Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ruta
Apr 21, 2010

Look at this snail.
Finally getting around to levelling WAR and can confirm I really appreciated the arcanist in my group using Topaz on against the bomb in the second boss in Copperbell. I needed that kind of support.

I also had a SCH who wasn't using Cleric Stance and seemed devoted to never letting Eos get an Embrace off, but he did occasionally cast DPS spells. I've actually met a fair amount of people who think Cleric Stance only swaps int and mind around so they actually think the spell has no use until you get pure mind gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Truga posted:

I did this with you guys yesterday and can confirm it owns a lot.

Oh yeah. You make good bait.

SpaceDrake
Dec 22, 2006

I can't avoid filling a game with awful memes, even if I want to. It's in my bones...!

ImpAtom posted:

I've seen it mentioned a few time. What the hell is a "honest healer?"

check out my Youtube posted:

That's a healer that refuses to do anything but heal. Even when they have large periods of time when either their fairy or regen has all the healing covered they will stand there idly and not do anything when they could and should be switching to cleric stance and also be dealing damage.

To further expand on this, as an effortpost explainer for all the newbies we're getting: especially at higher levels, all three healers get a number of tools that allow for hefty regen/mitigation-over-time effects. White Mage gets Regen + Medica 2 (and can throw in Asylum later on), Astrologian gets Diurnal Benefic + Diurnal Helios (basically like WHM), and traditionally Scholar has been strongest in this regard, because not only will the fairy heal the tank if they take damage (and after some AI tweaks early in 2.x, will react faster than you ever could) but with Rouse can throw out a hefty AoE heal over time effect that will, naturally, land on the tank too. The fairy can, in short, pump out 440 potency of healing every three seconds, for no MP cost. Unless your tank is wildly undergeared or just literally not in tank stance and using no cooldowns, that's more than enough healing to mitigate virtually every 4-man trash pull in the game, at-level, as well as boss damage outside of hard, hard tank-buster moves. If you use your fairy right, you'd be sitting there doing literally nothing because the healing is handled.

So it has become tradition, among healers who realize how numbers work, to switch to Cleric Stance (a cross-classable WHM ability that switches your Intelligence and Mind stats, cuts your healing on top of that and gives you a small damage dealt buff) to deal damage while the regens/fairy/etc are rolling. Especially since WHM and AST get big AoE spells (Holy and Gravity) and Scholar gets literally the same Bane DoT-spreading ability that all Arcanists do, against trash packs especially this accounts for a fuckload of damage and healers doing it can speed up dungeon runs immensely. Like "cut the time it takes to complete in half" immensely.

A dungeon run with an "honest healer" can take about 25-30 minutes. Most dungeon runs, with me doing as much DPS as I can on SCH, can take 15 minutes or less, depending on how good the other DPS are and how familiar other members are with the dungeon.

In a number of top end raid fights, healer DPS is also incredibly beneficial. Honestly, if anything I seem to have lost some of my spark for it, as my long-suffering static-mates will tell you. :v: But it helps for pushing phases and in certain parts of Gordias and Midas felt almost mandatory.

In short, "honest healers" are honest because they think healing is like in other MMOs, where all the healer does is heal. XIV works nothing like that and the game gives you tools to be far more aggressive - just like most healers in single player FF games.

-

Meanwhile, speaking of healing, raiding, and my fashion posts:

Getting good looking chest pieces out of the final boss of the final raid always feels pretty great. Solo metallic scythe-buttwings a bonus.

(It's also the first time I've put together an outfit from completely disparate parts in all five major visual slots in a while. I'm actually really pleased with how it came out, though I keep wondering if maybe there are better gloves out there.)

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I saw earlier that Stormblood preorders are up. Both normal and collector's edition are also on Steam as well.

I feel like this post got buried in the last few pages but HOLY poo poo Steam preorders!

