Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ICHIBAHN
Feb 21, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Ugh, it can be a grind, having to Gameplan and drill your Gameplan, lots of waiting around during the comp, nerves, making weight, the financial aspect. It's totally worth it but it doesn't come without anxiety.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even if you're not super serious about it, you still need to keep an eye on weight, and take the greater risk of injury. For busy people, it can be difficult to set aside a day for the tournament, especially if you have to travel.

You ever get up at 5am to drive 3h while cutting weight? poo poo loving sucks.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
*Do first competition*

- Hungry from the weight cut.
- Tired because the stress kept you awake all night
- Antsy because of the long ride to the venue
- Crash hard after the first adrenalin dump
- Lose all your matches because you never had to manage nerves in a situation like that and you've thrown your gameplan out the window.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Grappling competitions suck

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
Competitions are full of dangerous fuckwits. Like people who'll try and slam you off the edge of the mat onto the basketball court floor because of their father issues or something.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004
Definite:
Higher risk of injury
Many tournaments, especially local, commonly running hours behind or otherwise a pain in the rear end

Possible:
Performance Anxiety
Cash
Having to be in shape
Can't do weekends

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Grappling tournaments are expensive. I did it once, wished I had saved the money and just got a private lesson instead. I'm happy they exist, but not for me.

Bangkero
Dec 28, 2005

I baptize thee
not in the name of the father
but in the name of the devil.
When I first began judo in my 20s my buddy and I were gungho to compete. During competition training two meatheads really got into their randori and one ended up popping out his hip from the socket when he based out on an uchi mata. :psypop:

His screams of agony while we waited for the ambulance deterred me enough to postpone competing. Never got over that hump and now that I'm in my mid-30s I'm okay just helping my competitive teammates train to compete. I'm really a hobbyist at best and I'm okay with that.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Pocket Billiards posted:

Competitions are full of dangerous fuckwits. Like people who'll try and slam you off the edge of the mat onto the basketball court floor because of their father issues or something.

Thoughts on concrete?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

JaySB posted:

Have you competed? It's a lot different than regular rolling. Risk of injury is significantly higher.

Yep. I've been in a white belt tournament packed with two year white belts. I loved every minute of it. Except the weight cutting, gently caress that.

I also have a bunch of fencing experience and competitions under my belt. It's similar in structure and vibe.

I appreciate all the responses. Anything that helps me understand what people are thinking is so valuable.

Also, stayed after class today to help the higher belts roll. gently caress my life.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Neon Belly posted:

Thoughts on concrete?

its really hard, but its durable.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

At tournaments if you're just going for fun, be ready to tap fast and don't be afraid to just tap to bullshit stuff if you feel as if you might get hurt. There's no money on the line, or no rankings or anything. Last time I went to a BJJ tournament I tapped to an accidental kick to the face because gently caress it, it doesn't matter.

Had a newish experience at BJJ tonight. For the first time in quite a while we had a few new guys who were 100% new to grappling but who also seemed really athletic. They were completely helpless against me (as in I could sweep and mount them and arm triangle them at will). To have that experience against bigger, stronger new guys was kinda new, but it was not totally uncharted territory for me to be able to smash a newbie.

This time, what was different is that I had the idea "I'm going to do nothing but play full guard and look for hip bump sweep/triangle against them," that being a technique I'm drilling but still having trouble landing in randori. It turned into a fun game as they got a sense of what I was trying and worked out ways to stop it, while I got a chance to practice my new thing and look for setups. It felt way more productive than almost any roll I've had in the last month.

WayneCampbell
Oct 7, 2005
You got me a gunrack?!? I don't even own a gun, let alone alone enough to nessecitate an entire rack.
My fear of serious injury is keeping me form competing, especially since I use my body to make a living. I think it would easier to negotiate mentally if I had a desk job. Also, I'm about to turn 31 so I still feel young but I'm not far off from older dude either.

