Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Zaphod42 posted:

In an actual fight against a real human throwing mixups at you, it is. If you know its coming, it isn't. That's the whole point.

no, it isn't. you repeatedly saying it does not make it true. in most situations, you should not get hit by non-confirmed GBs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

punch drunk posted:

Can you guard break Shugokis run? What do I do when they run to a choke like a bridge?

Yes. Like grabbing a bull by the horns, you can guardbreak him out of it and then toss his fat rear end off a ledge.

No idea what the timing is. I just know its possible because its happened to me.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

titties posted:

Then I am not good because I find it impossible to anticipate a guard break, I can't block any of the dual hatchet viking's attack chains, and am too astonished to use my bleed attack when I manage a deflect.

If you're a scrub bitch like me then take heart because you can still have fun and win some of your matches and even have a positive kdr sometimes.

I'm a scrub bitch like you and I have a 2.8 KD

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
the GB mechanics are kicking my rear end, I just can't seem to get counter GB down. And as the current FOTM all get free heavy on GB they just spam it over and over again. I can't figure out when to counter, seen video's of doing when you here the sound but that does not work.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

in most situations, you should not get hit by non-confirmed GBs.

Right, in most situations, like when it is obvious that it is coming and you don't get juked. You're literally agreeing with him. Half of this game at a higher level is about mind games and convincing people you're doing one thing and then swapping to another. See: Warden dash -> attack -> dash -> feint -> GB. Very good players fall for that combo or similar ones all the time.

"Just play perfectly" is not an argument.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Feb 17, 2017

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

1500 posted:

the GB mechanics are kicking my rear end, I just can't seem to get counter GB down. And as the current FOTM all get free heavy on GB they just spam it over and over again. I can't figure out when to counter, seen video's of doing when you here the sound but that does not work.

Yeah just press it as soon as you hear the sound. Turn up the volume and don't listen to music (:smith:) if you're having trouble.

Like somebody else was saying too, if you want to look at the icons, its not when the guardbreak symbol appears on the opponent but when the red symbol flashes on your own char. But I find the sound to be way more reliable to go off.

Trickiest part is the sound effect is different for each char.

Nov 3, 2015

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah just press it as soon as you hear the sound. Turn up the volume and don't listen to music (:smith:) if you're having trouble.

Like somebody else was saying too, if you want to look at the icons, its not when the guardbreak symbol appears on the opponent but when the red symbol flashes on your own char. But I find the sound to be way more reliable to go off.

Trickiest part is the sound effect is different for each char.

I am playing the level 2 bot, and Can defiantly say it is not when the sound plays, you seem to have to push it right before the sound happens. Never play games with music going.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo
Is there any visual indicator for when a guard break is uncounterable? Or do you have to just know exactly what situations make you unable to counter them?

Tekopo posted:

Ah right I get what you mean. You can use the button that is usually used to feint (circle on the PS4) to cancel the charged heavy, even if it isn't technically a feint. If that's the case, I didn't know about so thanks :)

Yeah the moveset descriptions aren't clear imo :argh:

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The argument is essentially "I am having fun crushing them and they're not having fun getting crushed. They leave and then I don't have any fun. So, they should be forced to be miserable so I have fun, on penalty of being locked out of their game that they paid for."

How about put the blame in the right place: the dumbshit matchmaking that puts together a match where one guy is guaranteed not to have any fun? Not the guy who leaves, not the guy who does the smashing. Or just resign yourself to fact that they already got punished with an asskicking + having to leave, re-queue, and try to find a decent game.

I don't disagree! It's just delightfully audacious.

titties posted:

Then I am not good because I find it impossible to anticipate a guard break, I can't block any of the dual hatchet viking's attack chains, and am too astonished to use my bleed attack when I manage a deflect.

If you're an assassin you gotta mix up dodges with parries, if you're talking nobushi don't ever let an assassin get close. Remember to end your combos with a kick and don't be afraid to dodge/roll away to put space between you.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

I just had the entire enemy team rush the point I was holding in an attempt to get out of sudden death. I got killed but instantly won the match because they all got killed by the passive perk that drops a grenade when you die.

Honoraburu desu

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Internet Kraken posted:

So how is the Warlord? Fun to play? He's probably the class I see the least of online and barely anyone talks about him as well.

I've been maining him since release. If you're at all good at parries and blocks the guy's amazing. He's got two incredibly easy chains: light-hard and hard-light. That's it. His light attack has a super-guard ability that lets him block an attack with his shield and STILL get a light attack through. He'll also man-up with super-armor with a heavy attack and trade blows. He's also got a kicking-rad headbutt.

