Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FeralWraith
Dec 17, 2007
Lurking Bastard

Cinnamon Bear posted:

So, I got pretty lucky.

3/11: Fujin and Raijin's BSBs, and the Almasy Revolver (boo)

Then I decided to be irresponsible since this event looks fun and I kind of wanted some better stuff for Seifer for my Dark team. It means I probably won't pull on the FF7 event now, but still...

5/11: Double Seifer BSB, Seifer Glove, Raijin SSB, and Squall's Jacket. So I think I'm complete set for FF8, especially after the lucky draw gave me Rinoa's OSB and Squall's SSB. So...many...swords...

Charles Bukowski posted:

Ladies and gentleman, Cinnamon Bear wins the banner.

Agreed. drat nice pulls, CB. Likewise to Mirthless, quite excellent draw on the LB.

Seeing those pulls makes me want to make attempt number 2 on Fujin/Raijin even more. However, we're just over a month out from 2nd Anniversary, and I'm figuring Fujin's BSB will make an appearance there. So now we play the waiting game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Holy hell, what a pull

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Im kind of at a loss as to how I want to build my mediocre-ish Physical team now that I have a couple more options; got Vaan BSB on the lucky draw and Seifers BSB on the FF8 draw

My mage team is pretty set but for phys bursts I have: Rikku, Vaan, Cloud, Pencil, Seifer, Sephiroth, and Balthier

was thinking Seifer/Pencil/Cloud, Vaan, Ramza (shout), Tyro (BSB or SG), and a White Mage (have Arc with both SSBs, Selphie w/ dreamstage, and Ysh with her wall and her ProShellga SSB)

no osbs, and not really sure who I want to run in my first slot or if I should drop Tyro or...

Attestant
Oct 23, 2012

Don't judge me.

Arcon posted:

Im kind of at a loss as to how I want to build my mediocre-ish Physical team now that I have a couple more options; got Vaan BSB on the lucky draw and Seifers BSB on the FF8 draw

My mage team is pretty set but for phys bursts I have: Rikku, Vaan, Cloud, Pencil, Seifer, Sephiroth, and Balthier

was thinking Seifer/Pencil/Cloud, Vaan, Ramza (shout), Tyro (BSB or SG), and a White Mage (have Arc with both SSBs, Selphie w/ dreamstage, and Ysh with her wall and her ProShellga SSB)

no osbs, and not really sure who I want to run in my first slot or if I should drop Tyro or...

Vaan BSB, Ramza (Shout) and Tyro (Wall) is a hell of a strong core to work with. Just throw whatever guys you need, based on medal conditions etc. Also, it might be worth it to just drop either Ramza or Tyro from most teams, and instead RW either Wall or Shout/Vessel of Fate.

Don't get too hung up on trying to make some kind of set team for all content, but rather adjust according to what you need for a boss. Bring Balthier if you need to hit elements or statuses. Bring Pecil if you need holy, access to knight skills, or a second pro/shellga user. Seifer is great if you need to actively tank single target attacks. Sephiroth shines at piercing massive defenses. And Rikku has stacking debuffs, access to a ton of skill schools, covers water super good, etc.

Cloud is probably the only one not worth bothering with, because his old BSB is super dated by now.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
For general content, I'd have something like...Vaan/Ramza/Seifer/Free slot/Arc, and then slot into the free slot depending on whether you need damage, wall, etc.

e: Also, try to get a healer BSB.

Panic! at Nabisco fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Arcon
Jul 24, 2013
Ive been trying to get a healer bsb since they were A Thing, pulling on any of the bigger collections of them and on a few of the better ones banners (Eiko, Ysh, etc)

Anniversary draw dont fail me now

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

2SSBS: Seifer's glove and Fujin's coat. These actually seem good for SSBs but unfortunately I don't have their burst.

