Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

evilweasel posted:

Because they went with AMD processors, which were cheaper, and figured that they could force people to code for eight cores to make up for the lovely per-core power because at least with consoles you've got a fixed hardware spec.

That's not quite the whole story, because they're Jaguar cores, netbook class. Nowhere near as good as even Bulldozer. But, they are low power, which I would guess is the reason they were chosen. They are cheap cores that don't chow down on much power. Ideal for use in an inexpensive small box when you don't want to make too much noise. Throwing 8 of them in just means they could use some for the OS, and leave the multi-threading of games up to developers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

2000-2001 was also a time when Intel started using every trick (both legal and illegal) possible to make up for getting owned by Jim Keller's second brainchild and managed to hit a two-decade jackpot in the form of anticompetitive laptop contracts.

Josh Lyman posted:

Intel was getting killed in those P3 days though.
All this is true but I think the Xbox example does show that Intel is willing to be very competitive on price if it gives them some sort of advantage, even if it is just to screw over a competitor. They sold Atoms for below cost for a fair while too if you want a different example.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
For what it's worth (nothing?), I just ran the Blender benchmark on a dual Xeon X5680 3.33ghz / 48GB workstation (2011 Westmere) . Getting a time in the 27s, so 2s slower than the Ryzen machine with 50% extra cores but 0.12ghz deficit. (Disclaimer: I was using Blender v2.71 not 2.78a) 32.5s if I limit to a matching 16 threads.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Feb 17, 2017

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!
It's way more likely that Intel didn't have the time to design a proper GPU core and saw it as quite low margin for the amount of effort they'd have to put in. Not impossible for Intel to make a decent GPU, just not worth their time.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

For what it's worth (nothing?), I just ran the Blender benchmark on a dual Xeon X5680 3.33ghz / 48GB workstation (2011 Westmere) . Getting a time in the 27s, so 2s slower than the Ryzen machine with 50% extra cores but 0.12ghz deficit. (Disclaimer: I was using Blender v2.71 not 2.78a)

So that would be what, 8 core 2 CPU Intel vs 8 core 1 CPU Ryzen? Yeah.. a wash.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

The X5680 is a 6c/12t.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Bluth posted:

The X5680 is a 6c/12t.

Oh so 12 core vs 8 core? Yeah thats hard to form any kind of opinion about.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Well, that, and it's from 2008/9.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Speaking of AMDs Blender benchmark, the new version of Blender snuck this in

quote:

Multiple improvements for the latest AVX2 CPUS:
Optimized various math utilities (cross-products, dot-products, min-axis-selection and others).
Faster version of triangle intersection function.
Optimization of various steps in BVH traversal algorithm (including both construction and traversal).

That's unfortunate timing for AMD, any reviewers who replicate their test will probably get more favorable results on Intel chips now :v:

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
What happens if you change the processor affinity for the blender benchmark to match 8c16t?

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

repiv posted:

That's unfortunate timing for AMD, any reviewers who replicate their test will probably get more favorable results on Intel chips now :v:
They'll get to run it about 3 times before their mobo's auxiliary VRMs fry

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

What happens if you change the processor affinity for the blender benchmark to match 8c16t?
If I set affinity to 16t, about 43s.

I think the conclusion is it's definitely time to request some new shinier workstations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Boiled Water posted:

This leaves the question why pay for eight lovely cores when four would've done the job?

Because 4 cores wouldn't be available fast enough to do what they wanted, at a price the console makers could stand while keeping the console affordable.

And don't forget that the Xbox 360 was already 3 core/6 thread. So many common game engines already had optimization for at least that many threads. This sometimes even caused problems for PC ports: games like GTA IV on the PC just plain refused to run well on single core or dual core systems that people had at the time the ports came out, but ran great on higher core/thread counts afterwards.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Wild speculation :derp:

1888 @ 3.5

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

PC LOAD LETTER posted:

That is certainly possible but IIRC there were rumors that Intel did a surprisingly low bid for the original Xbox CPU. I don't think the legit CPU cost was ever leaked but I do remember some public comments that AMD thought they had that contract sewed up and were shocked by how low Intel was willing to go.

I thought Intel's deal let them charge the same price throughout the life of the console. So instead of the cost going down over the life of the console, Intel kept getting to charge the same price for a laughably out-dated CPU

wargames
Mar 16, 2008

official yospos cat censor

Risky Bisquick posted:

Wild speculation :derp:

1888 @ 3.5

is that good or bad?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

wargames posted:

is that good or bad?

That's better than what I'm seeing from a 4.5GHz 6700k so I'd say really, really good. I have no idea what that benchmark consists of though.

