Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
The bugs tangent was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I can't tell if the bug thing was a bit or not. It seems insane to me, but it kind of fits with Sean's personality that he would have mounted bugs on display in his house.

I never would have pegged him as a former drug and alcohol abuser either.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Nothing sums up Doughboys better than the fact that the episode featuring a guest named Bug Mane featured significantly less discussion about bugs than this last one.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Buzz buzz.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
Sean being a bug enthusiast is now my favorite thing about him.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
I'm kind of interested in getting some framed bugs now.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

100% absolutely delightful. Sean saying "I don't drink" at every opportunity was perfect. Mitch never being quite sure when they were being sarcastic. Hayes's most effusive praise ever, "they know what to do to make the food taste good". Perfect ep.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
New episode out early.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Evan susser loves Steak 'n Shake and the image of him, wiger and Mitch ordering multiple pizzas from different chains all in one night and the delivery dudes seeing one another is still one of the funnier things on the show so , so far so good

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Idk if you guys have checked reviews for Fist Fight, but it is getting trashed. And I have never seen lovely writing and plot be called out so much in a comedy review. http://www.fresnobee.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article132725339.html

quote:

The difference is the writing for the movie and the unimaginative directing show no signs of intelligent life. In the case of “Fist Fight,” you could put one monkey in a room with a laptop, and the monkey would accidentally create a script with more smart laughs than created by Robichaux and Susser.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
drat they lost sonic too... idk man I guess this is what they deserve for the doughlympics though.

isnt that right
Dec 8, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Idk if you guys have checked reviews for Fist Fight, but it is getting trashed. And I have never seen lovely writing and plot be called out so much in a comedy review. http://www.fresnobee.com/entertainment/movies-news-reviews/article132725339.html

woof

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
Comedy reviews are so weird because like there will be one comedy a year critics will all agree to like and every single other comedy will be critics 37% fresh crowds 79%. And if you read the reviews they're always mad the comedy movie is making jokes.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

Work Friend Keven posted:

And if you read the reviews they're always mad the comedy movie is making jokes.
Lmao that is so true. It's always like beat-by-beat retelling of the movie, every so often saying "this was so stupid". So I guess it's always implicitly making GBS threads on the writers.

http://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainment/dont-subject-yourself-to-mean-humor-free-fist-fight/

Richard Roeper posted:

Zero stars

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Comedy reviews are so weird because like there will be one comedy a year critics will all agree to like and every single other comedy will be critics 37% fresh crowds 79%. And if you read the reviews they're always mad the comedy movie is making jokes.

Yea I'm not really gonna pretend Fist Fight is high on my to watch list because woof it looks like a 30 minute It's Always Sunny pitch stretched into a movie, but I can't disagree on this take. It kinda does feel like there's only allowed to be one or two 'good' comedy movies (shock, almost always involving the biggest a-list cast) and yea then the rest are kinda reduced to "AND THEY WERE MAKING JOKES? THIS IS JUST SO SILLY!!!!"

Again, not really sure if Fist Fight is gonna be the hill to die on for this but it is an annoying trend

WEH
Feb 22, 2009

I have no idea how it got greenlit because the premise doesn't even look good on paper, imo. Susser deserves it for being a poo poo commish and got paid either way so I hope Mitch gets a couple of digs in whenever he shows up next month.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
every comedy that's not a Will Ferrell or Judd Apatow thing gets awful reviews no matter what so I wouldn't look to much into it. Wet Hot American Summer and Super Troopers got awful reviews as well. The only way to tell if a comedy is actually good enough is to wait a few years

a cat youtube posted:

Evan susser loves Steak 'n Shake and the image of him, wiger and Mitch ordering multiple pizzas from different chains all in one night and the delivery dudes seeing one another is still one of the funnier things on the show so , so far so good

my favorite part of the doughlympics was when Susser forgot to heat up a bunch of frozen convenience store food for his segment, so the hosts had to stall for five minutes while he microwaved them, then he came back but everything was still cold

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

little munchkin posted:

my favorite part of the doughlympics was when Susser forgot to heat up a bunch of frozen convenience store food for his segment, so the hosts had to stall for five minutes while he microwaved them, then he came back but everything was still cold

My favorite was Susser thinking "three men counting the number of fries in a bag out loud, simultaneously, would make for great podcast listening."

I mean, it turned out it was, but only because Mitch started shouting "ONE! TWO!" while Wiger laughed for like 20 seconds solid.

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

little munchkin posted:

every comedy that's not a Will Ferrell or Judd Apatow thing gets awful reviews no matter what so I wouldn't look to much into it. Wet Hot American Summer and Super Troopers got awful reviews as well.
Idk my dude. On one hand I totally feel you, but for some reason I don't think Fist Fight is gonna have the quirky weirdness of a WHA, not certain this one is for the comedy nerdy. Unless I hear good things from Work Friend Kevin, I'll catch when it hits cable.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'm not going to see it and it's obviously not good. But like office Christmas party I thought was a pretty funny movie with some 3rd act problems but overall funny, lot of laughs, TJs good etc. too many music video montage scenes but good luck finding a comedy that isn't true of at this point in time. I'd give it a B-. But go read a review of it sometime.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Lol true. I didnt know they wrote Fist Fight though i saw a trailer for it and thought it looked lovely. But you cant really read reviews for comedies

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

I'm sure Fist Fight isn't a masterpiece, but using Rotten Tomatoes isn't the best decider to see a comedy. Step Brothers - 55%. Anchorman - 66%.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

ManoliIsFat posted:

Idk my dude. On one hand I totally feel you, but for some reason I don't think Fist Fight is gonna have the quirky weirdness of a WHA, not certain this one is for the comedy nerdy. Unless I hear good things from Work Friend Kevin, I'll catch when it hits cable.

oh yea i do think the trailer looks bad and I have no intention of watching it, just saying most comedies have lovely reviews and trailers regardless of how good the movie actually is

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
Oh Mitch.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
There's no way they aren't going to have a bunch of equipment problems recording at Mitch's house.

a cat youtube
Jun 25, 2013
That and there's no way Mitch isn't going to be even more ready to quit with twice the work, and having people recording at his house

HolePisser1982
Nov 3, 2002
Mitch's "regional" pronunciation of spigot is so funny to me

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
Great guest.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

When they had John 3:16 in the intro I briefly thought Mitch had got Stone Cold as the guest

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i would not have the patience or compassion to work with mike mitchell.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Talking about quitting the podcast, hating how much they are doing it, then announcing patreon with extra episodes.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

cams posted:

i would not have the patience or compassion to work with mike mitchell.

See I feel like I would have zero patience working with Wiger.

Dylan McKay
Oct 20, 2011

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation. I refuse to see Black Panther because they didn't ask the Black Ranger to be in it.
I think Nick and Mitch should break up.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
I think Nick and Mitch should just gently caress already.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

How likely is it that the $1,450 they currently have on patreon is more money than they've made from the podcast since it started

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

n8r posted:

Talking about quitting the podcast, hating how much they are doing it, then announcing patreon with extra episodes.

Ya, and they're so sullen and depressed this episode, it really wasn't a great advertisement for their patreon.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Help Im Alive posted:

How likely is it that the $1,450 they currently have on patreon is more money than they've made from the podcast since it started

I dunno, they did sell a lot of shirts.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
When Wiger gets confused because Mike mixed marvel and DC is when I realized I would get tired of hanging with Wiger very quickly.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

ManoliIsFat posted:

Ya, and they're so sullen and depressed this episode, it really wasn't a great advertisement for their patreon.

Most accurate advertisement thoguh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManoliIsFat
Oct 4, 2002

dangerdoom volvo posted:

Most accurate advertisement thoguh
Hahah, very true. I feel like they had some heavy conversation right before recording, because the first half is so drab. They're not insulting eachother at all, agreeing with eachother's premises, it's very strange.