Is Fujin usable with her coat alone? Her skill set seems good

Edit: Seifer is a dark boost armor so actually I'm happy with this either way, Kuja will use it

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Feb 17, 2017

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Is Fujin usable with her coat alone? Her skill set seems good
It's enwind and she has wrath, so yes! You can chain them together Luneth style, or just use one and then have her spam the 2-hit wind ninja magic we got in this event.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

It's enwind and she has wrath, so yes! You can chain them together Luneth style, or just use one and then have her spam the 2-hit wind ninja magic we got in this event.

Nice! Between this and Quistis BSB my FF8 mages using wrath quota has been met

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Fujin's skillset is insane, being able to ace striker wrath her enWind SSB into BSB (both instant!) and buff herself with stitch or use proshellga is so useful for Cid missions

a computer ghost
May 30, 2011

an unhackable cat???

Schwartzcough posted:

And I think this format is probably the best we'll have for a while; it actually gets WORSE later IMO. The reason is that 2 pieces of "legend materia" equipment gets added to each banner at a 2% rate per piece. Legend Materia equipment does not teach a SB, but instead gives a character a legend materia (which is generally a relatively minor passive buff, generally worse than the top tier RMs people use now). If you don't have any SBs for a character, the Legend Materia gear is baaaad. It's like getting a no-SB generic.

Wait I thought the legend materia thing was like the mote/RM system where you either grind for it or use some kind of currency, but it's attached to some lovely no name stat stick? What the gently caress? Why did dena think that was a good idea, who the gently caress would want legend materia equip over anything with a SB?

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Tell me it at least grants 300 health or 10 points in an offensive stat.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Bell_ posted:

Tell me it at least grants 300 health or 10 points in an offensive stat.

i believe they do

and really that stuff adds up

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

I got Fuujin's Shear Feather on my 100 gem.

It's a bit super niche in its uses but it'll be hilarious for XII Mandragoras. :getin:

It's a great +wind mage stick too more importantly so that's gonna be fun.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Adel posted:

Wait I thought the legend materia thing was like the mote/RM system where you either grind for it or use some kind of currency, but it's attached to some lovely no name stat stick? What the gently caress? Why did dena think that was a good idea, who the gently caress would want legend materia equip over anything with a SB?

To play devil's advocate, if you already have the money SBs on a character there comes a point where you really don't need more SBs for them because there's simply not enough gauge to ever use them all. Like as someone who has both Y'shtola's BSB and Wall she's pretty much set forever on how to spend her soul break gauge, so if I pull an Y'shtola relic I'd much rather have some sort of unique boost like a LM over a soul break I'll never want to use.

Tying them to relics from the gacha is kind of dumb in general though, I agree.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Yeah, treat Fujin as basically "Quistis with a more team-friendly element and no record diving required". There's differences, of course (mainly that Quistis gets Mighty Guard VIII and a quickcast SB), but ultimately as far as raw skillset goes, Fujin hits all of Quistis's notes - Support 4, White 4, Black 5 - plus Ninja/Sharpshooter 5 to boot, without having to waste 4* motes on it.

She's also the one person who has any use for Stitch In Time, if you still have your 6* Ninja motes, given that Black Magic isn't held to the super-low hard caps that Ninja magic is.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I got Fuujin's Shear Feather on my 100 gem.

It's a bit super niche in its uses but it'll be hilarious for XII Mandragoras. :getin:

It's a great +wind mage stick too more importantly so that's gonna be fun.

It's 'finally a synergy mage weapon for Quistis' for my whipless rear end. I have her BSB but no weapon so it owns

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Schwartzcough posted:

And I think this format is probably the best we'll have for a while; it actually gets WORSE later IMO. The reason is that 2 pieces of "legend materia" equipment gets added to each banner at a 2% rate per piece. Legend Materia equipment does not teach a SB, but instead gives a character a legend materia (which is generally a relatively minor passive buff, generally worse than the top tier RMs people use now). If you don't have any SBs for a character, the Legend Materia gear is baaaad. It's like getting a no-SB generic.

