Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

a lot of armour is p. ugly (i'm looking at you, vaal regalias)

this is just part of GGGs plan to drive mtx sales tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Soothing Vapors posted:

Not really. You get used to the ugliness though.

- SV's wife

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

Jinnigan posted:

I really wanna make some kind of 1h sword and board character next league. Can't wait to see the patch notes to plan it out

I'm hoping to try some sort of varunastra blocksplosion gladiator depending on how much ambush breach and beyond I get

I might go with my "swarm of angry bees" animate weapon build just to get up and running to clear quickly and cheaply since I only spent like 20c (not counting chromes/jewelers) and I can clear T14 maps. It's also nice going fast. Necromancer witch, +2 minions hat with AW Spell Totem Minion Damage Melee Splash, swap spell totem for multistrike for bosses, and maybe splash with WED. Victario's chest (for auras/blasphemy) and victario's shield (with necro aegis, gives your minions power and frenzy charges but is laggy as gently caress). My main skills for clearing up to where I start getting a lot of weapons are SRS in a 3 link +3 fire gems sceptre, unlinked zombies, and a single flame sentinel. This is usually plenty to get rolling on an army of weapons. You usually don't even need a ton to clear, but having a huge swarm trivializes most bosses.

The only thing I hate about the build is running 60% reduced regen, because regen mostly keeps me healthy from chip damage and ES regen with MOM/EB is abysmally slow and it makes maps slower than temp chains :mad:

You usually wind up with like 40-70 weapons after finishing a breach and then can zip to the boss and kill it in seconds, then clear the rest of the map.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'll probably start with a bog standard ED/Contagion Occultist, soulstrike/wicked ward. then start building into some of the absurd legacy stuff whenever i get lucky.

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!

queeb posted:

I'll probably start with a bog standard ED/Contagion Occultist, soulstrike/wicked ward. then start building into some of the absurd legacy stuff whenever i get lucky.

Yeah ED/Contagion with abyssal cry in a 4L is a pretty good starter build. A lot of beyond dudes have pretty high chaos resist but that didn't stop people from playing full conversion fire builds back during the last flashback

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
my first is probably going to be a scorching ray cwc firestorm build to push into maps, maybe turn it into poisonstorm should legacy consuming darks be "common"

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Cory in the Blouse posted:

Yeah ED/Contagion with abyssal cry in a 4L is a pretty good starter build. A lot of beyond dudes have pretty high chaos resist but that didn't stop people from playing full conversion fire builds back during the last flashback

do we know if the ES/life nerf/buffs are happening this league? if ES takes a hit that may change things, but I guess the SS/WW occultist doesnt use ghost reaver/vaal pact anyways so it might not matter.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

queeb posted:

do we know if the ES/life nerf/buffs are happening this league? if ES takes a hit that may change things, but I guess the SS/WW occultist doesnt use ghost reaver/vaal pact anyways so it might not matter.
We know that they are not happening until FoO.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

cinci zoo sniper posted:

We know that they are not happening until FoO.

Chris requests that you please call the expac 'Fall' or 'Oriath' and not FoO! Thank you for your cooperation.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

panda clue posted:

Chris requests that you please call the expac 'Fall' or 'Oriath' and not FoO! Thank you for your cooperation.
Bar.

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx
I've seen a few people playing Burning Arrow prolif builds with Xoph's Nurture this league, and it looks relatively viable as is from what I can tell. I'm thinking that if you add to that Sudden Ignition and a handful of Pitch Darknesses (which aren't new, but will be significantly easier to use), that should be significantly more effective, possibly very very good. I'm especially encouraged that single target will be roughly 3 times better than current builds because of an extra ignite and an extra burning ground (based on the ignite) since single target was a complaint I heard from people playing BA prolif right now.

So basically, BA with xoph's for free prolif, with double ignites, and semi common burning ground effects based on the ignite. Am I missing any glaring flaws or obvious ways to significantly improve this?

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Lechtansi posted:

Also, is there anything that can be done about the fact that this game is horrifically ugly?

I find the game to have great graphics. If you zoom in there's lots of detail on things. Maybe you need glasses or something?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

i wish i could zoom in closer on my character

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I play in first person mode.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

panda clue posted:

I play in first person mode.

lol if you dont

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Katasi posted:

So basically, BA with xoph's for free prolif, with double ignites, and semi common burning ground effects based on the ignite. Am I missing any glaring flaws or obvious ways to significantly improve this?

Is the burning ground worth it? I could grab one of the jewels and see if I can fit it in my tree as a test.

panda clue
May 23, 2014
The stairs meme images are honestly a pretty good way to compare how the game used to look and how it (mostly) looks now:

I'd agree the game didn't look great years ago, but its about up to AAA market standards at this point for the genre.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
He also stated in an article they have a team constantly updating old stuff. So I wouldn't worry about the graphics of older stuff.

quote:

Me: "Cloak's physics, new spells visuals... yet PoE is a game that is slowly but inexorably getting outdated by the new graphic engines. What could we expect in the future of PoE?"