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/6d428242f70b5b39b47e03548eed317bea086a13

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

I feel like this post got buried in the last few pages but HOLY poo poo Steam preorders!

http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/topics/detail/6d428242f70b5b39b47e03548eed317bea086a13

I'm glad they were a bit more on the ball with that this time around.

I am hella PEEVED
Oct 25, 2007

Welcome to Earth.

Stallion Cabana posted:

I just had the worst LLDR I've ever had.

A DRK who didn't bother to learn Darkside and instead jumped right into Haukke in a 3 man with the other members of the party yelling at me to turn off Cleric Stance and sitting down in the basement and refusing to pull, while yelling at me about how Cleric Stance effects the Fairy.

Then they told me to 'learn how to play a healer' and I was just loving flabbergasted.

I had a Copperbell Mines LLDR a couple days ago. The dude was multiboxing a DRK, NIN, and MCH. The similar names put me off at first but watching only one of them move or really do anything is what sealed it. He eventually hosed up and his NIN got kicked for inactivity after autofollowing too long.

That run made me want to install that combat parser so I could see what percentage of damage I did with Stone and Aero. It was terrible.

Twat McTwatterson
May 31, 2011
Just hit level 50 and queued up Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium as a paladin tank and I have no idea what just the gently caress happened. I wasn't useful at all during either, had no idea what was going on, kept getting lost in the Praetorium, and.... it didn't matter. The full party annihilated everything in its way. Is that normal?

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
Yes. Unless minimum level synched, the last two ARR dungeon are an absolute joke.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Twat McTwatterson posted:

Just hit level 50 and queued up Castrum Meridianum and the Praetorium as a paladin tank and I have no idea what just the gently caress happened. I wasn't useful at all during either, had no idea what was going on, kept getting lost in the Praetorium, and.... it didn't matter. The full party annihilated everything in its way. Is that normal?

Yep. If you're on Excalibur, hit up some goons to run it with you. We will wait for cutscene-watchers and also probably run it at min ilvl to make it more interesting.

edit: The reason people plough through it is because there is a MSQ roulette with just those two instances and players can and will speedrun it to get their daily tomes.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Thundarr posted:

The main issue with this is that it works fine in a single player game but not for an MMO as tightly balanced as this one. If you think simply getting bad pubbies in DF is a problem now, wait until you get a BLU and have no idea which skills they have, or if they even have any at all. You can't really make content appropriate for a class if you have no idea whether they'll have everything, or just Goblin Punch.

If BLU is a tank class I'll have no problem outside raids thanks to my tank privilege.

kirbysuperstar posted:

I'm glad they were a bit more on the ball with that this time around.

No kidding, the delay for HW preorders was ridiculous.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Was early acess Heavensward actually fun or was it more like a Beta test?

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

There was no beta, it was just "play it two days earlier". Which..almost everyone did, so..

check out my Youtube
May 26, 2006

Satan's on my side
and you wanna brawl?
When the Devil comes
you better heed his Quall

SpaceDrake posted:

To further expand on this, as an effortpost explainer for all the newbies we're getting

This is a real good effortpost. Being a healer in this game is so fun just because you aren't stuck clicking bars and mashing your heals constantly and also you don't need a second set of gear if you want to deal damage you just toggle a stance.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Sinners Sandwich posted:

The only time it wasn't fun was at the exact moment of release when nobody could log in because everybody was trying to log in. This was on Excal so maybe it wasn't as bad on other servers.

Also you were in luck if you liked Haukke Manor since everyone was running it to try out the new jobs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whats up fellow Chapaeu bro. :respek: I'm so looking forward to RDM in FFXIV, if only because I'll actually get to use a sword and not just carrying around a set of elementally themed staves. Very glad that 14 RDM looks to be nothing like FFXI RDM. I eventually grew to hate being nothing but a glorified MP battery and enfeeble bot.

It's funny... RDM was my first job because that way I'd get to do a "little bit of everything" with melee and magic, but in FFXI RDM was hilariously bad at melee, and if you whipped out a sword and starting wailing on mobs in parties, people would get mad because you were basically giving mobs free TP. I remember being really disappointed by this, but I learned to get good at being an MP battery, buffer, debuffer and healer. RDM could completely substitute for WHM in a lot of cases.