PC LOAD LETTER
May 23, 2005
WTF?!

WhyteRyce posted:

I thought Intel's deal let them charge the same price throughout the life of the console. So instead of the cost going down over the life of the console, Intel kept getting to charge the same price for a laughably out-dated CPU
I don't know any of the details, there was just lots of rumors that they were selling for below cost to under bid AMD.

Its possible they would've eventually made money somehow but the deal seemed to be more about trying to keep AMD from getting a profitable niche, even a low profit one (AMD supposedly was pitching a cheap Duron 800-900Mhz variant), rather than making money.

wargames posted:

is that good or bad?
Its good but its a synth bench so don't get too hyped yet.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

wargames posted:

is that good or bad?

Literally anyone with Windows can try that out for themselves for free in moments, so

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Anime Schoolgirl posted:

2000-2001 was also a time when Intel started using every trick (both legal and illegal) possible to make up for getting owned by Jim Keller's second brainchild and managed to hit a two-decade jackpot in the form of anticompetitive laptop contracts.
That was more 2003-2005, when AMD 64 was pissing all over Netburst and yet you could rarely find an Athlon 64 in a pre-built system.

2000-2001 was when Netburst was superseding the PIII but Intel had a lot of fab space available for PIII cores and thus cheap Xbox contracts.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

WhyteRyce posted:

That's very normal for console CPUs. The initial price usually is less than what the CPU maker could have had, but then they get to keep the same price for 5-10 years of manufacture and come out ahead once production really ramps up.

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

wargames posted:

is that good or bad?

My i7-3820 @ 4.0 GHz got 1422 and 6458 for single and multi threaded respectively.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I7 7700K @ 4700 w/DDR4 3000
2337 and 9925

Looks like Ryzen has the upper hand with multithread and loses single thread. Based on clock speeds I am very impressed with heat/vs core count and not impressed by single thread performance at all.

redeyes fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Feb 18, 2017

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
A 3.5GHz Ryzen vs a 4.7GHz 7700k isn't the best comparison though, we will have to wait to figure out how high Ryzen will clock.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Hmmmm, my 5820K@4GHz w/ DDR4-2400 CL12 does 1781 and 11292.

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

MaxxBot posted:

That's better than what I'm seeing from a 4.5GHz 6700k so I'd say really, really good. I have no idea what that benchmark consists of though.

Not in single-thread. I got 2000/8778 on my 6700K at stock (their reference values say 2031/8554). That said, it's clocked a bit higher so we'll see how close single-thread scales clock for clock.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Just hoping it can hit at least 4.5GHz reliably. Much less then that - meh. I really do wonder about how fast the memory controller will clock also.

6600K @ 4.4Ghz / 3600 Ram scores 2234 / 8660.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Feb 18, 2017

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005
Stock 5775c is getting 1772/7500~

4.1 OC gets 1971/8484~

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

If and only if it scales perfectly clock for clock, which is highly unlikely, then at 4.2 GHz (stock 6700K turbo) it'll bench 2265 in single thread. Following the same idealistic points/MHz scale, at 4.8 GHz it would score 2589 in single thread.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Ye old 3930K at 4.6Ghz with 2133 DDR3 gets 1734/11046 which puts it on par with a 5930K at least.

EdEddnEddy fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Feb 21, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
My L7500 @ 1.6 GHz does 214/425.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

This appears to be a very large upgrade over my Pentium MMX

Haquer
Nov 15, 2009

That windswept look...
Phenom II X6 @ 3.9ghz is 771/4211

Guess I need to upgrade sometime :v:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
My overclocked i5 750 is good for 1249/4355

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

my abacus couldn't even compile the benchmark

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

1208/7525 out of the FX-8350 lol

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

VostokProgram posted:

my abacus couldn't even compile the benchmark

I'm just imagining a whole room full of tiny Chinese men worrying away on abacuses for weeks, hand calculating each instruction. A brilliant young one comes up with a mechanical apparatus that allows them to do mechanical AND, OR, NOT and NOR via an incredibly complex series of levers. He is beaten to death by the others because they don't want their cushy 2 year contract to disappear.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wanna see something inflammatory?
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/832583990284517381

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

That is pretty funny.

Also that first gen i5 beating "modern" AMD's lol.

Thank God Ryzen appears to be a break from that trend.

Do you think it could be possible they are seeing it OC to 5Ghz on Air/Water?

Or OMG this thing doesn't OC at all? (I wouldn't imagine they would have wide eyes and be "Promoting" this if it was garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The clarification is they're actually impressed with the score at stock.

• Locked thread