Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Thoguh posted:

There's stairs to, you don't have to take the elevator. You can also access it from the stairs across from French Meadow on the other side of the mall. Though if you come from that side you feel kind of weird walking by a bunch of TSA offices.

I'm a big fan of that area, I've never seen more than 3 people there at once and most of the time I've gone up I've had it totally to myself. Though one time it was me and a mouse.

Back a few years when I frequented it, I always had a roller bag so I took the elevator rather than lug it up the stairs. I'm not saying the area is swanky, the furniture was rather torn up back then and I suspect it hasn't changed, but the average person doesn't know its up there. Nice place to kill an hour if you can't get into a lounge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

FunOne posted:

Back a few years when I frequented it, I always had a roller bag so I took the elevator rather than lug it up the stairs. I'm not saying the area is swanky, the furniture was rather torn up back then and I suspect it hasn't changed, but the average person doesn't know its up there. Nice place to kill an hour if you can't get into a lounge.

I actually slept up there one time when I got snowed into the airport, felt like a loving God.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
The bonus on the SPG AmEx just went up to 35k. Best every day spending card imo, since Starpoints are transferable to every airline and you even get a 25% bonus when doing it in 20k blocks. The underlying hotel program is pretty good too, hope Marriott doesn't gently caress it up.

psydude posted:

Does American allow you to credit tickets purchased for family members on the same flight to your AAdvantage account?

No airline on earth does this

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

I STOLE A PIE FROM ESTELLE GETTY

Pryor on Fire posted:

LaGuardia is like a third world country, I love the dozens of buckets out to catch water every time it rains. Just like China.

China's airports are actually all new, they demolished everything old and went on an infrastructure spending spree. LGA is pretty bad, yeah, but it's very close to Manhattan and even has a Centurion Lounge!

Mandalay posted:

No airline on earth does this

Some airlines allow you to pool between family accounts, but every flyer needs their own account.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Yeah my asian travel knowledge is about 10-20 years out of date, I hear it's much nicer now. Which is to say much nicer than the airport servicing the wealthiest city on earth.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Mandalay posted:

The underlying hotel program is pretty good too, hope Marriott doesn't gently caress it up.

Nothing ever improves for the customer.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Condolences to whichever one of you got caught

https://twitter.com/DCist/status/832316322910498817

Uncle Jam
Aug 20, 2005

Perfect
It's not 50 short tons of instant noodles so all good in the hood.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

LGA is the worst Delta hub BY FAR.

See, I exclude NYC airports from the competition for worst because they have an excuse.

Minneapolis has no excuse for its layout.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

Uncle Jam posted:

It's not 50 short tons of instant noodles so all good in the hood.

Which are OK if as long as the soup packets do not contain meat products.**

Beef Of Ages
Jan 11, 2003

Your dumb is leaking.

Midjack posted:

Nothing ever improves for the customer.

Ever. People hoping for the best out of Marriott are going to be very disappointed. No merger is ever good for the customer.

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

HEY Delta brought back coach meals on select transcontinental flights so things are looking up! :unsmith:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
The only thing that would actually make flying better is seats that fit more than the tiniest 10% of adults.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Residency Evil posted:

Minneapolis has no excuse for its layout.

Yeah this. Totally flat. All the space in the world. And they make that??

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

i fly airplanes posted:

China's airports are actually all new, they demolished everything old and went on an infrastructure spending spree. LGA is pretty bad, yeah, but it's very close to Manhattan and even has a Centurion Lounge!

I landed in Shanghai on a flight from the US and we had to roll up stairs to the jet and take a shuttle into the airport because there weren't enough gates. :sad:

i fly airplanes
Sep 6, 2010

monster on a stick posted:

I landed in Shanghai on a flight from the US and we had to roll up stairs to the jet and take a shuttle into the airport because there weren't enough gates. :sad:

Now try doing that with bus shuttles at Dubai International for a fully-loaded Emirates A380 in scorching Middle Eastern heat and sandy wind.

At least the logistics were impressive, I guess..

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

i fly airplanes posted:

Now try doing that with bus shuttles at Dubai International for a fully-loaded Emirates A380 in scorching Middle Eastern heat and sandy wind.

I swear I've been driven in one of those buses around Dubai airport back to the terminal for longer than the flight took.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

monster on a stick posted:

This happens at Dulles and Frankfurt all the time, often on airplanes traveling between the two airports.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

i fly airplanes posted:

Some airlines allow you to pool between family accounts, but every flyer needs their own account.
You can actually do this with British Airways, and credit AA flights to them.

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Airlines Phasing Out Screens Because You Are All on Your Devices:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/02/16/business/streaming-flights-movies.html

e: fix phone postin

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

i fly airplanes posted:

They do this for the A350 flights in Qatar as well. You disembark/board way way deep in the cargo section of the airport. It's really great when the only reason you have to be there is to change between two different A350s.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

taco show posted:

Good, get those stupid electronics control boxes out from under the seats so I can fit my carry on. I bring my own ipad. Kindle fires are less than $100. Everyone has a cell phone. Plenty of entertainment already.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Cacafuego posted:

Good, get those stupid electronics control boxes out from under the seats so I can fit my carry on. I bring my own ipad. Kindle fires are less than $100. Everyone has a cell phone. Plenty of entertainment already.

For an hour or two, sure. I dont want to hold my tablet up in front of my face for 2+ hours. Plus, IFE usually has pretty new movies on it.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

DJCobol posted:

For an hour or two, sure. I dont want to hold my tablet up in front of my face for 2+ hours. Plus, IFE usually has pretty new movies on it.

