Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulpa
Aug 8, 2014

silvergoose posted:

I have a friend from Ukraine/Russia and there's this 3 player game that he loves and it sounded so bizarre and I couldn't wrap my head around the rules.

The game my family always played was Durak, in which there are no winners, only one loser, the player who still has cards at the end of the game. Each turn you are attacking the person to your left by playing cards from your hand. If they successfully defend against it, the cards are discarded, otherwise they have to pick up all cards played thus far. There are rules about what are legal plays and my family always played with the highly chaotic variant where other players can throw down extra cards for attack (but not defense). The Durak had to shuffle the deck, so I never learned to shuffle well because I tried to avoid being the loser as much as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

rchandra posted:

If he's a stereotypical crazy Russian, try introducing EHAA Twos (weak-2 in all four suits, showing 5+ cards, 6-12 HCP and any suit quality - A3 AKJT 65 65432 is a mandatory 2C opening). Play with a 10-12 notrump, so your 1 bids end up super solid and your opening passes show utter trash.

Every Hand's An Adventure! (Seriously, the times I've played that have been so much fun).

lmao I'll see if the group wants to try that. I'll look it up, that sounds hysterical. We use weak 2's except 2c ofcourse, 15-17 1nt, 5c majors, shoot for 25 points for game, y'know, basically just standard.

Aston
Nov 19, 2007

Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay
Okay

unpronounceable posted:

This classic card game talk reminded me of a game that was mentioned in Characteristics of Games, Skitgubbe. I looked at the rules when I first read the book, but have since forgotten them. From the brief mention, it's played in two parts. First is a trick taking game, where you collect cards for the second half. Second is trying to get rid of the cards "in a rummy like phase". I remember being interested to see how it played out, but never got around to trying it. Is anyone familiar with it?

From the Wizards of the Coast website (of all places):

Rules of Skittegubbe posted:

Object: The last person to get rid of his or her cards in Phase 2 must make a goat noise. The object is to avoid being this person.

I'm sold

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

blackmongoose posted:

I have finally managed to get my lunch group at work to wrap their heads around the concept of weak 2's after a year, so naturally I really want to try this now.

silvergoose posted:

lmao I'll see if the group wants to try that. I'll look it up, that sounds hysterical. We use weak 2's except 2c ofcourse, 15-17 1nt, 5c majors, shoot for 25 points for game, y'know, basically just standard.

Traditionally EHAA is played with 4-card majors but there's no problem with playing 5-card, and the rest of the system like standard for ease of memory - that's what I've always done. The important thing is an EHAA 2 takes priority over opening 1NT or 1-suit, and in response new suit is non-forcing, raise/2NT is invitational, and jump shift is game forcing. In general if your partner opens with one of a suit, you want to respond 1-2 points lighter than standard since their hand is unlimited.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
What are some compact good for travel games that are good for 3+ players? Going to spend about a day travelling on trains soon with people, and I've said I'd bring some.

I have already:

- Love Letter
- Code Names
- Hanabi
- The Resistance
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- HMS Dolores
- Sushi Go/Party

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Finally got the first Scenario of Gloomhaven off the ground and finished to completion. We went in with a Brute (least experienced), a Mindshaper (most experienced and has his own copy) and a Scoundrel (me, owner). Having only self healing for all of us hurt a little, especially for the player playing the Brute. I also learned some rules I missed due to not reading the book thoroughly enough (it's not FF bad, but it could be better). We did have to restart it once due to picking a Road event choice that utterly hosed us due to the lack of healing.

Should a Gloomhaven thread be made?

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I can see how Inis does some cool stuff if everyone at the table knows the game very well, but it's gone over poorly with my group. The combat in particular really rubs me the wrong way because I can be punished for my opponent making a mistake. A fight goes on until everyone involved agrees to stop; if a player continues fighting when this is the wrong choice, that is to say they are hurting their board state more than helping it by continuing to commit resources to the fight, they drag themselves down AND drag down everyone else in the fight. Trying to judge the reaction of other players should be part of the game, but you get punished just as much as your opponent for their over-commitment and this feels REAAAALY lovely.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

The_Doctor posted:

What are some compact good for travel games that are good for 3+ players? Going to spend about a day travelling on trains soon with people, and I've said I'd bring some.