Basically Warlords punish people that try to attack or guardbreak them by hitting them back. If they're passive you headbutt them or guard-break and throw them. He also can shield-charge while sprinting and carry an enemy (discounting Slammurai) about half a million miles to the nearest bridge, spike-wall or other hazard.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
You know I think one of the biggest problems with the entire faction war thing is that you have to deploy assets at the end of each match individually. I never bother to do it because I either forget or just want to play another match ASAP. If it let you do it at a later point from the multiplayer screen it'd work a lot better.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

That Gobbo posted:

Any opinions or tips on Shogoki? Picked the game up last night and I love big slow characters and he seemed fun.

Use his tantrum taunt to sit on people after a kill.

Other than that he's pretty simple. Mix things up with your zone attack and your light->headbutt. Also don't forget you can change how long you charge your unblock able heavies for which fucks with enemy timing. He's great. Simple, but great.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Internet Kraken posted:

You know I think one of the biggest problems with the entire faction war thing is that you have to deploy assets at the end of each match individually. I never bother to do it because I either forget or just want to play another match ASAP. If it let you do it at a later point from the multiplayer screen it'd work a lot better.

Don't worry if you don't manually do it, it automatically does an even distribution for you

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
"I can't play for most of the weekend so I'll get in one more Dominion match before calling it."

Been on this screen for 10 minutes and counting. Think something is broken. What's really notable is that all the sound is gone except for the hollering of the allied soldiers. Since its the start of the match and they are all right next to me, its an endless cacophony of YEAAAHHH and RAAAAAAA. It reminds me of a Chivalry match.

VVV alt+tab exists and I wanted to see just how hosed it was. Nice try with the unnecessary snark though.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Feb 17, 2017

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
why would you stare at a network screen for ten minutes? have you never used the internet before?

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
What's broken about the matchmaking?

Nov 3, 2015

Turtlicious posted:

What's broken about the matchmaking?

Everything?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
it doesn't matchmake very well.

ShimmyGuy
Jan 12, 2008

One morning, Shimmy awoke to find he was a awesome shiny bug.
As a terrible player I have found lawbringer to be a blast. Shoving and throwing around people like sacks of flour is so drat satisfying. It is even forcing me to get down parrying all attacks that get thrown at me!

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I get pretty good matchups, but I played a fuckload in beta, so maybe it just takes a long time to sort out your MMR.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
My favorite part of matchmaking is when it dumps me and other low rank folks up against leaf icon level 2 poopsocker guys. :shepface:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Capn Beeb posted:

My favorite part of matchmaking is when it dumps me and other low rank folks up against leaf icon level 2 poopsocker guys. :shepface:

Level has nothing to do with skill. Most of the highest level people just spammed bot matches.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 21:57 on Feb 17, 2017

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Aye, Prestige is nothing. You can get it if you just grind out enough games. I've met plenty of Prestige 2 classes who suck at the basics like parrying and feinting.

Also, matchmaking is sorta broken: most of the time I'm up against people who have no chance. It's rare that I'm up against an enemy at the same or better skill. Makes fighting not so fun when it's just ez combo and they can't even land a hit on you. Especially when they can't even tech a guard break.

punch drunk posted:

Can you guard break Shugokis run? What do I do when they run to a choke like a bridge?

Don't bother trying. The chances of you pulling it off are slim. I'm not even sure it's possible, and the guy who said it's happened to him probably got to the end of his run and was available to get grabbed. Unblockable charges aren't grab breakable, I don't believe.

My best advice would be not to fight Shugoki in tight places that have cliffs / ledges nearby. If he charges and misses, his hitbox still pushes you over and can knock you off the edge. I've seen it happen so much on that map with the bridge that has big gaping holes in the floor. He also has that bull-rush run that can knock you off the edge even if it doesn't connect. So yeah, if you're up against Shugoki, fight him in an open place that gives you plenty of room to dodge to the side and out of the way.

Qubee fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Feb 17, 2017

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

1500 posted:

Everything?

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

it doesn't matchmake very well.

Just to be clear, I'm asking to help me get a better grasp on whether I want to buy the game or not, not having fair matchmaking is a huge deal for me.

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Countering GB is the only thing I can't do reliably. It's that one extra step of having to precisely time the counter. I can block anything you throw at me, but add that extra step of "wait until the precise moment of impact" and I can't do it. It'd be like having to parry every single attack instead of just blocking and it's the speed of a light attack.

