Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I hate this conversation so much. Korean coworkers use it as a justification for making you do things, to try and guilt you into it.

"Fleta, do you want to come in on three or four Saturdays and teach a special English class?"
No, thanks.
"But you make so much more money than any Korean teacher!" (note: Not true, when you factor in all the bonuses and paid vacation time the K-teachers get compared to the NET)

Haven't had it with a Chinese person yet, though. Thank god. So uncomfortable and awkward.

"Hey Sheep Goats we're having an assembly this Saturday and would like the foreign teachers to be there."

"When is it?"

"This Saturday!"

"I mean what time."

"8:00am to 6:00pm."

"I have other obligations on Saturday, so I'm sorry but I cannot go."

"All the teachers go."

"Will (head of department) be there?"

"No, she cannot go. But she is the head of the department. It is important the teachers go."

"Oh okay. I will try to go! Thanks for letting me know."

/sleeps in until noon, never hears about it again

/only the small, unpresentable alcoholic gnome looking white teacher went, out of the ten on staff

raton fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E_P
Feb 22, 2003

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I hate this conversation so much. Korean coworkers use it as a justification for making you do things, to try and guilt you into it.

"Fleta, do you want to come in on three or four Saturdays and teach a special English class?"
No, thanks.
"But you make so much more money than any Korean teacher!" (note: Not true, when you factor in all the bonuses and paid vacation time the K-teachers get compared to the NET)

Haven't had it with a Chinese person yet, though. Thank god. So uncomfortable and awkward.
I had that happen one time and I just told the girl she can eat her parents cooking on the weekend and see all her friends from school whenever she wants.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Since I have been here, I rarely (maybe not even once) have a dream where I am in China or based in China. I guess my brain doesn't care. Last night I did have one. I was here in Shenzhen and it was time for bed after some festival. I was living in a house and sharing a room with some girl I know. I as about to sleep when I heard my phone vibrate. I opened it and I had a text message that was as written:

"My name is *Chinese characters*, and I am detective with Shenzhen police.
I watch you online. You made a sma.l poo poo post about China.
I believe this."

I was like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." I don't know what I did or said, or that any of my posting was illegal (police can always find a way here), but I freaked out. I went to my computer and actually went to these forums and said I can't post anymore for safety reasons.

Then I woke up.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Haier posted:

Since I have been here, I rarely (maybe not even once) have a dream where I am in China or based in China. I guess my brain doesn't care. Last night I did have one. I was here in Shenzhen and it was time for bed after some festival. I was living in a house and sharing a room with some girl I know. I as about to sleep when I heard my phone vibrate. I opened it and I had a text message that was as written:

"My name is *Chinese characters*, and I am detective with Shenzhen police.
I watch you online. You made a sma.l poo poo post about China.
I believe this."

I was like "fuuuuuuuuuuuuuck." I don't know what I did or said, or that any of my posting was illegal (police can always find a way here), but I freaked out. I went to my computer and actually went to these forums and said I can't post anymore for safety reasons.

Then I woke up.

Ur still dreamin bitch, u gonna wake up again to a post just like this one

We have incepted you

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es
I always heard that you can't read in dreams

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

ladron posted:

You can recognize letters, words, or phrases, but reading as in "processing information from a set of written print" is pretty much unheard of.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
For me it's not that I can't read in dreams it's that every time I try to find the information I'm looking for the words and letters have all changed.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

quote:

Reality TV routinely diverged even further from reality when Donald Trump zestfully delivered his iconic line on The Apprentice.

“You’re fired!”

As he had demonstrated in the building of the iconic tower where The Apprentice was shot, Trump has tremendous difficulty firing people in real life, most particularly if he has personally hired them.

“It’s admitting he made a bad decision,” Barbara Res, who was the top construction engineer on Trump Tower, told The Daily Beast on Monday. “He always said he has the best people. He brags about that. Even when he doesn’t have the best people, he says he does. Everybody around him has to be the absolute best, because he’s the best. He’s better than the best.”

Trump is leading America into the Chinese century by embracing face culture.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I'm p sure I can read your mom, but I'unno if Braille counts.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Atlas Hugged posted:

For me it's not that I can't read in dreams it's that every time I try to find the information I'm looking for the words and letters have all changed.

this is a pretty apt metaphor for my life

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Day X7 Year 2XXX The face loss strikes back

Warning, incoming wall like terrain, PULL UP.

