Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Imagine going through life this loving dumb, if anything Chris Roberts should be thanked for taking this poor bastards thoughts off his own flawed existence. Even if he did charge him a few thousand for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

boviscopophobic posted:

Possible new development: CIG asked for photo ID before they would issue a refund.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/5umcd9/fredfredbug4_gets_a_refund/

I just emailed my attorney, as I'm quite sure that's not legal.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

biglads posted:

stimpire.txt

Thank you for grounding us in reality. I just called my parents and read them this, after I reminded them that I love them.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Demanding real identifying documents that require scanning or forms that need faxing would be a good way to slow down and discourage people asking for refunds.

I also can't see any other reason to do that other than to try and slow down and discourage refunds.

Maybe their tactics of arguing, pleading or misdirecting people isn't working as well as they would like since everyone who has enough money on the line has motivation to figure out they can not deny refunds under any circumstances.

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

peter gabriel posted:

Will CIG run out of money before the general public runs out of fucks to give?

If you reflect a moment, you will find gently caress-giving to be a rather specialized market, with the 'general public' not having fucks to give to anything.

So it is really a matter of whales finding someplace else to give their fucks. And I think we are approaching singularity.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
..meanwhile, over there.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Space Crabs posted:

Demanding real identifying documents that require scanning or forms that need faxing would be a good way to slow down and discourage people asking for refunds.

Identifying 'troublemakers'.

Trying to build a cogent argument around paid agitprop being the source of all the trouble.

It's still terrifically shady to ask for information other than that supplied during the order unless say, the email address changed. That's generally used as the specific endpoint to define 'You', although it's being supplanted by the mobile device as a physical token.

Personally, I think you're right, I'm just thinking out loud.

Edit:
On Planetside 2;

They actually split the entire map into cells, a little like cell towers, and you 'see' a number of cells depending on the number of objects in a given set of cells. The Crown used to get terrible visibility just before a big push from the zerg.

In fact, there was a bug that involved using C4 on a sundie with a particular mod that would disconnect everyone in a node. That was really loving annoying for a couple of months.

Hav fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Feb 17, 2017

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

peter gabriel posted:

To be fair they did add a Lumberyard logo to the start up screen

If its like the "Made in Georgia" deal, you get a rebate if you do so. So maybe they are saving a few % on AWS cost by putting the logo there.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

"Thank you for contacting Legal Zoom support live chat, my name is Rakesh. How can I assist you today?"

Insane Man: "STAR CITIZEN is asking for proof ID when someone asks for a refund and furthermore as I had done in my game Line of Defense that would have been laughed at 15 years ago in my :siren: THE JULY BLOG :siren: and furthermore" *continues ranting, randomly bolding and hyperlinking until hitting the character limit*

Rakesh: "I'm sorry sir, I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are you having an issue with one of our forms?"

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
remembering the good times from 2016

TheAgent posted:

according to my drinking buddy, to hit full release this is the actual internal timetable and not chris's headcanon

sq42
2017 1st episode/preview (10 hours of gameplay/cutscenes)
2018 2nd episode
2019+ complete game

SC
2017/2018 3.0 (with all promised features)
2019 first real pre-alpha release
2020 alpha
2021 beta
2022+ release (final with most features in, not all ships, not all systems, etc)

this is with the current teams and contracted studios

my drinkin friend said they thought the company would need another $175 to $250m in order to continue working until SC is released

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

D_Smart posted:

Don't hound him too much on it.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
You would be a complete fool to provide additional PERSONAL INFORMATION to a company that has been KNOWN to ABUSE user data.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

Don't hound him too much on it.

His bark is worse than his bite. You shouldn't even paws for thought.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

AP posted:

Imagine going through life this loving dumb, if anything Chris Roberts should be thanked for taking this poor bastards thoughts off his own flawed existence. Even if he did charge him a few thousand for it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XyFfmGf3b2Y

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

Speaking as a layman with access to Ctrl+F

The cast iron terms of service contain no references to identification or photograph (or variants).

If they aren't worried about identity theft in taking the money, they shouldn't have standing to claim concerns on identity theft in refunding the money.

Golli fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Feb 17, 2017

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Actually I don't think that is the case. I mean it's the common joke that backers are dumb enough to keep this trash fire going but something to consider is the cost of Squadron 42. It's a shift in consideration for what they are doing since it would be an actual release.

If the leaks are true and SQlude has taken focus with other things being dependent on it that means they don't have enough money to develop Squadron 42 from the backers, and they were never actually developing Star Citizen to begin with.

So if the project is dependent on SQlude and it does terribly that means they can't afford to finish Squadron 42 (since it will be more of the same terribly animated, terribly written, terribly received horse poo poo) and the only way they will ever make Star Citizen is if Squadron 42 generates them enough money to actually start developing it.

I've included a finely crafted jpeg to highlight my point

Basically instead of backers being able to see both products released over enough time, it's independent of backer funds and a series of things have to happen which are dependent instead on Chris Robert's script writing and animation. Sqlude will make the money to finish SQ42 which will make the money to actually develop Star Citizen. If one of those steps fails the entire thing fails, and the SQlude will be the first actual step they have taken in 5 years.

To shamelessly quote myself, Add "3.0 Patch" in there before SQLude since theagent's leaks make it sound like they can't even finish the SQlude now and are pushing it back to try and make more money with another smoke and mirror routine.

The real deciding factor is how long it takes them to make 3.0, how the whale's attitudes hold up and how their expenditures go.

It's entirely possible they hit a point where 3.0 is still months away, their income in way below whats needed and then they have to do some downsizing or take other actions that signify bad health or trouble with the company which will have a disastrous impact on the whales which will further hurt the income.