There are a lot of things wrong with this post. One, Legend Materia Relics are 1% each. Two, Relic Legend Materias are better than the best examples of their kind among RMs, and some of them offer effects you simply cannot find in RMs. Further, they don't take up RM slots, so even if the effect isn't OMGAWESOME it still doesn't have any opportunity cost unless you've fully Legend Dived the character. Third, some of the Relic LMs suck without SBs for their character (and some of them suck regardless; looking at you, Raines RLM), but some of them are actually pretty great. Examples include Relm (25% chance to grant MBlink 1 with single target heals), Terra (25% chance to dualcast fire abilities), and Lightning (25% chance to dualcast lightning abilities). Fourth, at the very least mastering a LMR gives you +10 stat.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Beasteh posted:

It's 'finally a synergy mage weapon for Quistis' for my whipless rear end. I have her BSB but no weapon so it owns
The really weird thing is that the base stats on it, even setting synergy aside, are actually really good for +MAG. Apparently it's one of the best 5* relics if you're just looking for a magic stat-stick. (I would still prefer to have her BSB because fastcast wind damage sounds just a bit less awesome than Alphinaud's instacast wind damage, but at least her SSB combos well with Wrath.)

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
So when autobattling in the event I found out that Edea's SSB weapon has a unique attack animation. Not that most people will ever see it.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Is there anything coming up worth pulling on, or should I continue to horde mythril till the anniversary banners?

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.

ApplesandOranges posted:

So when autobattling in the event I found out that Edea's SSB weapon has a unique attack animation. Not that most people will ever see it.

I just noticed that too yesterday! Wish it was more commonly used, it's kinda cool.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Beasteh posted:

I didn't even think of that. I'm in the same situation which is one of the reasons I'm looking at banner 2 so hard even with 2 dupes

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ApplesandOranges posted:

I'm pretty sure that all SSB and up weapons have unique sprites. Also I think when you use a BSB RW, it copies over your character's equipped weapon with the one granting the BSB. This can have some hilarious results with for example using Red XIII to summon Cloud's BSB, since it makes it look like Red is flailing around a bigass sword.

Er .... I just realized that you probably meant an entirely unique animation as opposed to just the weapon sprite. Oh well the above still holds.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Zurai posted:

Further, they don't take up RM slots, so even if the effect isn't OMGAWESOME it still doesn't have any opportunity cost unless you've fully Legend Dived the character.

Can you elaborate on that point? I'm pretty unclear on how that fully diving for legendary thing works. Originally I thought that's how you got legendary materia, but these relics have made things unclear.

iamsosmrt fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Feb 17, 2017

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.

flowinprose posted:

I'm pretty sure that all SSB and up weapons have unique sprites. Also I think when you use a BSB RW, it copies over your character's equipped weapon with the one granting the BSB. This can have some hilarious results with for example using Red XIII to summon Cloud's BSB, since it makes it look like Red is flailing around a bigass sword.

Er .... I just realized that you probably meant an entirely unique animation as opposed to just the weapon sprite. Oh well the above still holds.

RWing a BSB doesn't cross the equipped weapon over. It does carry it for certain Burst commands (like Cloud's), but that's not unique to Bursts since for example any character using Saint Cross will use a sword for the animation even if they have another weapon equipped.

Edea's SSB weapon is a thrown, but instead of the standard thrown weapon animation it uses a magic blast instead (looking like Ruin but not exactly).

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

ApplesandOranges posted:

It does carry it for certain Burst commands (like Cloud's)

Yeah this is what I meant. I just remembered the example I gave about using burst commands with Red XIII where he twirled around with Cloud's sword.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

1st AD posted:

Is there anything coming up worth pulling on, or should I continue to horde mythril till the anniversary banners?

I'm hoarding, but I have good FFVIII synergy and nothing upcoming really sings to me.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
Ok I got Fujin to 80 and I've been just goofing around with her and I love her already, even if all I have is her enWind SB. I also unlocked Stitch in Time for her.