What it couldn't do was any form of DPS, which makes DPS RDM in XIV funny to me. Sword didn't do that much damage, and let's just forget its elemental nukes. It could solo really well though, because thanks to its buffs it was drat near impossible to kill.

If I were to redesign RDM for XIV, I probably would have made it a tank class. You would have a mage color for each role. RDM would use buffs and self-heals to keep itself alive, then do nukes \ enfeebles designed to keep hate like Flash \ Provoke. Of course, maybe that's too similar to PLD.

Glagha posted:

I'm certain FFXI was capable of producing fun for people but for every good thing in that game there were 10 godawful poorly designed things in it. There's a reason MMOs aren't made that way anymore.

Yeah, I love the game and have tons of nostalgia for it, but it was horrendously designed. They didn't know how to properly make MMOs until WoW came out.

Hell, even FFXI isn't like old FFXI anymore. If it was, I would have never played it again lol

I just kind put up with the lovely things in FFXI because I loved what it did well so much. And I was in high school \ college and had no life. I would never be able to play a game like circa 2004 FFXI today.

GET IN THE ROBOT fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Feb 17, 2017

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

The only time it wasn't fun was at the exact moment of release when nobody could log in because everybody was trying to log in. This was on Excal so maybe it wasn't as bad on other servers.

Also you were in luck if you liked Haukke Manor since everyone was running it to try out the new jobs.

HW launch was super smooth, unexpectedly so. There was, what, maybe an hour of downtime on early access launch day, and outside of that, no problems at all. It was a bigger issue dealing with the fact that the crush of people in the starter zones meant they had some temporary zone instancing going on that made it a pain to party up with friends.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Tortolia posted:

HW launch was super smooth, unexpectedly so. There was, what, maybe an hour of downtime on early access launch day, and outside of that, no problems at all. It was a bigger issue dealing with the fact that the crush of people in the starter zones meant they had some temporary zone instancing going on that made it a pain to party up with friends.

Yeah, other than the first hour, everything was perfect. I don't think there were any crashes for the entire weekend and if there were they were barely noticeable.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

check out my Youtube posted:

The real sickness is the people who aren't just honest healers in dungeons but also never bothered to cross class cleric stance. I remember being in Coerthas central highland and I saw an astrologian who was in their 40s, was still wearing the level 30 gear they give you when you pick up the job and no other equipment, and was just casting malefic without cleric stance. They weren't doing fates and weren't evidently in any kind of party, they were just killing random mobs at the rate of about 1 every 2-3 minutes.

That's a bot friend.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us

Tortolia posted:

Oh man, no wonder RDM will start at 50. Can you imagine what Quarrymill would look like otherwise?

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bell_ posted:

Oh man, no wonder RDM will start at 50. Can you imagine what Quarrymill would look like otherwise?

It's going to be a fancy hat convention either way, let's not kid ourselves.

Man, I thought there would be some Euro fanfest news today but it looks like it doesn't actually start until around midnight in the US? I guess it's only Sat/Sun.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Thundarr posted:

It's going to be a fancy hat convention either way, let's not kid ourselves.

Man, I thought there would be some Euro fanfest news today but it looks like it doesn't actually start until around midnight in the US?

1:30 pacific time, 4:30 eastern.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gammatron 64 posted:

If I were to redesign RDM for XIV, I probably would have made it a tank class. You would have a mage color for each role. RDM would use buffs and self-heals to keep itself alive, then do nukes \ enfeebles designed to keep hate like Flash \ Provoke. Of course, maybe that's too similar to PLD.

A while back I mused on RDM as a potential DoM tank as well. It could've had defensive cooldowns like Phalanx and Blink. An AoE Gravity spell that functions like Flash but with slow instead of blind (this was before AST came out and claimed gravity). You could even use a couple of En[element] spells as stances. Attack abilities would be a mixture of melee skills and spells naturally.