I don't believe people that say this will last years and years, especially since it looks like Crobblers will run 100% inefficient right up until he is unable anymore and then have no preparation and no assets to try and proceed at a sensible / reduced pace. If he were going to settle in for another few years of development or any of the theoretical situations where he can survive a complete collapse of backer faith then he would have downsized already or taken a single step toward something sensible and efficient.

It's like a sports star that has tens of millions of dollars buying solid gold toilets and jets with giant sapphires for windows. People can totally argue he could liquidate X or survive off of Y if he made sensible responses to things that happen, but nope hes going to keep writing checks until they start bouncing and end up with a huge amount of debt.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
"hundreds of thousands of people maybe in one instance," - Erin Roberts

Golli
Jan 5, 2013

TrustmeImLegit posted:

"hundreds of thousands of people maybe in one instance," - Erin Roberts

maybe

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
A whale (any gamer paying more than $60 for a game, is considered a whale) just got his refund, and posted a pretty good synopsis behind his reasoning.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Goddamn that is some seriously delicious looking technosalad.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

I'm the comment from Erin Roberts about how hard actual work is now , after simply copy and pasting in his last job for 10 years

Erin , the one everyone said would make Chris finish the game .... alarm bells should be ringing

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

:gary: :yarg:

do you read these to yourself or do you do an inner dialogue? I am just curious on your blogging process.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Your argument seems to be based on the opinion that servers, PCs, and networking hasn't improved in over 15 years. In 2003, having 200,000 polygons in a player model was seen as inconceivable. It's not impossible now.

People with decades under their belts declared that electric cars weren't either possible, feasible, wanted, or profitable. Elon Musk is laughing.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

D_Smart posted:

A whale (any gamer paying more than $60 for a game, is considered a whale) just got his refund, and posted a pretty good synopsis behind his reasoning.

i would argue Whales start above 100$. Sadly most serious AAA titles are now sold for 60$ + 40$ season pass if you want "the whole game" and i dont consider getting a "collector edition" at 80$ for like game + soundtrack or game+ cloth map or T-Shirt or artbook really being a whale.

I politely suggest being carefull with throwing "Impossible" around. History has shown that with enough money and human suffering (Provided in this case by CIG peons and backers) great things can be acheived. The odds and all proof of experience are against them, but who know, they might stumble on another young Carmack or Mitnick among the interns. The catholic church has been fleecing pesants with the promise of heaven for 2000 years, so maybe CIG can keep fleecing the backers untill someone else resolve the n+1 problem for them.

Assuming they keep releasing half backed yearly modules with the promises to tie them all up together "someday" this dumpster fire can burn for a long, long time. The monkeys might not write the whole Hamlet on the typewriters, but they might make a good first act if given 15 years.

aleksendr fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Feb 17, 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Where I work, it's illegal to request or store identifying information that is not required to conduct your business. More than that, it's also illegal to store personal information beyond the scope of the transaction in which it's required, unless you have a legit reason. Plus, everywhere I've worked has treated identifying info as a liability to be avoided at all costs. As it raises various insurance and maintenance costs... If you're doing things properly, at least.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

You can't be a whale without micro-transactions*

*macro-transactions in SC's case.

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

a whale I think now is 200+. Most AAA BS stuff is about $170 Can for the game/dlc/season pass/extra poo poo.

mmo whales etc are different breed.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

http://weekender.pcgamer.com/whats-on/developer-stage

Fun and engaging gameplay, something CIG is very good at

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Nicholas posted:

Its gonna be like the ending to The Sixth Sense

:lol:

Laughed out loud and then adjusted my Fedora.

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf

Daztek posted:

But will they have another ship sale?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Daztek posted:

gently caress buying a ticket. I'll just hide in a catering crate and sneak in.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

D_Smart posted:

Hmm, I think it's become fairly commonplace for gambling websites to ask for ID before processing a withdrawal. They claim it's anti-money laundering, though if the money is only going back to the same place it came from I don't really get that. Probably just another pain in the rear end hoop for refundees to jump through.

E. From Ladbrokes help for reference..

Wrecked Angle fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Feb 17, 2017

intardnation
Feb 18, 2016

I'm going to space!

Wrecked Angle posted:

Hmm, I think it's become fairly commonplace for gambling websites to ask for ID before processing a withdrawal. They claim it's anti-money laundering, though if the money is only going back to the same place it came from I don't really get that. Probably just another pain in the rear end hoop for refundees to jump through.

moms do it in Canada to try and stop selling to under age kids. I take it they ask id from people all over the world?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7532763/#Comment_7532763

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Snazzy Frocks posted:

why hasn't anyone just taken the star citizen idea, removed all the impossible parts, and developed it with a competent team

Hellion.

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
so since we're on the topic of refunds and that whole data collection that bit CIG in the rear end, I figure now would be a good time tell everyone that a source tells me that if you have gotten/requested a refund, you are essentially blacklisted, and purchasing a ship in the future may be problematic if the game ever comes out (lol)

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

nawledgelambo posted:

so since we're on the topic of refunds and that whole data collection that bit CIG in the rear end, I figure now would be a good time tell everyone that a source tells me that if you have gotten/requested a refund, you are essentially blacklisted, and purchasing a ship in the future may be problematic if the game ever comes out (lol)

darn, CIG finally killed the grey market???

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Upcoming heavy changes for StarMarine !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Krycek posted:

But will they have another ship sale?

Ofcourse, commando!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5uoh8k/anvil_hurricane_concept_sale_for_friday_24th_on/