I have already:

- Love Letter
- Code Names
- Hanabi
- The Resistance
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- HMS Dolores
- Sushi Go/Party

Martian Dice is OK. It will also help keep kids satisfied if there will be any.
Skull.
Where Art Thou Romeo? One of the smallest games ever.
The Quiet Year. One sheet of paper, some pencils, a deck of cards and a copy of the rules. Though it may be a bit heavy in theme for "train gaming".

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

There's certainly enough interest in the game, but I don't know if enough people have it to warrant a separate thread, just due to the supply constraints. I could see it going either way. :shrug:

I would definitely post there if the reservation I got via my FLGS comes through... :ohdear:

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Tulpa posted:

The game my family always played was Durak, in which there are no winners, only one loser, the player who still has cards at the end of the game. Each turn you are attacking the person to your left by playing cards from your hand. If they successfully defend against it, the cards are discarded, otherwise they have to pick up all cards played thus far. There are rules about what are legal plays and my family always played with the highly chaotic variant where other players can throw down extra cards for attack (but not defense). The Durak had to shuffle the deck, so I never learned to shuffle well because I tried to avoid being the loser as much as possible.

Durak was the best. The goal at family gatherings was to just not finish the night as the Durak. It could get pretty antagonistic. Grudges were held.

The designer games revolution came a decade too late for my dad's family. They would have played the hell out of this stuff. We played an absurd amount of Durak, Euchre, Cribbage, Hearts, etc when I was growing up. Chess, Risk, Stock Ticker, etc. But now my dad lives halfway across the world and my grandparents have passed. :(

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Fenn the Fool! posted:

I can see how Inis does some cool stuff if everyone at the table knows the game very well, but it's gone over poorly with my group. The combat in particular really rubs me the wrong way because I can be punished for my opponent making a mistake. A fight goes on until everyone involved agrees to stop; if a player continues fighting when this is the wrong choice, that is to say they are hurting their board state more than helping it by continuing to commit resources to the fight, they drag themselves down AND drag down everyone else in the fight. Trying to judge the reaction of other players should be part of the game, but you get punished just as much as your opponent for their over-commitment and this feels REAAAALY lovely.

Retreat if you can. If you can't and they're committed to destroying you for some reason then you get two free guys anywhere. Even at the cost of a deed that's a power play that will probably give you a victory condition if there are a lot of sanctuaries on the board, or at least deny someone else theirs.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Xelkelvos posted:

Finally got the first Scenario of Gloomhaven off the ground and finished to completion. We went in with a Brute (least experienced), a Mindshaper (most experienced and has his own copy) and a Scoundrel (me, owner). Having only self healing for all of us hurt a little, especially for the player playing the Brute. I also learned some rules I missed due to not reading the book thoroughly enough (it's not FF bad, but it could be better). We did have to restart it once due to picking a Road event choice that utterly hosed us due to the lack of healing.

Also played the first scenario last night. Party was Brute/Cragheart (me)/Spellweaver/Scoundrel. We won, but it was close (we had maybe a round left to finish the last room or we would have been hosed). Definitely as tactical as advertised. I was a bit disappointed at how many immediate edge cases we encountered in the rules, as one of the players I'll be playing with when I crack open my copy (this was a friend's at game night's) is going to have some trouble I think, especially because it's very much a co op where there isn't going to be a whole lot of hand holding or QBing.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Feb 17, 2017

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

al-azad posted:

Retreat if you can. If you can't and they're committed to destroying you for some reason then you get two free guys anywhere. Even at the cost of a deed that's a power play that will probably give you a victory condition if there are a lot of sanctuaries on the board, or at least deny someone else theirs.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone win by Sanctuaries. They just don't pop out quick enough as compared to the exploration or dominance victories.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Cities in Ruin, a new small box expansion for Eldritch Horror, was announced today.