Chris: "We have a team working on keeping things up to date. While our new assets and systems are cutting-edge 2017-quality, they're also working on replacing our oldest assets. By now, a large portion of Act One has been replaced with much newer art. Various NPCs that were previously made eight years ago are also being replaced. We expect this replacement cycle to continue."

Katasi
Nov 22, 2005
White water rafting down the river styx

Magus42 posted:

Is the burning ground worth it? I could grab one of the jewels and see if I can fit it in my tree as a test.

In the original press release about threshold jewels, they said that the burning ground on Pitch Darkness was based on the ignite damage, so it should be good dps, but the tree investment to make it happen right now is a little bit steep. In 2.6 when it only needs 40 dex and they don't need to be allocated, it should be much more viable.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Where's all this threshold jewel info? I didn't see it on the announcement page

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

StashAugustine posted:

One of the chris interviews?

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

Katasi posted:

In the original press release about threshold jewels, they said that the burning ground on Pitch Darkness was based on the ignite damage, so it should be good dps, but the tree investment to make it happen right now is a little bit steep. In 2.6 when it only needs 40 dex and they don't need to be allocated, it should be much more viable.

I can grab a single additional dex node and fit one into my build right now to try it out. I could fit a second with only 2 additional nodes, if it seems useful.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do we have confirmation about this "allocated" change?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Awesome! posted:

I can confirm it personally since I went to the SF meetup where it was mentioned. Also, you can see the threshold jewels on the announcement page have different wording than current jewels. The current ones say 'X allocated in radius', and the teaser ones simply say 'X in radius'.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Awesome! posted:

Threshold jewels all use the same text for their allocation rules; the new ones have text that is distinctly different. Either there's now two types of threshold jewels, or more likely, they just made all of them easier to use.

e: Or that dude can confirm it personally I guess.

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

panda clue posted:

I can confirm it personally since I went to the SF meetup where it was mentioned. Also, you can see the threshold jewels on the announcement page have different wording than current jewels. The current ones say 'X allocated in radius', and the teaser ones simply say 'X in radius'.

:aaaaa:

How did I not notice that?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

whypick1 posted:

- SV's wife

I thought I was safe until September :(

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
This game isnt ugly. now marvel heroes that game is uuugly

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

StashAugustine posted:

It in the 2.6 announcement not the 3.0 one.

quote:

Additional New Content

We're adding many smaller pieces of content to coincide with the release of the Legacy league. This includes a set of 10 new Threshold Jewels, 16 powerful new unique weapons and armour pieces, a new unique Strongbox, and six new Rogue Exiles.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Look at the red strap draped across her neck. rip nessa

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

No spoilers.

madstrike
Jun 10, 2013

dangerdoom volvo posted:

This game isnt ugly. now marvel heroes that game is uuugly

Well, i'm sorry if the vaginas length in marvel heroes aren't up to your taste.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

madstrike posted:

Well, i'm sorry if the vagines length in marvel heroes aren't up to your taste.

Mystery Prize
Nov 7, 2010

Mr. Despair posted:

a lot of armour is p. ugly (i'm looking at you, vaal regalias)

this is just part of GGGs plan to drive mtx sales tho

Hubris Circlets are basically begging for you to use MTX on them, their base art is hideous.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I like to think of an MTX theme that fits whatever my character does for a primary attack style. Then I buy whatever (except wings, gently caress that) to make it work.

It's me, I'm the pretty princess.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
The MTX Tab doesn't exist any more in 3.0.0. It is being replaced with another system to access your microtransactions.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't
Yep. Chris let word of that slip several days ago. I wish they'd show it off, as I'm curious how it'll work.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Magus42 posted:

Yep. Chris let word of that slip several days ago. I wish they'd show it off, as I'm curious how it'll work.

MTX attached to 'slots' rather than specific gears, more fanfare when you open a box (ala Overwatch), presumably something you can do with your duplicates.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

panda clue posted:

presumably something you can do with your duplicates.
this would be extremely good. i dont even want 1 demonic split arrow nevermind the 2 i got from boxes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I've known about this game for a while but never really invested in it. As far as I am aware it is similar in gameplay to diablo, with an incredibly complex level system and pretty darn great loot system.

I keep hearing about this massive announcment they made, introducing acts and things. Can someone explain why this announcement is so great for someone who doesn't really know much of anything about the game? I am thinking about getting into it but people keep saying ot wait till March 3rd, again why wait?

• Locked thread