Holy poo poo she is so much fun. And she'll even be able to use Meltdown when I get it!

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

iamsosmrt posted:

Can you elaborate on that point? I'm pretty unclear on how that fully diving for legendary thing works. Originally I thought that's how you got legendary materia, but these relics have made things unclear.

There are two ways to get Legend Materia: through Legend Dive, and via Legend Materia Relics. Each character has two Legend Materia slots which are separate from their Record Materia slot, but Legend Materias are character-specific unlike Record Materias, so only Lightning can equip any of Lightning's LMs (etc).

As for Legend Dive itself, it's basically just a further extension of Record Diving. You must have fully Record Dived a character to access their Legend Dive, and you have to do their Legend Dive in a fairly strict order (before you can unlock a node, you have to have unlocked every node leading to it). Legend Dives give huge stat gains (+30-40 of the character's primary stat, +500-1000 HP, +20 to both defenses, etc) and also two exclusive Legend Materias. The first Legend Dive Legend Materia is fairly easy to reach and gives a fairly minor benefit (+10% damage with a school, -10% damage from an element, etc), while the second is the very last node on the grid and requires a grand total of 100 of two different mote types to unlock, but is usually extremely powerful (35% chance to doublecast a school, start battle with Haste and Powerchain 3, etc).

Relic-based Legend Materias are in between LM1 and LM2 in power, things like 25% chance to doublecast.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

Given that I have Fujin's SSB/SB and Yuffie's BSB, which 6* ability should I aim to hone to R2?: Mug Bloodlust, Affliction Break, Stitch in Time. Ordinarily I'd just go for Mug Bloodlust in a heartbeat, but Guardian of Wutai imitates it with its second command and Affliction Break has proven to be useful at blunting status effects in some of the most recent challenges.

Also, does Fujin's SB (AoE -25% chance to inflict status) stack with Affliction Break (-50% chance for same), or do they just overlap on the same status ID?

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

Same ID

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Zurai posted:

There are a lot of things wrong with this post. One, Legend Materia Relics are 1% each. Two, Relic Legend Materias are better than the best examples of their kind among RMs, and some of them offer effects you simply cannot find in RMs. Further, they don't take up RM slots, so even if the effect isn't OMGAWESOME it still doesn't have any opportunity cost unless you've fully Legend Dived the character. Third, some of the Relic LMs suck without SBs for their character (and some of them suck regardless; looking at you, Raines RLM), but some of them are actually pretty great. Examples include Relm (25% chance to grant MBlink 1 with single target heals), Terra (25% chance to dualcast fire abilities), and Lightning (25% chance to dualcast lightning abilities). Fourth, at the very least mastering a LMR gives you +10 stat.

Ok, sorry if I got the draw % wrong, I thought it was lumped in with the same odds as the SSBs. But the rest of my points still stand; none of the LMs I've seen can compare to Mako Might/Dr. Mog/Ace Striker/Battleforged/Devotion/etc. That's why I said they were worse than the top-tier RMs, not that they were worse than all RMs. And yes, some do give pretty cool or unique effects, but my point was that they don't make a character worth bringing if you don't have a SB for them, unless you're doing a Cid Mission and they're just the best character for your strategy. And I never said they didn't give you stat points.

That being said, if you DO have some great SBs for a character, the LMs can be fantastic. I've seen a lot of impressive stuff done with paired doublecast RMs, potentially letting you triple-cast for ridiculous damage (say, paired with Cloud's USB). But if you don't have a SB for a character, the LM relics feel like total traps.

Sprite141
Feb 7, 2009

I should really just
learn to stop talking.

NGDBSS posted:

Given that I have Fujin's SSB/SB and Yuffie's BSB, which 6* ability should I aim to hone to R2?: Mug Bloodlust, Affliction Break, Stitch in Time. Ordinarily I'd just go for Mug Bloodlust in a heartbeat, but Guardian of Wutai imitates it with its second command and Affliction Break has proven to be useful at blunting status effects in some of the most recent challenges.