I did practice mode for a good long while to get the timing down. If I know it's coming, I can get it. Otherwise, the window to cancel it is so loving tiny that my brain doesn't have time to react.

It's NBD though because they're going back to beta timing, when you you could counter as soon as you see the prompt instead of having to wait for impact.

Also valk has been my main, so I'm stoked to see some buffs coming.

(Haven't seen this link but also only read the last two pages: https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5uihyo/upcoming_gameplay_improvements/?st=izaaue2y&sh=53560093)

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Does anyone here actually abide by honoarabu duelabikahara-san unspoken rules? In most game me and my pals are horrible opportunists but in For Honour we've found ourselves allowing teams to 1v1 the person they're duelling when they're the last person standing if they allow the same for us first. Not all the time though, but sometimes.

We all dogpile the victor afterwards though.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
After like ten games or so I find matchmaking sorts itself out, at least in duel and brawl.

However, the UI is a bit clunky and it can sometimes take awhile to actually find a match. That's the only big downside.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

The problem is that its global progress so your personal contribution is just a fart in the wind. There's never going to be much real strategy to a system like that, where millions of people just pile on each side.

Are there even any benefits to having a lot of territory as a faction? Do you get some XP bonus or something?

Seems the whole thing is just pointless window dressing, but that's fine by me. The orders are all that really matters.

panda clue posted:

I get pretty good matchups, but I played a fuckload in beta, so maybe it just takes a long time to sort out your MMR.

There's a reason games like starcraft 2 or CSGO don't even try to rank you until you've played 10 matches.

And its even worse with a fresh game because everybody's ELO is just default. A good player beats a slightly less good player and his ELO goes below a bad player who beat another bad player. It takes many matches for the group to settle out.

But the more people play the more things settle out and the better the system will be able to figure out your skill and match you with people of the same.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Feb 17, 2017

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

Songbearer posted:

Does anyone here actually abide by honoarabu duelabikahara-san unspoken rules?

I can't speak for everyone, but myself? gently caress no. What a loving stupid concept.

If everyone entering the match agrees, OK, I'm not going to criticize people's preference. But getting pissed off that someone doesn't follow your own made up rules is ridiculous. I love killing people who get pissed off about honor.

Also I've never once seen someone call out their own team mates for being dishonorable. gently caress the honorabu community.

EDIT: Surprising nobody, I'm a viking.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Duder X posted:

It's NBD though because they're going back to beta timing, when you you could counter as soon as you see the prompt instead of having to wait for impact.

this is not what they are doing.

Reclaimer
Sep 3, 2011

Pierced through the heart
but never killed

Knights and samurai were all about sneaky underhanded poo poo whenever they could get away with it, this honor crap is revisionism and chivalry was always just an ideal rather than anything practical.

Vikings had dudes that wore uniforms specifically so that even their friends would know they were fair game in a fight.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

Just to be clear, I'm asking to help me get a better grasp on whether I want to buy the game or not, not having fair matchmaking is a huge deal for me.

The matchmaking is okay after your MMR gets sorted out, in 1v1 mode at least. There will also be a ranked mode coming in the future, which presumably will match you much more accurately.

Might be best to hold off and get the game on sale after ranked gets put in, since it seems MM is poo poo for a long time. I totally stomped 95% of the people I played against in both closed and open beta, and only when release came (after some 40+ hours of playing in the betas) did I finally start getting consistently put against people of a similar skill level.

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

You could explain to him what they are doing instead of making this pointless, snarky shitpost. That seems to be all you're capable of posting, though.

Zaphod42 posted:

That's not what they're doing. They're not adjusting the window or letting you spam it. They're making it so if you throw guard break and somebody lands a guard break on you first, you can still get a chance to counter it.

Its purely for a situation where both players throw guardbreaks simultaneously.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Feb 17, 2017

Nov 3, 2015

Duder X posted:

Countering GB is the only thing I can't do reliably. It's that one extra step of having to precisely time the counter. I can block anything you throw at me, but add that extra step of "wait until the precise moment of impact" and I can't do it. It'd be like having to parry every single attack instead of just blocking and it's the speed of a light attack.

I did practice mode for a good long while to get the timing down. If I know it's coming, I can get it. Otherwise, the window to cancel it is so loving tiny that my brain doesn't have time to react.

Also valk has been my main, so I'm stoked to see some buffs coming.

(Haven't seen this link but also only read the last two pages: https://www.reddit.com/r/forhonor/comments/5uihyo/upcoming_gameplay_improvements/?st=izaaue2y&sh=53560093)

The timing is not changing. Just that if you both try to GB at the same time you will still get the option of countering.

