Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014
That icon is certainly a bold choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005

Desk Lamp posted:

That icon is certainly a bold choice.

Why? Because people are idiots? If anything it will most likely educate more people and anyone who acts offended can be laughed at and called names.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy

tjones posted:

Why? Because people are idiots? If anything it will most likely educate more people and anyone who acts offended can be laughed at and called names.

:goonsay:

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

tjones posted:

Thought it was a swastika and inappropriate. I'm sure a lot of others would too.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Thought it was a swastika and inappropriate. I'm sure a lot of others would too.

To be fair, it *is* a Swastika...it's been a Buddhist symbol of peace auspiciousness for thousands of years - just kinda fell out of fashion in the last 80 years or so.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Medullah posted:

To be fair, it *is* a Swastika...it's been a Buddhist symbol of peace auspiciousness for thousands of years - just kinda fell out of fashion in the last 80 years or so.

Yea! Educate yourselves you uncultured swine!

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Axel Rhodes Scholar posted:

I'd go with some one-off Android maps weirdness. Doesn't show up for me at that location.

Me either.

Axel Rhodes Scholar
May 12, 2001

Courage Reactor

Vykk.Draygo posted:

You can answer people's questions without being so loving smug about it. Besides, every buddhist temple I've ever seen on Google Maps has used the Dharma Wheel as it's symbol.

You weren't even the one asking? And if that's what sets you off, no, I can't.

tjones
May 13, 2005
I had to double check the image to make sure I didn't mis-see it. I could see where someone might be offended if it was in the direction of the hooked cross, but it isn't. It is ironic and comical that people would get upset over it.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

tjones posted:

I had to double check the image to make sure I didn't mis-see it. I could see where someone might be offended if it was in the direction of the hooked cross, but it isn't. It is ironic and comical that people would get upset over it.

Seriously tho, :goonsay:

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Drunk Tomato posted:

Seriously tho, :goonsay:

:goonsay:

You're an idiot if a manji offends you.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
I like to walk around work slipping "niggardly" into casual conversation. Look it up idiots! I call cigarettes fags even though I live in the United States.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

tjones posted:

This is dumb as heck

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

Hey all, are there any good/free apps to act basically as a parental control?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Oryp posted:

Hey all, are there any good/free apps to act basically as a parental control?

There's some stuff built into android and the play store, this basically covers it

Like it says, if you want stuff like browser filtering you'll need apps, but it depends what you want really

Oryp
Jun 5, 2004

baka kaba posted:

There's some stuff built into android and the play store, this basically covers it

Like it says, if you want stuff like browser filtering you'll need apps, but it depends what you want really

Sorry, I should have been more specific heh. I'm mainly looking for the ability to set manual URLs through a browser filter.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Sexual attraction in this context is not a part of my programming
Is asking about alternative Snapchat clients classes as Filez? Would rather not get a ban

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Pruney posted:

Is asking about alternative Snapchat clients classes as Filez? Would rather not get a ban

I don't even understand why this would even be a question, but then again I don't know anything about snapchat either.

To be clear, unless there is something special about snapchat, the answer to your question is "no".

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

It's probably because he wants to use it to save things that aren't supposed to be saved, which is a bit of a grey area

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

The Duggler posted:

It's probably because he wants to use it to save things that aren't supposed to be saved, which is a bit of a grey area

Oh, I have a hard time caring about that.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

Well I'll simply ask, if anyone has the knowledge. Are there any other Snapchat apps that aren't Casper? It's down the majority of the time.

Thankyou in advance

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

Pruney posted:

Well I'll simply ask, if anyone has the knowledge. Are there any other Snapchat apps that aren't Casper? It's down the majority of the time.

Thankyou in advance
I can't remember the last time I heard of one, Snapchat actively tries to block them. There was an Xposed module at one point but, last I heard, the dev gave up on it. I'm probably not the best source though since I haven't used Snapchat or rooted my phone in a while now.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

I also don't have my phone rooted which I've never got round to doing, should probably change that.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Pruney posted:

I also don't have my phone rooted which I've never got round to doing, should probably change that.
It really depends. I always rooted my phones up until last March when I got the S7 Edge and I haven't missed it at all.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

One of the main reasons I would want it rooted is that I can't touch my phone while in work as I got a slapped wrist a while back but if I could remote onto it, that would save me the trouble.

Can I remote onto the phone without rooting?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pruney posted:

One of the main reasons I would want it rooted is that I can't touch my phone while in work as I got a slapped wrist a while back but if I could remote onto it, that would save me the trouble.

Lol just leave your phone alone at work dude, don't root, it's more trouble than it's worth.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

Yeah, if you wanna goof off at work, you gotta get serious and use Remote Desktop

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It sucks that you have such a horrible job that they can't trust you with a phone, but I guess given that you've been punished, they're right out it.

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

It was just me going on my phone a bit too much and someone complained, no biggie. It was just a thought anyway but I got SA to keep me busy :~)

RisqueBarber
Jul 10, 2005

Pruney posted:

It was just me going on my phone a bit too much and someone complained, no biggie. It was just a thought anyway but I got SA to keep me busy :~)

Don't forget your job

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pruney posted:

Oh my god I'd hate it if you were on my team

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

You'll understand if you ever worked on IT Support, it's not a constant job and don't make assumptions based on a single thing someone says lads.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

If you want a collection of dick pics there are easier ways than shady off market apps

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Pruney posted:

You'll understand if you ever worked on IT Support, it's not a constant job and don't make assumptions based on a single thing someone says lads.

I work in IT, you sound like a terrible employee hth

Pruney
Jul 9, 2012

CLAM DOWN posted:

I work in IT, you sound like a terrible employee hth

CLAM DOWN mate.

Back on topic

Is there any point using the GMail app or should I just get Inbox instead?

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Pruney posted:

Reasons I became an Android developer.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Pruney posted:

CLAM DOWN mate.

Back on topic

Is there any point using the GMail app or should I just get Inbox instead?

Both my wife and I tried Inbox for about a week. Neither of us thought it was worth sticking with, with the way we manage our messages. But if it works for you, then use it.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I'm that guy with two thousand unread messages and I'm generally hands-off with my email. It's nice letting Inbox categorize stuff for me and it does a good job at making personal emails from real people stick out. It did take some getting used to in the beginning, but if your use case is like mine, it'll be good.

EDIT: I don't have many labels, but I think it would manage those very well too.

azurite fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Feb 18, 2017

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

I prefer Gmail to Inbox, but I stay at "inbox zero", so the benefits of Inbox are kinda lost on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

XIII posted:

I prefer Gmail to Inbox, but I stay at "inbox zero", so the benefits of Inbox are kinda lost on me.

I also don't have anything in my inbox, but I don't prefer either Gmail or Inbox and since I switched to Inbox to try it out I just never switched back.