I hope RDM still gets phalanx and enspells in some form.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I preordered stormblood from gmg awhile ago, Reddit says preorder codes from those have gone out but mine still says pending. What gives lol

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

When I was levelling SCH I went to do the level 56 quest which involved a fixed mob fight in upper la noscea. When I arrived there was already a guy there doing his quest and fighting the mobs so I stood back and waited for him to finish. This guy was not doing very well. He even had his chocobo out and was still losing horribly. I thought "man this fight is probably really drat tough". The guy eventually died and teleported away before I could offer him a rez. I do my quest and beat the mobs in seconds, barely even needed CS. This got me curious....

So I decided to hang around and wait for that first sch to come back. And he did. And he died again. This is when I open up fc chat. The third time he arrived I checked out his gear. He was in blue level 50 gear, not the best blue 50 gear either, and his weapon was a level 41 book. Not a glamoured 41 book, the actual book.

What amazed me most was that he continued to attempt that single fight over and over again despite having no idea what he was doing. I could have offered to help but I think he was beyond help at this point.

I wonder whatever happened to that guy. Maybe he's still there, stuck in his terrible healer gear dying to those level 56 mobs, lost in time....

Tensokuu
May 21, 2010

Somehow, the boy just isn't very buoyant.

Xun posted:

I preordered stormblood from gmg awhile ago, Reddit says preorder codes from those have gone out but mine still says pending. What gives lol

When I preordered from GMG I got a code instantly that I had to plug into the preorder site. That site then shot me an email a few days ago to claim.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Tensokuu posted:

When I preordered from GMG I got a code instantly that I had to plug into the preorder site. That site then shot me an email a few days ago to claim.

Yeah I entered it into the preorder site a few weeks ago. Never got an email for claiming :(

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

So I decided to hang around and wait for that first sch to come back. And he did. And he died again. This is when I open up fc chat. The third time he arrived I checked out his gear. He was in blue level 50 gear, not the best blue 50 gear either, and his weapon was a level 41 book. Not a glamoured 41 book, the actual book.

One problem I wish would be addressed or something in game, is how important weapons (weapon damage) is to casters. It wasn't obvious to me, coming from WoW. If a weapon didn't have the stats like MND or INT I was looking for, it wasn't an upgrade. Hell, it even works like that in the single player FF games.

But then it turns out Weapon Damage is like the single most important stat, including for casters.

I see a lot of tanks, casters or healers in 60 roulettes, with a decent mix of Primal and Shire gear, but they're still using a 200 or 210 weapon. You can at the very least knock out a 240 weapon in a couple of hours these days, which should be the bare minimum people use.

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

One problem I wish would be addressed or something in game, is how important weapons (weapon damage) is to casters. It wasn't obvious to me, coming from WoW. If a weapon didn't have the stats like MND or INT I was looking for, it wasn't an upgrade. Hell, it even works like that in the single player FF games.

But then it turns out Weapon Damage is like the single most important stat, including for casters.

I see a lot of tanks, casters or healers in 60 roulettes, with a decent mix of Primal and Shire gear, but they're still using a 200 or 210 weapon. You can at the very least knock out a 240 weapon in a couple of hours these days, which should be the bare minimum people use.

This is me kind of. I have all 250-270 gear but I'm still rocking a 235 weapon. I can't be assed to grind potd and I've got about 15 SophieEx clears under my belt with no drop.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Kjermzs posted:

This is me kind of. I have all 250-270 gear but I'm still rocking a 235 weapon. I can't be assed to grind potd and I've got about 15 SophieEx clears under my belt with no drop.

Psst.

If you've got 15 clears you can go trade 10 of your tokens in for the Sophia weapon of your choice in Idylshire

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007

Mr. Locke posted:

Psst.