Also, does Fujin's SB (AoE -25% chance to inflict status) stack with Affliction Break (-50% chance for same), or do they just overlap on the same status ID?

I wouldn't bother honing any of those to r2. All of those 6* skills are really just buffs/debuffs. R1 can be a bit tight, but you don't need more on most fights.

6* crystals are too valuable to waste on honing them. Abilities like snowspell strike, omega drive and meltdown are too good to pass up. Just because you have one ninja bsb and another one's ssb doesn't mean every team comp will use them from here on out.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Legend Materia got my attention as soon as I found Trance Terra on low HP is one of them

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Bell_ posted:

Legend Materia got my attention as soon as I found Trance Terra on low HP is one of them

That's her LM2, so it's available to all players with no relic required, for the record. It's kinda situational but it's totally glorious when it happens. Once I had both Trance and her EX mode (from her USB) active and was able to cast Meltdown in 0.183333... seconds ... and by "cast" I mean "doublecast" because yeah there's still room for those on a fully dived Terra with USB who is going to way overcap Meltdown's fire damage without any help from RMs.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Schwartzcough posted:

Ok, sorry if I got the draw % wrong, I thought it was lumped in with the same odds as the SSBs. But the rest of my points still stand; none of the LMs I've seen can compare to Mako Might/Dr. Mog/Ace Striker/Battleforged/Devotion/etc. That's why I said they were worse than the top-tier RMs, not that they were worse than all RMs. And yes, some do give pretty cool or unique effects, but my point was that they don't make a character worth bringing if you don't have a SB for them, unless you're doing a Cid Mission and they're just the best character for your strategy. And I never said they didn't give you stat points.

That being said, if you DO have some great SBs for a character, the LMs can be fantastic. I've seen a lot of impressive stuff done with paired doublecast RMs, potentially letting you triple-cast for ridiculous damage (say, paired with Butt's USB). But if you don't have a SB for a character, the LM relics feel like total traps.
I don't understand. Why does it matter if they're worse than top tier RMs? They use different slots, there is absolutely no competition between them and RMs.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Schwartzcough posted:

That being said, if you DO have some great SBs for a character, the LMs can be fantastic. I've seen a lot of impressive stuff done with paired doublecast RMs, potentially letting you triple-cast for ridiculous damage (say, paired with Cloud's USB). But if you don't have a SB for a character, the LM relics feel like total traps.

25% chance to dualcast is actually better than a lot of top-tier RMs when you consider that you're capping (either stat for Devotion/Dragoon's Determination, or damage for the 30% weapon damage ones). It's not better than Mako Might, but there are only two of those, and those are actually losing relevance somewhat considering Full Throttle fights are a thing with every event now.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Sprite141 posted:

I wouldn't bother honing any of those to r2. All of those 6* skills are really just buffs/debuffs. R1 can be a bit tight, but you don't need more on most fights.

6* crystals are too valuable to waste on honing them. Abilities like snowspell strike, omega drive and meltdown are too good to pass up. Just because you have one ninja bsb and another one's ssb doesn't mean every team comp will use them from here on out.

Agreed. I can't think of a good reason to hone any of those to R2. Most fights don't last long enough to make it worthwhile. Use them once at the start and once at 50% hp and you should be good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

NGDBSS posted:

I totally honed Stitch in Time to R2 but I'm a weird outlier on that regard, most everyone is gonna tell you it's not worth it. I don't regret it though, it does respectable damage on its own and given you have stuff for Fuujin, she's the best unit to take advantage of it in the game.

As far as her SB goes, others have already pointed out it'll overwrite Affliction Break since it's the same exact debuff but it's worth noting in this case that the SB is AoE whereas Affliction Break isn't. There's not going to be very many situations where that's important or super useful but when it IS relevant it will be amazing to have. In example, XII Mandragoras is probably the most prime environment for it to shine ever.

• Locked thread