Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So, the charger and the device must negotiate a voltage and current before any charging occurs. To make the magic happen, all the involved gadgets (charger, cable, (hub), (second cable), device) must be able to help them speak to each other in a USB PD compliant fashion. These are the potential sources of problems (afaik).

• Device wants X Watts, announces that to the charger. Charger says "sorry but I can only give you (X - 15) Watts". Device says "fine I'll trickle charge". Nothing burns
  • Device wants X Watts, announces that to the charger. Charger says "sorry but I can only give you (X - 45) Watts". Device says "gently caress that, I'm out". Nothing charges (or burns)
  • Device is plugged to the right charger, but the cable is faulty (wrong wiring, too high resistance to admit the voltage etcetera). Nothing charges (or burns) - if you're lucky. If the cable is seriously hosed you can fry whatever it's plugged into
  • Device wants X Watts, announces that to the charger. Charger thinks it can give X Watts, but is actually only rated for (X - 15), tries to send more electrons than it's actually capable of. Charger burns
  • Device ships with an X Watt charger, but is stupidly set up to request more watts than it can actually handle - which nobody notices as long as the official charger is used. When plugged into another charger rated for > X Watts, it will request more electrons than it can handle. Device burns

If unsure, buy something this dude's given a positive review, he's the authority on all things USB-C

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Spellman posted:

In theory they're not, but they don't want you running your software on two machines simultaneously, so in practice: yea they're stuck on whatever system they're on, unless the games get moved to another one

Same as it ever was
The wording of it sounds like you can at least login to a single Switch and access any digital purchases, without having to worry about doing System Transfer or having a Nintendo CS rep link the purchases to your hardware. I would imagine that there is something which prevents you from linking to 2 separate Switches and accessing purchases on both, though.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

How does the Switch actually connect to the dock? Is it through the USB-C port?

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

yep it's basically a fancy USB-C hub

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

So, the charger and the device must negotiate a voltage and current before any charging occurs. To make the magic happen, all the involved gadgets (charger, cable, (hub), (second cable), device) must be able to help them speak to each other in a USB PD compliant fashion. These are the potential sources of problems (afaik).

• Device wants X Watts, announces that to the charger. Charger says "sorry but I can only give you (X - 15) Watts". Device says "fine I'll trickle charge". Nothing burns
  • Device wants X Watts, announces that to the charger. Charger says "sorry but I can only give you (X - 45) Watts". Device says "gently caress that, I'm out". Nothing charges (or burns)
  • Device is plugged to the right charger, but the cable is faulty (wrong wiring, too high resistance to admit the voltage etcetera). Nothing charges (or burns)
  • Device wants X Watts, announces that to the charger. Charger thinks it can give X Watts, but is actually only rated for (X - 15), tries to send more electrons than it's actually capable of. Charger burns
  • Device ships with an X Watt charger, but is stupidly set up to request more watts than it can actually handle - which nobody notices as long as the official charger is used. When plugged into another charger rated for > X Watts, it will request more electrons than it can handle. Device burns

If unsure, buy something this dude's given a positive review, he's the authority on all things USB-C

looks like i'll be 'switching' to being homeless after my place burns down

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decius posted:

Yeah you can use it. Nintendo even mentioned power banks as a way to extend runtime. It will just charge slower than when using a USB-C wall charger.
People here are just parroting poo poo they read and now all things you plug into a USB-C port will fry your device.

Nintendo has said you can charge it with 5V from any power bank over a USB-A-to-USB-C cable? If so you should be able to charge it with any phone charger as well.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

well why not posted:

looks like i'll be 'switching' to being homeless after my place burns down

Nintendo doesn't gently caress up these things, you'll be fine unless you buy like the nastiest, cheapest dumpster USB PD charger you can custom order.

The real risk is not getting it to charge at all or with enough wattses

littlejoey
Jan 7, 2017
Glad my 2k purchase of a MBP means I can now share my apple charger instead of buying one that will burn my house down.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Nintendo has said you can charge it with 5V from any power bank over a USB-A-to-USB-C cable? If so you should be able to charge it with any phone charger as well.

Their own car adaptor is a 5V/3A one. I would be rather surprised if 5V/2.4A (or less, like with any USB device) wouldn't work just fine, if very slowly.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

irlZaphod posted:

Yup, it's pretty much one of these:

Now, one of those things from a name brand is pretty expensive, so getting one with the Switch is actually pretty cool. I think I'll buy a USB-C extension cable to be able to hook up my laptop to the Switch hub, or maybe I won't because that sounds pretty stupid.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
Yeah a hub cost 40-50 dollar, a USB-C wall charger 20-30. 90 dollar is a bit overpriced, but not outrageously so (Now. Will look expensive in 2-3 years when you get both for less than 20 together).

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Decius posted:

Their own car adaptor is a 5V/3A one. I would be rather surprised if 5V/2.4A (or less, like with any USB device) wouldn't work just fine, if very slowly.

Well, that depends on how whiny it is about negotiating USB PD before trying to charge itself - it's entirely possible that it refuses to charge from a "dumb" adapter and that their car charger is set up to negotiate 15W over USB PD.