Sorry for not giving you guys a timely post yesterday. It was sort of a big day and all the walking finally took it's toll. Dog tired and the legs pretty much seized up by the end of the day. going to take it easy today and just do some sundries and go direct to one or two things before heading back home unless something else happens.

It is starting to warm now at 23 degrees and I can't wait to see if people are still wearing puffer vests.

The relative with the car is free tomorrow so I will be going on a grand Hong Kong tour in his car. Don't know where we are going, don't care. Should be fun.

Brought a bunch of Hong Kong Tourist T-shirts @ 5 for $100 NZD in Mong Kok which is steal in NZ and quite frankly bargaining on this would have been absurd. Would have brought another set had I had more people to give them to. Hmm, might get more anyway as they make great gifts.

I also got two pairs of shorts and this took a little bit more effort as the ones they had were pretty drat long(Wearing them would have ended up below knee unless a grandpa them) and just as I was going to give up and walk out they found a appropriately short one. Not sure if it was intentional or a miscommunication but the second pair was one of the long ones, so I immediately kicked up the correct amount of fuss. This was after I had bargained with them and paid so it wasn't a max HK pro move however they agreed to tailor it on the spot because I had shown good faith on the matter and had been consistant. There was probably a sweat shop near by where they cut and sewed the hem. 15 minutes later I had what I wanted, me happy and they doing more work than usual to make the sale, but a sale is a sale.

------

Now for the main event. My aunt called me about going to play badminton of which I was initially ecstatic about even though I didn't have any sports wear but I could buy what I needed at the markets. Being the diligent person I am I asked for more details. Even if I wasn't diligent you would ask for more details anyway as you couldn't go with the information holes she keeps leaving. I find out I will only be playing for 30 minutes which is just a waste of time and not worth the trouble.

Now, I knew what exactly what that that 30 minutes meant, she/they hosed up and the 30 minutes was there is save Face. I would have been just happy if they had just not told me about playing Badminton at all instead of offering the 30 minutes or inviting me to anything. I straight up told then no and demanded 2 hours which resulted in what I figured was a oh poo poo what?! moment on their end. I figured she would negotiate with me and her friends to something more reasonable like a hour of play time which I would have been happy with. But my Aunt is not very good at communicating/negotiating as you guys likely figured out by now and isn't as forward thinking as I am as I told her well in advance I would like to play Badminton during my stay here giving her plenty of time to sort something out.

But she doesn't budge sending emote-cons to try to get me to back down. This just pisses me off more and I decide to cause loss of Face by simply saying no, I am not going to turn up at all(There was a dinner after Badminton). She goes on about having friendships etc from playing that 30 minutes at which I again I reply it is a waste of time. I am not sure if she even asked the players or understood sports at all considering she doesn't play any. I stand my ground and say no, I lower the play time to 1.5 hours to give her a hint to get me more time. This is hours before they are set to start so it is not like they couldn't slot another person in had anyone had half a brain or the willingness to do so.

Now I know I am being an rear end in a top hat by this point and you would be right to call me that. But I really do like Badminton a lot, I am President of a club of 50+ members and not bad of a player. 30 minutes was a slap in the face. It gets worse when I finally get there having obviously not brought any of the gear to play where she again insist I play for 20 minutes or so that was remaining. Again for I say no and she goes into a spiel about how Hong Kongers are different and you don't understand. Having read this thread and the ones before it and I am livid, but I outlet it safely by raising my voice a little. I cause even more loss of Face by pointing out how inflexible, the lack of forward thing or any thinking at all, organization etc.

Backing her into a corner for a moment she kicks out one last excuse about how they have too many players already at 7. Writing that made my head hurt as Badminton is a 4 player game when playing doubles and 8 would have been a perfect one set on, one set off and if you are willing to sit out a game and be a little bit organized you can mix up the players and still get equal play time. I point out the absurdity of her logic and come just a little short of mocking her lack of sports. Then I hear that some people had left before the first hour was up which was another slap in the face.

Eventually the remaining 20 minutes of play time ends and the staff collapse the nets the moment the buzzer sounds. I know there was another group behind us ready to play basketball but you figure they would give a second or two of grace period to start leaving the court instead of doing it while the shuttle is in mid air. Anyway I tell her to be more organised next time and I let her have the last word when she says things are in the past now and look into the future.

