Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

BurritoJustice posted:

I just can't wrap my head around how much this fucks everyone that plays the physical game. Cards aren't cheap and they just made a massive amount of decks completely unplayable.

I know Konami likes to push their new poo poo hard but this is just silly.

Decks they're still selling cards for at this very minute no less

Not to mention how non-ignorable this mechanic is. The message is basically if you want to use your extra deck at all play link monsters or go gently caress yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Blockhouse posted:

Decks they're still selling cards for at this very minute no less

The D/D/D Executives aren't even released - hell, some aren't even revealed yet. In Extra Deck swarm: the archetype. I can't even laugh.

Holding out hope for D/D Savant Turing with all 3 back arrows or they're DoA.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Super glad I quit the physical card game around Synchros

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
As someone whoprimarily cares about getting big cool monsters out and playing decks as purely to an archetype as possible this sort of kills the game for me

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

As someone whoprimarily cares about getting big cool monsters out and playing decks as purely to an archetype as possible this sort of kills the game for me

Why? There are a shitload of archetypes that will now actually be able to compete that were power-creeped out of existence by extra-deck focused decks. Decks that use extra deck monsters as actual bosses instead of glorified stepping stones like Red-Eyes and Dark Magician are barely even affected by the changes. :confused:

Infernoids and monarchs are going to get murdered in the first ban-list though.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Feb 17, 2017

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I stopped playing locals a while ago because I just can't afford to keep getting new decks, but I always like seeing how the meta changes or going on Devpro and messing around with poo poo. This is not a change I care for as someone who likes his dumb boss monsters and the ability to toss out extra deck like crazy. Like I get wanting to not make the extra deck as much of a monster as it is, but this just sounds like the want to center the game around the new card type they made with obtuse mechanics and slowing the game down horribly.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

MiddleOne posted:

Why? There are a shitload of archetypes that will now actually be able to compete that were power-creeped out of existence by extra-deck focused decks. :confused:

Decks that use extra deck monsters as actual bosses instead of glorified stepping stones like Red-Eyes and Dark Magician are barely even affected by the changes.
Because i dont just want one boss monster out

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Captain Baal posted:

I stopped playing locals a while ago because I just can't afford to keep getting new decks, but I always like seeing how the meta changes or going on Devpro and messing around with poo poo. This is not a change I care for as someone who likes his dumb boss monsters and the ability to toss out extra deck like crazy. Like I get wanting to not make the extra deck as much of a monster as it is, but this just sounds like the want to center the game around the new card type they made with obtuse mechanics and slowing the game down horribly.

I don't want to give a complaint before the thing is out (as I said before, my main complaint is with changing everything in an already-established game, not the actual changes themselves) but this genuinely irks me. The new mechanics basically force you to play Link Monsters if you want to actually use your Extra Deck, otherwise you get one Extra Monster and that's it. Nothing more.

I'm not even sure how this is meant to work with Synchro decks that want to use Synchro Tuners, since now you forcefully have to have Linked zones for that. It doesn't seem very well thought-out.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
Boy, I do feel bad for the people who dumped above 500 bucks for Zoodiacs this past weekend.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

I don't want to give a complaint before the thing is out (as I said before, my main complaint is with changing everything in an already-established game, not the actual changes themselves) but this genuinely irks me. The new mechanics basically force you to play Link Monsters if you want to actually use your Extra Deck, otherwise you get one Extra Monster and that's it. Nothing more.

I'm not even sure how this is meant to work with Synchro decks that want to use Synchro Tuners, since now you forcefully have to have Linked zones for that. It doesn't seem very well thought-out.

Link monsters can theoretically provide up to 3 spaces on their own (looking at the design of what is already released) and additionally you can get spaces from your opponent link monsters. It won't become impossible, just more difficult as you'll now be more reliant on non-synchro materials and not messing up your positioning.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Pretty sneaky. Anyone running a Fusion/Synchro/Xyz deck will have to run Link monsters too in order to stay viable, ensuring sales.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Captain Baal posted:

I don't understand this mechanic or how it works at all

it's because we're old

i really don't get changing how extra deck summons work after like 20 years of establishing them, this seems like a decision that's gonna kick 'em in the rear end later on

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I for one am glad that Bahamut Shark is getting hit.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

This really cant work without retroactive link-ifying other decks.
gently caress me im gonna miss synchro swarms.
(But not xyz swarms gently caress those)

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010
I haven't fully read all these changes; does this make raidraptors/Ultimate Falcon better?

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This really cant work without retroactive link-ifying other decks.
gently caress me im gonna miss synchro swarms.
(But not xyz swarms gently caress those)

Why? So far the links revealed are generic, any deck that can swarm can summon them.

Generic Octopus posted:

I haven't fully read all these changes; does this make raidraptors/Ultimate Falcon better?

Completely screws over the deck with what is revealed so far.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

To complicate matters even further you have monsters like this guy:

That enables summoning extra-deck monsters next to him if he's not in the new zones.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

On the plus side, these convoluted rules plus the new Lightsworn support may mean that it's Twilight's turn in the spotlight again.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

MiddleOne posted:

Why? So far the links revealed are generic, any deck that can swarm can summon them.

Yeah but many decks are starved for space as is, its like the meta tech tax (solemns and the like) except you actually really need them for a deck to function.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I have a feeling that Fluffals will be able to get away without too much of a hit here since the main method of swarming with fusions is with Sabre-Tooth, who can revive fusions to the main zones..

