Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I have some pops unhappy about purges. Thing is, I'm not purging anyone as far as I know. Is there a way to zoom on a purge or something? It's not even allowed in my empire so I have no idea what the deal is.

I am playing the Star Trek mod so it may just be a bug.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

Baronjutter posted:

I hope we can make hybrids and for the graphics they just take the two portraits and put on a bad 90's morph effect.

An entire galaxy just chock-full of beings who look like the mid-point of an Animorphs cover.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/StellarisGame/status/832541703051571200

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

canepazzo posted:

Stream started https://www.twitch.tv/paradoxinteractive

Some new tidbits:

- Core systems have been lowered to 3 at the start, increases with tech.
- Sector view has a tooltip showing what they are working on (buildings, spaceport development, ships)

E: I meant core systems, not sectors!

Ouch. That's painful. 3? Hopefully the research price on adding core systems is cheaper, and pops up more often in response. Not a huge fan of the change though. 5 felt just fine.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 12:08 on Feb 17, 2017

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Nelson Mandingo posted:

Ouch. That's painful. 3? Hopefully the research price on adding core systems is cheaper, and pops up more often in response. Not a huge fan of the change though. 5 felt just fine.
They made it seem like you'd be getting back up there with tech in a reasonable timeframe, they just wanted to push you to make your first sector sooner at the very start of the game.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

Eiba posted:

They made it seem like you'd be getting back up there with tech in a reasonable timeframe, they just wanted to push you to make your first sector sooner at the very start of the game.

That's fair, and maybe with the new content it'll feel better to start a sector earlier.

But still- comes across as a bad change on it's surface. By the time you colonize 5 systems you'll be getting out of the early game at that point, which is when sectors (or more efficiently just one massive sector) comes into play. Which feels exactly like the appropriate time for them to be a thing. It came across as a natural segue to me in all my games. Feels bad, man.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

quote:

Q: battle7895 : The "amount" of planets needed to build a ringword, would you need like a system with 5+ planets fixed or does it calcuate the seizes aswell?Does the ringworlds once you make them habitatable also get some sort of resource like energy cred tiles or are they tottaly blank?

A: Wizzington : 5+ planets, needs to be proper planets though, not moons and such and yes they get resources unlike habitats.

This kinda bugs me.

Also I wonder if the resources ringworlds get will be based on the resources on worlds consumed to build them.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Nelson Mandingo posted:

That's fair, and maybe with the new content it'll feel better to start a sector earlier.

But still- comes across as a bad change on it's surface. By the time you colonize 5 systems you'll be getting out of the early game at that point, which is when sectors (or more efficiently just one massive sector) comes into play. Which feels exactly like the appropriate time for them to be a thing. It came across as a natural segue to me in all my games. Feels bad, man.

TBH the main issue I have with the transition to using sectors is normally you want to hand them a developed planet to start them off, rather have to go back to them constantly to top them up with minerals and energy. This means you can't have a 'Frontier' sector for less developed planets without accepting it'll take forever to grow. Reducing the number of initial worlds to 3 means you're going to spend more time babysitting colonies that will end up in sectors, which rather reduces their role in lowering micromanagement. It would be handy to have an option for automatic subsidies to sectors until they get to a certain number of pops/mineral output.

Descar
Apr 19, 2010
Why aren't your Core Worlds in a Sector also, like a Core Sector

that way i would only need one governor for my Core Planets..

You could even balance rebellion/faction/political stuff on that, ex. as your other sectors has to be smaller then your Core,
otherwise they would hold more production power, so you couldn't just have one sector to rule the rest of your space empire.

I hate beating down on weak One planet rebellions, what are they suppose to accomplish? It's just annoying.

I dunno, just hate that i don't have enough leader slots and you need one governor for every drat Core planet ...

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
I think your core system limit should be the limit of systems allowed per sector. As it is right now I only use 2 sectors, a normal one focused on energy and the shitlorde sector. The shitlorde sector has all the pops that are causing me problems so I can funnel it all into one faction to suppress.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Also I haven't played in ages and since the topic is up, are sectors still completely incapable of wiping their own rear end or do they build stuff now?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
they build stuff and are generally tolerable, but tolerable doesn't mean good or problem free

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Bloodly posted:

Pops, huh? Will they build things on their world?

...There's an AI setting in the files for Stellaris that keeps primitives from doing stuff by basically turning their AI off. I should turn their AI on and see what happens.

They had a bug that did that in the first session with Banks - that's why cKnoor has so many primitives to eat. Primitives with growth really favors invaders I think.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Coolguye posted:

they build stuff and are generally tolerable, but tolerable doesn't mean good or problem free

Last I played they were entirely useless so I'll take tolerable for now. :v:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Grand Fromage posted:

Last I played they were entirely useless so I'll take tolerable for now. :v:

slightly more useful answer: they're good enough that i've broken the back of a medium sized, hard difficulty, high aggressiveness AI run where i'm going for Suffer Not the Alien. i own over 50% of the habitable planets in the galaxy now and humanity outnumbers all other races in the galaxy combined. i've had a couple of heartstopping problems where the sector AI let my empire run deeply in the red for a while when i did a new expansion wave, because people would migrate from power plants to the new planets and the sector AI would not reassign pops to produce maximum energy like i'd asked them to. the problem ended up resolving itself when new pops grew on the worlds that had seen migration. but beyond that they've given me no problems that i've deeply noticed.