I like the look of the Disaster deck, permanently destroying cities seems like a fun mechanic

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

jivjov posted:

Cities in Ruin, a new small box expansion for Eldritch Horror, was announced today.

I like the look of the Disaster deck, permanently destroying cities seems like a fun mechanic

Is it just me or are they cranking these out faster than they did for AH? I don't know how to organize this poo poo anymore!

lordsummerisle
Aug 4, 2013

T-Bone posted:

Also played the first scenario last night. Party was Brute/Cragheart (me)/Spellweaver/Scoundrel. We won, but it was close (we maybe a round left to finish the last room or we would have been hosed). Definitely as tactical as advertised. I was a bit disappointed at how many immediate edge cases we encountered in the rules, as one of the players I'll be playing with when I crack open my copy (this was a friend's at game night's) is going to have some trouble I think, especially because it's very much a co op where there isn't going to be a whole lot of hand holding or QBing.

MY gf can get very AP prone espescially if she is not sure of all the systems in a new game. A bit nervous for how the first game will go. I am considering doing open hands without increasing the difficulty for the first mission. Just so everyone is clear on their characters cards and general gameflow.

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

If you can make it a couple levels at least one of those classes will have an option to heal other characters.

Also, re: rules, this official FAQ is a good one to have bookmarked:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1687146/official-faq

Strange Cares
Nov 22, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think I've ever seen anyone win by Sanctuaries. They just don't pop out quick enough as compared to the exploration or dominance victories.

I've done it/seen it done a few times, as either a sneaky win with a bunch of deeds after a strategic retreat, or as the secondary win condition after a tie. Even if you don't win via sanctuary, imo it's usually worth building some up in your tiles as a fallback and for those sweet sweet epic tale cards.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

Xelkelvos posted:

I'd sub to a Gloomhaven thread and post a fair amount in it. We're starting our campaign on Monday and I'm excited. Looking like a Cragheart, Scoundrel, Tinkerer, and Mindthief group. I can already tell this'll be a hard one to get as many plays in as I'd like (in terms of coordinating schedules) but hey, that's what having multiple campaigns is for.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Anyone playing Gloomhaven on TTS?

Medium Style
Oct 11, 2002

I got Herbaceous and Hanamikoji the other day. I have a thing for small, colorful card games.

Anyone else play Herbaceous? I played a few 2P games and I was pretty disappointed. The decisions seemed arbitrary until the right card happened to come out, and then it was obvious. It felt like watered-down Jaipur. I'm expecting/hoping that it will be better with more players and more things to consider when making moves.

Hanamikoji was an instant hit for me. There are actions you can take in which you choose cards to offer to your opponent and force them to make a choice. Setting that up and watching them agonize over your offer was fun every time. Very happy with that one.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I'd be down for a Gloomhaven thread.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Xelkelvos posted:

No. Every time somebody makes a game specific thread it dies after a couple weeks. Just keep it in here, it'll be a nice change from the endless Feast for Odin posts.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

GrandpaPants posted:

Is it just me or are they cranking these out faster than they did for AH?

EH will have had seven expansions in four years since launch where AH had six, but in the first three years from launch they both had five releases. It maybe feels faster because the pattern for EH so far is 2-2-1-2 while AH was 2-1-2-1-1-1.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

GrandpaPants posted:

I can usually count on it if mountains are one of the initial tiles.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

The_Doctor posted:

I have already:

- Love Letter
- Code Names
- Hanabi
- The Resistance
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- HMS Dolores
- Sushi Go/Party

I'd recommend adding Red7, Parade, For Sale, and Arboretum to the list.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Feb 17, 2017

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Medium Style posted:

Anyone else play Herbaceous? I played a few 2P games and I was pretty disappointed. The decisions seemed arbitrary until the right card happened to come out, and then it was obvious. It felt like watered-down Jaipur. I'm expecting/hoping that it will be better with more players and more things to consider when making moves.

Herbaceous is pretty fun with three, and it escalated pretty quickly to "well, I'd better pot these before he can do it" and "well, that's going in my garden even though I'm finished because she clearly wants it" and so on. I think it'll be going on the favorites shelf for a while.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

The_Doctor posted:

I have already:

- Love Letter
- Code Names
- Hanabi
- The Resistance
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- HMS Dolores
- Sushi Go/Party
How much table-space are we talking?