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Dabir posted:

I have a feeling that Fluffals will be able to get away without too much of a hit here since the main method of swarming with fusions is with Sabre-Tooth, who can revive fusions to the main zones..

Fluffals also have easy access to link-monsters through mouse.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Oh and some decks also have their swarming gated by their extra deck access.
So its a crapshoot either way. Some decks wont get affected much, but my beloved synchro turbo decks get screwed.

(Again.)

(Unless they come out with synchronized links come on it sounds cool do it konami)

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Just wait until we get a Link monster that has really good links but locks you into only synchro summons. Then cry when you have to find space in the extra deck for it.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I'm probably in the minority, in that I'm optimistic to see how the game shapes up with this new mechanic, buy I'm not gonna sugar-coat it; this sucks for a lot of players, both old and new. It really comes down to how Konami handles the power/spamability of the link monsters, so we'll see.

Krakatoah
Jul 8, 2009

Super High-School Level Bean-dog
I don't think these Link Monsters are going to slow down my Magnet Warriors deck much at all, then again I haven't gotten much of an extra deck for it yet and I'm only using three copies of Imperion Magnum.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Krakatoah posted:

I don't think these Link Monsters are going to slow down my Magnet Warriors deck much at all, then again I haven't gotten much of an extra deck for it yet and I'm only using three copies of Imperion Magnum.

Haha, I think not slowing decks like Magnet Warriors is the entire point of how its structured. The mechanic is mostly irrelevant for decks that solely interact with the extra deck for boss monsters and the occasional rank toolbox monster.

EDIT:Then I quickly youtubed to see where magnet warrior decks are currently at leading me to this guy and now I'm not so sure anymore.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Feb 18, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

There's at least one deck that relies on the extra deck that won't be bothered much by Link summoning:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DEbXornxGg

Oops.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Molmorat might literally be the worst designed card to ever see print which says a lot considering how tall the Yugioh ban list is.

EDIT: Like the only redeeming fact about both of those combos are that at least the link mechanic denies further access to the extra deck after they're done. Effectively, making them less egregious than the current iterations of the combo. But at that point the Molmorat player has also gone plus all over the place from a 1-card combo so yeah...

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Feb 18, 2017

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Molmorat/Ratpier itself isn't the problem, IMO. It's the fact that it's a Beast-Warrior (Tenki) and that Zoodiac Barrage/Elemental Triangle exist.

I still say put Rat to 2 and Barrage to 1, and then the deck loses most of it's power/speed.

BurritoJustice
Oct 9, 2012

Man zone placement becoming relevant is going to be a huge pain for tournament play, nobody plays with mats with zones on them (especially not ones that have the new zone locations) and it's going to cause a huge amount of confusion/rulesharking.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

BurritoJustice posted:

Man zone placement becoming relevant is going to be a huge pain for tournament play, nobody plays with mats with zones on them (especially not ones that have the new zone locations) and it's going to cause a huge amount of confusion/rulesharking.

This isn't the first time they tried to make Zone placement "A thing". One just needs to look at Cyberdark Impact

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
zone placement is very bad and i'm still not clear on if this new link zone replaces a monster card zone or is in addition to the 5 currently here

also what zone the link facing down on the card represents, monsters can't go in the spell zone (usually)

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

mandatory lesbian posted:

zone placement is very bad and i'm still not clear on if this new link zone replaces a monster card zone or is in addition to the 5 currently here

also what zone the link facing down on the card represents, monsters can't go in the spell zone (usually)

It's in addition, they go between the two player's monster zones. So the arrows pointing down point to a monster zone. If you summon it in a regular monster zone with links, the current theory is that only left and right arrows count.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

It's in addition, they go between the two player's monster zones. So the arrows pointing down point to a monster zone. If you summon it in a regular monster zone with links, the current theory is that only left and right arrows count.

ah okay, that makes sense, thanks

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?
Me and a few friends went and saw the new Yu-Gi-Oh! movie when it was in theaters, and we were inspired to get back into the game after about 10+ years.

So I wanted to build a deck around my favorite card ever, my Red-Eyes Black Dragon! And oh look, there's all these new Red-Eyes cards that make this deck pretty solidly viable, at least in locals!

So I found some deck profiles I liked, figured out the rough strategies for them, bought the cards I needed, and finally, just a few days ago, got my main deck finished and 14/15 of my extra deck cards! My friend and I played for a few hours yesterday and it was awesome!

Oh hey, there's a Yu-Gi-Oh! thread on SA, let's see what's going on in there, since they definitely know more about this than I do!

Oh no.

Oh god no. I may have picked the wrong time to get back into the game...:smith:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

You should be good, for a while. The Link stuff won't be coming to the TCG for quite some time.

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Dexie posted:

You should be good, for a while. The Link stuff won't be coming to the TCG for quite some time.

That's a relief at least. I just hope my deck doesn't get hit too hard when Links come our way.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Be glad it wasnt during deagon rulers

Beeeeee glaaaaaaaaaaaaad

Skeleton Mom
Aug 11, 2008

Red-Eyes should be fine when Links comes around. I don't think it usually has more than one extra deck monster on board at any given time anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Yeah Red Eyes Fusion literally says "this is the only thing you're doing this turn" so it fits in just fine.

• Locked thread