armor sets for a Dual-swords user? I like the set bonuses for the Master Swordsman set but I'd need a ton of Stamina to be able to wear it and still have B Agility.

Also is there a transformation for Saiga Magoichi? That guy's awesome.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Feb 17, 2017

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Playing the actual campaign has been about 30 hours so far for me, with no rush at all, and I probably have about 10 left.

NG+ is a whole different thing though, and you could even argue that is the bigger part of the game.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
I'm pretty sure bosses get a massive health bonus during coop? Because that Nue sure took a beating

I still need to solo clear that bastard. Losing to a boss is super frustating but beating something like Hino Enma after a dozen of failed tries feels good.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
Ol' Red Li there seemed hyper lethal even compared to Muneshige as a light armor Ninja guy. Don't get hit and try not to block unless you absolutely have to, because he'll break your ki in two hits and kill you with the critical. Eventually slapped him to death with midstance kusarigama and died less than half as many times as I did to Muneshige. This is the armor set you guys were complaining every revenant from now on has right?

Operant
Apr 1, 2010

LET THERE BE NO GENESIS

Studio posted:

Finished Nioh tonight. The end game really seems to take a dive. Like I'm not sure if the game really did anything interesting with basic enemies, and most of the bosses made plot sense but weren't particularly interesting. gently caress the last non-boss encounter in the epilogue too.

The lmao three kellys!!! room is the loving worst. I eventually beat it by just hardcore rushing down the first dude to pop out and then the others. They have poo poo for stamina and are easy to break/grapple

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Any tricks for the tongue yokai? I've pretty much got most of them down to a science (even the tengu, as long as it's alone) but that one just randomly wrecks me sometimes

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Playing the actual campaign has been about 30 hours so far for me, with no rush at all, and I probably have about 10 left.

NG+ is a whole different thing though, and you could even argue that is the bigger part of the game.

It would be a poor argument. NG+ isn't that much different. The enemy placement is hardly changed past the first third.

But yeah, 40 hours for a first run, maybe another 10 to 15 to clean postgame and the notable NG+ stuff up. Similar to a Souls game. Also similar to a Souls game: if this is your first time in the genre it could take closer to 80 hours.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Small and Blue posted:

You can get +1 and higher divines as drops and mission rewards but you can also make a +1 divine by combining two +0:s, a +2 with two +1:s and so on.

i was about to combine two +0 but the game told me it would create the exact same weapon so there was no point

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
Yeah the Kelley room makes you think you should be passive (really frustrated me at first) but the best approach is to rush in, kill the first one ASAP, then kill the second with devil trigger. gently caress having to kill the two oni every attempt though because they invariably get released by errant enemy attacks or perhaps hop out on their own

Relin fucked around with this message at 10:36 on Feb 17, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Any tricks for the tongue yokai? I've pretty much got most of them down to a science (even the tengu, as long as it's alone) but that one just randomly wrecks me sometimes

iframe dodge behind them, don't get to comfortable because they have a few spin moves. The biggest thing to watch for on the dodge is the hitbox on their punches precedes their actual fist, so you should dodge in anticipation.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Snak posted:

It really does bloom up pretty crazy

"Oh poo poo I lost 50k souls... oh wait that's nothing"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

:psyduck: what the gently caress

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?
Should have read the OP

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I read the op, like, during the alpha. I wasn't gonna read it again...

Smithing texts are a myth.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Block their tongue attacks. They're tricky to dodge but they're pretty well telegraphed and will do very little ki damage if blocked. Also if you can lure them into doing their charge attack into a wall they'll have their ki drained and be stunned.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

The amrita count changing colors is one of the many quality of life changes that I really hope From steals if they ever do another Soulslike.

Other big ones: Ranged weapon controls, and multiple inventory quick selects.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I've had the best success by being aggressive with Living Weapon as soon as they spawn. Outside of that, don't get cornered and try to use geometry against them (a rock, a pillar, etc.).

The Moon Monster posted:

Block their tongue attacks. They're tricky to dodge but they're pretty well telegraphed and will do very little ki damage if blocked. Also if you can lure them into doing their charge attack into a wall they'll have their ki drained and be stunned.

One point on this - they've got a couple different tongue attacks. If they jump back, run away because they're about to do a grab that'll go right through a block.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Fhqwhgads posted:

Are there any basic combo tutorials going around yet? I feel like the speed of the combat system is making me just button mash and I know that's not how it's supposed to go. So now I'm stuck in a rut of just Windstorm > Living Water > Iai if downed > Repeat until dead and I need to break out of that if I'm ever going to beat a boss on my own.

Whatever the high dual sword block and mash triangle attack is called.

I've stunlocked human bosses from 100% to 0 with that + lightning charm.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
The tongue guys are slow and telegraphed as hell, so if you've invested in ninjustu or onmyodo, you can easily take them apart at range (or, in the case of onmyo, cripple them and then tear them apart at close quarters). Their status effect resistances are piddly outside their designated element, too, so if you've got a good elemental spread prepared, you can easily discord 'em.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I just killed the NUE. This game is a lot of fun!

I kinda wish revanents didn't drop one of their pieces of their equipment guaranteed

So many way of the west

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

RatHat posted:

Any good lightweight armor sets for a Dual-swords user? I like the set bonuses for the Master Swordsman set but I'd need a ton of Stamina to be able to wear it and still have B Agility.

Get the Justice Ministry set. If you've met the boss you spoilered out, you can start getting it in the next mission. One of the set pieces is a set of dual swords, and it gives you a bonus to Moon Shadow damage with 3 pieces.

RatHat posted:

Also is there a transformation for Saiga Magoichi? That guy's awesome.

Sure is!

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Can you beat someone to death with an oar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Finally beat the Isle of Demons - that was a rush.

I'm now starting to carve my character out a bit more - I'm focusing on Kusarigama, and dual swords. I've been dumping points into Skill, Dex and Spirit. Is this the right way to go?

I really like applying poisons to a heavy/low stanced kusarigama, I feel like the poison procs all the time.

What's the deal with the blacksmith, and forging weapons? Is there a noob guide for this? The English translation doesn't seem too up to par.