Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

samu3lk posted:

More Dark Souls chat: I like that the messaging system rewards you for having your messages rated. I'm doing another playthrough of DS3 and it's legit part of my strategy to leave goofy messages everywhere. I've actually been saved during boss fights by somebody rating one of my messages out of nowhere and giving me a free heal.

I just had this image of someone who's preternaturally gifted at leaving helpful and/or entertaining messages to the point where they don't even understand Dark Souls is supposed to be hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Cleretic posted:

I just had this image of someone who's preternaturally gifted at leaving helpful and/or entertaining messages to the point where they don't even understand Dark Souls is supposed to be hard.

I'm imagining this person being Ken M.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Recently finished Headhunter on the Dreamcast, and I'm surprised at the sheer audacity the game had to end on triggering a global pandemic of Ebola. You save the world, a newscast comes up about your success with a following piece on a mysterious satellite signal coming from the sunken Queen of Hearts that they're just getting to the surface now. That causes the news broadcast to be overridden by the psychotropic X-Must commercial that triggers the dormant virus in millions of innocent people... :suspense:.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Recently finished Headhunter on the Dreamcast, and I'm surprised at the sheer audacity the game had to end on triggering a global pandemic of Ebola. You save the world, a newscast comes up about your success with a following piece on a mysterious satellite signal coming from the sunken Queen of Hearts that they're just getting to the surface now. That causes the news broadcast to be overridden by the psychotropic X-Must commercial that triggers the dormant virus in millions of innocent people... :suspense:.

Holy poo poo Headhunter. Somehow one of the very few ps2 games i owned for a long time. I just remember the ps2 version was glitched, and somewhere near the end was a door that could not be opened. I tried beating the game again, and same problem. Looked online and it's a known issue with no way to solve it, game just ends prematurely and anti-climatically with an unlockable door.

Moly B. Denum
Oct 26, 2007

Cleretic posted:

This was Dark Souls 2 on launch for me. I left "Try jog, fatty" in the narrow pathway out of the tutorial area, and I pretty much never needed to heal for the next few hours.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Moly B. Denum posted:

This was Dark Souls 2 on launch for me. I left "Try jog, fatty" in the narrow pathway out of the tutorial area, and I pretty much never needed to heal for the next few hours.

I left a message in that one bonfire before the iron king boss fight, the one inside the giant bull statue. I think it said "Bull Ahead" or something equally stupid. That single message basically kept me fueled for the rest of the game. I even hid it right in the tip of the nose, behind the stairs and poo poo so people had to go out of their way to find it. "Skeleton Ahead, Hurrah Skeleton" was another good one. Just leave that everywhere.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Holy poo poo Headhunter. Somehow one of the very few ps2 games i owned for a long time. I just remember the ps2 version was glitched, and somewhere near the end was a door that could not be opened. I tried beating the game again, and same problem. Looked online and it's a known issue with no way to solve it, game just ends prematurely and anti-climatically with an unlockable door.

PS2 ports of Dreamcast games seem to wind up buggy as poo poo. Grandia 2's port is notriously crap.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Good things come to those who can find the right place for a Fatty message.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Doesn't matter how many times I see it in Bloodborne, your level-up Doll lady nodding off to sleep never fails at making me giggle.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
The only thing I've ever known about Headhunter is Jack's Theme and that's only because they used parts of it a whole lot in the early seasons of GameCenter CX. Those couple of portions are probably never going to leave my head.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SGrN_RD86C4

Kanfy has a new favorite as of 11:18 on Feb 17, 2017

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

I played Headhunter on the Dreamcast - I think it might have been one of the last games released on it.

Remember it being bizarrely ambitious - having an open world for no apparent reason and kind of a Metal Gear gameplay vibe. I do remember its bonkers plot quite well though.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I always remember it as one of those games I forever toyed with buying but never actually did, like Spyhunter and Stuntman.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mr. Flunchy posted:

I played Headhunter on the Dreamcast - I think it might have been one of the last games released on it.

Remember it being bizarrely ambitious - having an open world for no apparent reason and kind of a Metal Gear gameplay vibe. I do remember its bonkers plot quite well though.

Headhunter is seriously worth at least a watch in a Lets Play for the story. Jack Wade has some absolutely fantastic glib remarks as only a 90's action hero can :allears:. The gameplay's... functional for most of it, but there's a stretch in the middle with some absolute bullshit.

Hell, here's SelinicMartian's LP of it, that's what got me interested to grab a copy for myself in the first place.