She of course doesn't pick up on this (The lesson being be more organized) and pesters me about this and me not playing from friendship or some such rubbish until we get to the restaurant. We had dinner which was not half bad and we go to a dessert place where while I liked what was on offer, I just couldn't eat because I was full to the point of throwing up had I had much more. I take a couple of Face saving sips.

To continue the non-stop Face losing train when Heading to the MTR entrance she tries to plays smart by pointing out an MTR entrance after I already pointed out one that was closer. We go to the further one anyway and her husband who is a great guy in my surprise points out this fact.

Call me an rear end in a top hat, you have my permission.

------

On the 100% positive side of the day I met and awesome ex-pat who I had lunch with and he showed me around, telling me more about the history of Hong Kong in a mostly commercial perspective than anyone else I have talked with so far. We end the day at the arcades where out dollars get munched and we had a baller of a time. We exchange all sorts of useful information with each other.

Thanks again for helping to kick me into gear with your positivity and information, Hopefully it will work out as I had no plans to do this so I am in overdrive getting all the information which is on the other side of the world back to me in one form or another.

I hope you will have the free time to see me again before I leave because that was a great day.

A pro-tip for everyone. If you have special documents like passport, licenses etc save them to a secure cloud drive somewhere because you never know if you need the information on them even if you can't use them directly. Don' make the same mistake I have made and are trying to recover from so far.

Off I go for a short day as I slept more than expected even for a tiring day. More stories to come surely as the sun rises.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

oohhboy posted:

holy poo poo I have never seen someone get so huffy about badminton before. You must have been going nuts when the koreans and chinese were doing that non playing thing

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ladron posted:

holy poo poo I have never seen someone get so huffy about badminton before. You must have been going nuts when the koreans and chinese were doing that non playing thing

I just really, really didn't want to buy all that poo poo and gear up for 30 minutes. As for the non-play that was a disgrace and they got the poo poo they deserved.

The whole huff was caused by Face culture. It is weaker here but still something to take into account. Just about anywhere else I would have gotten the details up front and if I got offered the same deal I would have said no and that would have been the end of it. My aunt just. wouldn't. let. go. I pretty much tried every variation of no. You have to understand this started at 1240 and escalated from there till we got to the restaurant at ~2100.

Edit in retrospect I should have included some sort of time reference in the post.

Edit edit. I mentioned how it was a waste of time to another player who immediately understood why.

oohhboy fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Feb 17, 2017

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I'm having real trouble parsing what's happening there; did she have to rent a court or something, hence the time frames?

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel
We were always trying to find Chinese gals whose hobbies were not "badminton and maths" and guys who weren't obsessed with "basketballs" because they were always boring af

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Feb 17, 2017

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/gewqk/status/832040261639344128?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Serephina posted:

I'm having real trouble parsing what's happening there; did she have to rent a court or something, hence the time frames?

She has some friends who play badminton that she mentioned on the first day. They rented a court privately sort of(it was amid use sports centre) and it was theirs to do with as they wished so it wasn't like they couldn't do they about it. She just never picked up on that badminton was the primary goal not the dinner which was bonus points.

As I said in the edit actual sports playing people there understood instantly why I didn't play.

hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

He's even got Faye Wong playing, :five:

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

oohhboy posted:

She has some friends who play badminton that she mentioned on the first day. They rented a court privately sort of(it was amid use sports centre) and it was theirs to do with as they wished so it wasn't like they couldn't do they about it. She just never picked up on that badminton was the primary goal not the dinner which was bonus points.

As I said in the edit actual sports playing people there understood instantly why I didn't play.

Expecting Goons to play sports, lol.

I'm on your side anyway. You'd spend more time buying the equipmwnt than actually using it.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Eyes on Shenzhen:

I'm the guy driving the 10th car in the line of cars waiting for a giant truck to move out of the way. Despite being so far back I have decided to lay my face on my car horn and hooooooooooooooooooooonk as long as possible, because I truly believe that I am the first person to ever think of doing this, and that it will magically clear up all of the traffic ahead of me. I am a loving genius!

I am the stupid bitch in the shopping mall that was screaming at the foreigner to hold the elevator door open for her, which he did, and then complained how foreigners are so rude despite him doing what she wanted.

Baidu said it was 26C/78F today. It was very sunny, and a forums poster was sweating and tanning on his walk. I am all the people in long coats and thick jackets everywhere. I am especially the girl in the knee-length wool coat, beanie, face mask, and scarf. It was truly FREEZING outside, m8.