If you've got 15 clears you can go trade 10 of your tokens in for the Sophia weapon of your choice in Idylshire

Oh poo poo, thanks for the pro tip. Still catching up, just started about a month ago and I haven't played since HW launch.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also its something like 1000 lore, 7 clears of A8, and one clear of weeping city and void ark to get a 240 weapon for any class.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Galaga Galaxian posted:

A while back I mused on RDM as a potential DoM tank as well. It could've had defensive cooldowns like Phalanx and Blink. An AoE Gravity spell that functions like Flash but with slow instead of blind (this was before AST came out and claimed gravity). You could even use a couple of En[element] spells as stances. Attack abilities would be a mixture of melee skills and spells naturally.

I hope RDM still gets phalanx and enspells in some form.

Who knows? I'm really itching to see what abilities the new jobs will get and what new areas we'll have, but SE hasn't put out much info on Stormblood.

Although FFXI RDM kinda cribbed those spells from Spellblade \ Mystic Knight. And then they basically made one anyway with Rune Fencer.

Part of me is surprised and kinda sad that you can't cast Haste in this game, but that goes back to balance I suppose and Haste is insanely good in like every FF game.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

When I was levelling SCH I went to do the level 56 quest which involved a fixed mob fight in upper la noscea. When I arrived there was already a guy there doing his quest and fighting the mobs so I stood back and waited for him to finish. This guy was not doing very well. He even had his chocobo out and was still losing horribly. I thought "man this fight is probably really drat tough". The guy eventually died and teleported away before I could offer him a rez. I do my quest and beat the mobs in seconds, barely even needed CS. This got me curious....

What amazed me most was that he continued to attempt that single fight over and over again despite having no idea what he was doing. I could have offered to help but I think he was beyond help at this point.

I wonder whatever happened to that guy. Maybe he's still there, stuck in his terrible healer gear dying to those level 56 mobs, lost in time....

I had a SCH whisper me in Mor Dhona a couple of weeks ago asking for help progressing a quest. It was at some point during when you go into the Castrum, I think before Prae, and the dude complained he couldn't beat the mobs.

Turns out he had no idea Cleric Stance was a thing and I just coached him through adding Cleric Stance to his bar and his damage went way up and he cleared it super easy.

Oni Elem
Jun 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

Also its something like 1000 lore, 7 clears of A8, and one clear of weeping city and void ark to get a 240 weapon for any class.

iirc they changed it to 4 gears for a tomestone at the same time they took away the weekly restriction.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Oni Elem posted:

iirc they changed it to 4 gears for a tomestone at the same time they took away the weekly restriction.

So even easier. Plus if a new person hasn't cleared alex all the way through 8 they'll get almost enough bonus for the weapons just from that.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
If you have to constantly run in and out of melee range to play a red mage. passsss

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Holyshoot posted:

If you have to constantly run in and out of melee range to play a red mage. passsss

It has skills that it uses to move in and out. They displayed moves like repelling shot to jump away and a flying holmgang of sorts to chain yourself to the monster and fly into melee range. It looked pretty sweet and won't be a case of actually having to run in and out.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't lie, I've just been using the i130 set for my SMN ever since I hit 50. It feels like such a waste to buy crappy vendor stuff up until 60 when I'm gonna throw it away forever anyway. In other news:

:toot:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

SonicRulez posted:

I can't lie, I've just been using the i130 set for my SMN ever since I hit 50. It feels like such a waste to buy crappy vendor stuff up until 60 when I'm gonna throw it away forever anyway. In other news:
Absolutely the correct decision, although there's an argument to buy mats for HQ 54 or 56 crafted to tide you over if you haven't gotten a dungeon drop for a slot by then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Ilevel 130 will carry you through everything in HW without much issue. I tanked Gubal Normal at I130 DRK. It wasn't that hard.

Obviously Need anything on the Aery of above and replace it from there, but the 130 set is perfectly serviceable.

If you're planning on playing RDM or whatever, I would recommend getting the mats to get it a full 130 set (IE, farm Poetics and buy I guess Casting gear?) when it comes out so you can avoid having to gear scramble.

• Locked thread