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

The number 1 request finally makes it in:

https://twitter.com/martin_anward/status/832597715557179392

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Oh god that's a trait that makes them better food I love this game

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

all hail this glorious dumb video game

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
I cannot stand the fact that uplifting presentients requires colonizing the planet they are on. Why can't it just be an Observation Station mission? Is there a mad that fixes this?

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

GunnerJ posted:

I cannot stand the fact that uplifting presentients requires colonizing the planet they are on. Why can't it just be an Observation Station mission? Is there a mad that fixes this?

Yeah, it's super weird. I feel like, if anything, uplift should work like this:

To uplift a unit, your observation post "captures" a pops worth of dudes from that planet, and after research is complete you get the option of generating a colony ship or planting a baby/growing pop on a planet you already own (but without the needing another member of their species to grow requirement).

That feels like it would be a lot cooler - and then you can send those new sentient pops to subjugate their presentient brethren - after all, these "humans" will be perfectly fine clearing out those worthless monkeys and building proper cities.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

I suppose the non-cute species now have a trait which redeem them as livestock instead of outright purging.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
I know I wasn't the first to request this, but I was the first to request it in this thread and that's something.

Not something good, but definitely something.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Heartcatch posted:

I suppose the non-cute species now have a trait which redeem them as livestock instead of outright purging.

never

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Splicer posted:

I know I wasn't the first to request this, but I was the first to request it in this thread and that's something.

Not something good, but definitely something.

It's definitely good.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Nuclearmonkee posted:

It's definitely good.
Oh the thing is good, it's my interest in genetically engineered sapient foodstuffs I'm worried about.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Can you process your own species? Can I make delicious cannibals?

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry

god bless

Talkie Toaster
Jan 23, 2006
May contain carcinogens
That's neat. Presumably genetically-engineering Delicious in is the equivalent of teching-up your Hydroponics farms. Plus I wonder if they still give 5 food when they're just regular livestock, not being purged... even at 4, non-delicious species aren't actually going to be much use as livestock which I guess makes sense.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
I don't know why a delicious species would provide more food. Sure, they taste nice, but they should still have the same calories as less tasty species?

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Nelson Mandingo posted:

I've skipped more core systems tech twice since I don't feel like really need it right now. It has allowed me to focus more on other things and worry less about tile management which is nice.

Torrannor posted:

I don't know why a delicious species would provide more food. Sure, they taste nice, but they should still have the same calories as less tasty species?

Easy, you make sure to process more of the meaty substance of the bodies. Since it's tasty and all.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Torrannor posted:

They are both delicious and nutritious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Torrannor posted:

But people obviously wouldn't eat as much of the bland, non-tasty food. So a lot of that will go to waste.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Does repugnant also give a tastiness penalty or is it not related?

It kinda owns that Stellaris lets you write questions like that.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Actually having a delicious trait that influences food value is absolutely ridiculous and stupid but I can't be upset at it.
Wonder how much it costs and if it's a penalty or bonus. Imagine gene-modding a conquered species to be delicious.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

The tastier the alien, they less room you have to devote to growing silly things like spices, leading to a greater number of tasty aliens per square foot in the farming districts.

It's all very logical and backed by science.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Baronjutter posted:

Imagine gene-modding a conquered species to be delicious.
This was exactly my initial request.

Wiz
May 16, 2004

Nap Ghost

Baronjutter posted:

Actually having a delicious trait that influences food value is absolutely ridiculous and stupid but I can't be upset at it.
Wonder how much it costs and if it's a penalty or bonus. Imagine gene-modding a conquered species to be delicious.

The fluff text explains they're also very nutritious, and yes it's used in genemodding. If you've gone down the biological ascension path you can genemod a species to be delicious and nerve staple them so they're not sad about being eaten.

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

OctaMurk posted:

Can you process your own species? Can I make delicious cannibals?

Livestock will also be a slavery type, so I guess that if your own species used Caste System you could use the enslaved members of your own species as food instead of laborers. That might be an easier way to do it?

(not sure what the rework of Collectivism will do to the ability to enslave your own species, mind you)

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Reddit AMA posted:

Q: ElNab : Will there be an option to tell people to stop forward settling my stuff?

A: Wizzington : Not in Utopia. Its sort of a tricky thing in the sense of, would you actually be willing to reciprocate? Or does it just end up being something the player lords over the AI. But at least in the case where you're friends with someone it would be good to be able to agree to stay away from each other's borders.

So looking at your response, Wiz, I think that the best way to do this when you're not allies would be: You can request the empire not settle near you. If they, don't great. If they do, you get a war goal to take that nearby settlement at a discounted rate relative to its normal cost. It would make it easier for everyone to penalize those who settle near them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilravock
Jan 27, 2006

We are the hollow men

Wiz posted:

The fluff text explains they're also very nutritious, and yes it's used in genemodding. If you've gone down the biological ascension path you can genemod a species to be delicious and nerve staple them so they're not sad about being eaten.

This is some dark dystopian stuff here. Makes A Brave New World look like pleasant vacation and crosses over to the Time Machine.

• Locked thread