I hope Nintendo doesn't limit it in that way, but it could do so to avoid people whining about how slow it charges over their lovely 10 meter USB cable plugged into a phone charger or whatever

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I mean over the next few months we'll have countless posts in the thread about how some idiot can't charge the Switch properly over his "45W USB-C" charger which will very likely be a Qualcomm QC charger or some other nonsense

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Decius posted:

Yeah a hub cost 40-50 dollar, a USB-C wall charger 20-30. 90 dollar is a bit overpriced, but not outrageously so

Lol

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I'm only buying the switch as a method of suicide. I've already purchased the crappiest cable I could find and I made a charger out of a transformer I found and some copper wire.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:rolleyes:

I suspect he meant comparatively not outrageously overpriced.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Cojawfee posted:

I'm only buying the switch as a method of suicide. I've already purchased the crappiest cable I could find and I made a charger out of a transformer I found and some copper wire.

Sadly that won't do the job. No, you'll need to find an adapter that's carefully engineered to catch fire, and an actual good cable that can handle the current:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_7-cCtvF94

Now plug one of those into your fabric-clad power strip, plug in your Switch (with depleted battery), turn the screen brightness to max, do some Zelda and just watch the magic happen

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Cojawfee posted:

I'M COMING FOR YOU IWATA-SAAAAAN!!!

EpicNemesis
Dec 3, 2005
So if you weren't getting your switch until weeks after release do you buy Zelda on the Wii U, wait for the switch, or both?

I'm leaning towards both but I don't want to repeat progress from the Wii U to the switch when I finally get it. And I want it portable for a trip I'm taking soon. I don't know what to do.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

EpicNemesis posted:

So if you weren't getting your switch until weeks after release do you buy Zelda on the Wii U, wait for the switch, or both?

I'm leaning towards both but I don't want to repeat progress from the Wii U to the switch when I finally get it. And I want it portable for a trip I'm taking soon. I don't know what to do.

Try having an ounce of self control

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

ethanol posted:

perhaps you could try the same and refrain from posting

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So what fancy stuff does the dock actually do?

Does it increase processing power or anything? Or does it simply charge + output HDMI?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Dunno but magically with the dock it can do 1080p. Seems pretty hollow though and all of the processor power is in the tablet itself but :iiam:

Glad to see the UI looks good and Nintendo hasn't hosed up anything major...yet.

Crawfish
Dec 11, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Runbow - B0LSQL2P1QXJ5VPS

Looks like I took this. Thanks guy, I appreciate it.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Infinitum posted:

Does it increase processing power or anything? Or does it simply charge + output HDMI?

It doesn't do any processing or even cooling, it's just a dumb hub.

The higher resolution is just because it's plugged into a display that can handle it and because it can use more watts when it's plugged in

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Infinitum posted:

It outputs HDMI, acts as a USB hub, and powers the switch.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Larrymer posted:

Dunno but magically with the dock it can do 1080p. Seems pretty hollow though and all of the processor power is in the tablet itself but :iiam:

Glad to see the UI looks good and Nintendo hasn't hosed up anything major...yet.
There's still quite a few unknowns but I am excite. In 2 weeks time I will have had my Switch for 13 hours, friends.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
So in 2-3 years the Nintendo Switch Plus will launch - slightly slimmer and with a 1080p screen that can handle all the old games in 1080p without any patching needed.

$250 without hub or charger because you've already got those haven't you

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Infinitum posted:

Increases profit margin by 30%

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ethanol posted:

Increases profit margin by 30%

What. You think a lot of people are prepared to pay a lot more for the switch just because it's got an arguably somewhat fancy hub?

I mean some nerds like me will see some value in the charger and hub but most people expect stuff like that for free.

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

You should always avoid purchasing anything because of the inevitable different, possibly improved version being released somewhere down the line.

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Please stop responding to dumb trolls TIA.

Gorgolflox
Apr 2, 2009

Gun Saliva
The Dock puts the Switch in Turbo Mode, I thought this was common knowledge by now

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

gently caress off nerds my house will burn down after I buy my Switch even if I have to do it myself

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Takoluka posted:

You should always avoid purchasing anything because of the inevitable different, possibly improved version being released somewhere down the line.

This kind of worked for me. I owned a NES, then went straight to WiiU with no Nintendo things in between. I got so many great games from those lesser machines! ;)

Nov 24, 2014

• Device is plugged to the right charger, but the cable is faulty (wrong wiring, too high resistance to admit the voltage etcetera). Nothing charges (or burns)

This can definitely damage your hardware:
https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/02/google-engineer-finds-usb-type-c-cable-thats-so-bad-it-fried-his-chromebook-pixel/

Not that this is limited to Type-C, I'm reasonably sure this could happen if you swapped pins around on any power cable.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Can I hook up an external HDD to the dock? I hope moving games between the internal/external storage and the SD card is painless.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

External hard drives aren't supported at launch, I guess because they would only work while docked.

It's the sort of thing that's definitely technically possible, and we may one day see a firmware update for it, but for now, nope.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Ah, that's a shame. But yeah, I guess we'll see it implemented at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HyperPuma
Jun 24, 2007

b-b-b-b-b-b-b-but trump is president

ethanol posted:

• Locked thread