Incidentally, it's fascinating to see a game that rips off others in a pre-GTA III world. Once you do the VR training segments, it instantly becomes apparent as to where the open-world bike sections have come from; Crazy Taxi. No, seriously, go have a look. You drive to floating circles on the map, and have to stop so your passenger driver can dismount. And hitting cars or obstacles costs you major money points, while driving at full-speed for long periods of time gets you more money points to level up with faster.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo
Still having fun in Destiny. I've now gotten all the dead Ghosts, and am more than halfway through obtaining the Dreadnaught's version of same, the Calcified Fragments.

People who think the Hive are uninteresting space zombies aren't getting the picture - The lore here is pretty great, and showcases why the Hive and Taken became the primary antagonists of a major expansion. I'm still liking having to run around and dig for the lore, instead of it just being dumped on me with a huge ball of narration.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Exit Strategy posted:

Still having fun in Destiny. I've now gotten all the dead Ghosts, and am more than halfway through obtaining the Dreadnaught's version of same, the Calcified Fragments.

People who think the Hive are uninteresting space zombies aren't getting the picture - The lore here is pretty great, and showcases why the Hive and Taken became the primary antagonists of a major expansion. I'm still liking having to run around and dig for the lore, instead of it just being dumped on me with a huge ball of narration.

I think people's biggest issue with the lore isn't the content, just that you have to go to an external (from the game) website to read it. With no indication to do so.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Exit Strategy posted:

drat shame the game presents them as generic boring rear end zombies
No I don't think I should have to read a goddamn novela outside of the game in a different website in chunks after tediously collecting all the bits and bobs scattered across the samey environment, go to hell

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

synthetik posted:

I think people's biggest issue with the lore isn't the content, just that you have to go to an external (from the game) website to read it. With no indication to do so.

I don't know about you, but my favorite part of Mass Effect was sitting in front of my television or monitor, having a novella read to me. Much easier and more engaging than having that poo poo on my phone to read at my leisure.

(I'm saying I like the companion app for Destiny, it's a fantastic thing. Also, every time you collect a thing it says "go to bungie.net for more details", which is a pretty solid indication to go to the site.)

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The backstory is good but there's been a *lot* of Hive content, give someone else a chance.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Exit Strategy posted:

I don't know about you, but my favorite part of Mass Effect was sitting in front of my television or monitor, having a novella read to me. Much easier and more engaging than having that poo poo on my phone to read at my leisure.

(I'm saying I like the companion app for Destiny, it's a fantastic thing. Also, every time you collect a thing it says "go to bungie.net for more details", which is a pretty solid indication to go to the site.)

The problem is as great as poo poo is it'd be better if it was integrated into the game in a way that was interesting, such as the main story. The storyline really doesn't explain dick all and it should do more.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

RagnarokAngel posted:

The problem is as great as poo poo is it'd be better if it was integrated into the game in a way that was interesting, such as the main story. The storyline really doesn't explain dick all and it should do more.

Yeah, this is my issue with it exactly. The game starts with Peter Dinklage or Nolan North or whoever waking you up from being dead for centuries, drags your rear end to the Tower, and then suddenly it's like your character is expected to know the ins and outs of Guardian life and the ongoing wars against four different races. Exposition is helpful sometimes.

Calaveron posted:

samey environment

lolwhat

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Exit Strategy posted:

I honestly can't tell where you fall on this subject.

I actually DO enjoy stories in video game format, especially one as good as Mass Effect. And would much rather watch a story unfold in live action than read it on my phone

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

timp posted:

I honestly can't tell where you fall on this subject.

I actually DO enjoy stories in video game format, especially one as good as Mass Effect. And would much rather watch a story unfold in live action than read it on my phone

Here you go, then. Yes, Destiny could use more actual exposition in game. However, the most boring thing in the god-damned universe is the Mass Effect Codex, and the Destiny Grimoire is superior in every measurable way.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Exit Strategy posted:

Here you go, then. Yes, Destiny could use more actual exposition in game. However, the most boring thing in the god-damned universe is the Mass Effect Codex, and the Destiny Grimoire is superior in every measurable way.

Except Mass Effect gives you enough detail about events and technology in-game to understand what is going on. The Codex just adds extra details as trivia instead of vital key plot points.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

Exit Strategy posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about the Codex, didn't realize that was what you were referencing.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

Yeah, this is my issue with it exactly. The game starts with Peter Dinklage or Nolan North or whoever waking you up from being dead for centuries, drags your rear end to the Tower, and then suddenly it's like your character is expected to know the ins and outs of Guardian life and the ongoing wars against four different races. Exposition is helpful sometimes.

lolwhat

The first time the player meets the Speaker he literally goes like "I could tell you about the time the Traveller fought the Darkness and all the rad as gently caress poo poo I will forever allude to... But I won't now get the gently caress out"

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Destiny is an interesting case study because it's been worked on continuously for two and a half years. By the time The Taken King (expansion 3, one year in) came out they had finally figured out a good way to tell stories in the game and added enough features to start using it. The content created after that point is almost night-and-day better, mission sequences have clear through-lines and side stories or interstitial tasks spin off them in a natural progression. There are even appealing, funny characters who aren't just spouting portentous buzzwords at you. Then they went back and added a bunch of connective fluff to the base game content. The dialog in the cutscenes themselves hasn't changed (so the speaker thing and "no time to explain why I don't have time to explain" are still there), but you get led to things for reasons now and they're organized into storylines instead of popping up at random on the map sometimes.