I am the lady in the stall at the electronics market that stands for 10+ hours per day. I could choose to wear a comfortable pair of running shoes or some vulcanized flats, but instead chose the 15cm wood heels because LOL who needs knees and hips later in life?

I am the guy on the train that sat directly across from the foreigner in the empty car, took my phone out, and started blatantly taking photos of the white guy. Then I started tapping my phone violently, laughed loudly, and left.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

oohhboy posted:

Brought a bunch of Hong Kong Tourist T-shirts @ 5 for $100 NZD in Mong Kok which is steal in NZ and quite frankly bargaining on this would have been absurd. Would have brought another set had I had more people to give them to. Hmm, might get more anyway as they make great gifts.

Isn't that absurdly expensive? NZD and USD aren't that far apart, and you can get souvenir t-shirts 3 for $10 in San Francisco.

I have recently fallen in love with Taiwanese Snow. Is it very common over there, or still kinds of a novelty?

Hawaiian Shave Ice is still the best Pacific Rim frozen dessert.:3:

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

ladron posted:

I, too, watched the Batman cartoon.

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That is cheap for New Zealand. You have to remember that the USA is a larger market more able to get better prices on imports etc, ie purchasing power.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Beachcomber posted:

Isn't that absurdly expensive? NZD and USD aren't that far apart, and you can get souvenir t-shirts 3 for $10 in San Francisco.

San Fran is very far away from New Zealand.

Everything is very far away from New Zealand.

This includes major shipping lanes. A good shirt can cost upwards of $35 NZD.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I suppose...

I've been through your airports and to the Cook Islands, but nothing there really seemed overpriced at the time, but you're the native, I'm not.:)

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Dzhay posted:

I, too, watched the Batman cartoon.

good guess, but kickassfacts.com

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
One of my friends went on vacation to Germany these days. What did she update photos on her album with? Her eating dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Germany.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Haier posted:

One of my friends went on vacation to Germany these days. What did she update photos on her album with? Her eating dinner at a Chinese restaurant in Germany.

:siren: PAGING CABERHAM :siren:

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

poo poo is crazy!

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

Jeoh posted:

:siren: PAGING CABERHAM :siren:

Was?

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Day AQI 119 $1000 Dollars of uselessness

The nose continues doing what it does. Acclimation as not happened yet and is unlikely to do so. Coughing a little bit more although that is mostly from getting a mouthful from traffic.

I sort of knew this ahead of time from my previous visits here as a kid that $1000 HKD notes are worthless outside of banks. No one takes them. The closet NZ equivalent is $100 note and people there fuss over having to make so much change than the fact it might be counterfeit. Trying to use these is like giving them a $243 note, not legal tender. I guess everyone here has been burned by this at one time or another not to take them.

I went back to the Golden Computer Arcade, by myself this time finally spotted the big ticket items I was looking for. Things like HDD, SSD, RAM, CPUs are initially hard to find as they display them in a far more efficient manner by printing out an A4 or if fancy multiple LCD screens which are naturally poorly used in the incorrect aspect ratios and are ugly as hell. This a massive space saving feature as CPUs, HDD, SSD being commodities that don't have visual or physical display value.

Graphic cards and mother boards get all the window time they want as they are the parts that you can show off when opening the case little different from their western counterparts.

CPU heat sink prices were amazing and definitely savings can be made here without hassles.

One last thing I was after was more of those awesome USB cables got on the second day. I am not sure what happened but I just couldn't find the place where I got them at. The shop was like one of those mythical disappearing places where you only get to enter once. Either that or it was in another building I forgot I entered.

Compared to NZ prices this non-special HK price is 25% less than a "On sale" price. You also have to factor in the minimum 5% discount if you haggle like I did with some BS stuff like some rubber air blowers and a screw driver set which got $5 knocked off $80. I didn't buy any of the big ticket items that day as my backpack was full and they wouldn't take my $1000 notes anyway.

I went to a Japanese place which served PORK CUTLET ONLY, PORK CUTLETTTTTT. They did serve some other things and you could get dishes that didn't have pork cutlet but 95%+ had pork cutlet. I ordered a triple meat rice bowl topped with egg where it had king prawns, a pork mince patty and a PORK CUTLET. The Prawns were nice, the mince pork was a bit gross and the PORK CUTLET was pretty alright.

I was not in anyway surprised by any of this as it's name was PORK CUTLET STORE in Japanese.