I think your suggestions are good and better, but if you like Pandemic, I'll throw out there Pandemic: The Cure. It's portable (the box is much bigger than it needs to be and basically all fits into a bag tho I guess the cards/plastic zones could get broken if they're chucked around), quick to setup and doesn't take up that much table space but does take up more than one may have. Also I guess you might lose dice

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
Even though I have no interest in Gloomhaven, I'd still prefer discussion of it stay itt.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Crackbone posted:

Just keep it in here, it'll be a nice change from the endless Feast for Odin posts.

What thread are you reading...?

And I haven't checked out the new solo challenge that the BGG guy did, but drat that was the one I'm thinking of doing, using the old Faroe Islands one! I'm not going to say I'm going to make the topic tonight cause I keep saying that then dropping the ball because I suck but I do think about it often. :blush:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The_Doctor posted:

I have already:

- Love Letter
- Code Names
- Hanabi
- The Resistance
- Welcome to the Dungeon
- HMS Dolores
- Sushi Go/Party
Timeline? It takes some table space with all the cards in a row, but should be fine if you have playing room for Codenames.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

angel opportunity posted:

Even though I have no interest in Gloomhaven, I'd still prefer discussion of it stay itt.

Out of curiosity, why?

EnjoiThePureTrip
Apr 16, 2011

Memnaelar posted:

Out of curiosity, why?

I don't know about angel, but I want it to stay because I'm not going to follow a new thread about it, but I'm interested in hearing about it in case I get the chance to pick it up in the future. AND it allows new people to ask about it in the thread without the need to tell them to go ask their questions in a somewhere else.

As people above me have said, I doubt there's enough people playing to sustain its own thread anyway.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I want discussion here so inevitably someone will post that it's available somewhere at 4 am and I manage to snag a copy, instead of having that potentially be posted in another thread.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
I don't care about the game, but I don't want a precedent of games that are popular suddenly having their own mostly dead threads. Even though I don't really care about the game, if I'm bored enough I'll sometimes skim posts about it just so I know more about it. It's likely I'll eventually get "forced" to play it sometime, and I generally enjoy games more if I know what they are about rather than playing them completely unaware.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Trad Games is building a wall and they're gonna make the boardgame thread pay for it with our titty miniature kickstarter money

burger time
Apr 17, 2005

Single Tight Female posted:

You might have finished this already but since nobody else weighed in:

We always play Colt Express with the expansion now. It ups the tactical decisions noticeably, gives you new round cards so the ride is less samey (base game could really have done with about twice as many cards) and adds a lot more player agency in the use of whiskey bottles. I'd say it's a no brainer.

I'd like to know if anyone's picked up the second expansion yet, and therefore how Colt Express works as a 1 v Many game (or whatever it plays like)

Ooo, now you got me interested. I like colt express but the lack of strategic options in the base game has turned me off to it a little. Maybe the expansion will get it to the table more.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

I'm also in favor of keeping "current popular game" discussion all together here, unless something goes super crazy. I don't follow other threads.

I mean, I don't read all the back and forth on games I don't have - but the bits and pieces I read give me useful information. Like, I know I'd be happy to try AFfO sometime but probably don't need to own it, and I know Inis probably wouldn't work for us (our group really hates politics unless it's really muted).

In other news, we just started a <b>Imperial Assault</b> campaign. We've got some quibbles, and it's very swingy combat with how the dice work, but overall we're pretty into it. I don't imagine we'll do a second campaign, though, so we might try to character swap midway through.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

At my PT clinic and one of the therapists is lamenting that none of his friends will learn the rules to the Game of Thrones board game.

I know, buddy. I know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

cenotaph posted:

At my PT clinic and one of the therapists is lamenting that none of his friends will learn the rules to the Game of Thrones board game.

I know, buddy. I know.

A buddy of mine is trying to organise a big game of Diplomacy since he despises GoT (because of the inability to muster if you're too low on the one track).