1500 fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Feb 17, 2017

Duder X
Mar 28, 2004

A 50S RAYGUN posted:

So this is wrong?

quote:

Guardbreak Counter (All Heroes):
Currently you can’t counter a guardbreak during a guardbreak attempt. This will be return to the previous behavior seen in the Beta.

EDIT:

1500 posted:

gently caress me, OK, that makes sense.

gently caress. I'll never be pro.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

panda clue posted:

The argument is that games take only a couple of minutes (less if you are losing badly) and you should just suck it up and try to learn something rather than tossing your controller and stomping off. Hell, I usually re-queue against people that 3-0 me because I want to figure out how to counter their style of play. This is what fighting games are all about.

You're sternly lecturing me about what "fighting games are all about" but let's point out an important distinction: that's what fighting game culture is all about. Sadly, For Honor is a mass market AAA game and fighting game culture is totally niche - you can't expect the majority of people to know or care about it - so what this boils down to is that you're demanding people play by your Gamer Honor Rules or be literally locked out from playing their game.

A real solution that doesn't involved fixing matchmaking is a Coach Me mode under How to Play, where you're matched with a higher skill player with voice chat and no life bar who can give you pointers and mentoring for series of five-minute rounds and set you up to triumph. This would actually address the problem and help players get better at both their fundamentals and chosen class so as to lessen the skill gap and let them feel they had a fighting chance.

Or we could, you know, let them get their face smashed in, tell them it's actually extremely good and fun for them, and lock them out of the game if they protest the only way they can.

(I've never quit a round of any fighting game, btw - but I have a few friends that have. Usually right before they quit the game for good.)

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

You're sternly lecturing me about what "fighting games are all about" but let's point out an important distinction: that's what fighting game culture is all about. Sadly, For Honor is a mass market AAA game and fighting game culture is totally niche - you can't expect the majority of people to know or care about it - so what this boils down to is that you're demanding people play by your Gamer Honor Rules or be literally locked out from playing their game.

A real solution that doesn't involved fixing matchmaking is a Coach Me mode under How to Play, where you're matched with a higher skill player with voice chat and no life bar who can give you pointers and mentoring for series of five-minute rounds and set you up to triumph. This would actually address the problem and help players get better at both their fundamentals and chosen class so as to lessen the skill gap and let them feel they had a fighting chance.

Or we could, you know, let them get their face smashed in, tell them it's actually extremely good and fun for them, and lock them out of the game if they protest the only way they can.

(I've never quit a round of any fighting game, btw - but I have a few friends that have. Usually right before they quit the game for good.)

git gud

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If I'm playing a 2v2 and I beat my opponent and the other guy is fighting my friend and they're having a good duel, I'll often wait and let them fight and then either my buddy wins or I get to do a cool 1v1 with the winner afterwards.

But if other people start ganging up in 2v2 or 4v4 I don't get salty about it, that's the game. If anything I'll just adjust and start doing the same thing back. (Although you don't wanna just spam and give people free revenge)

The same goes for people bitching about dudes leaving after a 1v1 though. That's just as salty. If people wanna fight you again, cool. If they wanna take a break or play a different game mode instead, cool. Don't take it so personally that somebody didn't let you beat them twice in a row, jesus.

I will often hang around and play the same guy if I lose so I can see if I can turn it around, but not always.

Also: Ubisoft really needs to just add in an "honorable duels" or "duel lobby" mode so if people want that they can just play that already. Its a pretty obvious thing and oversight on their part, along with some kind of a loving FACTION MODE that you actually play, but we know that there's free modes coming in updates so its just a matter of when.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Leaving in the middle of a match is poor sport in literally any game, so much so that they punish you for doing it in most of the competitive online games on the market. This isn't some sort of novelty.

This would get abused to the moon and back. Come on, you know how people on the internet are. No one is going to altruistically queue up to help some poor random sap.

I don't think anyone cares about consistent leavers 'quitting the game for good', which is why punishing people that do so in online games is quite common. Most studios would rather make their core audience that are going to stick around happy rather than the ragequitters who are going to quit on a whim because they didn't like the latest balance patch.

I don't see a big issue in locking someone out of queuing again for 5-15 minutes if they consistently quit out of games.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Feb 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
I had a match where a person I was duelling left just before I was about to kill them, was replaced by a full health bot, who then killed me.

A round passes, then I'm fighting the same bot, who gets replaced by a full health player when I was just about to kill them, who then killed me.

:suicide: