Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I didn't realize there was a quick turn button in RE7 until I watched some let's play after I beat it.

I wish your character had more verbs in general. Being able to lean around corners, dodge, or do literally anything other than crouch in the stealth sections would have been nice.

I didn't need leaning as much as I thought I would because Jack's footsteps are so heavy that you can hear him coming. It really is a game that needs to be played with headphones and/or high sound volume to get all the detail in the audio.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I knew about quick turn but didn't use it once

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

al-azad posted:

On normal it's like 4-5 shots to take out their legs at which point they'll do leaping attacks and even if you block they're still chipping away at your finite resources. I find it harder to hit their head on the ground even with the knife.

I find the easiest way to take out a lone molded is to blow away their arm. There's usually enough room to circle strafe on their amputated side and they'll miss every time. It certainly breaks down when there's more than one e.g. the boiler room where three spawn at once and unless you have 2 magazines you're not getting past them. The game basically encourages you to shut the door, wait for them to despawn, then mad dash to the end. I'm sure things will get easier once I get the upgraded pistol and I just got the shotgun but who knows what they'll throw at me.

I'm kind of wavering on the game. They nail the atmosphere and it certainly is a return to survival horror. But the encounter design reminds me of Call of Cthulhu where you're basically designed to fail until you see the trick and can blow through them. And the game sucks at teaching you how to play it. There's no controls list so I didn't know you could quick turn until reading it online (and then the tool tips let me know 3 hours in). And I think you can riposte if you time your blocks, again a tool tip that pops up randomly.

I'm terrible at the game as well, but I found that all scenarios with multiple molded your best bet was to continue backing up, then turn and head for a door if you got overwhelmed. In the room before the boiler, I backed into the hallway, then the boiler I backed into the prior room (and hallway if needed). It's almost always an option, and I found that standing and firing was a habit I had to break.

Or just use a shotgun/enhanced ammo and go wild :)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

clockworx posted:

I'm terrible at the game as well, but I found that all scenarios with multiple molded your best bet was to continue backing up, then turn and head for a door if you got overwhelmed. In the room before the boiler, I backed into the hallway, then the boiler I backed into the prior room (and hallway if needed). It's almost always an option, and I found that standing and firing was a habit I had to break.

Or just use a shotgun/enhanced ammo and go wild :)

My big problem is when you have to go get the key from the deputy's corpse for Lucas. I ran out of ammo for everything but the flamer, and now there's the fast Molded that take most of a fuel tank to kill and nowhere to really dodge them due to the narrow hallways. It feels like the game has ended up totally unwinnable.

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

chitoryu12 posted:

My big problem is when you have to go get the key from the deputy's corpse for Lucas. I ran out of ammo for everything but the flamer, and now there's the fast Molded that take most of a fuel tank to kill and nowhere to really dodge them due to the narrow hallways. It feels like the game has ended up totally unwinnable.

Yeah, I think on one playthrough I had tons of Burner fuel left and figured I'd use it on the molded to save some of my other ammo.

Suffice to say it is loving terrible against them.

Edit: Actually in that scenario, your best tactic is to make a run for the snake door that's down the nearby stairs, which gets you most of the way out of the basement, rather than backtracking. I had no ammo at that point and just managed to run by them, open the snake door, and slam it shut before they caught up.

clockworx fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Feb 17, 2017

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Flamethrowers are always the worst weapon in any game and I don't understand why.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

Yodzilla posted:

Flamethrowers are always the worst weapon in any game and I don't understand why.

Because their realistic drawbacks are not ones that game designers want to model accurately, and so they balance them by making them crappy instead.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Skyscraper posted:

Because their realistic drawbacks are not ones that game designers want to model accurately, and so they balance them by making them crappy instead.

In Cataclysm is that flamethrowers and fire weapons are incredibly good and using them just makes so much sense, or so you think until you realize the entire hospital is on fire and the hallways you need to go through to escape are collapsing around you and you have to jump out a window into a horde of zombies that have been drawn in by the light and noise, and you're probably at a disadvantage because you're suffering from heat damage and smoke inhalation.

I don't know if that's actually the "realistic drawbacks" you're talking about but imo it's way more fun than flamethrowers being crappy. I don't understand why a game would give you a flamethrower at all if they're gonna take away all the fun of playing with fire.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

GlyphGryph posted:

In Cataclysm is that flamethrowers and fire weapons are incredibly good and using them just makes so much sense, or so you think until you realize the entire hospital is on fire and the hallways you need to go through to escape are collapsing around you and you have to jump out a window into a horde of zombies that have been drawn in by the light and noise, and you're probably at a disadvantage because you're suffering from heat damage and smoke inhalation.

I don't know if that's actually the "realistic drawbacks" you're talking about but imo it's way more fun than flamethrowers being crappy. I don't understand why a game would give you a flamethrower at all if they're gonna take away all the fun of playing with fire.

Oh that isn't what I meant but that's pretty cool also, that flamethrowers start fires that you'll later want put out. I more meant that flamethrower back tanks are way heavy and explode when you shoot them. Also photos of people getting set on fire tend to be bad publicity.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Skyscraper posted:

Oh that isn't what I meant but that's pretty cool also, that flamethrowers start fires that you'll later want put out. I more meant that flamethrower back tanks are way heavy and explode when you shoot them. Also photos of people getting set on fire tend to be bad publicity.

Flamethrower tanks exploding when shot is a Hollywood myth. The fuel requires heat to ignite, so shooting the tank with anything other than incendiary ammo or explosives will just cause pressurized fuel to spray out. Which itself can be bad, but it's not like in video games where you beat flamethrower enemies by shooting their fuel tanks until they explode and kill the whole squad.

Skyscraper
Oct 1, 2004

Hurry Up, We're Dreaming

chitoryu12 posted:

Flamethrower tanks exploding when shot is a Hollywood myth. The fuel requires heat to ignite, so shooting the tank with anything other than incendiary ammo or explosives will just cause pressurized fuel to spray out. Which itself can be bad, but it's not like in video games where you beat flamethrower enemies by shooting their fuel tanks until they explode and kill the whole squad.

You're right! They are not immediately explosive, but that's not at all a thing I'd want to count on after already setting fires in an area.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

yeah I mean they might not immediately explode but I imagine things would become incredibly unpleasant for the person wearing/carrying the thing

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Yodzilla posted:

Yeah I didn't realize there was a quick turn button in RE7 until I watched some let's play after I beat it.

I wish your character had more verbs in general. Being able to lean around corners, dodge, or do literally anything other than crouch in the stealth sections would have been nice.

You can do them in VR, so maybe they couldn't be bothered to find a way to implement them for the normal version.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
This is the only flame tank I need in my life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnEpRiEteBQ

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I clicked a clickbait link for the top ten lovecraftian horrors in videogames and Eternal Darkness didn't make the cut.

The entire town of Silent Hill however did.

This seemed like the best place to grumble about bad clickbait lists.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Len posted:

I clicked a clickbait link for the top ten lovecraftian horrors in videogames and Eternal Darkness didn't make the cut.

That certainly is bad clickbait. Eternal Darkness is Lovecraft with his name crossed out in dry erase.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Almost every single enemy in RE7 can be run past. The world record speed runs are about 90 minutes long and only have ~5 or so kills, other than bosses.

Does the game ever give you Pity Ammo? Like if I fired off every single bullet and then challenged a boss, would he chuck pistol ammo boxes at me?

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Not so much 'pity ammo', but there's often weapons available in the boss arenas that are meant to be used in that fight. There's usually some supplies in the area anyway, you'll only find yourself low on ammo and the like between boss encounters.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
The best way to play RE7 is:

1. Normal mode, blind. Probably grab a guide for all the files (since they add a lot to the game), and the coins and the bobbleheads since they give you New Game+ unlockables.
2. Easy mode, sub-4 hour speed run.
3. Madhouse with all the crazy poo poo you unlocked
4. Do the 3-box, 3-heal run if you want now. It's just an achievement with no unlocks so it doesn't matter. You'll have unlimited ammo now too, so you never need to pick up ammo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Not so much 'pity ammo', but there's often weapons available in the boss arenas that are meant to be used in that fight. There's usually some supplies in the area anyway, you'll only find yourself low on ammo and the like between boss encounters.

The Marguerite Baker boss fight is really good about supplies, in particular. She's tough enough that you'll probably go through all of them, but if you prepared beforehand you're unlikely to end up in an unwinnable fight unless your aim is awful.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Everybody knows it's Headshots or Bust, right? ~3 headshots to kill a molded compared to ~12 body shots?

I'm not saying that's easy, though. Molded have spaghetti noodles for necks.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Everybody knows it's Headshots or Bust, right? ~3 headshots to kill a molded compared to ~12 body shots?

I'm not saying that's easy, though. Molded have spaghetti noodles for necks.

Headshots make it significantly easier if you can accomplish them. Molded unfortunately move around a ton so it's really easy to hit just a little too far to the side or down for it to count. You can always go for the knees, but that's still ammo not going toward the head. And the flamer doesn't distinguish between body parts so you just have to hold down the trigger and waste fuel until they pop, all while they keep pouncing and striking through the flames.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

If RE7 is anything like past RE games more ammo will spawn when you're low on it.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

Improbable Lobster posted:

If RE7 is anything like past RE games more ammo will spawn when you're low on it.

I was actually wondering if they were still doing this sort of thing. I swear molded popped up more when I was loaded with ammo vs not.

That being said yeah the molded are boring as hell. I hope they don't bring them back for future games now that they got the whole it was connected to Umbrella all along out of the way.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

What ammo you get is semi-random but I believe the actual ammo pick ups are all fixed, since enemies don't drop any, so technically it's possible to run out, though you'd have to be so amazingly bad at the game for that to happen. On normal anyway.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

This reminded me that during the garage fight with Jack he has a line about Ethan running out of ammo when that happens and it was funny as hell to hear.

What's the general consensus on the DLC stuff so far? Isn't some of it supposed to be a few years prior to the game?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Yodzilla posted:

I was actually wondering if they were still doing this sort of thing. I swear molded popped up more when I was loaded with ammo vs not.

That being said yeah the molded are boring as hell. I hope they don't bring them back for future games now that they got the whole it was connected to Umbrella all along out of the way.

To my knowledge, all enemy spawns in general are fixed. A section with 4 Molded in a row will always have those 4 Molded starting in the exact same spots assuming the same difficulty.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

al-azad posted:

That certainly is bad clickbait. Eternal Darkness is Lovecraft with his name crossed out in dry erase.

Seriously. Eternal Darkness was my first experience with Lovecraftian horror I didn't even know who or what Lovecraftian meant before I played that game.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

Len posted:

Silent Hill is like the opposite of Lovecraftian horror. It's a series all about human nature.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

In case anyone cares enough to read the bad clickbait http://whatculture.com/gaming/10-best-lovecraftian-enemies-in-video-games

quote:

While this entry may be steadily controversial to a lot of people – thus its place so high up on the list – Silent Hill bears Lovecraftian influences. And while it’s true that a lot of the horror in the game is built upon the characters' personal conflicts and struggles, the town itself is quite inspired.

It may not be traditional Lovecraft, but it’s the kind of story that fits within the parameters of his works. A town that is home to alternate realities full of monsters, a power beyond anyone’s understanding lurking within the town, a certain supernatural element that borders cosmic, the town has the Lovecraftian vibes. There is an unnatural, unsettling incomprehensible aspect regarding the town that is inherently Lovecraftian.

It might not be cookie-cutter and the games certainly don’t play to the traditional sense, but when looking at the town as whole, it is Lovecraftian. While characters like Pyramid Head fit that personal conflict behind the characters, the town itself and the influencing force behind the games and their narratives has those Lovecraftian aspects. And it does it well.

But if you think that I’m wrong and that Lovecraft had as much to do with the inspiration behind Silent Hill as the Sound of Music did, feel free to call me your preferred combination of profanity. That’s what the comment section is there for.

Although, if you pertain to the truest of Silent Hill endings and agree that the dog is behind it all, then Lovecraftian inspiration becomes a faint memory. All we need is for the dog to be Cthulhu in disguise and we have ourselves a sequel!

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
Seems kinda like he defines Lovecraftian as "Spooky"

Like when people say "Kafkaesque" because there's literally a bug involved

al-azad
May 28, 2009

From what I can tell, item pickups are fixed but locked drawers are random. One time I got some chemicals, died, then got a box of ammo on the second run.

One thing I meant to look into but forgot is if enemies despawning healed them. If you move away from a molded's spawn point, lets say a room or two, they'll eventually sink back into the ground and return where they came from. They return in a fresh state from what I can tell so really there's no point wasting time with molded unless you intend to kill one.

It's also possible to defeat Jack the second time you meet him upstairs. Again, there's no point because he doesn't drop anything but the game seems balanced around giving you just enough to kill enemies in tight dead end spaces while avoiding the ones in larger areas.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Seems kinda like he defines Lovecraftian as "Spooky"

Like when people say "Kafkaesque" because there's literally a bug involved

That is so kafkaesque

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

That is so kafkaesque

Please, no meat touching ma'am.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I think one could reasonably call Silent Hill Lovecraftian, but in a Nyarlathotep sense, where there is this incredibly powerful cosmic entity that is, for some reason one cannot possibly begin to fathom, fascinated by these humans. That said of course, it's about the human story with that in the backdrop, so I wouldn't really put it on there anyway.

And besides, a good list had better have Eternal Darkness, come on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

catlord posted:

I think one could reasonably call Silent Hill Lovecraftian, but in a Nyarlathotep sense, where there is this incredibly powerful cosmic entity that is, for some reason one cannot possibly begin to fathom, fascinated by these humans. That said of course, it's about the human story with that in the backdrop, so I wouldn't really put it on there anyway.

SH doesn't really have any similarities to Lovecraft except in the broadest sense.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Skyscraper posted:

Do you remember what happened in the short? People in this thread might have seen it.

Also, how do people here feel about this thing?

I hope the game gets made because it's nice seeing projects with heart come to fruition, but jesus it's like they tried plagiarizing Resident Evil as much as they could without just remaking Resident Evil 1-4. What a shame.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

catlord posted:

Then you defeat the cosmic entity by splashing it with water and shooting it enough times with a shotgun.

And man I just learned there's a true ending to Eternal Darkness. I really want to dust that game off now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah but you have to play through the game three times to get it and it's only a single extra scene iirc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Yeah but you have to play through the game three times to get it and it's only a single extra scene iirc

Yeah, I'm not going to play it three times but my favorite video game trope is meta-plot multiple plays = different timeline stuff. I ate that poo poo up in Undertale and goddammit I want another Chrono Trigger game aaagh!