.....which you can watch on your tablet over wifi.

And buy a $10 case that works as a stand to put your tablet on the tray table.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

DJCobol posted:

Motronic posted:

.....which you can watch on your tablet over wifi.

And buy a $10 case that works as a stand to put your tablet on the tray table.

As referenced in that article though, take out the IFE, but ensure every seat has a (working) power outlet.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Cacafuego posted:

As referenced in that article though, take out the IFE, but ensure every seat has a (working) power outlet.

I just assume my seat won't, and really have no problems....although I would certainly prefer an outlet.

Modern (even cheap Fire) tablets are good for like 7 hours of watching video, and a $20 12000mAh usb battery pack will recharge it from dead more than twice.

I get everyone travels differently, but I'm not doing anything too far out of the ordinary, haven't sunk a lot of cash into "gear" (other than the requisite Bose QCs) and don't feel like I'm being weighed down by these couple items. Procedurally I just make sure I charge things at each destination, put it back in my travel bag and I'm good to go for next time.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

taco show posted:

ugh, I don't like this because my preference is to put some TV/Movie on the IFE and then use my own device to play a game, read, do work, or whatever. Plus the IFE is actually placed at a decent viewing angle. This is just a cost cutting measure they're spinning as something consumers want.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Thoguh posted:

ugh, I don't like this because my preference is to put some TV/Movie on the IFE and then use my own device to play a game, read, do work, or whatever. Plus the IFE is actually placed at a decent viewing angle. This is just a cost cutting measure they're spinning as something consumers want.

It apparently is something consumers want though and I am in that category. A huge percentage of the people do bring their own entertainment (at least on domestic flights) and never use the IFE. I don't doubt the airlines see it as a way to cut costs, especially if it's not making them $ because people aren't paying for it, and they have to maintain the systems and pay for content.

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe

Cacafuego posted:

It apparently is something consumers want though and I am in that category. A huge percentage of the people do bring their own entertainment (at least on domestic flights) and never use the IFE. I don't doubt the airlines see it as a way to cut costs, especially if it's not making them $ because people aren't paying for it, and they have to maintain the systems and pay for content.

Yeah, put me in the camp of take the out-of-date, slow, buggy IFE out of the seat, give me more cushion, take out the absurdly large equipment box and just give me a working outlet. Run the movies over WiFi if you really-got-to-have them.

Use the weight savings to stock more booze. That actually helps me get to my destination quicker.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
I guess I just don't see them as conflicting. If people want to be able to access IFE via wi-fi that's fine. But doing that and getting rid of in seat IFE aren't the same thing. They aren't responding to costumers who want IFE on their own devices by getting rid of seatback IFE. They're responding to customers who want IFE on their own devices and getting rid of seatback IFE. The two things aren't directly related.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Small White Dragon posted:

You can actually do this with British Airways, and credit AA flights to them.

I'm not sure this works with the discount fares I buy on AA.

FunOne posted:

Yeah, put me in the camp of take the out-of-date, slow, buggy IFE out of the seat, give me more cushion, take out the absurdly large equipment box and just give me a working outlet. Run the movies over WiFi if you really-got-to-have them.

Use the weight savings to stock more booze. That actually helps me get to my destination quicker.

Yep, definitely. My only exception to this is live sports on Jetblue TV.

Buckhead
Aug 12, 2005

___ days until the 2010 trade deadline :(
I was flying domestic Qantas 737s earlier this year, and every seat had a little strap from which you could hang a tablet.

I noticed 2 minor procedural differences in Australia: you cannot have headphone cords blocking the row (i.e. going from hanging tablet on the seat back to your ears) during takeoff/landing, and exit rows cannot have any luggage in them (even under the seat in front) during takeoff/landing.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
I'm flying into Charlotte multiple times over the next month for connections with approximately a one-hour layover It's All American. Does anybody anticipate that being a problem

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
They should figure out a way to let me put my tablet where the IFE was.

Thomamelas
Mar 11, 2009

Waroduce posted:

I'm flying into Charlotte multiple times over the next month for connections with approximately a one-hour layover It's All American. Does anybody anticipate that being a problem

Going from E to A or B can be kind of a hike. But generally it's not bad. The big headache you'll have is with American's boarding procedure, you get a lot of people blocking the main hallways of the terminals. Which always seems a bit worse in Charlotte.

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

Hashtag Banterzone posted:

They should figure out a way to let me put my tablet where the IFE was.

CX's new A350 has a short drop down tray where you can put a tablet in front of the IFE.

I'd much rather have IFE stream to my device, the IFE screen on almost every carrier is slow, terrible UI, unresponsive, has a terrible viewing angle if the person in front of you reclines, and will look old and low resolution in a few years compared to new phones and laptops. Save space and weight for something that almost everyone is bringing on the plane with them anyways.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Anyone have experience with ALOFT? a king bed is in a 300sqft room....but I want the spg points...it's the only spg thing around my client and it's next to a gym...

I could do mariott I guess

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Waroduce posted:

As long as you're not coming into Charlotte on an international flight, you're good. Their international baggage claim is perpetually broken, causing customs to back up to eternity.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Waroduce posted:

Anyone have experience with ALOFT? a king bed is in a 300sqft room....but I want the spg points...it's the only spg thing around my client and it's next to a gym...

I could do mariott I guess

I've enjoyed the alofts in Phoenix airport area and Atlanta. Limited service but clean. Low expectations are key to success. Comfy beds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Aloft tries a little too hard to be trendy but I don't mind them. Comfy beds, clean and fancy bathrooms with standing showers.