I maybe visit one of those My Hero places where they have a posters with Tony Stark, Morpheus Nick Fury and Captain America with a Wok. Of course these are knock-offs as on closer inspection Tony Stark and Captain America is Asian and Nick is a locally Famous black guy who speaks heavily accented Cantonese. It's actually called Tai Hing's and they mostly serve your traditional Hong Kong foods like BBQ X.

If you like have a look at a small bit of Tai Hing's MY HERO marketing materials here. http://www.marketing-interactive.com/tai-hing-taps-yth-creative-first-campaign-launch-yet-ready/

THE big chain here is Cafe-de-coral(Not a translation) which is a big chain of fast restaurants over multiple brands that serve food that isn't fast, but is served fast or made fast like sizzling multi-meat or sizzling stone pot filled with something. People like sizzling stuff as it is fancy like sticking Kale into everything makes it healthy or something. This is all offered very cheaply on par with the giants like McDonald. They manage this by industrialising what no one else would industrialise like cooking steaks in factories. I have to have a closer look but I don't think much if anything is cooked fresh on-site. Surprisingly enough at least from memory it tastes pretty ok. I imagine the dish washer is the hardest working person with arms capable of tearing a man's heart out of his chest in a single movement unless they send the dishes back to the factory to be washed.

Places like these are on the bottom of the list I will be eating at and you are never left without a choice of going somewhere else to eat another 10 meters away.

Here is Cafe-de-coral. http://www.cafedecoralfastfood.com/

Found some childhood favourites like Jack and Jill BBQ potato chips although I might have brought the wrong bag of orange potato chips as they don't quite match the flavour I have on file but they are ok.

Another throw back is White Rabbit candy. While I can get these in New Zealand, I couldn't help but get them as the ones I got are packaged in a giant White Rabbit wrapper.

A little bit more T-shirt talk. In NZ I know a guy who does this sort of thing. To get a printed T, his cost price to us at the Badminton club is ~12-15 Dollars NZ which is in two colour and even then it is bordering on what constitute clothing as they feel flimsier that the "I love Hong Kong" where it is multi-coloured with reflective materials, stitched patterns in a massive range of choices.

If you don't like "I love Hong Kong" There are Bruce Lee (No Jackie Chan as he has fallen out of favour a long time ago), maps, skylines or more joke type shirts. iPoop. A dog chasing a cat labelled "Fast Food". Colonel Sanders is the "Original Murderer". You get the idea.

Road trip tomorrow, until next time.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"

Beachcomber posted:

I suppose...

I've been through your airports and to the Cook Islands, but nothing there really seemed overpriced at the time, but you're the native, I'm not.:)

It's super expensive. I've bought video cards and then shipped them to a goon in NZ and even that was cheaper then him buying it lol

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
What is the deal with The Spaghetti House in Hong Kong? Seems like there's one every couple blocks. And they are surprisingly nice inside considering their bright neon signs and bubble letters.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

oohhboy posted:

THE big chain here is Cafe-de-coral(Not a translation) which is a big chain of fast restaurants over multiple brands that serve food that isn't fast, but is served fast or made fast like sizzling multi-meat or sizzling stone pot filled with something. People like sizzling stuff as it is fancy like sticking Kale into everything makes it healthy or something. This is all offered very cheaply on par with the giants like McDonald. They manage this by industrialising what no one else would industrialise like cooking steaks in factories. I have to have a closer look but I don't think much if anything is cooked fresh on-site. Surprisingly enough at least from memory it tastes pretty ok. I imagine the dish washer is the hardest working person with arms capable of tearing a man's heart out of his chest in a single movement unless they send the dishes back to the factory to be washed.

That's also my most common search on Pornhub.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

oohhboy posted:

Day AQI 119 $1000 Dollars of uselessness

Another throw back is White Rabbit candy. While I can get these in New Zealand, I couldn't help but get them as the ones I got are packaged in a giant White Rabbit wrapper.

gently caress YES this poo poo is so good. I have to stuff the bag in a tall, out-of-the-way cabinet lest I hork the whole thing in one go. That and those CNY candies in the shiny red and gold wrapping. And Haw flakes. And botan candy. I might have to go shopping now....

Anyways, thank you for these write ups. It's interesting to see life in another place.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
https://twitter.com/paleofuture/status/832602728975171584

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
levon planning his revenge on all the post 90 beauties who rejected him for not having an apartment

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
my new favorite levon wei response on the people's daily

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Lecher Levon Wei

• Locked thread