Glukeose
Jun 6, 2014

"I don't have time to explain why I don't have time to explain" was the line that taught me I would never actually learn anything about Destiny's universe.

For a little thing I'm enjoying in a game, the quick-chat system in For Honor only has messages with positive connotations. So even if the enemy is having a salt-fueled breakdown, they can only spam "Good Fight!" or "Wow!" It's good.

Edit: On consoles, that is. Thankfully the PS4 community seems to be devoid of microphones.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite thing about the Crota expansion is the one little grimoire card about how Crota apparently beat a Guardian to death with his dinklebot.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The best piece of Destiny lore is that guardians being assholes is 100% canon as there's a grimoire thing that has Cabal stating that survivors spotted the guardians scavenging for loot, dancing and doing acrobatics on their sparrows.

There's also another piece that explains that the PvP Crucible maps are chosen because they are areas that need to be guarded, and offering guardians incentives to shoot each other in the face is the best way to keep them all in one place, otherwise they'll wander off to search for shiny things.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Is this full circle? I feel like it is

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Since this is the PYF thread and not the sister thread I'll repeat that I loving love Destiny despite its flaws and more games need to have straight-up laser space guns. I would kill for a colorful, goofy futuristic Battlefield.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
So what like...Borderlands?

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

food court bailiff posted:

Since this is the PYF thread and not the sister thread I'll repeat that I loving love Destiny despite its flaws and more games need to have straight-up laser space guns. I would kill for a colorful, goofy futuristic Battlefield.

How about an AK47 that shoots lightning

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Joey Freshwater posted:

So what like...Borderlands?

Hmmm yeah except I said "like Battlefield" and not "like lovely FPS Diablo" so actually not really, at all. I like the art style and the guns in Borderlands but I'm talking big objective-based multiplayer maps here, dude.

E: the only way I can think of where your post makes any sense is if you've literally never played either a Battlefield game or a Borderlands game

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 23:55 on Feb 17, 2017

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Exit Strategy posted:

Then maybe it should actually be in the loving game, not some lovely app or website.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Glukeose posted:

For a little thing I'm enjoying in a game, the quick-chat system in For Honor only has messages with positive connotations. So even if the enemy is having a salt-fueled breakdown, they can only spam "Good Fight!" or "Wow!" It's good.

At the start, half time and end of match csgo matchmaking used to let teams talk to each other with mics. I ended up having to mute the entire other team preemptively every time because there was always at least one screaming retard 5-6 people screaming was way more common. I don't miss it at all. That sounds like a better system. There's nothing of value to be gained talking to opposing randoms ever.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Exit Strategy posted:

The hive are really cool, they just don't do enough with them despite having had two whole bloody expansions. The oryx fight was poo poo. The crota raid was really cool, but unless you really want one weapon, that's poo poo, and two ships then there's no real reason to do it because you can't upgrade the gear to match current armor levels. But gameplay-wise the bulk of hive levels are just uninteresting space zombies. Then sometimes you fight space necromancers that summon more space zombies and shoot space magic at you. I'd take it over the fallen any day, sure. But after doing all the content for two expansions, they've kind of worn out that welcome especially with the implication that there's still a ton of hive content left to do.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Cool rear end sermons of vivec style backstory can only do so much. At the end of the day all these infinite space gods are killed by a jedi space marine by shooting them a lot of times, which kind of dampens destiny's story a bit IMO.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Goofballs posted:

At the start, half time and end of match csgo matchmaking used to let teams talk to each other with mics. I ended up having to mute the entire other team preemptively every time because there was always at least one screaming retard 5-6 people screaming was way more common. I don't miss it at all. That sounds like a better system. There's nothing of value to be gained talking to opposing randoms ever.

team fortress 2 had some very casual servers which left the voice chat on alltalk, and they were really improved by it. That game mostly had a fantastic community at the time though. In most games, letting teams talk to each other using voip sounds like a recipe for cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Yeah, I feel that possibility for intolerable shitheads increases with both the cheapness and length of time a game is out. Kill the poor! But really though the probability for positive interaction has to approach zero very quickly esp if a game is intended to be close or non random.