I'm not ruling it out and I'm feeling the temptation as tournaments approach.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
There are people who enter tournaments to win at all costs, and will cheat and hurt people on purpose to win, including claiming to be a lot less experienced than they are to face easier competition. These people go hard to the point where they are trying to snap a limb. Its not the same as rolling with a team mate and I can completely understand why one wouldn't want any part in competition.

willie_dee
Jun 21, 2010
I obtain sexual gratification from observing people being inflicted with violent head injuries
I'm getting more comfortable taking stuff to the ground, as I like to stand and box it always comes as a complete surprise when I shoot for a double on any of my sparring partners. My main problem is that I dive down, get the double, drive, and go forward, my brain cannot get through going sideways once I'm down there. Is this a common mistake?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

WayneCampbell posted:

My fear of serious injury is keeping me form competing, especially since I use my body to make a living. I think it would easier to negotiate mentally if I had a desk job. Also, I'm about to turn 31 so I still feel young but I'm not far off from older dude either.

I'm not ruling it out and I'm feeling the temptation as tournaments approach.

I'm thirty-three soon and my body is a genetic joke. You got this, my man.

Also I think I'm bleedin' inside my chest.

Edit - It sounds like a lot of absolute cunts are at casual competitions and I haven't experienced that yet. If everything holds up, I will. I'm interested in seeing it firsthand.

Dave Grool
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I've done around 12 or 15 comps and everybody's been pretty cool :shrug: I usually compete in Masters though

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
i cant speak for grappling but i would much rather compete against masters than regular amateurs. and not just cos theyre old either :troll:

FreakyMetalKid
Nov 23, 2003

Competitions have never been attractive to me because paying $100 to wait around and maybe roll a couple times just doesn't seem like a good deal for my time or money. If I want to get beat up by strangers, another gym's open mat will be a small mat fee or free and I could get a whole bunch of rolls in. I also never want to think about points. It's more fun to lose positions and get swept, passed, or nearly submitted before eventually hitting a cool technique than it is to get and hold top position the whole time. I'm sure my game doesn't pass the "Helio Filter" but I don't care. I'm doing it for fun exercise as a hobby. I'm not interested in doing things that take the fun away. You know, like learning to wrestle.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
What's an average BJJ tourney price? I paid ten bucks for mine and later found out the gym barely covered the cost of the tiny trophy shop trophies.

I can certainly see cash flow being a deterrent.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

I competed last weekend, at a local competition. I'm also in masters, purple belt, super heavy so I had one opponent. It cost me £40, so almost $50 (whoa man the pound is bad these days).

I did 'win' a medal though :ughh:

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

IBJJF tournaments are about $100 aud to enter, and if you lose your first match you don't get a second round. So it's possible to pay $100 and be out in ten seconds.

Some of the smaller ones are better. Grappling Industries is about the same price but you get at least four matches even if you lose them all.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Captain Log posted:

What's an average BJJ tourney price? I paid ten bucks for mine and later found out the gym barely covered the cost of the tiny trophy shop trophies.

I can certainly see cash flow being a deterrent.

IBJJF, NAGA and a lot of the other "real" grappling federations are $90+ to enter....Really lovely if you're old and heavy and only get one or two matches.

My first tournament was Masters 1, white belt, super heavy. There weren't a lot of guys compared to say...Adult, blue, lightweight. I plan on doing PanAms and Worlds this year though.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

On another note. This sequence is really loving cool. And there is an arm bar from a north south choke transition that I've added into the chain which I really like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPvhH27vr8

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

JaySB posted:

On another note. This sequence is really loving cool. And there is an arm bar from a north south choke transition that I've added into the chain which I really like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUPvhH27vr8

humble request to keep posting sequences you like man because i'm loving it

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Thoughts on concrete?

This is mens masters blue belt division in pluma weight at the Kensington YMCA. It isn't for beta pussies.

Kekekela
Oct 28, 2004

WayneCampbell posted:

My fear of serious injury

I've never seen anyone get seriously hurt. When I mention increased injuries, I'm talking about stuff that keeps you out/ slows you down for a few weeks.

(and its not from guys going nuts on subs although I'm sure that happens, its just what happens when you have two people going hard from standing...gravity sucks)

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
Last comp I did, a dude took down another guy and ended up in a judo scarf hold on the guy he took down, thig was, he popped his ankle and it was pointing in a really weird way. He did an armbar variation from that position, got the sub and then went off the mats to reset his foot, he then went on to do some more matches.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Had a gym mate who had a dude dead to rights in a straight ankle lock. Dude wouldn't tap so he cranked it, and then you heard the popping, it was real gross. Dude sat in that for like. 10 seconds. Time was called and my friend lost by two points, but the dude barely walked off the mat limping. I would not be surprised if the dude had a lengthy recovery. I just don't have that kinda drive to win. Then watch the teenage divisions for real gross flying armbars that end in someone's arm getting torn off.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

KildarX posted:

Had a gym mate who had a dude dead to rights in a straight ankle lock. Dude wouldn't tap so he cranked it, and then you heard the popping, it was real gross. Dude sat in that for like. 10 seconds. Time was called and my friend lost by two points, but the dude barely walked off the mat limping. I would not be surprised if the dude had a lengthy recovery. I just don't have that kinda drive to win. Then watch the teenage divisions for real gross flying armbars that end in someone's arm getting torn off.

Ref should have stopped it.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Refereeing at events is on a ref by ref basis as to how good it is. Ref probably took the view that the dude didn't scream and he didn't tap so he must be fine.

Personally I'm a little bitch who tends to tap if I can't immediately get the escape

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
My ankles pop loudly every time I'm put in a straight ankle lock. It's like they're helping me.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Tezcatlipoca posted:

My ankles pop loudly every time I'm put in a straight ankle lock. It's like they're helping me.

i pop people's backs whenever I go for whatever the double unders > gable grip lower back > foot sweep is called and to a man they have said that it feels great. i should start charging for my services

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I just dropped $115 (groan) to do a local Grappling Industries tournament. I'm a white belt, and got smashed the first tournament I went to, so I'm hoping I do a little better this time around since now I'll be : getting into the lower of the two weight classes I could do, competing in masters, aaaand hopefully I've gotten better since then. Sandbagging wooo

Decades
Apr 12, 2007

College Slice
Well since we're sharing competition updates, I did my second one a couple weeks ago at grappling industries Manhattan. Long story short got smashed 8 times. Still sorting through some feelings. Competition is hard.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Decades posted:

Well since we're sharing competition updates, I did my second one a couple weeks ago at grappling industries Manhattan. Long story short got smashed 8 times. Still sorting through some feelings. Competition is hard.

8 matches worth of experience is a pretty drat good return on your investment, win or lose

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Decades posted:

even so, you got a lot better from doing it. competition is where you really get strong and learning how to lose is a part of that. handling a defeat will raise you above everyone who cant handle it because soon enough they wont be competing at all

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003
I think competition is totally different than rolling with people you've never rolled with at like an open gym. Both have that element that you aren't aware of your opponents game so you have to be on your toes, but one of them has something at stake, even if it's a pointless medal or pride.

I've competed once so far and I couldn't describe any particular roll out of doing this for 100+ hours with the guys I normally go against, but I can describe large portions of all of my competition matches, and I came out of it with a strong sense of specific things I needed to work on.

I probably would not compete at a tournament where one loss and I'm out though, unless it's one of the huge ones just because they aren't free.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

IBJJF tournaments are about $100 aud to enter, and if you lose your first match you don't get a second round. So it's possible to pay $100 and be out in ten seconds.

I did my first competition this past August with IBJJF. It was 8 months since I started and with time off more like 7 months of training. I got tapped by armbar in under 3 minutes. And I loved every second of it.

Doing my second competition (IBJJF again) at the beginning of April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manyak
Jan 26, 2006

Wangsbig posted:

8 matches worth of experience is a pretty drat good return on your investment, win or lose

If i could guarantee i was gonna get destroyed 8 times every time i went to a grappling tournament i'd compete a lot more tbh. Im over paying $100 to sit at a high school gymnasium all day then get like 1 match badly judged and badly refereed against someone of wildly varying skill level